Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15

(Natural Beige, Soft Porcelain): Mica, Pearl Powder. ( /-): CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77947 (Zinc Oxide), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides). (Real Sand, Tender Rose, Rich Vanilla, Classic Beige, Pure Honey, Warm Bronze): Active Ingredient – Zinc Oxide. Ingredient: Pearl Powder. May Contain ( /-): Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

on 4/15/2007 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Well, all I can say is that I would pay $35 for the packaging alone!! Why did it take so long to figure this out?? =) As previous reviewers have mentioned, the jar has a sifter with a swivel top, that allows you to uncover the right amount of holes to get just the right amount of product. Powder doesn't fly everywhere when you open the jar, and it is MUCH more travel-friendly. Not only that, but you can actually use the lid of the container to swirl the minerals instead of an extra dish, which is what I previously had to do with Alima. They really put a lot of thought into the packaging, and it's making my life SO much easier!

On to the actual product itself, I absolutely love it. I am a C-3 (Jasmine) with Alima, and the Tendre Rose was a perfect match. This product is a lot less dry than Alima, and provides better coverage as well. The finish is excellent, luminous but NOT over-the-top like BE. This stuff is very natural. The MA that works for LM told me that there's a little trick if you find the finish too "glowy" for your liking. If you buff on a light dusting of the LM translucent powder first, it tones down the finish. I haven't actually tried this yet, but a previous reviewer commented on shine, and this is supposed to help. I highly recommend this stuff, and hey, even if you can't find a color match I would DEFINITELY keep the packaging and fill it with another MMU! =)

on 4/12/2007 11:59:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

My skin type
Oily, hormonal-chin-acne prone, large pores on T-zone. Have gotten clogged pores from Lauress, EDM, BE. No clogged pores from JI, Alima, LM. I can't seem to pinpoint the offending ingredient.

When I first saw the list of shades, I was surprised there were only 5. I brought my Alima down to the LM counter and tested all shades next to Alima, and none were as yellow as my Alima W3. Fortunately, my MA who was Asian and had the same warm yellow-toned skin, said she was using Real Sand. As it looked great on her, I tried it and what do you know, it blends into my skin perfectly! I noticed that a lot of other people who bought this also got it in Real Sand, so it must be pretty universal. One word of caution though- since i'm a medium/light and the lightest shade is spot on for me, very light/pale skinned girls might not have much luck with this, since Tender Rose is just as dark but with more pink in it. As for which MMU matches me better, I would say both are equally good, just that Alima erases the red in my cheeks better since it's more yellow-toned (but then again LM's coverage is better so no contest here).

Price
Cdn$42 + tax at Holt Renfrew, US$35. Same pricepoint as Jane Iredale.

Ingredients
Active Ingredient - Zinc Oxide. Ingredient: Pearl Powder. May Contain (+/-): Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

Pros- Surprisingly few ingredients for a commercial-brand MMU. Proper SPF rating of 15 and pearl powder!!! The pearl powder keeps my oily skin in balance, and is good for skin too, since it is packed with amino acids.
Cons- Bismuth Oxychloride, for those who are allergic.

Packaging
The sifter design is genius. There's a plastic cap on top that you could twist to reveal the sifter holes (just like some salt and pepper shakers), and then twist it shut when not in use. It's great knowing that powder won't spill everywhere if i pack it in my makeup bag. Another feature I like is that the cap is big and wide, which means I don't have to transfer powder into a separate bowl to swirl my brush in.

Texture & Finish
After wearing this for about a week, I have to say I'm just blown away, by how finely milled the powder is, how it goes on with a creamy satin finish, making my skin look so soft and ethereal. It is more glowy than Alima, which is great for me, because I love a subtle glow. Alima is matte on me, and I had to use a separate glowy finishing powder on top (Pure Luxe You Glow Girl, which is great by the way). With LM I can skip this extra step entirely. It is also less dry than Alima, it somehow just looks more creamy. I am a fan of the glowy radiant look, and LM gives me the right amount of glow, not sparkly, just a hint of shimmer under soft lighting. You can't see the glow under natural light, which is good because it looks natural and you don't get the tin-man effect that plagues BE users. However, LM does cling on to flakes, which is characteristic of any powder, so moisturize or use a good primer underneath. The coverage is very good for a MMU, the best I've actually tried. It's not enough to cover acne and scars on its own, but with concealer underneath, my blemishes are virtually undetectable, even under natural light. The coverage is extremely buildable and it takes A LOT to look caked on, but you don't need to do that as the coverage it provides needs only one layer. Heavier coverage can also be achieved by using a primer underneath, enabling the powder to cling to something to spread uniformly (I use LM's oil-free primer which is excellent). Since it is so finely-milled, it looks completely natural, and has the been the least 'powdery' MMU i've tried. Since I always use a primer to maximize my coverage, I don't have the pooling-into-pores-look problem. Also, it doesn't highlight lines (I get those around my mouth when I smile), unlike Youngblood.

