Chanel No.5

3.5

on 11/17/2006 2:47:00 PM

When i first tried this in the mall,it smelled bad like Incense ,but after a while it really transformed and became like a nice, powdery smell on my skin,however no one from my family liked it,and i don't think it is worthy of the price at all since i didn't like it that much, there are much more beautiful fragrances out there..

on 11/13/2006 1:28:00 AM

My husband gave me this perfume for our fifth anniversary. Talk about the quintessential anniversary gift! My husband could hardly contain his excitement as he watched me open my gifts. :) I opened the box with the perfume first and was happy when I saw what it was. I have tried (and loved!) many of Chanel's other fragrances in my lifetime, but for some reason I did not remember ever trying Chanel No. 5. I put a little on my neck and invited my husband to come closer and smell. He took one whiff and wrinkled his nose in distaste. I've read some of the other reviews for this perfume and the positive ones make it sound absolutely lovely. However, this was not the case for me. It smelled like baby powder mixed with musty lavender. A very strange and disgusting combination - but it will probably smell completely different (and hopefully more pleasant!) on someone else. Worse is that after I had opened my other presents, my husband noticed a rash developing on my neck from the perfume! I broke out in hives and spent the rest of the night fighting the urge to scratch and trying to convince my husband not to feel bad (how did he know I was allergic to Chanel No. 5?). Needless to say, my darling husband felt so bad that he returned the perfume the next day and made a trip to Tiffany's! So I may not be able to wear (or would want to wear) Chanel No. 5, but at least I have a wonderful husband in exchange!

on 11/5/2006 9:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

A classic...can't live without. A sweet powdery aldehyde. Creates different scents on different users, depending on your own unique chemical makeup. Just love, love.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I like this because my mother loved it & thought it smelled classy.
I can understand why, it smells expensive like something from Paris.
It is very different, there is something special about it & I
can see it being worn on special occasions.

on 11/4/2006 4:33:00 PM

My first posting, and I was spurred into action by the less than witty repartee of MadaboutheBois and her sopohmoric slanderings of her fellow reviewers.
As for the perfume, like it or not, Chanel No. 5 reminds EVERYBODY of something, and if it was your grandmother (and you loved her) that's not a bad thing. You might choose not to wear it because of that, but it should provide fond memories for you. (My guess is MadabouttheBois doesn't have too many fond memories of any kind.) The fact that this perfume has endured four generations of women--of varying educations, social status and "bling quotients", is reason enough for a modicom of respect.
As for her disgusting diatribe on the correllation between a well-written review on perfume (she claims not to care whether a reviewer likes or dislikes a scent, just that it is punctuated correctly) and the instrinsic value of that person, well..any bimbo with a dictonary can use big words, dear. But you know that.

on 11/3/2006 7:04:00 PM

One of the most gratifying aspects of Chanel, Guerlain and Caron is that many of their classic flagship fragrances are still available in today's market. This is testimony not only to the Houses' dedication to preserving historical masterpieces but also indicates that there is still a demand for the older classics. Hence, the longevity of Chanel N 5. Its status as a groundbreaker, coupled with the stories that Gabrielle Chanel circulated about N 5's development, has made it rather difficult to know for a certainty the true history behind the fragrance. The anecdote that Mlle Chanel often entered Ernest Beaux's (N 5's perfumer) lab to offer input or to sample his work is probably false. The account that the overdose of aldehydes into Chanel N 5 was a happy accident is also probably false. Another story, recounted by a Chanel biographer and one which may be true, claims that Beaux had already formulated what was to become N 5 and had shopped this formula to Coty who turned it down because of the cost. Beaux then found a willing buyer in Mlle Chanel. Whatever the truth, Chanel N 5 continues to be a best seller almost 90 years after its launch. The wonder of N 5 is that it successfully smells good without smelling of any one particular note. The notes are richly blended in such a way that one does not dominate another. You smell, for instance, a jolt of lemony citrus, then jasmine envelopes it, and before you can say "jasmine" thrice, the orris morphs the whole into something familiar yet not quite definable. Some reviewers have remarked that it smells like a woman; I'd agree. The juice simply smells good. N 5 is not Beaux's only masterpiece. His Bois des les (which Edmond Roudnitska considered to be greater then N 5) is another witness to his genius, with Cuir de Russie, Evening in Paris (original) and N 22 following closely behind. Ernest Beaux and the House of Chanel: a brilliant partnernship which produced creations as wearable and sought after today as they were decades ago.

on 10/30/2006 2:05:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Five lippies for this fantastic classic scent. I generally prefer light florals or gourmand scents but this is possibly my one exception. Its seductive but not blatantly obvious. This is perfect for most occasions except for hot humid summer days, when this can be overwhelming.

on 10/28/2006 12:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Too powdery and spicy for me. Reminds me of old ladies. It's not horrible--believe me, I've smelled a lot worse--but I don't understand what all the ado is about when it comes to No. 5, only that Marilyn wore it. Big deal.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

this stinks. i dont know why people constantly rave about it, and you know they really hate it. actually, i know why they rave about it. just because its so famous and old and "classic." classic my foot. it smells like an old woman who wore rose water from an expired bottle. this smells so horribly gross and gives me the biggest headache and i usually never get headaches from perfumes. i think people need to be more original and not just go nuts over something because of the name associated with it. i even know people who wear this just to SAY they are wearing it. pathetic, just like the perfume. I LOVE CHANEL THOUGH, dont get me wrong, this stuff just smells like poop!

on 10/26/2006 6:53:00 PM

The key to approaching Chanel No. 5 is to keep an open mind. And remember that this fragrance was created in the 1920's. It is old, ladies. If what you are looking for is a clean/fresh or fruity/floral, this is not what you want. But remember, Marilyn Monroe wore this. It is old-world class and sex appeal in a bottle.

Popular Fragrances