November 25, 2014 | 1737 users online

Liquid - MAC - Face and Body Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2011 6:52:00 AM More reviews by LilMizz

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use C40 in MAC Studio Fix powder plus foundation. It is a good match except for this slightly dark grey/pink cast it would leave on me making my face look darker by the end of the day but yet ashy at the same time. I opted for the Face and Body because, for other olive girls out there like me, there are only few ranges of foundation that offer olive shades so I was pleasantly surprised that the Face and Body line had C category foundations! Unfortunately I purchased the C6 colour (I range from NW35-NC42 deep olive/golden complexion) and this turned out to be too dark. It isn't golden, it's more of a tan/bronze tone with a slight green hue. On my skin it blended in well, but if you want to go for a more tan look this would be perfect as when I had got to work about 3 people noticed my skin looked darker - not orange - but like I had been on holiday. I thought it was a good thing initially, but as the day went on I began to hate it. Here are my key points:

1) Application - MUCH better with fingers than 187 brush. I literally apply a splodge on my cheek and then using two/three fingers I massage it in with quick circular motions - sort of like when you apply body lotion or something. Its a very runny formula, but almost like magic, it transfoms under the warmth of the fingers and skin into a thick smooth consistency and sort of sticks. It easily gave me medium, natural looking coverage.

2) Finish: Very dewy. It has that wet look, a lot of sheen. I can see the appeal in the finish, I haven't seen one quite like this before. However, on me, it quickly turned into greasy looking even though I purposely skipped moisturiser in fear of this. I have combo skin ever so slightly oily in areas, but this turned greasy everywhere even in my drier patches of skin! I ended up mattifying it heavily but the matte effect just would not last. Hence, if you have dry/normal skin I think the finish would complement that skintype MUCH better than those of us prone to oily-ness.

3, Lasting power: I managed to survive a full working shift - but with a lot of struggle!!! About 3-4 hours after application, I noticed it had begun to fade and seperate. The colour had also gone a bit more darker with time, so when I looked in the mirror I could see patches where my lighter skin had begun to show through and darker patches of foundation - ew! I quickly mopped up the melting foundation with tissue, reapplied quickly, and powdered over it. But again, by the end of the day I could feel strands of hair sticking to my face, I wear a white shirt at work and there were two foundation stains on me from somewhere, and worst of all, I itched my cheek absent-mindedly then as my hand lowered I touched my top on the way and sure enough it left a big brown stain! Transfers like crazy on my phone too. On the train home I just felt disgusting and couldn't wait to get home and remove it. I had similar experiences with MUFE HD - these types of foundations just won't agree with me :-(

4. I only wore this for ONE day, but woke up this morning with tiny little flat whiteheads around. I am acne-prone, but when I wake up with 7 or 8 new whiteheads I know something that has touched my face recently doesnt' like me!

Overall, I loved the concept behind this foundation it is pretty much one-of-a-kind IMO, but my difficult skin couldn't cope with it. I would recommend it to less oily skin-types, or those that are capable of wearing foundation with no need to powder or mattify. Unfortunately that's not me, I read other reviews from people with oily skin who rated it 5, I am combo and it wasn't working for me. Ideal if you are going out just for an hour or two and need light coverage.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/7/2011 9:37:00 AM More reviews by gilldiva

After much persuasion from a friend I bought this foundation. I have tried very hard to like this product and have perservered with different ways of applying it but ultimately, I don't like this foundation and wouldn't buy it again.
This is an oil-free, water based foundation but no matter how sparingly I apply it, it leaves my skin looking shiny (and by shiny, I do mean shiny, and not 'glowy!) and feeling tacky to the touch.
This does not 'sit' well on my skin and as a result, it not a good base at all. Any powder, bronzer and blusher I put over it just doesn't look nice. Also, this product doesn't last on my skin. After a few hours I look like I'm not wearing make-up - although the shiny, tacky look remains intact!
I would liken this product to more of a tinted moisturiser. I've heard lots of great things about this product but it's just not for me.
On the plus side, it is very economical as the bottle is huge.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2011 1:59:00 AM More reviews by akmoore

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I picked this up before going on an impromptu beach vacation, so my skin colour has changed a bit. BUT, with the couple times I did get to use it, it provided very sheer all over coverage that worked well on conjunction with a few dabs of concealer. I would not recommend this for anyone who needs full coverage, but it evens out my slight redness in my cheeks. It is build-able though. VERY liquidy - more so than any other foundation I've ever used. I top it off with BareMinerals mineral veil and some NARS Laguna bronzer and it looks super natural. I might even repurchase in my now tanner skin colour...

