NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 6/22/2012 5:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I have had this foundation since summer 2010, so I believe that I've had it long enough to give it a fair review.

This has all the ingredients of being a good foundation, but frustratingly, it falls short. Firstly, I couldn't get a colour match, and having read a lot of reviews of this, I know that many other medium-skinned people couldn't either. I'm an NC40-NC42, yellow neutral toned (by this I mean that although my skin has yellow tones, I can wear both cool and warm makeup colours, but not ones which are too extreme either way). NARS used to do a colour that was about NC40, NC41 in their Balanced Foundation, which was called St Tropez, but it didn't make it over to the Sheer Glow line.

First of all, a Space NK sales assistant matched Barcelona to me. Now, while it might be the closest shade in terms of lightness/darkness (I would say that it's about an NC40), it's actually very peach toned. I came home and wore it for a few days, before I realised that it made me look ill. I was pretty hacked off, having just spent £30 on a mistake. A few months later, having really struggled to find a good foundation, and having done lots of research on the internet and here on MUA (I found Adriana265's review incredibly helpful), I decided to buy two colours - Stromboli, which is a light/medium olive, very yellow-toned colour (roughly an NC37), and Syracuse, which is a medium/dark golden brown colour (roughly an NC43). When I mix the two together (the proportions vary as to how much of a tan I have, but usually it's about 50% Syracuse and 50% Stromboli), I can get a brilliant colour match, although it's just slightly more golden than my actual skin.

As for the foundation itself - it has its good points and bad points. First of all, the bad points. I have combination acne-prone skin, and unfortunately, Sheer Glow breaks me out in small white heads (however, no cystic acne and red spots unlike a lot of other foundations). It also does not have good lasting power at all. I absolutely need to set it with a loose powder (not pressed - that's not powerful enough), otherwise after a couple of hours, my face will be shiny and the foundation will be slipping off. I also need to ensure that I have a powder compact on me, because I will need to touch up every couple of hours. Using this method, the foundation will last about 7 hours of looking good on a cool or average day. I have worn this on hot and humid days and have regretted it, as it has made me look far oilier than I am, and has disappeared faster than normal - after about 3-4 hours. I also can't wear this if I'm going to be in a hot and sweaty night club.

I did not like the fact that it took my spending £90 to finally get to the right colour. NARS should have made some more medium coloured shades. I maybe wouldn't mind so much about mixing two colours together, but then the bottle doesn't come with a pump. The fact that you have to slowly pour the foundation onto your hand is very irritating. It also means that you're likely to forget to put the lid on the bottle(s) if you're in a hurry, which I have done on several occasions. Not having a pump prevented me from judging accurately the proportions of the two shades for mixing. To add insult to injury, they are now selling a pump separately, for £3, so I caved in and spent an additional £6 buying two. It should come with the foundation already!

Now, the good points. I love that it doesn't have any sunscreen in it - a chemical one would have broken me out badly in red spots, and the lack of titanium dioxide means it photographs beautifully, and I don't get left looking like a ghost. It feels comfortable on my skin, and doesn't settle into the very fine lines by my nose and mouth that I'm starting to get (unlike Bobbi Brown's Natural Finish foundation, which after I've worn for a few hours, makes me look about 10 years older). The coverage is not sheer, as countless others have said before me, but it's not too heavy either, even after you've layered it on. Actually it's really excellent for building coverage, although you will definitely still need a concealer on any blemishes/marks that you have. If you have combination or oily skin, the 'glow' will make itself apparent after wearing it for a little while. It blends in very easily and there's no worry about having to work quickly before it 'sets'. The foundation really gives a wonderful, glowy finish to your skin, and while it doesn't look completely, 100% natural like a tinted moisturiser would, it blends so effortlessly with your skin (assuming you've got the right colour match) and really enhances it.

Sheer Glow is actually a component for my homemade near-HG foundation - I mix it with Estee Lauder Double Wear and it's amazing. It lasts for a long time and doesn't break me out. The only bad thing is that it doesn't photograph that well, due to the titanium dioxide in Double Wear. And of course, I can sometimes miscalculate the colour match and end up looking too pale or dark (as I don't have an exact colour match in Double Wear either, and had to buy the closest two colours). For any NC40-42 girls who want to try this, I either mix SG in Syracuse with DW Tawny, or SG Stromboli with DW Henna.

Overall, I'm giving Sheer Glow three and a half stars. NARS really needs to make it wear longer, and to improve the colour range for the medium tones. Oh, and to include a goddamn pump with every bottle!

on 6/19/2012 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I finally splurged and bought an expensive foundation! I've been sticking to my Clinique and drugstore brands for several years. Never thought I was missing out, but wow. This offers fantastic coverage. One swipe and I have perfect skin! Almost don't even need concealer with this stuff! Only problem is I picked a color that I think is a bit light for summer, Fiji. Perfect for winter and so I'm actually considering buying another bottle in either Punjab or Stromboli for the summer months. For those who are saying Neutrogena's Healthy Skin foundation is a dupe, I'd have to disagree. As much as I love Neutrogena's foundations, they are nothing alike. Healthy Skin has much less coverage and the shade I have in 40 is very pink. I like that Sheer Glow is both matte (I have oily skin) and yet, gives my skin a glow, doesn't make it feel tight and frozen like some matte foundations do (ahem, Colorstay). Love it! Definitely buying again. Also, bought the pump from the Nars website and have to say that was $6 well spent. Just wish they'd include that with the bottle.

