Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15

3.9

Active ingredients: Octinoxate 6% Titanium dioxide 5.6% Inactive ingredients: Aqua, Methyl Trimethicone, Alcohol, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Talc, Butylene Glycol, Isododecane, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Polymethyl Methacrylate PEG-10 Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Alumina, Aluminum hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Magnesium sulfate, Parfum, Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Water, Methylparaben, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Sodium Hyaluronate, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dipropylene glycol, Polyurethane, BHT, Laminaria Digitata Extract, Tocopherol, Propylparaben, Ultramarines, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77891, Mica

on 10/20/2011 8:25:00 PM

After years of using Bare Escentuals, which is great, I decided I wanted to find my HG liquid foundation. For reference, I'm an NC30-35 with normal skin. I've tried Laura Mercier TM, Smashbox HD Healthy FX, MUFE HD, Clinique, and Dior, and they either oxidized on me, didn't have an exact color match, or I didn't notice any difference...until I tried Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua! A makeup artist used this on me and I could not believe how dewy, glowy, and beautiful my skin looked. (Color: B40) The only negative thing I could find was that you have to shake it before using, otherwise it will come out watery and spill all over. When I was trying the other foundations, I would think "why do people pay so much for these products when they don't do anything?" Now, I totally understand. Foundations are like dating...you need to try a ton of them before finding the right one!

on 10/19/2011 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I have been using Chanel foundations since I was in my late teens early twenties. Occassionally I would switch to other brands just to see if there was anything better for me out there, but always coming back to Chanel because their products don't make my skin go crazy. My daily go to foundation is the Chanel Vitalumiere Eclat Powder Foundation.

For reference, I've got combination/acne-prone, reactive skin.

Unfortunately, this foundation was the first one that has ever broken me out and also made my skin super unbalanced.

I tried this because of the amazing reviews it got on here and by other bloggers.

Sadly, after using this for one day (with my usual Chanel pressed powder) I noticed my skin was considerably dry (almost parched) like the moisture had been sucked out of my skin. I thought maybe it could have just been me not moisturising my skin enough that day so I gave it a good three days to see how it went. Well, it didn't improve and my skin went from being clear to crazy. Spots everywhere and very dry in some areas, and in others super oily - not my usual combo skin which I've managed to finally get under some level of control.

I suspect, as others have, the alcohol content in this product didn't agree with me - hence the drying.

It's sad, because I really do love Chanel makeup, but I'll stick for now with the foundation powder (and hope they don't discontinue it!) and my MUFE Mat + on nights out.

on 10/19/2011 11:08:00 AM

UPDATED REVIEW* This is an epic fail. The more I used this, the less I liked it. I get a much more beautiful and natural look using a heavier, creamier foundaiton (or concealer) sparingly and topping up with Chanel powder. B20 was not yellow enough for me, though it is an acceptable match. The foundation is even sheerer than I expected, seriously more like a tinted moisturiser. Only the finish is more matte than the average TM. The effect is like a soft-focus filter: the skin (and its imperfections, freckles etc.) still show, but less so. It does however still look like makeup - no holy grail there.

This would work for a no-makeup look for people who have nothing to cover. However it also demands a perfectly soft and smooth skin because is highlights dry areas. Finally its supposed to be buildable, but when I tried to apply a second (thin) layer I lose the natural look and it starts to look cakey. A more pigmented product, applied thinly, is much more effective.

What really kills it for me is that it simply does not last. Im not even oily, more combination skin. By noon I *really look like Im not wearing anything. And not in a good way! Simply infuriating, given how expensive this stuff was. (Note: another foundation that disappeared off my face was Lancome Photogenic Lumessence. I loved the finish - at least as pretty as Vitalumiere Aqua! - but it did not stick around.)

I am also concerned about the alcohol content, given that alcohol (the denatured kind) is a seriously bad ingredient for skin. It seems to be in a lot of the new foundations! Why.
Finally Im also not in love with the price.

A note on the packaging. It is plastic, and tiny, so very travel friendly unlike the heavier glass bottles. I had to double-check that the glass bottle and the tiny plastic one actually contain the same amount of product! (Just goes to show how deceiving the glass bottle is.) However, bonus points for practicality.

So: given the extreme lack of coverage while not having a perfect finish; lack of lasting power; and very expensive price - I will not buy this again.

on 10/18/2011 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I like this foundation, but I find it too powdery for my skin! I wear it in B10 and I think it is slightlys too yellow, I should probably have bought the BR10. I apply it with my Sigma f80 for a medium coverage and I think that it works really well. It looks really natural but still covers. My only complaint is that it looks a bit powdery at the end of the day, (without primer), I am now going to buy the, "blanc de chanel-primer" and see if that helps me. Anyone with any experience with that primer combined with this foundation?

EDIT: I bought the chanel vitalumiere aqua compact, it works sooo much better for my dry skin!!

on 10/18/2011 5:58:00 AM

I am so pissed! I totally love this foundation. I like how you blend and blend and blend it into your skin and it disappears yet making you look radiant. But it broke me out. So will not repurchase

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I loved this foundation for the first 3 hours after application. After that, it's doesn't hold up very well on my very oily skin. Also, I have a slight allergic reaction to the perfume in this.

on 10/16/2011 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was so excited to try this, but I should have known better. My skin is so sensitive, and I think the alcohol in this is what made it sting a little bit. The color match was great. I'm NW20 and the B20 was a nice neutral-tone that melted into my skin. I'm learning that I really don't like glowy foundations, since I have uneven skin from acne scarring. The slightly dewy finish is not flattering on me. It's easy to apply and I can see why so many people like it, nice coverage, looks like you're not wearing makeup, but it wasn't for me.

on 10/15/2011 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I bought this foundation a week ago and so far I have to say I'm impressed.
I have dry skin and foundations tend to fall into two categories on me: 1 creamy and moisturising but don't stay on long or 2 liquid that dries my face out, setting into all the fine lines, making me look 10yrs older!
Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua falls into the liquid category so I was a bit sceptical at first.
However I was pleasantly surprised. It doesn't dry me out at all! In fact, after a few minutes it feels and looks like you are wearing nothing but your skin tone and minor imperfections are all evened out - like you have naturally flawless skin. Best of all it stays put all day - no powder.
The coverage is pretty light, although you can get it up to med-light. I do have to use a concealer under my eyes.
It gives your skin a healthy, glowing look which I personally love (I guess those who prefer a matt look may not like it).
I had some problems finding the right colour match so I would make sure you get a tester and wear it a few hours. Especially because the price is quite steep.
The packaging is ok - elegant looking and easy to use (no pump though). I was told to shake it well before using because it tends to separate.
Definitely worth the price!

on 10/12/2011 1:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Love the consistency and how easy the application is for this. I just use my hands to apply if I'm in a rush (most mornings) or use a stippling brush when I have more time. It smooths on so easily and feels nice and light on my skin. It has a fragrance but I don't mind this. I have dry skin and prefer to wear light coverage foundations and this is perfect. Only negatives are the price (expensive in Australia) and the fact that you have to shake the bottle.

EDIT: This has become my HG foundation! This gives me enough coverage and doesn't break me out or clog up my skin and is just so easy to apply (with my fingers). LOVE.

on 10/11/2011 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Just used this product on a client for the first time today and was blown away. The client had dry skin with bumps and blemishes, skin that does not normally carry liquid foundation well. This foundation left her moisturized, dewey, and skin that was lit from within. It was also very light and blended beautifully. Im going to use perfection lumiere on myself tomorrow and I will let everyone know how it works.