November 28, 2014 | 2048 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2011 1:45:00 PM More reviews by deedee47

I looove my Clarisonic Mia. It has improved my skin and I do not regret my investment in it. It is a top quality product, so for me, the price is not that bad. A sonic toothbrush can cost up to over $100 so compared to that, I actually think the price for the Mia is not bad. The brush heads however are a little pricey due to shipping and tax, but you can find a great deal on them on amazon or ebay.

Love :)

Here's more details on my review

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2011 2:33:00 AM More reviews by cadabeijos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

UPDATE:

Be careful with the Clarisonic. I've since stopped using mine, and my skin has drastically improved. I think in the end, the Clarisonic was basically pushing bacteria around my face and into my pores, exacerbating my issues with perpetual breakouts. I don't think it's altogether a bad beauty tool. I just think that it's best used far less frequently than recommended. It's probably best used as a one a week treatment for skin, rather than an everyday tool. It is too harsh an exfoliator for daily use, and if it's not cleaned correctly and after every use, bacteria growth on the brush can be an issue.

I used this for about 6-7 months, and I almost always had a breakout. Since I've stopped using it, my skin has gotten a lot clearer and doesn't feel as irritated and sensitive as it once did while using this. If you're insistent on trying this, I'd a) keep my receipt and b) try to keep usage at a minimum (maybe once a wk or once every other day). I've found that too much usage actually worsens your skin over time.

=======

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my MIA! In the past year and a half, I've had problem skin--this can probably be attributed a lot to the fact that I've been wearing makeup and foundation more regularly. I thought I had been cleansing properly, using different oil cleansers and cleansing with a gel cleanser afterward. I still had acne along my hairline and forehead pretty often, and even developed one or two on my cheeks. I had always had perfectly clear skin, so this bothered me enough to hit the derm for some topical treatments...did NOTHING to help.

I had been eyeing the Clarisonic for a long time but always thought it was all hype and probably would be a waste of money. Sephora had their holiday sale, so I took the dive, and OMG this little vibrating tool is amazing.

My pores are smaller, my skin is smoother, and I only get pimples on occasion, very rare now. With all the money I spent on prescription topical acne meds, different cleansing oils, face wash, masks...I could've just splurged on the MIA earlier and solved my acne woes. I think this helps cleanse my skin more properly, so no makeup/grossness is stuck in my pores...so clear skin!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2011 12:06:00 AM More reviews by bisco

I've tried three cleansing brushes that beauty girls tend to use. I used and loved the olay brush. And I absolutely hated the dermanew tool. Now I'm on the Mia2. I must say in comparison to all three, this is the winner. The olay is a great alternative, but cleans nowhere as deep as the mia. I suffer from mild to at times, moderate acne (towards that time of the month). I've gotten quite a bit of blackheads and clogged pores over time, from make up most likely. And I can name a million brands of masks and cleansers I've used. None had a lasting result, or was possibly given the opportunity to work and absorb into the skin. My skin has been purging on the left side with this (most troublesome side, as of lately) but my right cheek, chin, and forehead are perfect-o! My pores are smaller, the gunk that was stuck before, has been lifted. My lotions and cleansers work wonderfully, and take less time to sink in. My skin is clearing up, and my make-up is less noticeable. My skin is glowing, and baby soft. I should also mention this hasn't caused a break-out on my left cheek, but more so gave way to one or two spots. And I can't complain about the price personally, since I scored 31 dollar payments on QVC.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2011 5:07:00 PM More reviews by Beelzebub666

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using the Clarisonic Mia for about 3 months now and my spot prone skin is noticeably improved.
In the first few weeks the Mia "lifted" a whole bunch of stuff from my chin and jaw line. You could almost feel the gunk being drawn out.
My skin still gets the odd spot, but it is much clearer and smoother than it ever was before, or at any stage since I was about 12 in fact.
I have not experienced the flaking or sensitive skin that others have described. The brush vibrates from the brush fibre base, rather than rotates and so just gently exfoliates the skin. I suppose it's a bit like shaking a muesli bowl and all the larger bits migrate to the surface. There's no need to press down hard onto the skin, but you need enough pressure to feel the tickley vibration and also get the speed of movement across the face about right, not too fast, not too slow.
I use a cream cleanser or face wash with the Mia, morning and evening. You need to add enough product so the brush glides smoothly. If it drags or catches you may not have added enough. Over use doesn't seem to be a problem because it is not scraping, just vibrating. If I follow up with a toner after cleansing, there is very little make up left to pick up. Just the bits I missed on first pass with the Mia if I'm in a hurry.
Expensive, but well worth it if you have spot prone skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2011 11:38:00 AM More reviews by snowshoe73

Love it, love it, love it! This was a pricey investment but the best I ever made. I've had it for over two years and it's never given me one problem. It helps me get off even the most stubborn makeup and has done a great job of minimizing my breakouts. One thing I've noticed is that I have to be careful what cleansers I use with it, as thicker ones tend to get under the brush head and need to be cleaned out.

You need to replace the brush-heads every 3-4 months at the tune of $25 a brush head, but it's still worth it. Also, you can order 2-packs from Sephora and Ulta and the cost per head is lower.