on 6/15/2012 10:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is amazing. I will absolutely keep buying. I have oily skin and I did try the matte version, however I found it a bit harder to rub in. I think both foundations control oil and last well, the sheer glow just has a dewier finish. It is meant to be applied with fingers so it is warmed up. And truly it's the best way to apply. I love the finish - the way it covers but looks natural and glowy. The best part is that it is the healthiest foundation I have ever tried for my skin; my skin has never been clearer and it has helped improve my skin over time like it claims. Like everyone else, I wish it came with a pump, but I can deal with it. One bottle lasts a long time. I'm still on my first bottle and I have been using it for almost 5 months.

on 6/15/2012 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I've been meaning to write a review on this for a while. This is a fantastic foundation, I'm Indian, dark-olive skin and my shade is stromboli. I'm a NW40 in Mac but would never go back to Mac foundations any more as Nars is my new HG. The shade match is perfect, its slightly on the yellow side and leaves my skin looking very natural. I don't wear any powder on top of this, I think the sheerness disappears if I did. Its just nice on its own, I use Mac Prep & Prime Face Protect Spf 50 (Great Primer + Sunblock for Oily/Combo skins) and then after 15 minutes, apply the foundation with my finger tips. The texture is very good and melts in to the skin, although its sheer its not at all oily, and gives an even finish with a dewy sheerness if you know what I mean! There's no spf in it, good in a way as my photographs look very natural. Nars sell a pump dispenser for £3.00 and its worth buying. I also love the Nars Orgasm blush :)

on 6/13/2012 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Returning this. I really wanted to like it but it just looks terrible on my dry skin and aged me about 10 years. Like the sheer matte, this clings to dry spots badly (forget about it if you have eczema) and looks cakey. I also found it creased and accentuated lines I didnt know I had. My skin also got oily quickly in the t zone, and this did not hold up throughout the day. I am not sure if this would work for someone with oily skin for more than a couple of hours. The formula is, however, very smooth and silky to the touch. Bottle is horrible..no pump, hard to get out. Dotting it on with a concealer brush would likely work best. Dries fast, so you have to blend quickly.

I prefer Mac Matchmaster to this....it is similar in texture/finish/coverage but looks much better.

I used Fiji which is too dark for my neutral/olive NC 20 skin. Would work on a solid NC 25 or a light NC 30 (shades i turn when i use self tanner). Ceylan would also be good for NC 30 and Punjab is on the dark side of NC 30. If I liked the formula, I would exchange for Deauville but I'm not going to use it again. Shade range if FANTASTIC if you like the formula.

on 6/8/2012 4:58:00 PM

So I gave in to the hype and after 2 years of using up all the other foundations I had accumulated, I decided to give NARS sheer glow a try. Why did I wait this long? I can see now why so many sing it's praise. First off, I have combination skin, I do have hormonal breakouts but nothing major. The way I use this product is I put a bit, about the size of a dime in the back of my hand and I mix it with some MAC's strobe cream and then apply it to my face and blend with my beauty blender. It's amazing how long this lasts on me and what a coverage it has! I have been using it non-stop everyday for the past month and have not suffered breakouts at all. I live in Florida and it's blindingly hot here and humid and this foundation has lasted without melting off my face. Brilliant, found a new HG. For reference, I'm NW25 and I use NARS Barcelona. The only complaint I have is this stupid bottle, I wish it was either a squeeze bottle or you could buy the pump for it in Sephora, I was told in Sephora that this can only be bought online.

on 6/7/2012 2:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I totally love this foundation! It's not my HG, but, it has a great coverage despite being so light on your face you wouldn't feel it! I am rating it 4 because it has no sheer in it... I really wanted a more glowy foundation. I tried like all the foundations out there suitable for my dry skin and this looks the best on my face. But I still need to find another one with good coverage, lightness and a good amount of sheerness.

on 6/7/2012 2:04:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Kinky, Medium

This foundation has nothing ''glowy'' about it.I bought it because I wanted a foundation with good coverage that would give me a radiant look, while it has good coverage that's the only positive thing I can think about.It clings to every dry patches I may have so I really need to exfoliate well and moisturize like crazy.It looks kinda cakey and emphasizes my pores even when I sheer it out with my Beauty Blender.I'm combo oily and after 4 hours this foundation starts to melt down my face.It's way too expensive for what it does, plus I had to buy a pump separately which is like $8.I will not repurchase nor will I recommend because there are so many better foundations than this one out there !

on 6/6/2012 7:11:00 PM

I really wanted to love this product, the finish is beautiful, the wear is excellent but it broke me out! I got a sample of this from the beauty store along with Lancome Teint Miracle and tried it out right away. It gives you that beautiful satiny, healthy skin look that I love, it wears beautifully and the color range is great. However, within a day I was breaking out! I was hoping it wasn't this foundation, and after I took a break I tried it out one more time just on my chin and the next day I had a breakout! I guess it's just proof that not everything works on everyone.

on 6/4/2012 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really wanted to love this as I wanted to buy into the hype that is NARS. However, for me this foundation was not that special. This foundation acts like Revlon Colorstay(normal/dry skin) on me. I can get the same kind of coverage and performance for around $9 a bottle versus $42. I was hoping for a WOW foundation and this is not it for me. It settled into pores and was dull on my skin. I'll keep looking for my HG....

Video Reviews & Tutorials