September 20, 2014 | 1777 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - Colorburst Lip Butter (All Shades)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2012 10:28:00 PM More reviews by mymelody87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have nothing new to add to this discussion as I love this product for all the reasons everyone else has mentioned. I own six of them, some light and some dark, and I love them all. There really isn't anything else like this on the market; the new L'Oreal version doesn't begin to compare. And these are so moisturizing, even after the color wears off. I don't often wear lipstick because I dislike how quickly it fades. But these are a good middle step between lipstick and chapstick, and even the darkest color they make fades evenly and nicely on me. I'm hooked and keep buying more. Note: some of the lighter colors will require a few layers to really show, while some of the darker colors are extremely vivid, depending on how much you pile it on, so there is some differential in pigmentation here, but nothing more than I believe you would anticipate by looking at the color of the tube. And thankfully, the tops of the tubes are clear, so you can preview what you're buying.

A quick breakdown:
Gumdrop - When layered onto the lips, this gives a beautiful light purple color. It's the exact shade of purple I can't get away with wearing in lipsticks, but which I always want to wear, since it truly does make my teeth appear whiter.
Rasberry Pie - A vivid, cool red. It wears to a magenta on me after awhile. Not my favorite.
Red Velvet - A warmer, vivid red. This wears true to color on me, and is the closest I can get to a 'true' red without looking ridiculous.

Anything lighter than Gumdrop doesn't appear on me without a ridiculous amount of layering. I've also learned that the shades which come in the orange tubes tend to either clash against my cool-toned skin (Tutti Fruity) or just not show up (Peach Parfait). I have very pigmented lips naturally though, so I may not be the best tester of these shades. Anyhow, just my two cents.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2012 9:10:00 PM More reviews by MelissaTC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love love love! I own 4 and love each one. Raspberry Pie reminds me of Nars Funny Face. I don't find these drying at all. I do wish they were better shaped for application but what a steal for the price!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2012 5:25:00 PM More reviews by atomic_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Revlon's lip products have not been impressing me at all lately. First problem: the product separated from the base the first time I used it! (I also had this problem with the Colorburst lipstick; I bought two and both broke off the base immediately. What a mess!) I also find this lipstick too wide to apply easily. If you don't exfoliate your lips first this stuff gloops up and accentuates the dry spots. It's not as sheer as I had hoped, although the colour I chose (Pink Truffle) isn't a bad neutral. The colour is gone in no time. I hate to be what seems like the lone voice of dissent for this product, but I really don't like it.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/30/2012 3:57:00 AM More reviews by saartjesmile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really, really wanted to like these. I collected about three of them over the last few months and, though I prefer sheerly tinted lip balms, got up the nerve to try Raspberry Pie one evening and slept before I could take it off. I woke up in the morning to "pretty pink lips" (my boyfriend's words) and thought nothing of it until later, when I noticed my lips felt dry and rough. The pretty pink color my boyfriend had commented on that morning was not due to the amazing Revlon pigmentation, but the bumps that had sprung up overnight on my poor lips. Turns out, I am allergic to these suckers! They did not dry out my lips, but break them out in painful, itchy hives that didn't go away for four days! As far as I know, I wasn't allergic to anything in these but there is something in this formulation that freaks my lips out. Ladies with a history of allergies, beware!!! I have similar problems with the Colorburst lipsticks, but was hoping these were different.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2012 3:06:00 AM More reviews by brittnm25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Before this product came about, I could never find any lip gloss or lip stick that would moisturize my lips & have great color. I have literally tried everything! So when people started talking about how great these were I didnt believe it but I still decided to try it. I went to the store & brought Tutti Frutti & Berry Smoothie. When I tried it, I Loved It! I was so happy with the results! I went back & brought Strawberry Smoothie as well! I Love these & I recommend them!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2012 8:19:00 PM More reviews by TheGoodSwan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I own nine...yes, 9, Revlon Lip Butters now... I am a lip product junkie. I admit it. These just ended up being SO great, I couldn't stop buying them! The colors...are gorgeous. Really. And the range of colors...stunning. Red Velvet was appealing to me...because, I will be honest, I like the cake. I am pretty scared of red lips, in general, because I have large lips. I feel like big lips + bright color = scary. This color (Red Velvet...mmmmmm, cake) is amazing. It is the perfect amount of color. It is sheer, yet present. Buildable. Vibrant, yet subtle. Absolutely perfect for a red lip novice. I also am wearing the Pink Truffle often. It is the best natural shade ever. Peach Parfait - the shade worn in the ad by Emma Stone - is another wonderful, everyday lip. It has a bit of shimmer, but that really makes it glow on the lips. It isn't overly frosty. Creamsicle and Creme Brulee are both really light. They can be downright milky if you apply too much. The texture (for all of them) is...like buuuuuutttter, baby. My lips feel soft, smooth, moist, but, not sticky. Oh, and there is NO scent, which is a huge plus. I can't stand when "grown up" lip products have that tweenage, fake sweet smell and taste. I highly recommend these.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2012 11:15:00 PM More reviews by spinthedeck

