August 21, 2014 | 1785 users online

Liquid - Chanel - Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2011 4:49:00 PM More reviews by nattyngeorge

I've read several reviews for Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, and the majority of the reviews stated that this particular foundation looks best when applied with the fingers. I tend to use more product when I use my fingers, but I'm not a huge fan of using my fingers because my dry hands will just soak up the product. I first moisturize my face using a little DDF Oil-Free Moisturizing Dew (after watching Goss' video about how its better to use a water based moisturizer with a water based foundation) and I apply the foundation like I normally would any foundation. I squeezed out a small amount and placed a dot on each cheek, nose, chin and forehead. Then, with my Sigma F80 brush, I lightly buffed it in my skin with small circular motions. I then placed a tiny bit more product on my cheeks to build the coverage and again, buffed it in with my brush.

The consistency is a bit different than any foundation I think I've tried. I figured because it's water based, it would be really thin and watery. It's incredibly light and has an airy, whipped texture. Once applied to the face, you can really tell it water based because it has that slight cooling sensation of water. The color seemed to oxidize slightly after a few minutes, but it didn't oxidize too dark, orange, etc. The color is perfect. I was a little surprised by the coverage. It evened out my skintone beautifully and even covered my blemishes pretty good. It's a light coverage and can be layered easily to medium coverage. The finish is a lovely illuminating satin. I'm wearing it right now and it still looks great after almost 7 hours, with the exception that my chin and nose has become a little shiny. Would definitely recommend trying it out! Oh, BTW I use B30 Beige Sable and I'm a MAC NC30, Guerlain Parure Extreme #3 & it's perfect!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/16/2011 3:32:00 PM More reviews by sandrathp

I wouldn't call this a foundation but more of a tinted moisturizer b/c it is very watery and if you layer it, it can work as a foundation but would feel very greasy even if it is oil free. Really not a proper canvas for a makeup application, will make eyeshadow, blush, highlighter slip right off. Also, you need to shake the bottle at least a whole minute to mix well the substance in order to have the shade perfectly blended w/ a smooth application. Still, very watery. Didn't do anything to beautify my skin. Also, there is no shade light enough. I got it in BR20 and it was too dark pink and B10 was too dark yellow and the colors really do show even w/ one single layer. Even if the formula is oil free, it still feels very greasy and absolutely too moisturizing for summer. The only thing nice about it, is that it doesn't create any flakiness nor does it highlight any dry patches you may have when most foundations do... really similar to a tinted moisturizer. This was actually the only foundation that didn't accentuate pores or dry areas of the skin. If you find the right shade for you, then it could look nice the first hour... but if you wear it after a couple hours, it will start to get darker w/ oxidizing and could become greasy mixed w/ your skins natural face oils...so this is not good without touch ups every hour. Conclusion: This is definitely a tinted moisturizer and nothing close to a liquid foundation w/ the benefits of being quite natural --although containing alcohol which is not recommended for any skin. If you are looking for something similar w/ much better results, try the Dior Skin Nude...it is perfect and does all it claims to do, plus it i gives sheer, medium to full coverage w/ a color selection that start very fair w/ neutral undertones available + lasts several hours...the only downside is that it absolutely doesn't last very long b/f he product starts to expire and turn bad since this formula is mineral based w/ minimal chemicals or preservatives. Although healthier for the skin, you need to use it in less than 3 months tops. This is probably due to the ingredients which are supposed to be very natural based on minerals w/ less chemicals than the foundations in the other lines. Perhaps would work best and last longer when stored in a very cool place.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2011 9:43:00 AM More reviews by feikku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I feel like a party pooper writing this review, but oh well..

This is generally a good foundation. It feels very light, and super easy to apply. It has a sheer-medium coverage which is nice for the summer. I tried it in B30 and it goes perfectly with my *slightly* tanned Asian skintone.

What I don't like about this is that it is perfumed, and the scent smelled like cheap plastic today. It has a different scent to me everyday, lol. Also, it's water based, but I don't think it keeps my skin hydrated for long, and oil control is so-so. I much prefer my Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer, as the results are same, but Cliniques just feels better on my skin.

And last, but not least, the price is kind of severe, especially in Europe. Will not be purchasing this for now.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2011 1:33:00 AM More reviews by Eastend_Snob

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'd been happily using Becca LSC for about 8 months when I decided that it was time for something new. Although I loved my Becca, there was always that lingering sensation that it was just a little too "sticky" for my liking. After scoping out all the latest in bases, I found my new barely there foundation with light to medium coverage and matte finish in Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua shade B20 Beige Tendre. I've previously used Chanel foundations with variable results, the best being Teint Innocence which is now sadly discontinued. But Vitalumiere Aqua is infinitely superior. It is super duper easy to apply with brush or fingers, leaves a beautifully soft and glowy finish to the skin and stays on all day! I've been using this for a month with no issues regarding breaking out or flaking. However, two things I do not like about this product are (1) the packaging, you need to shake the bottle REALLY HARD to emulsify the foundation before squeezing REALLY HARD to get it out and (2) the price, $77AUD is pretty steep but its definitely worth it in the end.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2011 7:55:00 PM More reviews by MsCatty333

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I finally succumbed to all the hype and purchased this foundation at Myers in Australia for the full price of AUD77!!!

I thought I had found my HG foundation years ago in Chanel's Matt Lumiere. Back then I had oily skin which was prone to breakouts. The Matt Lumiere does an excellent job of evening out my skin tone and also concealing my freckles. And it does it without me having to feel like I have foundation all over my skin which is fab!

And then I tried the Vitalumiere Aqua and hello!!!

