October 25, 2014 | 975 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2006 8:36:00 PM More reviews by orisha_girl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I wore Chanel no5 when I was a teenager - I fancied myself artistic and elegant, really I was just pretentious and trying to be "grown up" before I was ready. Even though I wore it for a couple of years, I never really liked it - I just liked the idea of wearing a classic. I've tried it a few times again recently, hoping my nose has matured, hoping that maybe this time I'll finally understand what the hype is about, and every time I'm disappointed. On me it is always synthetic, metallic, jarring, cold, sour and masculine, all qualities I detest. The other chanels I've tried are the same on me, which leads me to suspect it may be a body chemistry issue. Chanels and I just do not get along. :-(

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2006 4:42:00 PM More reviews by alexcous6915

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I totally agree with the assessment of "fancy baby powder." It just doesn't work with my body chemistry at all. I have had a bottle for years, but will give it finally to a friend of mine...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2006 10:31:00 AM More reviews by alice_alix

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a classic fragrance par excellance. Woody and discreet, a "no nonsense" fragrance. I personaly have never *loved* it so much, but I've never got so many compliments on any other fragrance. My DH likes it a lot. I used to got it as a gift from my parents, husband, friends etc. when I was younger, so I wore it then: didn't love it but I appreciated its secret charm and chic. Now they all know that I don't love it so much, so they stopped buying it for me and I wouldn't be buying it myself any more, as I have some other favourites. But if you are a right woman for it this is a fantastic fragrance. Oh, and the packaging: unbeated, gorgeous, simple and elagant. The other big plus: wonderful body range.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2006 5:50:00 PM More reviews by skywalkerbeth

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My tip top ab-fab favorite scent of all time. I can't believe only 62% would buy it again. Heresy!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2006 10:37:00 PM More reviews by robotica77

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like the classic bottle; I hate the scent. It is the first, but I do not think this evokes "woman" by any means. Who said a woman had to smell like fancy baby powder. Regardless of its history, it still smells like "old posh lady" in black suits, pearls, a wig and her red leather handbag. To use Nicole Kidman for the ads is a mismatch. She is too delicate for this scent. Someone like AISHWARYA RAI would be suitable to pull off this scent as its spokesmodel or another dark-haired creamy-skinned vixen.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2006 11:58:00 PM More reviews by NPC_Citizen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One of my favorites, classical and feminine. The only draw back is the ezpense, but however there are not many fragrances that smell nicer than this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2006 2:50:00 PM More reviews by PeeShee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

There are some very harsh reviews below about No5. And I really can't understand that. This is an amazing, classic, elegant, feminine fragrance. There is nothing foul about this scent at all. Women of all ages can pull this off. It's soft, floral and a little powdery. Good for day and evening. It is just PERFECT.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2006 3:40:00 PM More reviews by sket

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

There has been enough description of this so I won't bore you with more. I'm very picky with my perfumes, so the fact that this gets full marks from me means a lot in my book. No5 is made a memorable classic for me in part because of the fantastic packaging, which really is CLASSIC in every sense of the word. There are few others places in 20th century advertising that a black and white logo has been used to such effect. The bottle is so sleek and timeless too. In the beginning (ten or so years ago) I took a while to warm to this, but once I did there has been no looking back. Its in my top five scents, if not my top two. It really never fails, all occasions, all year round. I know Chanel No 5 a mile off, in a room of a hundred different scents. Its floral lightness is cuddled by a powderiness that keeps it from being harsh, despite the hit of aldehydes that make it like a drink of the very best champagne. I recently tried Yvresse by YSL which is also named Champagne and because I like No 5's champagne quality I tried Yvresse. However this was so sweet and cloying I found myself longing for the real deal, Chanel No5. I went and got a new bottle of No5 immediately. Nuff said.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2006 3:21:00 AM More reviews by scottigirl_01

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

My husband smelled this and said, wide eyed, "this smells like sex...in a good way". He is 38, so not all that old. It had time to settle on me, several hours, before he smelled it. I used to wear Chanel No.5 a long time before I met my husband, but I am going back out tomorrow to buy the EDP and the after bath powder. Maybe he might start paying a wee bit more attention to the Mrs. hee hee. I remember reading that in an interview Marilyn Monroe was asked what she slept in and she responded, "Chanel No.5"...nothing else, just Chanel No.5. I'm not sure why that has stuck in my head, but she did have such a sexuality to her. I guess my DH has a pretty good nose.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2006 3:44:00 AM More reviews by Rainbowcrushed

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ugh. My boyfriend actually bought this as a gift thinking he was being thoughtful and romantic. It smelled horrible in the bottle and even worse on my skin. It reminds me of babys breath, that horrible cheap white flower they always put in rose bouquets.