July 25, 2014 | 1774 users online

Eye Primer - Urban Decay - Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original (UDPP)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2005 4:17:00 AM More reviews by stellaluna2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried FYI and did not like it because it creased on me so naturally, I had to try this since everyone was raving about it. I LOVE this stuff! The product glides on my lids smoothly and keeps my shadows clean all day. Will definitely purchase again, unless I find something better.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/18/2005 3:06:00 AM More reviews by feona

Ok, so it does work, really well. But it really irritates my eyes. So I'd save it for a special night (4 or 5 hrs) or whatever and have some eye irritation, but nothing visible. Last time I used it I wore it for 18 hrs straight. And the shadow didn't crease. However, my eyes were burning, a little swollen, and red for about 5 days. Bummed, because it really does work, but I can't wear it.
I don't normally have reactions to eye products either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2005 8:06:00 PM More reviews by insertcornynamehere

Well, since this is the first eyeshadow primer i've ever used, I can't really compare it to others such as tony and tina's or benefit's FYEye. Moving on, I'm chinese so my crease is so close to my eye it's almost non-existent. The crease is also a huge hassle cause all of my shadows crease on me! Well, there's also my uber-oily lids that also contribute to this so I really need a primer. I decided to buy this after all the great reviews and also because sephora was giving out gift bags at Yorkdale! The price for this was $20 Canadian. I'm not sure how to apply it; I just swipe and blend until you can't see it and then I apply my eyeshadow with my fingers. I can't believe it! My shadow didn't buduge for 15 hours! I love this so much, I'm never going without my primer potion despite the fact that I hate the bottle and the lack of primer in there!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2005 2:06:00 AM More reviews by MedusasSnakePit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love it. Shadow stayed all day long...

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2005 7:11:00 PM More reviews by Skincarediva

I have tried many other brands of eyeshadow primers but this one is the best! No fading and most of all not one crease. Yesterday I wore it for 18+ hours and my shadow looked as good then as when I first put it on. This is one product I can not be without.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2005 3:51:00 PM More reviews by RutgersGirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Other

I absolutely LOVE this stuff. My lids are not only oily, but they are pigmented as well. Shadows never stay on properly, and sometimes they barely show up. All that changed once I tried this this primer. It really is *magical*. Now shadows stay on me all day, and the color shows up perfectly. I dont think it really changes the color of the shadow much, as its kind of a clear nude once you put it on. I highly recommend this to anybody experiencing problems with shadow staying power. I will never wear shadow without this.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2005 1:20:00 PM More reviews by purrlaperla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is such a great product! I've always had issues with my eye makeup fading or smearing after a few hours because I have oily lids. This primer potion takes care of that. My makeup survived a 10hr. day at Disneyland in 82degree weather, no problem :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2005 8:46:00 PM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

this stuff is awesome and i would never have purchased it if it wasnt for the raves....the color of the potion itself is a fleshtone-beige...comes in a cool looking genie in a bottle..but its a pain to scrape all the product out once its almost finished...it cost $14 at my local ULTA.....this really brings out the color of my e/s...including the cheap ones!! *UPDATE* i prefer lancome's colour dose in montego beige better...for me,the PP streaks my shadows a bit....CD's texture is better and u need an extremely tiny amount to cover the eye and it takes a few seconds to dry..love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2005 7:37:00 PM More reviews by gingerneko

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I should note for the record that I am one of those girls who has a horrid time with eye makeup's durability. While my skin is largely dry, my lids tend to be a bit oily, and eyeshadow tends to just slide right off. Eyeliner tends to smudge and smear on me, no matter how good it is (the only one that didn't budge before today was MAC's Fluidline).

So, it's an accomplishment for me to be able to say that I sit here writing 11 hours after putting on my makeup, and it's still exactly where I applied it and looking just as good as it did this morning. Today is the first time in my life I can say that. Not at all coincidentally, today is the first time I used UD's Primer Potion. I applied it both on the lid to the browbone, and in a thin line under the bottom lashline where I use eyeliner - and I cannot believe what a difference it's made. It's rare that I look at a makeup item I paid $14 for and think to myself, "I'd pay double for this without blinking." Liners apply smoothly and with high pigmentation over PP, as do shadows. The colors stay true and vivid. It's utterly amazing how much of the actual *color* shows over PP. It's also amazing that none of it sinks into my somewhat-deep crease (as is my norm) or makes me look like I have stripes of color on my lids. It's smooth like buttah, girls.

My only problem occurred when I tried to blend - the PP made blending eyeshadows a bit more of a production than usual. This is easily alleviated by learning techniques to work with it, and with practice, I'm sure this problem will disappear. It just took a bit more brushwork to make the colors blend smoothly. I don't consider this a shortcoming of the product, however; this is merely proof that it does exactly what it's supposed to do, from the moment you first apply makeup over it.

This is a five-lippie product, and I say that with no reservation whatsoever. I can now imagine doing things with my MU that I couldn't do before out of fear of having it dripping onto my cheeks inside four hours. If you wear eye makeup at all and don't own Primer Potion, get it -- it'll be the most beautiful fourteen bucks you've ever spent. (Well, the effects will be -- the packaging kind of looks like Barbie's First Vibrator. But who cares? What's inside is well worth it!)

EDITED FOR ADDITIONAL COMMENTARY, 1/30/2014:

Almost ten years ago, this was my HG primer -- I loved it. When I got back into wearing e/s, I bought a fresh tube, and then I discovered that UDPP was no longer a godsend for me. I was thirtysomething when I wrote the review initially -- and now, at fortysomething, I find this is too chalky and drying for sensitive, aging eyelids.

I haven't tried the anti-aging formula of this yet, but I can say that the 'original recipe' is no longer something I can see myself using, because it does settle into the lines on my lids and makes my shadow look awful, even when it was used with an eye cream underneath.

Because it doesn't work as well for more mature users, I decided to drop this rating a lippie. I'm pretty sure it's still as awesome for the younger folks out there, but I can't recommend it for over-40 users.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2005 6:31:00 PM More reviews by blueaygi

I absolutely need a primer before i put on eye shadow because of my oily lids. when i first opened the tube i was surprised to find that the primer potion is VERY creamy and thick. i didn't think it would make my eye shadow last for longer than 2 hours. i was pleasantly surprised to find that my eye shadow last all day with no sign of fading.a little bit of it goes a long way. i'll be purchasing this from now on intead of the concealer from Elizabeth Arden that i used before.