So I got sucked in by all the hype & all the pretty colors & ended up trying 5 shades. Since I generally prefer gloss to lipstick, I thought these lip butters would be a happy compromise.

Shade Selection/Formula: The shade selection is wonderful, especially the reds, and I like that you can see the color through the clear plastic window on the cap which makes comparing shades a lot easier. The formula is okay, not the best nor the worst; I guess when I hear “lip butter” I expect a super emollient formula with a glossier finish. These are creamy like a lipstick, but just not as moisturizing as expected; Cotton Candy, Sugar Plum & Red Velvet felt glossier than Sweet Tart & Candy Apple, so it may just depend on the shade?

Shades Tested: The 5 shades I tried definitely range in terms of pigment: Cotton Candy = light; Sugar Plum & Sweet Tart = medium; Candy Apple & Red Velvet = heavy. (From the online swatches I found, it appears that the lighter shades are generally less pigmented & sheerer than the brighter/darker colors.)

My surprise faves are Candy Apple, a warm orange-toned red that is unbelievably flattering to my pale skin & Red Velvet, a deep brownish brick-red that is simply stunning. I usually shy away from reds b/c I’m so pale, but both of these reds are amazing.

Cotton Candy is a pretty light shimmery cool-toned pink, but you have to really layer it on to get it to show up.

I found that Sugar Plum (medium plum) & Sweet Tart (bright warm-toned pink) look best when lightly applied, blotted w/a tissue & then applied lightly again; they each entered garish old-lady territory when I applied too heavy a layer.

Cons: I’m constantly drinking water, so staying power is only a/b 1 hr for me, although after the color has worn off, it leaves a light stain on the lips which does look pretty. As with lipstick & brighter/deeper shades of gloss, I found that the lip butters settled into any patches of dry skin on the lips, so I make sure I gently exfoliate using a damp washcloth or my toothbrush prior to application.

Bottom Line: While I think that these lip butters are for the most part overhyped/overrated, if you can score a couple on sale they may be a fun way to try out a new shade, especially red, since you can control the intensity of the color by how lightly/heavily you apply. I'd definitely repurchase Candy Apple & Red Velvet, but probably not the others.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2012 7:48:00 PM More reviews by lechickpea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Believe the hype.

I usually hate how drying lipsticks can be, this product gives me the colour payoff while being extremely comfortable on the lip. The payoff is that you'll have to reapply every couple hours, because it doesn't last. I especially love: Rasberry Pie, Lollipop, and Tutti Fruiti.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Opheliaxx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've never had a lot of luck with lipsticks - they always make me feel like a child playing dress-up. However, the Revlon Lip Butters are incredibly easy to wear. On a whim, I bought Candy Apple. I've never been able to pull off a bright red, but the first time I wore this, I received a ton of complements!

They're not shockingly over-pigmented, but give a nice sheen of color to your lips. You can definitely tell you're wearing a lip color, but the way the pigmentation is structured, it blends really well with any skin tone. I've been back to the drugstore numerous times to buy another tube.

My only complaint is that this is a drugstore product, so you're more likely to find this product in really weird situations: Usually when the display is low, with only a few various colors are left, it usually means they've been "tried on." You may have to look closely, but the sticker will be peeled back and the top of the product will be a little messy. I've seen this at various stores - remember to inspect before you buy!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/27/2012 11:02:00 PM More reviews by DonnaJazzhands

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love the color of these lipsticks. It's so rich when you put it on, and it feels like a balm, but contains the color of a great lipstick without looking cakey. It kind of gives off a glossy shine, but not too much, just a nice subtle look. Like many lip colors, it can rub off easily, so if you're about to eat or take sips from a glass, be careful. I am going to try using a lip liner underneath it to see if that makes it last a bit longer. I purchased the color "Cherry Tart". Because of the moisturizing feel, and easy application, this lip color is my favorite! Not that expensive either. What else is there to say? I'm quite pleased with it!