Chanel No.5

3.5

Ugh, I don't understand the previous few reviews who call this a "funeral home" scent. This is such a beautiful perfume, & for some unknown reason, it gets a bad rep for smelling like "old lady". Granted, it's not a perfume for somebody who likes to smell light, or fruity - it's not an in your face scent, it's subtle & heavy & that's why I love it. Classic, clean, deep and sexy - I love the way I feel when i put this on & I love not smelling like every other young woman my age. I will continue to buy this for years to come.

Blegh. I have never been in a funeral home, but if I had, I can imagine it would have smelled like THIS. No joke. I agree with the below posters who wanted to love it because, after all, it's Chanel No. 5! How completely classy would it be to wear it? But alas, it smells like dead people. Sorry! Not for me. Maybe in fifty years.

I dearly wanted to like this. Wouldn't it be great if I could say "Oh yes, I wear Chanel No. 5"?

But alas, it smells kind of old lady, generic. I would never wear it, I don't want to smell like in thta gross floral funeral-homey kind of way. Although, and I don't want to sound dumb here but, I would (and did) buy the full 3.4 oz bottle just to have it on my dresser. It looks so sophisticated there, realand if anyone asks, I can at least pretend like I occassionally wear it. It's too bad though, I really had high hopes for this one. Perhaps it was relevant a long time ago and for a different type of woman of a different age, but I couldn't see any under the age of 70 wearing this today.

Too harsh to my nose (must be the aldehydes). Also smells too mature for me (I'm in my early 20s). Such a classic scent, and it must work on some, but to me, it's a chemical mess...

I so want to like this because there is part of this fragrance that appeals to me, but for the most part, it smells like a baby's pordered butt and an old lady. Foul.

On me, this scent starts out really, really strong and very "old lady" and musky.
As it eventually sinks into my skin, the scent steadily gets lighter, and sweeter and I actually find myself putting my wrist up to my nose to enjoy it.
Before it fades completely, it morphs into deliciously sweet, powdery scent that isn't too overwhelming, and is quite pleasing to the nose.

I will say that this is a scent that you DEFINITELY want to try out on yourself before you buy it, because it can smell pretty sour on some people. Let it set on the skin for awhile, and see how it reacts with your chemistry. If it works, then I suggest you pick up a bottle for yourself.

I really want to love this perfume, but I can't. It smells a little like baby powder on me, which isn't necessarily bad, but I could just put on some baby powder if I wanted that. The scent is very different to me, and I am giving it a chance. However I do know that my significant other absolutely detests the scent. He stepped into the bathroom a few minutes after I put some on and actually wrinkled his nose in disgust. I don't think I would repurchase this any time soon, but maybe I would again someday. For now I am partial to Coco Mademoiselle.

Edit: Nope, can't do it. I'll come back to it years from now to see if I feel differently.

Gorgeous, sexy, complex, timeless...Chanel No.5 is genius in a bottle. This is not a fragrance for little girls, and if you think it smells like your grandmother, well, No.5 may well be one of the reasons she IS a grandmother in the first place. capisce?

I dont get how this fragrance is so famous,well i guess it is Chanel but on me this does smells horrible!!
I guess it might smell better on other people but it just smells really old musky like a granny's attic!!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Doesn't work on me. I don't HATE it, but it just smells like baby powder on me. My hubby says it reminds him of "old ladies", so I definitely won't be repurchasing. Not the end all be all I thought it might be.

Popular Fragrances