L'Oreal Voluminous in Carbon Black

3.5

I have been wanting to try this for a long time now, so I went ahead and purchased one last week. I had high hopes for it but, sadly, I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed. The volume was okay, but there are other mascaras that can do better. It was a bit clumpy too. At the end of the night, it was a complete PAIN to get off - the black smudges around my eyes are a pain to get rid off. It also flakes in/around your eyes too. The one excellent thing, though, is that the black is REALLY pigmented.

on 3/30/2010 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

So i love the color carbon black since it tends to make my eyes look a bit more "mysterious". Decided to purchase this and thought it'd just be another mascara to add to the collection, but boy was I wrong. I wear this now everyday! It makes my lashes soo black and soo full and it does not flake or smudge or anything. I love this. Definitely will repurchase this!

Four lippies just cause the packaging could be a bit more pretty. Lol

on 3/29/2010 4:58:00 PM

This is byfar the best mascara I have ever used! It adds great length and volume to my extremely thin lashes. It really helps make my eyes pop and gives me an intense look that I'm aiming for. In my opinion, it works just as great as Diorshow but for only a fraction of the price! Also, it doesn't smudge and holds a curl very well. I definitely recommend this!

on 3/27/2010 11:37:00 PM

i freakin' love this mascara. this was something i had had in my drawer for a while and there was a time in my life where i just went mascara crazy and this kind of got neglected... but last week i tried it again (prob had it in there for about 5 months), and 2 coats made my lashes look fabulous and very dark! i love it and it is becoming my go-to again. 3 coats for a night out would be beyond this world.

on 3/24/2010 9:58:00 PM

Hmmmm, I wanted to like this but I just don't see any difference between it's blackness and the blackness of any other mascara. I know, I know...you're probably thinking WHAT?!?! but seriously, I don't see any difference at all. It didn't make my eyelashes look any different than any other volumizing mascara does.

on 3/19/2010 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This used to be my go-to mascara; it was then "improved" and the formula changed. Then L'Oreal remarketed the "original" Voluminous mascara. The new "old" formula is much goopier and harder to apply without spattering around my eyelids. I'm now looking for a mascara that makes my eyelashes look even half as good as my old faithful but so far I haven't been successful. I hate it when they IMPROVE things!!!

on 3/18/2010 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Anyone who follows my reviews knows i am a mascara junkie. If its out, ive tried it. I really love this mascara when i want a very dramatic eye. The color is a sensational black. Probably the blackest mascara on the market, h/e and d/s. The formula is tricky with this one. You have to apply it very slowly. You cant do the normal line to tip wiggle with this or its a clumpy mess. Just slowly appy to base of lahes and wiggle back and forth to lash tips, slowly, very very slowly. This is key. The actual mascara itself is great. Gives heaps of volume and more than decent length. This drys very quickly so if you apply multiple coats do one eye at a time for best results. The black color is majorly black, never fades, flakes or smudges. This is by far comparable to lancome hypnose with a fraction of the price tag. Great ds mascara. Probably the best one yet.

Definitely a volume builder but EACH time I have used a L'Oreal mascara they become very messy and require me to wipe the outside of the tube constantly. Big lashes and yes sometimes a dry sometimes clumpy look if you are not careful. Overall, too messy to deal with.

on 3/16/2010 12:18:00 AM

Clumps everywhere! I had high hopes based on the good reviews and got this thick clumpy mess of a mascara.The only way I find it usable is by wiping it on the edges every time I use it it's so thick and doesn't length much and just a waste of money.

on 3/15/2010 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was my HG mascara for a long time! Now it might have beaten by Rimmel's Max Volume Flash, but I still have love for it.

Volume:
This mascara is amazing because of the volume. The title doesn't lie, when I wear this mascara it feels like I'm wearing fake eyelashes. If you're looking for dramatic lashes, check this it out for sure.

Length:
It gives a decent amount of length, the mascara is better for creating volume though. But I do get long lashes using this overall, so while it's not the best lengthening mascara out there, it does off some length.

Curl:
Like the length, it gives decent amount of curl but it's not the main priority of the product. I still recommend using a eyelash curler before using this.

Color:
Want incredibly dark lashes? Carbon Black will definitely supply you that wish. If you have dark lashes to begin with, maybe this won't be amazing, but for girls like me who have light lashes, the color is really impressive!

Texture:
Here is my main complaint - dryness. Whenever I wear mascara, my lashes don't feel soft anymore because they're now coated with product. But Voluminous is much worse than others when it comes to dryness. Sometimes my lashes feel really hard using this, and that's not cute.

Packaging/Price: It's simple packaging, you can spot it out as the tube is a darker black than the original to distinguish the difference. The gold top paired with the black is nice but nothing special. You get .023 oz for about $8, so that's a pretty good deal.

Overall:
+ Beautiful dark color
+ Volume is amazing!
+ Lengthens quite well
- Boring packaging
- Can make lashes feel quite hard, is quite drying on the lashes continued >>

Video Reviews & Tutorials