Edit: After using this a bit more and developing my routine, I've decided this is my HG. On days that I need a bit fuller coverage I'll do two "coats", letting it set for 5 minutes in between applications. I've switched to setting with Rimmels UBER cheap Stay Matte and my skin is lovely til the end of the workday and beyond.

The price is totally worth it for the volume - on par with some drugstore brands in terms of quantity for your dollar.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2011 8:50:00 PM More reviews by ktpeluso

I was SO excited to get this product in the mail. I had to order it online because they don't sell it at the Macy's in the mall I go to, and there is no other store near by. If you need a color match and you aren't near a store, I used the online chat and they were very helpful. Im normally an NC20 in the winter NC30 in the summer, and now (spring) I need NC25, so the lady told me to get C3 which is quite perfect for my skin. I have VERY oily/acne prone skin and I was a little nervous to use this. I bought the prep+prime transparent powder and that is perfect to set it (after application). It's a little sticky/shiny at first, but after the prep+prime it looks beautiful! And, it's true, it does look/feel just like your skin, but a perfect version of it...
However, I can't totally give this product a 5. I've been using it for 3 days now and I hope hope hope it isn't the product and just my skin. It's been a little shaky with breakouts before the f&b and I've just gotten some little baby new pimples nothing catastrophic, so I think I'm going to continue for a few weeks and see how it goes. Honestly, it's so wonderful that it would be worth just using occasionally if it comes down to that. I highly recommend this product overall, so please don't be afraid to try it, you won't regret it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2011 5:31:00 PM More reviews by Glossaholic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is a new-find to me. Saw it mentioned here (I am not a big fan of MAC products) and since I am always trying new foundations, I had to try this. I am currently using NARS Sheer Glow and I like it a lot, but find the coverage is a little bit too much for everyday use, and I have been looking for something in between that and a tinted moisturizer. I believe that I have found it. I like the fact that the product is water-based, yet moves easily across the skin. I find the sheer coverage to be perfect, and I purchased it in N2 as I am quite pale. It softly evens out my skin tone, and gives a natural no-makeup look with just a touch of powder to set it. You get a lot of product for the money (currently $32 for 4 ounces) and the cheap-y squeeze bottle is actually quite convenient. Highly recommend for those who have "good" skin and need just a bit of coverage. Would definitely re-purchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2011 9:08:00 AM More reviews by Riri

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have normal skin with few blemishes so I thought this would be perfect for me based on other reviews. The light coverage is amazing nd my face looked flawless! But after a while I noticed I broke out every time I used it even though I wash my makeup off every night. Others don't seem to have the same problem so if you don't have sensitive skin this foundation is absolutely amazing!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2011 3:41:00 AM More reviews by jessxoxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've had this for a year now and at first I loved it, but that was back when I wasn't breaking out as much and when I didn't have acne scars. Now it's a nightmare. Of course, it isn't full coverage foundation, so I am not going to rate it like it is one. I still use this almost every day. I recommend this to people who have smooth skin and just want a little coverage and even toned skin. What I love about it is that it's super light! It doesn't give you that cakey feel. The price for the amount of product you get is a STEAL! I haven't bought liquid foundation in a year. I've had this for a year and I have half a bottle left -- you don't really need much. What's also great is you can use it on your body -- only downside is that it'll rub off. Oh and I use powder foundation to set this, and sometimes just translucent powder to sort of lock it in. Sometimes I can feel my face get oily by the end of the day. I don't like to keep this product on all day and into the night.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/30/2011 3:28:00 AM More reviews by lovebrownie

***UPDATE 5/19/11***
OK, so I'm bumping this product down to a 3, solely because I don't think it has the best formulation for my oily skin. It looks so fresh and beautiful when first applied, but after a couple hours of wear, it doesn't look so hot anymore. Whether or not I set this product with a powder, the oils on my skin literally starts breaking down the foundation about 4 hours after wearing it, resulting in a blotchy, oil-slicked mess. It's definitely not water-resistant either, seeing as it rubs off and transfers everywhere. I don't know why I didn't notice this either, but the foundation never claims to be oil-free! Yikes. Good thing it hasn't really resulted in too many clogged pores for me. Photographs quite well; looks like skin, no white cast. But even in photographs, I looked way too greasy. Verdict: Probably won't repurchase and will probably give this bottle to my sister who has dry skin.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have pretty problematic skin--combo-oily, dry around jaw and cheeks, extremely oily prone, redness in the cheeks, lots of hyperpigmentation, and the list of imperfections go on and on and on... That said, I feel like there's an overall assumption (probably spurred on by all the reviews of people saying how sheer this foundation is and how it's most likely not suitable for people with problem skin) that this foundation is only for people with perfect, near-flawless skin. Well, let me just DEBUNK THAT MYTH for you now, because my skin is FAR from perfect and this foundation has managed to cover up a lot of my flaws (not all of them but a good 90%) while still giving me that coveted no-makeup, natural look. "How?" you might ask. Well, let me explain.

