September 19, 2014 | 1907 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Voluminous in Carbon Black

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2010 4:28:00 PM More reviews by florabundance

This is a really lovely product and my new favourite mascara. I was suprised at the price of this mascara, as I expected it to be over 10 and it was only 7. Also I got the choice of any free L'Oreal eyeliner with my purchase from Boots too! (naturally I decided to opt for a liquid eyeliner worth 6 - amazing!). The packaging is nice and feels quite expensive, so I felt like I got alot for my money. The mascara itself is very fluid, so I can understand how this may be difficult to work with - you need a very steady hand and plenty of time to prevent smudges! But it does make the lashes look long, thick and dark after just one application giving beautiful fluttery lashes. It is also very buildable so you can custom your desired effect with how many coats you apply and I have found that it doesn't clump. I found the product stayed on at least 12 hours without smudging and the lashes still felt feathery soft at the end of the day. If you are looking for a mascara which gives you a natural lash, then this may not be the right mascara for you. If however, you are after those full-on glamour lashes then this product is perfect.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2010 4:59:00 PM More reviews by Mac789

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am a huge fan of the original Voluminous and have been wearing it for years. I'm fickle though, and am never immune to the appeal of upper-end chic. Over the years I have tried every mascara under the sun and I have never found the equal of Voluminous.

I need to note that I am not a high-maintenance mascara user. I do not give a hoot about curl and I do not own a mascara comb. The only concession I make is to swipe product off the applicator; I have to do this because I live in the South and humidity does terrible things to a product.

Given my fondness for Voluminous, you'd think that Carbon Black would be equally pleasing. It isn't. The difference is not just in color intensity but in formula. Carbon Black is drier than is regular Voluminous. Although this makes for less wand-swiping, it also creates a stiffer lash, and stiffer lashes mean smudges.

This is not to say that Voluminous doesn't smudge; it does, a bit, but hardly enough for all but the keenest eye to notice. Carbon Black, on the other hand, punches you beneath the eye with...carbon black. The deeper the black, the darker the circle. Duh.

Not recommended. I gave it three stars because it is not as bad as Faux Cils, which was a disaster, and it didn't need its own lash accessories or dangerous straight pins in order to remove clumps. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2010 11:23:00 PM More reviews by peqpatino

I bought the mascara because of all the great reviews and recommendations of the product. I wanted a mascara that gave great volume for a dramatic look. The matte finish to the mascara tube appeared very simple but chic. After trying it I was disappointed. Even with wiping the brush first, the mascara still clumped like crazy. I kept trying it for about a week but gave up because no matter what it clumped and I had to spend a lot of time combing to get rid of the spider lashes. It did add volume to my lashes after combing but I do not want to work that hard every day with my mascara.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2010 10:42:00 AM More reviews by indigoangel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Meh... I recently found this mascara on sale for under $5 so I decided to give it a try. The word 'Voluminous' is a misnomer. My lashes remained 'skimpy' and sparse looking even after a few coats. Adding more coats just made it start clumping! What a mess! Will not purchase this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2010 12:32:00 AM More reviews by conebaby

I really like this mascara. No problems with smudging or flaking, very smooth, no clumping if you take your time. Removal is harder - this is a very black formula and it's just a mess when you take it off. The look is worth it - not sure if I would compare it to Diorshow...maybe tomorrow I'll use one on each eye and edit my review with the results. I wonder if the original formula is quite so messy on the removal? The bottom line is that I really like the final look - dark and lashy without being over the top.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2010 6:18:00 PM More reviews by Heechul

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

APPLICATION:
It is very smooth. I liked it. It's almost like Clinique's High Impact in my opinion, except not as creamy/silky feeling.
However, it is a bit heavy so..

CURL:
Did not hold the curl at all. My lashes which were curled in the day started drooping.. thus that led to..

WEAR:
Smudging throughout the day. :( I had raccoon eye smudges by mid-day and I know this because I've given this a try for awhile with no other makeup on as well!

This may be nice, as long as it doesn't smudge for you.
I wore it on the UPPER lashes, not the bottom, and it smudged my bottom.. lashline area? Under my eyes?

No flaking, but it smudged horribly.

I tried two tubes, so this won't work out for me at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2010 4:11:00 PM More reviews by cail08

Okay before you buy this product, make sure you are great at applying mascara, and have the time to do it.
It takes some skill not to get it on your lower eye, and your lid, as the mascara is very rich, and the results can either be beautiful or a disaster.
I like this mascara cause it makes your lashes look unbelievable and the consistency of the product is very intense, comes out oily, so thats where you have to be cautious and not get it on your lids etc around your eye.
Overall, it comes out beautifully. But if you are wearing it on your lower lashes just use another mascara, gets a bit messy.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/13/2010 2:49:00 AM More reviews by megankm0621

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

wow the rating is a little high for this imo. this smudged so much. After like 2 hours of having it on it was all under my eye. itd be fine if u didnt wear mascara on ur bottom lashes maybe...unless it transfers from my upper lashes too. anywho will NOT repurchase. swapping this one!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/13/2010 2:39:00 AM More reviews by adella333

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i bought this mascara thinking the review i read about it being one of the "best" was right, boy, was i disappointed! yeah, it has rich black pigment, but after a couple of hours, it smudged so much i looked like a racoon! and i didnt know it until after i got home... never buying this again. i cant even use it for an "everyday" mascara.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2010 1:50:00 AM More reviews by Bambie_Blonde

I love this mascara! its truly a black color that goes on looking very nice and rich. For reference, I only use this on my lower lashes because I wear falsies. Anywho, most mascara's that I have tried for my lower lashes wouldn't really darken them- I have blonde lashes, and on top of that most of the wands wouldn't apply the mascara correctly. It would smudge, and not sculpt correctly. The L'oreal Voluminous carbon black sculpts my lower lashes nicely, so they look even and in place and very dark :) - The only downside to this mascara is that it can smudge on occasion, many mascara's have done that in my experience. However, until I find something that doesn't smudge- I am loving this ♥