BeneFit Cosmetics HOOLA

4.1

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My absolute favourite bronzer!

For reference I have a very neutral skintone which is difficult to match products with as things are either too pink, too pale or too yellow. I usually use anywhere from NC20 - NC30 in MAC makeup, and the closest match for my skinetone that I've found so far is Real Sand 08 in Prescriptives Virtual Skin makeup.

I've tried a lot of bronzers, and am never really all that happy with them because of the skintone struggles I mentioned above. My latest was Laguna by Nars, which I've used for the last 3 years as even though I wasn't entirely happy with the product (it was a bit too pink for my liking), the compact was large and lasted a long time so i just stuck with it. It finally ran out so I started the search for a new bronzer. I am a Benefit lover and have started converting my makeup collection from Mac and Nars only to predominently Benefit, so I decided to search within this brand for the bronzer, and after reading all of the Hoola reviews, I took the leap and bought this as it was only $16 NZD.

It's a very neutral bronzer, and applies very sheer, but is buildable. It's also matte, which is perfect for someone like me with extremely oily skin (I know, I won the genetic lottery!). I really cannot rave enough about the colour and price, and I will definitely be purchasing Hoola again.

on 3/25/2011 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Decent. Not an HG for me. I don't love it or hate it. When I first bought it, for the first week, it made my skin itch like a beast. No breakouts or anything, no rash or bumps, but it itched soooooo much. I'm assuming that's from the heavy talc in it. Eventually that went away, though, when my skin got used to it. Thank goodness I didn't have any flareups.

I have very fair skin, so this is a difficult color for me to pull off, even as a contour. I tried to make it work every which way I could, just because so many other people love it. I finally gave up when I'd received one too many comments that my cheeks looked "dirty". No way, Jose. That was all I needed to hear to retire this stuff indefinitely. If I happen to get a bit of color in the summer months, I'll pull this back out again.

It's very very pigmented so one must be very careful when applying it. Use a light hand. Don't use a dense brush. And maybe use this prior to powdering your face, so that maybe your setting powder will diffuse the color of the bronzer a bit. It's really intense and very tricky to get right....at least for fair-light skin tones. I imagine anyone medium and deeper would love this.

It has no shimmer, and it lasts. In itself, it's a great product. Just not the best color for us all. I've resorted to using my Marcelle Velvety Powder Blush in "Natural" as my bronzer now. It works perfectly with my pale skin and I can use it as a contour or a blush, depending on my needs.

on 3/24/2011 5:29:00 PM

This is a great matte bronzer and has no warm tones in it. I do like to use this for a contour colour in the warmer months, in the hollows of my cheeks, temples/forhead and under my chin. This shade also makes a great natural eyeshadow for the crease and is very longlasting and easy to blend. It is quite pigmented, so a little goes a long way. I would suggest applying with a fluffier brush for even distribution and blending.

on 3/23/2011 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I have fair skin...I don't use a bronzer all over my face as I am not into the tan look. I use bronzer under my blush to make my cheeks pop. I read the reviews on Hoola and it sounded perfect....looking for a bronzer with NO shimmer since I like to add my shimmer/highlighter myself. So, I go to Ulta today (I prefer Sephora but Ulta was giving away a free gift with purchase) and looked at Hoola in person. It didn't look like anything special in the display...it was lined up with all their other colors and I thought Hoola looked drab. I bought it due to all the good reviews and figured I could return it if it didn't work out. Well, it did work out. I love it. After throwing away the lame brush that it comes with I swiped it on my cheeks (a LIGHT hand is needed with this color on fair skin)...topped it with a pinkish blush over that and High Beam on top of all that goodness. Very nice indeed.

EDIT: I do like this bronzer BUT I could understand someone with fair skin not liking it. I use it as a first layer...sort of like a contour...and use my blush over it and then add my glow..IF I were to use Hoola by itself and not do anything else, I wouldn't like it.

on 3/23/2011 2:36:00 AM

Hoola is the bronzer I always go back to. It is a wonderful, dark bronze, matte shade that compliments many skin tones. The only people I wouldn't recommend it to are those with very fair complexions, because it may be a little too dark. It is quite expensive, around $25, but it lasts forever and is high-quality. It won't make skin breakout, and it doesn't shatter and crumble like other cheap bronzers. The packaging is great, I love how it comes in a little sturdy box. The brush that it comes with isn't the best, I would recommend using a kabuki brush or something round and puffy.

on 3/21/2011 7:15:00 PM

This bronzer is actually a little dark for me, but I buy it purely for the reason that it's the only bronzer I've ever had that doesn't break in the palette! Good colour pay off, so it lasts ages, but you need a light touch. Of course all Benefit's packaging is adorable. On the pricey side, but I find it good value because you can use it all the way to the end...

on 3/20/2011 4:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I personally think Hoola can be beautiful on anybody! I love how it naturally bronzes, instead of crazy shimmers like other brands. This was my first benefit blush color and I loved it, and got the other colors.

It last forever so I do think it's a great buy and a must have.

I wish they would make an empty hole palette for their blushes, because I kind of don't like the box method..

on 3/17/2011 11:28:00 PM

HG colour for countouring. Matte and gives me those sculpted cheek bones I wish I had sans makeup, lol. Looks beautiful in photographs. Apply with a small angled bblush brush and really blend out then go over it with a kabuki for it to be really blended. Not a big fan of Benefit's box powder packaging, get's dirty/ugly fast.

When I first saw this I didn't think it would show up on my skin since I'm already naturally tan, but I wanted something for contouring that looked more natural than the contour I was currently using. Bought it anyway, gave it a try, and I love it! It looks so natural because it still shows up and blends well with my tan skin. It's very build-able so you can go as light or as heavy as you want, and it doesn't end up looking muddy or dirty either. It also doesn't look orange-y or reddish like I've noticed other bronzers/contours do. Very happy with this. One lippie off though because it doesn't seem to have as great a staying power as I'd like.

on 3/10/2011 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

this is a really great matte bronzer. the formula is smooth and never oxidizes. it's also a really brown color, and not orangey like many bronzers. I do think the packaging is cute, but it seems really impractical, especially for travel. it just takes up so much room! This is the best bronzer I have ever used.

Popular Bronzers