October 21, 2014 | 887 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Voluminous in Carbon Black

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2010 12:00:00 PM More reviews by rose1234

Edit:

I put this in my work bag and then discovered it months later and it was GREAT. First of all, I changed the brush to the one on Full'N'Soft so that it would separate lashes and it seems like this needs to dry out - a lot. I may repurchase and experiment with seeing if I leave it open overnight what happens....

Original Post**************************************************************

I have been a happy user of Full'N'Soft, but wanted something really black and thickening just for a different effect. I remembered that Voluminous has great reviews and I thought Carbon Black would just be the blackest version. I guess now that I have read the reviews, I was wrong.

My lashes have a natural curl that this mascara takes out. Also, I have a lot of lashes (but they are thin) so if a mascara can seperate and increase the volume, they can look really nice. Not the case here. Multiple lashes were stuck together creating a less volume effect and there were little clumps all over the place. Ugh.

This mascara is headed for the waste bin.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2010 12:50:00 AM More reviews by haraku1

I love this mascara!
I have sparse long lashes and this product really gives a lot volume to my lashes!!
But I think this product could a bit better if it could hold the lashes...
So I am thinking to purchase the waterproof one next time.
Currently I am using this mascara with Max Factor's waterproof mascara for lengthening and they both together work really well for me!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/28/2010 12:05:00 PM More reviews by jenikins25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Worst mascara I ever used. It's clumps, and has a cheap brush. The formula is thick and doesn't add volume nor length.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2010 5:00:00 PM More reviews by rvkma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been a fan of the original Voluminous formula for over 20 years now. This incarnation is a real disappointment in comparison. Last time I needed mascara, Walgreens was out of my beloved except for the Carbon Black, so I figured, eh, what the heck, it's just blacker, right? NOPE. The formula is completely different. It dries VERY stiff and VERY clumpy. It leaves me with "spider leg lashes" which is NOT attractive. It is also really dry and hard to comb through, making this a complete disaster for me. Boo hoo!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2010 4:28:00 PM More reviews by florabundance

This is a really lovely product and my new favourite mascara. I was suprised at the price of this mascara, as I expected it to be over 10 and it was only 7. Also I got the choice of any free L'Oreal eyeliner with my purchase from Boots too! (naturally I decided to opt for a liquid eyeliner worth 6 - amazing!). The packaging is nice and feels quite expensive, so I felt like I got alot for my money. The mascara itself is very fluid, so I can understand how this may be difficult to work with - you need a very steady hand and plenty of time to prevent smudges! But it does make the lashes look long, thick and dark after just one application giving beautiful fluttery lashes. It is also very buildable so you can custom your desired effect with how many coats you apply and I have found that it doesn't clump. I found the product stayed on at least 12 hours without smudging and the lashes still felt feathery soft at the end of the day. If you are looking for a mascara which gives you a natural lash, then this may not be the right mascara for you. If however, you are after those full-on glamour lashes then this product is perfect.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2010 4:59:00 PM More reviews by Mac789

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am a huge fan of the original Voluminous and have been wearing it for years. I'm fickle though, and am never immune to the appeal of upper-end chic. Over the years I have tried every mascara under the sun and I have never found the equal of Voluminous.

I need to note that I am not a high-maintenance mascara user. I do not give a hoot about curl and I do not own a mascara comb. The only concession I make is to swipe product off the applicator; I have to do this because I live in the South and humidity does terrible things to a product.

Given my fondness for Voluminous, you'd think that Carbon Black would be equally pleasing. It isn't. The difference is not just in color intensity but in formula. Carbon Black is drier than is regular Voluminous. Although this makes for less wand-swiping, it also creates a stiffer lash, and stiffer lashes mean smudges.

This is not to say that Voluminous doesn't smudge; it does, a bit, but hardly enough for all but the keenest eye to notice. Carbon Black, on the other hand, punches you beneath the eye with...carbon black. The deeper the black, the darker the circle. Duh.

Not recommended. I gave it three stars because it is not as bad as Faux Cils, which was a disaster, and it didn't need its own lash accessories or dangerous straight pins in order to remove clumps. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2010 11:23:00 PM More reviews by peqpatino

I bought the mascara because of all the great reviews and recommendations of the product. I wanted a mascara that gave great volume for a dramatic look. The matte finish to the mascara tube appeared very simple but chic. After trying it I was disappointed. Even with wiping the brush first, the mascara still clumped like crazy. I kept trying it for about a week but gave up because no matter what it clumped and I had to spend a lot of time combing to get rid of the spider lashes. It did add volume to my lashes after combing but I do not want to work that hard every day with my mascara.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2010 10:42:00 AM More reviews by indigoangel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Meh... I recently found this mascara on sale for under $5 so I decided to give it a try. The word 'Voluminous' is a misnomer. My lashes remained 'skimpy' and sparse looking even after a few coats. Adding more coats just made it start clumping! What a mess! Will not purchase this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2010 12:32:00 AM More reviews by conebaby

I really like this mascara. No problems with smudging or flaking, very smooth, no clumping if you take your time. Removal is harder - this is a very black formula and it's just a mess when you take it off. The look is worth it - not sure if I would compare it to Diorshow...maybe tomorrow I'll use one on each eye and edit my review with the results. I wonder if the original formula is quite so messy on the removal? The bottom line is that I really like the final look - dark and lashy without being over the top.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2010 6:18:00 PM More reviews by Heechul

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

APPLICATION:
It is very smooth. I liked it. It's almost like Clinique's High Impact in my opinion, except not as creamy/silky feeling.
However, it is a bit heavy so..

CURL:
Did not hold the curl at all. My lashes which were curled in the day started drooping.. thus that led to..

WEAR:
Smudging throughout the day. :( I had raccoon eye smudges by mid-day and I know this because I've given this a try for awhile with no other makeup on as well!

This may be nice, as long as it doesn't smudge for you.
I wore it on the UPPER lashes, not the bottom, and it smudged my bottom.. lashline area? Under my eyes?

No flaking, but it smudged horribly.

I tried two tubes, so this won't work out for me at all.