October 2, 2014 | 1438 users online

Eye Primer - Urban Decay - Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original (UDPP)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2005 1:20:00 PM More reviews by purrlaperla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is such a great product! I've always had issues with my eye makeup fading or smearing after a few hours because I have oily lids. This primer potion takes care of that. My makeup survived a 10hr. day at Disneyland in 82degree weather, no problem :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2005 8:46:00 PM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

this stuff is awesome and i would never have purchased it if it wasnt for the raves....the color of the potion itself is a fleshtone-beige...comes in a cool looking genie in a bottle..but its a pain to scrape all the product out once its almost finished...it cost $14 at my local ULTA.....this really brings out the color of my e/s...including the cheap ones!! *UPDATE* i prefer lancome's colour dose in montego beige better...for me,the PP streaks my shadows a bit....CD's texture is better and u need an extremely tiny amount to cover the eye and it takes a few seconds to dry..love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2005 7:37:00 PM More reviews by gingerneko

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I should note for the record that I am one of those girls who has a horrid time with eye makeup's durability. While my skin is largely dry, my lids tend to be a bit oily, and eyeshadow tends to just slide right off. Eyeliner tends to smudge and smear on me, no matter how good it is (the only one that didn't budge before today was MAC's Fluidline).

So, it's an accomplishment for me to be able to say that I sit here writing 11 hours after putting on my makeup, and it's still exactly where I applied it and looking just as good as it did this morning. Today is the first time in my life I can say that. Not at all coincidentally, today is the first time I used UD's Primer Potion. I applied it both on the lid to the browbone, and in a thin line under the bottom lashline where I use eyeliner - and I cannot believe what a difference it's made. It's rare that I look at a makeup item I paid $14 for and think to myself, "I'd pay double for this without blinking." Liners apply smoothly and with high pigmentation over PP, as do shadows. The colors stay true and vivid. It's utterly amazing how much of the actual *color* shows over PP. It's also amazing that none of it sinks into my somewhat-deep crease (as is my norm) or makes me look like I have stripes of color on my lids. It's smooth like buttah, girls.

My only problem occurred when I tried to blend - the PP made blending eyeshadows a bit more of a production than usual. This is easily alleviated by learning techniques to work with it, and with practice, I'm sure this problem will disappear. It just took a bit more brushwork to make the colors blend smoothly. I don't consider this a shortcoming of the product, however; this is merely proof that it does exactly what it's supposed to do, from the moment you first apply makeup over it.

This is a five-lippie product, and I say that with no reservation whatsoever. I can now imagine doing things with my MU that I couldn't do before out of fear of having it dripping onto my cheeks inside four hours. If you wear eye makeup at all and don't own Primer Potion, get it -- it'll be the most beautiful fourteen bucks you've ever spent. (Well, the effects will be -- the packaging kind of looks like Barbie's First Vibrator. But who cares? What's inside is well worth it!)

EDITED FOR ADDITIONAL COMMENTARY, 1/30/2014:

Almost ten years ago, this was my HG primer -- I loved it. When I got back into wearing e/s, I bought a fresh tube, and then I discovered that UDPP was no longer a godsend for me. I was thirtysomething when I wrote the review initially -- and now, at fortysomething, I find this is too chalky and drying for sensitive, aging eyelids.

I haven't tried the anti-aging formula of this yet, but I can say that the 'original recipe' is no longer something I can see myself using, because it does settle into the lines on my lids and makes my shadow look awful, even when it was used with an eye cream underneath.

Because it doesn't work as well for more mature users, I decided to drop this rating a lippie. I'm pretty sure it's still as awesome for the younger folks out there, but I can't recommend it for over-40 users.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2005 6:31:00 PM More reviews by blueaygi

I absolutely need a primer before i put on eye shadow because of my oily lids. when i first opened the tube i was surprised to find that the primer potion is VERY creamy and thick. i didn't think it would make my eye shadow last for longer than 2 hours. i was pleasantly surprised to find that my eye shadow last all day with no sign of fading.a little bit of it goes a long way. i'll be purchasing this from now on intead of the concealer from Elizabeth Arden that i used before.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2005 4:25:00 PM More reviews by spamela74

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I long ignored eye shadow before discovering this product. My eyelids are dark and oily, nothing showed up on them. Now that I've found it, I can't remember making up without it. This primer truly holds eyeshadow forever and intensifies it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2005 11:54:00 PM More reviews by vampsandtramps

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

What else can I say? My eyeshadow did not crease, all day long, which has never happened before. I love this above all other primers because it doesn't muddy the e/s color (are you listening Paula Dorf?) It's invisible on the lids but the difference is amazing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2005 9:28:00 PM More reviews by Kirstie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well, I have to add to the raves for this product. It really does make my shadow last longer and apply more evenly. I must say that I do hate the tacky packaging (it reminds me of a Barbie accessory of some sort) and it feels as though there is not much productin the tube, but time will tell. I did have to figure out the application a bit. For me, it works better if I sponge a bit onto my lids and then pat it out with my finger. I also use it on my lower lash line to keep my eyeliner from smudging there...

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2005 6:04:00 PM More reviews by GemS

*Sigh* Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to add to all the other raves for this primer. After reading all the rave reviews, I was hoping this would be THE miracle product for crease-free eyeshadows on my super oily eyelids. Sadly, my e/s still crease with this stuff. Now, it's not all bad. The Primer Potion does allow e/s too glide on very smoothly and intensifies the colour. My eyeshadows also stay on longer, but alas, I still get the ugly creases after a few hours. I have tried just about everything but nothing works. Buying the Primer Potion is actually quite an investment for me since I almost never buy high-end or department store products. This was really my last resort and I've pretty much given up on wearing e/s. I hope this doesn't discourage others who want to try out this primer though. I just think I have oilier eyelids than anyone else and the problem could also be due to the shape of my eyelids -- asian with very slight double lids, but the fold is very close to the lashline so everything kind of smudges together.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2005 3:12:00 AM More reviews by funkypeach1

This stuff rocks!
I have super oily eye lids. I put spend so much time putting eye makeup on to have it disappear and crease an hour later... I read some reviews on this stuff, so I tried it. My eye makeup stayed on from morning to night. Awesome awesome. Definitely will be one of my staple items that i always use.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2005 7:56:00 AM More reviews by mhotho

I live in New Orleans where it is very humid. Plus I have oily lids, but Urban Decay eye primer works wonders at keeping my shadow perfectly in place all day. It comes in a tube which is convenient for travel. Not sure how long the product will last, but I will buy it again.