Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash

2.8

Active: Salicylic Acid (2%), Other: Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Disodium EDTA, Benzalkonium Chloride , Yellow 5, Red 40, Fragrance 07/2013

on 7/28/2008 10:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my HG cleanser. It was reccommended by my derm, and at first I hated it. It dried out my skin and seemed to break out more. When I questioned her about it, she told me to give it a few more weeks and that my skin was probably just adjusting (I am also on rx Benzaclin-which I LOVE.) She was right, and within a matter of about 3 weeks I saw major improvement in my skin. It feels so clean and fresh, and removes all make-up (although I don't reccommend using it for eye make-up as it does sting if you get it in your eyes.) At first the scent bothered me a bit too, but now I actually like it..kind of weird! The only annoying thing about it is the packaging...it has a pump top and no matter how many times I try to "lock it" it seems to re-open in my suitcase or bag. Now when I travel, I either put some in a travel size bottle or just put it in a small zip-lock bag to prevent leaking.

on 7/28/2008 10:42:00 PM

I really like this cleanser. Given, I don't have acne, so I really just use it to prevent the occasional pimple, which it does work pretty well. It doesn't dry out my skin, and I don't love the smell, but it doesn't last on your skin or anything.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Other

Dried out my skin until it cracked and peeled.
Horrible, over-whelming smell.
Made my eyes water just by the smell.
Didn't do anything to my acne.
Probably made it worse, I hate this product.

on 7/28/2008 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This cleanser works really well for me. My skin feels so clean and soft after using it. I don't have any residue on my face afterwards, and it doesn't dry it out. It doesn't seem to have a huge effect on my acne though, maybe just clearing it up a little from dirt and whatever else accumulates on my face daily that would worsen it or cause small pimples. It lasts a long time because I find that half a pump is all I need each time I use it. Overall it is a great cleanser, just not the best acne product. I would definitely buy again.

on 7/4/2008 1:18:00 AM

I was not expecting much from this cleanser, and I was surprised! It helped purge a lot of my clogged pores and it helped smooth out my skin. I used this cleanser 2x a day with PTR's clarifying glycolic at night. I was so excited to see that it was working, but after a couple of weeks, it totally dried out my skin. It have an oily t-zone with normal cheeks (combo skin), so it might have been the fact that I was using AHAs in combo with the 2% salicylic acid found in this wash. It was just too drying and harsh for my skin. Too bad, I was starting to think this could have been my HG cleanser. If anyone knows a good cleanser for combo skin with clogged pores and some white heads let me know!

This product has dried out my skin so bad!
I haven't noticed a difference in my zits... I don't get many, but using this hasn't made them any less frequent.
I won't be buying this product again, just too harsh for me.

on 7/1/2008 4:29:00 PM

Too harsh for my skin. Very apparent medicine-y smell.

When I had horrible skin in my teens this might have worked well, but as a 25 year old with changing combination skin (read: aging process has started) this stripped my skin and changed the texture to rough and red. Not quite sure of my impetus behind this purchase.

on 6/28/2008 3:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I'm on my second bottle. This stuff is just...WOW. It may be slightly drying but it has made miracles for me..even though it took a while to realize. Well I purchased this cleanser last year and took it with me overseas to the hottest place in the world-literally. And I had hardly a single breakout there while using this stuff for a month. Maybe just 2 pimples..which is crazy considering I'm no stranger to huge breakouts. And naturally you would tend to breakout in high, humid temperatures. I honestly owe it to this stuff. Upon returning to Canada I stopped using this cleanser and...this school year experienced some pretty horrible breakouts. So I decided to go back to something simple: Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash, and once again my skin is doing better than ever before.

on 6/23/2008 9:58:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

UGH, I really wasn't a fan of this cleanser when I was using it.
It did an OKAY job, but nothing great, I never noticed a DECREASE...or INCREASE of the amount of pimples/breakouts that I had, although now that I think about it, some of the worse break outs and other skin problems I got were while I was using this product....

personally, it did nothing for me. and I wont be buying it again.

and someone stated that the bottle lasts up to 6 monthes....mine lasted me about a month and a half...2 at the most.

It did a really good job cleaning my face and did not break me out, but it dried out my face really bad. My skin was really dry after using this just a couple times and I live in a very humid area. It was a awesome facial cleanser but just to drying for me.