This little baby is not only packaged well (love the teeny, tiny, chic bottle!) but has a fabulous smell which my Matt Lumiere does not. Every time I apply it (with fingers), the smell evokes memories of my Mummy and how I would watch her apply her makeup when I was a child. The smell doesn't last all day which is also fine by me.

The formula is as sheer as anything and goes on so smoothy! I am currently on Roaacutane and have dry skin now but this foundation doesn't emphasise any dry lines. It's VERY lightweight so for those used to heavy foundations may find it a bit too sheer but I love it!

I set it with Chanel's Translucent Powder but you hardly need to do that either.

I love it so much that I will put on my makeup even though I have no where to go!! :):)

Try it ladies, you'll love it :):)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2011 7:14:00 PM More reviews by wigsnatcher

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

This is the only make up product I have ever used that looks better at the end of the day than in the beginning. There's something about this foundation that works with your skin rather than against it, however there are days when this does not cut it for me.

As many others have said, coverage is one notch above a tinted moisturiser; it will be good enough to cover redness but concealer will be required for blemishes. This product is supposed to be buildable but the most widely available colour range (Beige) is extremely yellow toned - personally I can't even get medium coverage out of it without looking a bit jaundiced. However, a thin layer of shade B10 blends into my neutral pale skin almost effortlessly and sets within seconds; in fact I almost get annoyed at how quickly it seamlessly blends and settles into my skin!

In the morning when I have first applied this, it almost looks like I am barefaced. The finish is normal skin texture. After concealer I apply complexion enhancer, blush and then finish off with Guerlain Meterorites. As the day wears on the foundation seems to absorb the other products so they too look totally seamless. Far from disappearing, my skin looks more perfected as the hours go by and, though the coverage from this foundation is minimal to begin with, it stays put really well - better than heavier duty foundations like LM Silk Creme and with far less oxidation compared to DiorSkin Nude. I have normal to mildly dry skin and this does not make my dry areas worse. When I do get oily or sweaty this doesn't seem to budge or melt on my skin.

I rate this foundation five stars overall because it is exceptionally good for what it is - a light coverage base, great for building upon with other products but not so wonderful for traditional foundation tasks like masking flaws or improving texture.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2011 2:22:00 PM More reviews by rjcromie

I don't know what to say to do this foundation justice! I have finally found my HG foundation. I literally melts into the skin with such ease, leaving behind even-toned, beautiful skin without looking like I have any makeup on. I have been using this for about a month now, and since I bought it I haven't been able to wear any of my other foundations becase they feel too heavy and look so cakey by comparison. Usually I'll use 2-3 different foundations during the week, depending on how I feel that day, but since VL Aqua I haven't touched any of them. This foundation has surprisingly good coverage and wear time considering how light and watery it is. Some people have objected to the smell. Personally, I really like it - it smells sort of floral and fresh. I do set this with a powder (Mac MSFN) down my T-zone and my combo skin remains pretty shine-free throughout the day. I usualy touch up with powder after work if I'm going somewhere, but aside from that it's pretty low-maintenance. The only bad things I can think of to say are the price and the fact that the little ball inside the bottle to shake it up always gets stuck in the neck and blocks the foundation coming out. But I can live with that! I am prepared to pay the price considering I won't be shelling out to try other new foundations anymore. I still really like Diorskin Nude foundation for evening times or when I want a bit of heavier coverage, but as far as an everyday foundation goes, VL Aqua all the way!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2011 1:31:00 PM More reviews by LeonieE

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this fd after using the vitalumiere and I think this fd is much better. The coverage of this fd is better, allthough it is still not the fd I am looking for. One thing I do find strange, is that with the vitalumiere and the vitalumiere aqua, I have the same nr but the colour is not the same! The vitalumiere is way to orange for me, but the same nr with the aqua is perfect for me in the winter. So do trie it before you buy the same nr you always use, because it can be a different colour. Other then that I was pretty happy with this one, but for days I want to cover up a little bit more, this fd is just not it for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2011 12:51:00 PM More reviews by Insidia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I love almost everything about Chanel VA, and it's a very low-maintenance foundation to boot.
Formula & finish: VA has a very lightweight, thin, water-based formula -- you must shake it before use! It is oil-free and contains SPF 15, although it is fragranced (with a lovely scent, I might add). It has a natural finish, not overly dewy but certainly not flat matte. I do set with powder, and it lasts reasonably well throughout the day, even on my oily skin. It has not clogged my pores or broken me out at all and it feels like there's nothing on my skin.
Coverage: VA is a light coverage foundation that can be built up to medium coverage without looking cakey. It easily covers any redness or mild unevenness in my skin tone, although if you have any more prominent imperfections, you will still need to spot conceal.
Packaging, price, etc: The packaging is plastic, which makes it functional and good for travel but not very luxurious. It is also expensive, like all things Chanel. However, as I love the formula and it agrees with my skin, I would repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2011 5:11:00 PM More reviews by muffingrl

I love this foundation! I tried this out at the Chanel counter at my local Nordstrom after hearing so many rave reviews on youtube. The SA matched me to B20 and B30, I ended up with the B20 because I thought it gave a more brightening effect whereas the B30 gave me a more tanned look. I am an NC20-25 in MAC terms. The texture is rather strange since the water separates from the foundation, you MUST shake well before use or you'll end up with a big watery mess on your hand. The Vitalumiere Aqua gives me light to medium coverage, the makeup is undetectable. It just looks like you've laid a perfect veil of skin over your own. One nickel size does my whole face, I use an additional layer to achieve medium coverage. The finish is very natural, not too matte or dewey, once again, it looks like skin. I do powder my whole face with a thin layer of translucent powder to help it stay because it is not a long wearing foundation, it lasts about 6 hours. Overall, I love the effect it gives and I will repurchase.