October 22, 2014 | 1867 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Acne Wash

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2008 6:26:00 PM More reviews by Scarlett0722

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using this product since I was 13...so 8 years. It was recommended to me by my dermatologist at the time and I have continued to use it since. I love it because it takes off all my makeup. Even my eye makeup, which is great, b/c I refuse to buy eye makeup remover. I want it all off in one swipe. Which is what this stuff does. I do agree that it is drying at times and wouldn't recommend it for dry skin. I usually follow this up with a toner and other acne treatments and moisturizer, so I have no prob with the drying-ness of it. I will continue to buy it.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/27/2008 11:58:00 PM More reviews by icesk8ter326

It says it works good, and its like their classic face wash almost, but it only keeps your skin not oily for like an hour unless your skin doesn't produce any oil, then...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2008 9:49:00 PM More reviews by sparky17

Not mild, not effective, smells icky. It stripped my skin and ruined my week. An enthusiastic thumbs down for this product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2008 6:20:00 PM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Did nothing for my acne other than make me drier than dry and look older than old. This may be good for an oily teenager but not adult acne. It left me parched for weeks after only 2 uses. Not a fan of most of this line. Cheap ingredients and if you look at the ingredients there are a few known irritants in it. Everyone things their stuff is gentle but it's just full of man made chemicals.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2008 11:31:00 PM More reviews by hotAsFiya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

EDITED REVIEW: So I've tried just about every cleanser out there and they all SUCK. I know my derm said not to use any medicated cleansers but 1. I've slowed down on how often I use retinods and 2. Like I said, everything else sucks.
So let me just recap and summarize my original review: Basically I've been using this cleanser for years and I *thought* it was tearing my skin up because it was stripping and drying my skin out. But, I also did mention that this was the only cleanser that has kept my skin clear, with or without retinoid usage. I think the irritation I experienced was most likely some sort of dermatitis from retinoid over-use and that has been taken care of. I have no more irritation, except for the agony I've been suffering from trying so many different cleansers (eheem, check my swap list for proof).
Edit to today, and I'm soooo happy I'm using this again. This cleanser helps me exfoliate my skin, especially all the crusty stuff left behind on those few days I do use retinoids. The dryness I experience is easily taken care of with some moisturizer. I've also experienced some swelling from other cleanser and boy oh boy did I look fugly. I would then wash my face a couple of times with this and the swelling would just disappear!!! I think Neutrogena must know my genetic facial code or some s**t cuz this is *the* only cleanser that works for me. I never have to use a separate m/u remover, calms my skin, makes me look and feel just beautiful and over the years It has prevented my skin from breaking out.
I also mentioned in a previous review that my son had a heat rash over the summer and started getting a few breakouts. He used this once and the little bumps completely dried out. My daughter uses it in the summer also when she gets little pimples and my DH has also been hooked on this for years and his skin is gorgeous!
After my horrible experiences and so much money wasted with tons of other cleansers I've decided to just stop the non-sense and realize this is my staple, HG cleanser. I have backup bottles, different formulas (cream and foam) and the wipes in my gym bag. My Dove beauty bar is also there for when my skin gets a little too dry so I'm all set.
ADDING MORE: Had a visit with my derm and he actually talked about how good this cleanser is and to continue using it. He also said that the cetaphil was indeed irritating because of that sulfa something stuff in it. LOL. Not quite sure what it is.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2008 2:20:00 PM More reviews by joannaprokop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very oily skin and this product is nothing short of a miracle. If you have an oily skin, this will work great.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/22/2008 10:48:00 PM More reviews by xcaramelissa

I'm always searching for a new face cleanser to use because i have mild acne that will never go away. I found this product because it looked like a nice, simple non-irritating cleanser. Turns out this product ended up drying out my already dry and oily skin, then it went on to help worsen the acne. Not good! I ended up going to the dermatologist and she says she wouldn't recommend it =/

rated 2 of 5 on 2/17/2008 7:34:00 PM More reviews by missnattii

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This cleanser doesn't work on everyone. I have stubborn acne that never goes away. I wanted a simple skin care routine so I bought the foaming version of this cleanser and hoped for the best. I used it once in the morning and once at night. I never wore any make-up, but the cleanser still didn't work. Don't let Vanessa Hudgen's commercial for this product suck you into buying it. It only works for some people with occasional acne. Too weak for people with moderate to mild acne. I gave it two stars because I have heard some really good success stories. If you think it'll work for you, give it a shot. It isn't a lot of money. Anyways, I use Biore Skin Care products now and they seem to be helping a lot. I only have a pimple or two left. =]]]

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2008 2:34:00 AM More reviews by barbiedollcurves

Back in the 6th grade I freaked out when I got my first batch of pimples streaming my forehead. I saw commericals for this on TV and I've always sort of been drawn to Neutrogena because of the pretty products and packaging. But this did nothing for my acne. It dried me out. Dermotologist Recommended? Wtf? are they blinddd. this stuff really has no help.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2008 4:51:00 PM More reviews by chelle1718

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hated it!! dried my skin out and irrated my acne. Haven't used since high school.