Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash

2.8

Active: Salicylic Acid (2%), Other: Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Disodium EDTA, Benzalkonium Chloride , Yellow 5, Red 40, Fragrance 07/2013

on 7/4/2008 1:18:00 AM

I was not expecting much from this cleanser, and I was surprised! It helped purge a lot of my clogged pores and it helped smooth out my skin. I used this cleanser 2x a day with PTR's clarifying glycolic at night. I was so excited to see that it was working, but after a couple of weeks, it totally dried out my skin. It have an oily t-zone with normal cheeks (combo skin), so it might have been the fact that I was using AHAs in combo with the 2% salicylic acid found in this wash. It was just too drying and harsh for my skin. Too bad, I was starting to think this could have been my HG cleanser. If anyone knows a good cleanser for combo skin with clogged pores and some white heads let me know!

This product has dried out my skin so bad!
I haven't noticed a difference in my zits... I don't get many, but using this hasn't made them any less frequent.
I won't be buying this product again, just too harsh for me.

on 7/1/2008 4:29:00 PM

Too harsh for my skin. Very apparent medicine-y smell.

When I had horrible skin in my teens this might have worked well, but as a 25 year old with changing combination skin (read: aging process has started) this stripped my skin and changed the texture to rough and red. Not quite sure of my impetus behind this purchase.

on 6/28/2008 3:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I'm on my second bottle. This stuff is just...WOW. It may be slightly drying but it has made miracles for me..even though it took a while to realize. Well I purchased this cleanser last year and took it with me overseas to the hottest place in the world-literally. And I had hardly a single breakout there while using this stuff for a month. Maybe just 2 pimples..which is crazy considering I'm no stranger to huge breakouts. And naturally you would tend to breakout in high, humid temperatures. I honestly owe it to this stuff. Upon returning to Canada I stopped using this cleanser and...this school year experienced some pretty horrible breakouts. So I decided to go back to something simple: Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash, and once again my skin is doing better than ever before.

on 6/23/2008 9:58:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

UGH, I really wasn't a fan of this cleanser when I was using it.
It did an OKAY job, but nothing great, I never noticed a DECREASE...or INCREASE of the amount of pimples/breakouts that I had, although now that I think about it, some of the worse break outs and other skin problems I got were while I was using this product....

personally, it did nothing for me. and I wont be buying it again.

and someone stated that the bottle lasts up to 6 monthes....mine lasted me about a month and a half...2 at the most.

It did a really good job cleaning my face and did not break me out, but it dried out my face really bad. My skin was really dry after using this just a couple times and I live in a very humid area. It was a awesome facial cleanser but just to drying for me.

on 6/13/2008 10:18:00 AM

A few months ago, I decided I finally needed to settle down with a good, classic, simple-formula cleanser. Up until recently, I would buy whatever I found on sale or just something that was different but basic enough. I don't use cleanser religiously, but I wanted something that would help with my mild acne and whiteheads. I bought this because Neutrogena is a trusted brand, the gel formula seemed simple enough, and because it has salicylic acid. I thought this would help with my frequent breakouts and blemishes. For a while it thought it was doing the job, but once I started using some acne medication, I realized how drying and irritating it can actually be. Even though its not a strong formula, I just don't think any facial products should have harsh ingredients, including any kind of "acid," in them. The only cleanser I've used whose salicylic acid content wasn't bothersome is the Burt's Bee's Peach and Willowbark Scrub, which naturally has it from willowbark. Since I stopped using the Neutrogena and started experimenting with Cetaphil, Dessert Essences Tea Tree Oil cleanser, and Avalon Revitalizing cleanser, and the Burt's Bees scrub (don't worry, I don't use them ALL, and definitely regularly - just in comparison they have given better results overall) in combination with my acne medication, my skin has already improved a lot. I agree with someone else's statement here that this is too harsh even for people with combination skin, especially if you have to use other prescribed products that already treating your skin with harsher ingredients. I can only imagine what cleansers with a higher percentage of salicylic acid or other ingredients do. I would stick with natural, organic cleansers and leave the heavy-duty treatments to prescribed creams or other drugstore brands. Cleansers should just clean and soothe.

My face felt really tight and dry after using this.

on 6/3/2008 9:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

i used to use this for a while and i liked it, in time it managed to control my acne a bit and gave me a squeaky clean feel! but now i'm using a cleanser given to me by my dermatologist, but otherwise i would buy this again.

on 5/28/2008 8:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This was too drying in my teens, it makes your skin squeaky clean and I was still oily as hell. However now I use it twice a day. Which is beyond disgusting because really this stuff is very, very harsh. I've been on retinoids and although I know it's a terrible idea to chemically blast my face like this, it seems to work. Oh but I did learn to wash first and rinse, then use a washcloth to ex-foliate. Otherwise your skin dries like crazy; this peels the loose stuff off, for the most part. However if you scrub WITH the soap, you will be able to see the blood pulsing through your translucent skin, and that's no good. Rinse then scrub. I use the Walgreens brand.