I never leave home without my Mia!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/29/2011 9:02:00 PM More reviews by freshtalovesmakeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Okay I have to vent. WHY IS MY SKIN SO COMPLICATED? I was on Accutane last year and my 4 year acne cleared up! Accutane was a blessing and curse. The pro was that my acne disappeared. The con is that I am now left with dryy and sometimes red skin. About 6 months ago I discovered the Olay brush as an alternative to the clarisonic. My thoughts? WOW. All my little bumps disappeared. My coworkers even commented on my flawless skin. My other skin secret, EVOO. Okay back to the main focus, the clarisonic. Last month, I decided to give this classic a try due to ALL of the raves on MUA and youtube. Also because I heard that a rotating brush on the olay causes micro tears. The first day I was astonished because my skin never looked better! A week later, I was purging really bad. I was aware that it can do that for a while so I waited it out. Now it had been a month and the PURGING NEVER ENDS! My brother even today commented on my acne! He even asked me what was going on! Gosh darn it CLARISONIC! Why didn't you work for me! I am tired of getting these ugly breakouts and decided today that I am not using it anymore. I tried it with the most gentlest cleansers with it. I carefully watch my diet and I only wear tinted moisturizer if I am even wearing makeup. I want my skin back. I can't believe I threw my olay brush away! I was SO confident with this one. Now I just have to find my receipt.. :( Bad experience. Sensitive, dry, acne-prone skin beware! Don't easily give into this hype as I did.

** EDIT 12-10-11
Okay so I returned my clarisonic two days after I wrote my review because I knew that it was the culprit for my irritated skin. Don't get me wrong, the Mia can work wonders, but for the right skin type. Using it everyday, not only tore up my fragile skin, it spread the bacteria around my face (NO WONDER I broke out everywhere-places that I RARELY ever breakout). So people I pleasee advise you to properly cleanse your brush everyday. If you have gentle skin, overexfoliating will only spread your acne. Try using it only once, or twice a week. You may not feel anything while using this, but BOY is it a powerful tool. I just wish I knew all this before I started sing it nightly. I am wayy to scared to repurchase it and use it again. I also found that when using this often, your skin gets dependent on it. That is another con. It has been a little over a week without the clarisonic and I am still suffering from the consequences. I stopped wearing makeup and I put raw honey on my clean face everynight for about an hour (I heard it soothes irritated skin). I am also drinking ALOTT of green tea to treat inflammation. I Just want my skin to go back to normal. Bad experience :(

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2011 3:42:00 PM More reviews by leilanader

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

OLAY PRO X BRUSH vs CLARISONIC. I recently discontinued the pill and consequently started suffering from serious acne breakouts. My derm put me topical antibiotic for night and Retin-A for day. This made things a bit better however pimples still emerged. But even before any of this happened, I had been eying the CLARISONIC for years, just couldnt justify the price especially that my skin was in perfect condition at the time. With my current skin condition, the clarisonic had to be given more serious thought...still 200$ is a lot and what if I don't like brushing my face or dont stick to it like most things. So I decided to go for the cheaper alternative and bought the OLAY PROX BRUSH. I used it once a day everyday for 2 weeks before noticing that my skin was pimple free. I couldn’t believe it, it works! Was I not cleansing my skin properly before? Anyways, I was so happy but then I had a thought…If a 30$ brush did this, what can the 200$ one do?! Off I went to Sephora and purchased the CLARISONIC MIA. I had 60days to try it and return it for a full refund, no questions asked and with so many people debating which brush is better I thought I would do an experiment. I used each brush once a day on one side of my face RELIGIOUSLY for 6 WEEKS.

The conclusion…Each brush had a different technology, the clarisonic has sonic vibrations so I had to do a rotating motion on my face while using it, the Olay brush rotates by itself so I had to just move it around in a straight movements (up, down, right, left). The MIA was bulkier to hold but I didn’t mind. I used both under the shower with no problem. Both left my skin feeling very clean, better than when I just rubbed my cleanser with my hands and both kept pimples at bay. Some people commented that the Clarisonic gives your skin better texture, so I carefully inspected each side of my face, both had reduced (a little) the size of my pores, had removed the majority of the blackheads on my nose and left my skin feeling equally soft. I did not see any difference in these two brushes in terms of efficacy. So after my little experiment was over, I returned the MIA to Sephora. I would have kept the Clarisonic had I bought the one that can be used on the body because that is an advantage over the Olay. But since this cannot be done with the MIA, I could not justify keeping it even if it felt fancier to hold and I liked that it had a charger instead of battery. I may purchase the Clarisonic that comes with a body brush in the future because I now know that electric brushes clean better than manual methods. It has now been 6 months since I started using the Olay and the battery is still going strong. Of note, I went on a trip for 10 days and forgot to bring my brush with me, and I got some pimples because of that. Which means this brush has to be used relatively daily. Not sure if the Clarisonic has longer lasting cleansing properties.

44 out of 46 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2011 1:46:00 AM More reviews by Angelamakeup

My mom was shopping for this brush and when the woman at the counter tried it on her I saw how much my mom liked it. So I decided to buy one for myself too. The first few days I broke out a bit but after that (and I've been using nightly for a month now) it has been wonderful. My skin always feel so soft and clean and I haven't broken out since the first week. It was totally worth the splurge for beautiful clean skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2011 8:12:00 PM More reviews by hip2Bsquare

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am so glad I got the Clarisonic Mia. I have always had uneven skintone, acne, and rough textured skin. The Mia does not completely eradicate acne, I still have small breakouts, but on the whole my skin looks so much better. My skin is much more smooth, fine lines are less prevalent, and my acne and redness have calmed. I did not have a huge purge, by the way; it just took longer to see the effects of the Mia to work. I am so much more confident now; it's absolutely worth the purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2011 12:02:00 PM More reviews by thedallasdiary

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love my Mia. At first I was hesitant because my skin was not used to such intensive exfoliation and it really rebelled. I began to get really dry skin and broke out a little more than usual. However, after you get past that initial purging period this thing will change your skin! I use it twice a day with the deep pore cleansing head. My skin looks flawless.