Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original

4.3

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 1/26/2006 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

There are a few tricks to know about UDPP. You have to let it dry first before applying shadow over it. If you don't let it dry, it won't last all day.
I love this product. Goes on sheer and lasts all day.
The bottle is decieving. When you start to run low, or you think you are running low with the product, take the liner out of the bottle. (Take tweezers or small pliers and pull out on the clear ring at the mouth of the bottle.) When you get that out, the wand can reach the bottom better and the sides as well. You will be amazed at how much product is left.

on 1/24/2006 7:23:00 PM

UD's Primer Potion is one of my must-haves! Normally, most eye shadows wear off my lid by the end of the day. After applying Primer Potion, my eye makeup stays perfect and vibrant long into the night. I've tried several other eye bases and this one is definitely the longest-lasting!

Primer Potion comes in a slim bottle with a sponge wand applicator. I find it best to not bother with the sponge wand and use my finger for the most even coverage. It goes on smooth and velvety. I've never had a problem applying or blending my shadows on top of it. However, MAC's Shadesticks sometimes don't glide on as smoothly at first - I think it just has to do with the texture of the two coming together.

My only complaint about the Primer Potion is that you can't really tell how much is inside, and I feel like maybe they could have put a little more in the bottle. Otherwise, I highly recommend it! continued >>

on 1/23/2006 7:50:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I am jumping on the Rave Bandwagon on this product. I have had it on since 7 this morning and there is no creasing, no oiliness, and no smudging. I am VERY impressed with this product. I will definitely purchase this again.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I can't believe that this stuff got negative reviews! I have very oily lids and didn't believe that anything would help keep my e/s looking fresh. This primer is fantastic! I took it on a trip to Florida, thinking that if it could stand up to the humidity, I'd be astonished. After a day at a theme park, several car rides and a long flight back, I looked in the mirror, and &*)! My e/s looked like I had just applied it! I've been using it every day since and consider this my latest HG find.

on 1/14/2006 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Clearly this has a huge devoted following of satisfied customers. So much so that I'm actually a bit afraid to admit I'm not at all one of them, that it failed me. The opaque purple genie-esque tube, while cute, is inconvenient for me b/c I'd prefer to see how much product is left as I'm using it.

But more importantly, it felt too sparse on my lids and was dry, chalky, streaky, patchy and very unblendable. UD Primer Potion went and stayed on unevenly no matter how much or little I put on; and despite my best efforts to apply and blend it with my finger, the included sponge-tip wand, a brush or a combination of the 3. When I tried putting e/s on top of it, the shadow went on as patchy and uneven as the base under it was.

I ended up giving this unsuccessful purchase to my IRL friend who turned out to be the fellow MUA'r lotusfairy. Since then she's spoken very highly of it, describing how well it's worked for her. As for me... One of the now d/ced Flaming 5 Mini-Lipgunk Sets and Shimmer/Sparkle Sets, Ink in Naked, Lip Gunk in Shifty, Lingerie & Galoshes For Lashes... I rather like UD, however, out of my purchases from it, only the shimmer-shadows and Skyscraper Mascara in Gotham haven't disappointed me. I now have to toss UDPP onto the pile of products by this brand that have. continued >>

on 1/13/2006 4:35:00 PM

Lovely texture, nice color, uniform finish.. but (*sniff*, what a pity!) that's about all I like about Primer Potion.

All e/s start creasing and fading 5 to 10 minutes after been applied on my oily lids... and I'm talkin about Clinique's Touch Tint, Lancome's Color Dose and Color Focus, Chanel, Dior, MAC, Mary Kay (by far the best I've tried).. I mean, I use the so claimed longest-lasting e/s and non of them seem to like me! They literaly get absorbed in an non-uniform way (all but MK), so I end up with patches of bare skin and fading color.

So I was soooo excited when I read all the raves about this product.

But:

1) e/s stay longer, but end up creasing and fading a couple of hours after been applied and, althought the process is slower, when I return home from work colours are not there.

2) First time I tried it I used some brownish e/s (MK and Stila). When I looked in the mirror 4 hours or so later.. they have turned bluish!! I couldn't believe it, but yesterday I tried it again (I really wanted to like it) with MK "white sand" and it turned bluish-green in front of my eyes.

So, I'll stick with MAC's "Bare Canvas", the only product to date that makes my e/s stay all day long.

on 1/10/2006 11:13:00 AM

this is a great find! thanks to the reviews here, i was able to find a solution to eye makeup that never lasted longer than an hour or two. i used this for the first time yesterday and was VERY impressed. very little to no creasing of my shadow and my liner was actually STILL ON by the time i was ready to hit the bed. oh, how lovely. why did it not occur to me to look for something like this sooner?

on 1/10/2006 10:55:00 AM

Believe the hype. I was skeptical, because I'm skeptical by nature, but this stuff is great. Eyeshadow that used to crease on me after 4-5 hours (even over a base) now stays put almost all day. I have heard some people say that their e/s stays perfect until they wash it off. This isn't the case for me; I have definite creasing after 8-10 hours, but 8-10 hours is some major performance! I don't mind the genie bottle; I think it's kind of cute and it's no more difficult to tell how much is left than a tube of mascara. And since you have to use so little, a tube should last quite a while. (I apply three small dots on each eye and blend out and up past the crease.)

on 1/9/2006 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Pros: The color is practical univeral. The product blends easily, and delivers on it's promises. I wore it on one eye, and nothing on the other...and there was a noticeable difference in my eye makeup by the end of the day. This prevents ceasing, and helps to "even" out my eye color (I have a bit of red just at the color of my eyes) so that colors go on brighter and truer. I'm very pleased with the results...it's far better than what I obtain with concealers or MAC's shimmersticks.

Cons: The packaging, as everyone mentioned, is frustrating. A simple squeeze tube would be perfect (and maybe a dollar cheaper, without the fancy and utterly unnecessary genie bottle). And the size--10 ml--is pitiful. At leave give us a full 0.5 ounce (14-15 ml), which is fairly standard size. I've seen concealer samples that are bigger. continued >>

on 1/8/2006 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This stuff is so cool - my eye makeup at the end of the day looks exactly as it did when I put it on that morning - absolutely no creasing or smearing - and I have oily skin especially around my eyes, so this stuff is nothing short of a miracle for me! I love it.

The only thing I don't like is the packaging - even though the tube it comes in is very pretty, I think that it coming with a wand applicator is pointless (you have to blend it in with your finger anyhow), and think it will cause wasted product when the tube gets low. I think if it came in a sqeezable tube, it would be perfect. But that won't stop me from buying this product again!

Also, I read some complaints about Primer Potion not blending well - if you set this stuff with pressed powder after you've blended the PP around your eyes, then put your eye makeup on over the pressed powder, your shadow will be able to blend well, and STILL stay put!

Video Reviews & Tutorials