First of all, YES, this is a sheer coverage foundation. HOWEVER, it is so ridiculously buildable. I mean, you can just put layer and layer and layer of this stuff on, and I feel like it'll never look cakey. The trick is really in the application. Like a lot of reviewers have said, use clean fingers to apply this. I think there's something about the warmth of your fingers that just makes the product take on a more creamy consistency. I usually put a thin layer on first, using clean fingers to massage the product onto my skin and working on one section at a time. Wait for that layer to sort of "set" (not become as sticky--and yes, it does feel sticky when you first put it on). Then I put on a second layer on areas where I need heavier coverage. It should be about medium coverage by then. After I wait for the second layer to set, I can even do more spot-concealing and pat on more product on specific acne scars or blemishes. The only thing is that although this foundation covers flaws well, it doesn't cover ALL flaws, like I mentioned earlier. You might want to use concealer on specific problem spots if you really want everything to be 100% concealed.

But if you want to achieve that "I'm not wearing makeup; my skin just looks this great" look, this foundation can't be beat. Oily-skin gals, you might want to set this with a powder and maybe even blot after 8 hours or so. With a good powder, this foundation lasts like 12-14 hours for me.

Bottom line: I'm really starting to think I've found my HG foundation with the MAC F&B. And I don't know if it's the MAC Cleanse-Off Oil or what ('cus I've been removing my makeup at night with that too) but honestly, my skin has never looked so clear, my pores have never looked so small, and no new blemishes! The other day when I was wearing the Face and Body, my best friend did a double-take and was like "Oh wow! Your skin looks really good! What have you been doing with it?" And it just felt so nice to get a comment like that instead of the usual comments that are along the lines of how good my "makeup/foundation" looks that day!

Will update in coming weeks to see if this continues to perform well!

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2011 5:14:00 PM More reviews by mh357

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I never thought I'd say this but I've found my HG foundation. I've tried so many, fallen in love with so many, but still felt the urge to go looking to try other things "just to see" what else was out there. After using this, I have absolutely NO desire to go looking for any other foundation. I am so floored by this...I've tried a lot of MAC foundations and hated every single one, so it took me a while to go try this. I started with a sample, and the MAC SA matched me with C1. I have a lot of redness in my cheeks, so to get rid of that is a MUST for me. I am also in love with MUFE F&B, so that is what MAC's was being compared to. Don't get me wrong, I still love MUFE, but the cons with MUFE are that its gel-like substance annoys me (I always get little pieces coming out and onto my face...), and it sets very quickly. Plus it's a glass bottle, so it stays in my house and not in my travel makeup bag. Also, it's quite expensive for such a small amount of product, considering how cheap MAC F&B is. I'll try not to repeat everything other reviews have sad, but it is definitely on the sheer, dewey side. I use my MAC 187 to apply this, and seriously, you can layer it on and this is NEVER cakey. You will always look natural, and I look like I have NO makeup on at all. I can't believe it. It's like it erases my redness, makes my skin look perfect, yet I can't see any sign of makeup on my face at all....it's almost weird. On me it does last a while but not exceptionally long...I have noticed that it "fades" on me after 7ish hours though, and by fades, I mean that you can start seeing the red in my cheeks coming back. It doesn't look uneven as it fades, just looks like the makeup has disappeared and there's my awful redness coming out to play again. When I touch this up after work if I'm going out again I just layer it back on. I used to have to wash my face and start my makeup over again or else it would look cakey, but not with this. Bottom line I adore this makeup, I won't be looking for another foundation ever unless this is discontinued. I'm please on every level there could possibly be with this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2011 11:00:00 PM More reviews by PALEGRE3N

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Suitable for dry skin. Colour range is pretty good, I have the white F&B and N3 as I can be very pale or quite bronze throughout the year so I mix them to find my shade. While I love this stuff I can understand why other people might not be used to the sheer coverage, odd texture and method of application. Fingers or stippling/flat top brush are ideal, this will stick to the bristles and go on streaky it you use a regular foundation brush. The finish is generally dewy although it depends on how heavy your moisturizer is too.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No