Skin Reactions
I have no skin issues with this- did not clog my pores or break me out.

Lasting Power
I test lasting power by seeing how my face looks at the end of the day, how it looks after a hot bath and after blotting with blotting paper. Both held up equally well. Of course when i blot with blotting paper it removes a good amount of makeup off my face, but the amount of touch-up I have to do is less than say, Everyday Minerals which blots to nothing. I have also experienced no change in colour as the day wears on.

Conclusion
5 stars for this, since it outperforms all the other mineral makeup brands i've tried in terms of coverage, packaging, ingredients, and finish. I am very happy with this and I'm sure there will soon be many very satisfied LM users once they get a color-match.

EDIT: While I love how this looks on my skin, I had to give up on it because it just melts off after blotting. I need a longer lasting foundation and found it in Guerlain Parure Extreme.

on 4/12/2007 1:35:00 AM

Like many other reviewers, I fell in love with this at the beginning, when it first came out, I bought the powder and the bronzer blush and I really liked it, and after awhile my skin condition got really bad and I blamed it on the mineral powder

now that I have been seeing a derm to get retin-A micro to take care of my fine lines and using clindoxyl gel to clear up my acne, I gave this a shot again, and the result is amazing. Now I have the mineral primer as well, and I must say the primer goes really well with the powder. I use this on everyday basis where I don't need a ton of coverage, and looking for a natural finish.

If you are looking for something with more coverage I suggest their TM for dry skin and powder foundation for oily/combo skin

on 4/11/2007 3:56:00 PM

I have tried a lot of mineral makeup products including, BE, Everyday Minerals, Alima, Meow Cosmetics, etc. I do like this mineral foundation the best so far out of everyone I have tried. However, I tend to get a little shiny after several hours. It does cover very well and blends effortlessly. It doesn't get cakey like many mineral products do.

on 4/11/2007 2:20:00 AM

I love this mineral makeup! I have tried quite a few, none with the same result as I get from this. It goes on really easy for a mineral makeup, not to shimmery but still has a beautiful soft luminous glow. A little goes a long way,use a light hand and this will go on perfectly.

on 4/10/2007 4:01:00 PM

I've used this when it first came out in Real Sand, which made my fair skin with yellow undertones look muddy. Last week I got a sample of the new Soft Porcelain shade. After trying I don't know how many samples of EM- and never finding the right one- I was amazed this one matches my skintone perfectly. In fact, the coverage, finish, staying power, soft focus shine.. it all is perfect. My skin is blotchy and I have some acne marks. I couldn't believe how even and beautiful my skin looks with this. It does slip a little around my nose and it's too light for summer, but for winter it's great.

