August 1, 2014 | 1656 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2006 9:13:00 AM More reviews by SensualSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Personally I cannot wear this fragrance for a few reasons -- odd chemistry and aldehydes are not my favorite. However, I love - love - love Chanel No 5! It's classic -- timeless - modern and elegant. You can dress Chanel No 5 up or down --- wear always if you like. Chanel No 5 was born to a great house and was the first of it's kind. It paved the fragrance freeway with man made fragrance chemicals that have been interesting to say the least in the fragrance world. What's more -- Chanel No. 5 has had moments in time that were classic, just as it's gorgeous fragrance. It's had great press! Marilyn Monroe at a press conference was asked a risque question regarding what she wore to bed -- without hesitation she replied "Why Chanel No 5 and a smile of course!" A press secretary couldn't of set that up better. In the 1980's there was a movie called "When Peggy Sue Got Married" In the movie Peggy Sue (played by Kathleen Turner) goes back in time to her teenage years (EEEEKKKK heaven's forbid!!) and at one point gets a wonderful whiff of her mother's perfume, closes her eyes and whispers "MMMmmmm Chanel No 5...." It made me relate -- as many others can, because my mother wore it as well. She's gone now and in addition to the amazing legacy she left behind one is my memory of her love wrapped around the fragrance of Chanel No 5. Isn't it a gift that fragrance can wrap around you in a cloud of memory and take you places? I have memories of my mother wearing this always -- to weddings, with pearls and grocery shopping in jeans. Didn't matter the occasion Mom wore it. I think for many women it was the first signature scent. More so it's a fragrance that has gained respect throughout the years and shouldn't be poo poo-ed. In fantasy -- I do wonder if it were re-packaged and put out with a cooler bottle and name -- if indeed the younger generations would accept it and love it for it's wonderful characteristics. I think YES! But Chanel No 5 doesn't need to play games. It has it's fan base and lovers young and older. When I smell this -- I can't help but close my eyes and feel the memories. To me it smells like my Mom -- and many others I am sure feel that way. So funny how many men don't like this on their significant others just because of that reason alone -- who wants to make love to a woman that smells like Mom!??! It doesn't fit into the nookie equation. So wear this with caution that your man might have mixed emotions about this.
Everyone should try it -- and see. It's a timeless classic.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/12/2006 7:50:00 AM More reviews by fragrancefreak

I will probably be the only one saying..whats the fuss about???? (ducking for cover :)

This smells too old lady like, I will probably try again in a few years...probably when I am 35ish (not in a hurry). if you love it, good for you, I don't (I wanted to for some time but I m over that part).

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2006 8:22:00 PM More reviews by CRosieB

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

What can I really say that hasn't already been said about Chanel No. 5?

In a word: classic

It is not an old lady fragrance. It is a woman's fragrance. For any woman, for all women, perhaps too complex for teens - but perfect for all women, everywhere.

Chanel #5, not floral, not artificial, not gourmand, not masculine, not woodsy or spicy..it's just Chanel #5 a class all its own.

Sail on sailor
EDIT: 11/2/06 - any fragrance that generates this emotion obviously has legs. Again, sail on

rated 2 of 5 on 10/7/2006 3:46:00 PM More reviews by polochka

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

God, how I hate aldehydes. They are so dated and old-ladyish-smelling, and alas, the classic Chanel No. 5 is the embodiment of those adjectives, to my nose. Think "pearl choker around a saggy wrinkled neck"--a Barbara Bush kind of scent. Sexy, huh?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2006 1:13:00 PM More reviews by Violeta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I absolutely LOVE this perfume; my husband said itís ok but cringed his nose Ölol. Some men ware absolutely drawn to me because of it!! Bottom line is that I love it and there is noting better for me then to get out of the shower, dry my skin and lightly mist this on!
The price is quite high but hey, I deserve to be spoiled
continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2006 9:18:00 PM More reviews by getsinyoureyes

I like the idea of wearing this fabled and famous perfume more than actually wearing it. Iím sure the thought of smelling synthetic and wearing a fragrance that doesnít invoke any identifiable notes in the 1920ís probably seemed exciting and modern. But a lot of time has passed since then and this just doesnít smell modern anymore. When sniffing the nozzle and my skin this just smells like sour baby powder. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2006 4:13:00 PM More reviews by rsm1309

I wonder if the reviews saying this fragrance smells 'old-woman' or 'old-fashioned' would say the same thing if the perfume had a different name and the reviewers didn't know this was a 1920's fragrance? Because to me it's surprisingly modern and well rounded. There's no way you could put this pefume in the 'musty' catagory with the Guerlain blends like Mitsouko and Jicky which really do seem quite ancient, and far too strong for the modern nose.

No 5 is sublime. If '1' was a sickly sweet floral, and '10' a champagne dry grassy chypre, No 5 would score a perfect '5', dead centre, so well is it balanced.

On first examination it can be quite dry and grassy - sometimes the fragrance even seems to split into different notes. But the drydown is a lovely vanilla-amber balance of perfect pitch. No wonder this is the worlds number one fragrance.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2006 8:36:00 PM More reviews by orisha_girl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I wore Chanel no5 when I was a teenager - I fancied myself artistic and elegant, really I was just pretentious and trying to be "grown up" before I was ready. Even though I wore it for a couple of years, I never really liked it - I just liked the idea of wearing a classic. I've tried it a few times again recently, hoping my nose has matured, hoping that maybe this time I'll finally understand what the hype is about, and every time I'm disappointed. On me it is always synthetic, metallic, jarring, cold, sour and masculine, all qualities I detest. The other chanels I've tried are the same on me, which leads me to suspect it may be a body chemistry issue. Chanels and I just do not get along. :-(

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2006 4:42:00 PM More reviews by alexcous6915

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I totally agree with the assessment of "fancy baby powder." It just doesn't work with my body chemistry at all. I have had a bottle for years, but will give it finally to a friend of mine...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2006 10:31:00 AM More reviews by alice_alix

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a classic fragrance par excellance. Woody and discreet, a "no nonsense" fragrance. I personaly have never *loved* it so much, but I've never got so many compliments on any other fragrance. My DH likes it a lot. I used to got it as a gift from my parents, husband, friends etc. when I was younger, so I wore it then: didn't love it but I appreciated its secret charm and chic. Now they all know that I don't love it so much, so they stopped buying it for me and I wouldn't be buying it myself any more, as I have some other favourites. But if you are a right woman for it this is a fantastic fragrance. Oh, and the packaging: unbeated, gorgeous, simple and elagant. The other big plus: wonderful body range.