on 4/10/2007 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

WOW! I have tried several kinds of mineral make-up over the years, and everytime I say never again. Then someone on the boards will rave about another one, and I run off and try it again. Usually I hate the results- Tin Man shiney, no coverage, horrible colors, oxidation, etc etc. But my, oh my, Laura Mercier has changed all that!!
I'm in love. This elimates about 3-4 steps for me AND looks better than ANY foundation I've ever tried. And let me tell you, I've tried a ton of MMU, powder, liquid, creme, etc etc. This even passed the DH test! He HATES foundation and thinks it all looks fake and awful. But he loves this, says it covers up my melasma (I'm 8 months pregnant now) without covering my beautiful face. :) What a guy! What a great product!
As others noted, this does give a luminious finish, but not the super shiny look I've gotten with other MMU. Doesn't settle into my pores and lines the way other MMU have. I'm experimenting with brushes, since I've bought many for applying MMU. So far I'm liking the Youngblood Ultimate Foundation brush. It is smaller than most kabukis, but gives a nice finish with this product.
For reference, I'm about a 5.5 in GA LSF and the Rich Vanilla is perfect. No color change over the day. It looks really dark and gray in the jar, and I was sure it wouldn't work. But once I put it on- perfect! No gray cast and just the right level of darkness. Ok, I must admit, maybe it is the teeny tiniest smidge too dark. I'm contemplating mixing to get it exact, but it is so close, I may not. I've been using this about a week now. LOVE!
EDIT 05/09/07- still loving, but must admit the color selection is a problem. I think I am a smidge lighter than both GA LSF 5.5 and LM MMU Rich Vanilla. I'm using Real Sand now and it is a smidge too light. But closer, esp when topped with bronzer or mixed with a dash of Rich Vanilla. Also, for more coverage, try using the Philosophy MMU brush- really gives a nice dense coverage where needed, then I finsih my whole face using a different brush- the LM Blending Brush, KA Buff Powder Brush, or Trish's MMU brush.
EDIT 07/20/07- still working with the color!! They all come up a touch gray/green now that my skin has a bit of a tan (from the bottle, of course!). But a mixture of this in Real Sand with BE MMU in Tan is the perfect combo- the LM gives me coverage w/o sparkle and the BE Tan adds the color and tone I need. And the BE Heavenly Face brush is my current fave, and top it all with BE Tinted Mineral Veil. Really natural, perfect color match, and just enough glow. continued >>

on 4/8/2007 11:35:00 AM

Ooh firstly i'm on a mmu kick after discovering em matte mixed with olay complete makes the best coverage TM.

i tried this as my cousin was returning from the states and got me this item is real sand n tender rose, Luckily. b/c for my NC20 skin tone, real sand was too dark( neutral warm), and tender rose was too light( cooler pinkish), it is the best match if mixed together but still a little bit too pinky for my asian skintone.

i used it alone like how u usually use a mmu, with mac 182 and finished off with some mac blot powder.

the texture alone is great though! if only it lasted longer, it dissappeared after 2 hrs and i have sensitive normal/dryish skin to start off.

For comparisons, its silkier than EM, Alima lasts longer though, but alima is dryer textured this one has a foil satin finish,may be way shiny for some but i would say closest to EM's original glo finish or shinier

UPDATE: after trials of mixing the colors this is still too cool/pink on me ( i'm neutral warm fair) n i *think* the bismuth or something is making me itch :(

on 4/7/2007 11:16:00 PM

ok I got this yesterday so I used it the first time today. WHERE HAS THIS BEEN MY WHOLE LIFE?!?!?! I don't know if I've ever been wowed by a product like this before. I bought it in Real Sand and it's the perfect color (not bad for ordering online! Sephora does a great job at describing the color). I've used just about all the MMU, from BE, Cory, Neutrogena, Philosophy, UD, AR, etc. More recently I've been using AR because it was clearanced out on sephora.com and I've been having good skin days. AR is somewhat sheer but buildable. I've been wanting just a touch more coverage and shine control. LM totally delivers. Rather than shiny mica for that 'hey I'm trying to look glowy' shine, LM uses pearl powder. Totally different. I have a glow and not a shine. I applied it with a kabuki brush and a retractable brush so I could narrow down on a zit that cropped up overnight. This stuff is so unbelievably natural looking! It covers what I want covered without any cakiness or dryness. And it's sort of a semi matte finish, but not dry. It kept my skin soft all day and it wasn't nearly as shiny as it usually gets. I even took a nap with it on and when I woke up it was still perfect! I love how someone finally came up with the idea to add that twist top so that you can seal off the shaker holes and make it more portable. I touched up just a little before we went out for dinner, and it layers impeccably. YOU NEED TO HAVE THIS IN YOUR MAKEUP BAG!!! worth every penny, I would pay triple digits to have this stuff but I'll settle at $35 :) This really deserves like 10 lippies!

on 4/6/2007 4:53:00 PM

I have found my HG foundation! I love the ease of mineral makeup (powders)I have used many brands. I am so excited about this one! The coverage is fantastic and you do not look made up at all. I used it with the tinted moisturizer and I can not rave enough.

If you are on the fence about this one GO BUY IT...you will not be disappointed.