L'Oreal Voluminous in Carbon Black

3.5

Definitely a volume builder but EACH time I have used a L'Oreal mascara they become very messy and require me to wipe the outside of the tube constantly. Big lashes and yes sometimes a dry sometimes clumpy look if you are not careful. Overall, too messy to deal with.

on 3/16/2010 12:18:00 AM

Clumps everywhere! I had high hopes based on the good reviews and got this thick clumpy mess of a mascara.The only way I find it usable is by wiping it on the edges every time I use it it's so thick and doesn't length much and just a waste of money.

on 3/15/2010 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was my HG mascara for a long time! Now it might have beaten by Rimmel's Max Volume Flash, but I still have love for it.

Volume:
This mascara is amazing because of the volume. The title doesn't lie, when I wear this mascara it feels like I'm wearing fake eyelashes. If you're looking for dramatic lashes, check this it out for sure.

Length:
It gives a decent amount of length, the mascara is better for creating volume though. But I do get long lashes using this overall, so while it's not the best lengthening mascara out there, it does off some length.

Curl:
Like the length, it gives decent amount of curl but it's not the main priority of the product. I still recommend using a eyelash curler before using this.

Color:
Want incredibly dark lashes? Carbon Black will definitely supply you that wish. If you have dark lashes to begin with, maybe this won't be amazing, but for girls like me who have light lashes, the color is really impressive!

Texture:
Here is my main complaint - dryness. Whenever I wear mascara, my lashes don't feel soft anymore because they're now coated with product. But Voluminous is much worse than others when it comes to dryness. Sometimes my lashes feel really hard using this, and that's not cute.

Packaging/Price: It's simple packaging, you can spot it out as the tube is a darker black than the original to distinguish the difference. The gold top paired with the black is nice but nothing special. You get .023 oz for about $8, so that's a pretty good deal.

Overall:
+ Beautiful dark color
+ Volume is amazing!
+ Lengthens quite well
- Boring packaging
- Can make lashes feel quite hard, is quite drying on the lashes continued >>

on 3/13/2010 1:03:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I like this one better than the original Voluminous mascara. The original formula is way too thick & clumps like craaazzyy. This isn't as bad and as messy. Dries faster than the original and doesn't clump as bad. Overall it's good.

on 3/10/2010 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I love the regular L'Oreal Voluminous and have been recently trying some of the other Voluminous formulas that are avalible. Voluminous Carbon Black has preformed just as well as my regular Voluminous. And I must add that I do not see much of a difference in color from a normal (black) Voluminous and the carbon black. I do have dark hair so many the difference doesn't show up on me, but the mascara formula itself is just as good as the original, so the color is un-important to me. I would definately suggest this to anyone. I think that this is one of the best drugstore mascaras I have ever tried.

on 3/10/2010 10:15:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I heard so much about this that I bought one when it was on sale at a drug store (I forget which one). I had high hopes and the tube that I got may be a bad one but it clumps on my lashes and looks very unnatural. I'll use it until I run out and I might purchase another one just to see if I got a bad one but there are so many mascaras out there that I will probably try other ones before attempting this one again.

on 3/2/2010 6:34:00 AM

I LOVE THIS MASCARA! It reminds me of my other favorite mascara...Mayb. Proffesional waterproof! I put one coat for work and as many as i can handle for nights out! It's never made my lashes look spidery and i love how pigmented it is. The only downside is that sometimes there's clumps on the very base of the wand. I have to stick it in the tube again and rub the sides of it against the lip of the tube. but other than that i love it. DEF. a false lash effect!!!

on 3/1/2010 12:18:00 PM

I've tried the waterproof Voluminous in the past and hated it. It flaked and I ended up looking like I had black freckles under my eyes by end of day. The regular Voluminous was great, no flakes, but I found my lashes dried out and broke if I wore it too frequently :(
I was having a hard time finding Max Factor 2000 cal mascara (looking at reviews below, it's being discontinued? darnit.) and decided to try this one, figuring I could return it if I hated it. I love this stuff! Doesn't flake, doesn't run. It also can be applied lightly for day wear, or add a few more coats and it's perfectly dark for night wear.

I will be buying this again!

on 2/28/2010 8:50:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I LOVE this stuff. Makeup Geek on youtube did a review of her top ten favorite products, and this was one of them. I have tried so many mascaras, from high end to low, and this is by far the best. It's a beautiful formula, creamy and easy to apply and gave me the longest lashes I've ever seen. Also, it doesn't flake into my eyes or clump like Diorshow or last blash.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I LOVED L'Oreal Voluminous in waterproof the regular one. So I figured i will love this one as well because I felt the only difference would be the color of it. Well when I applied it, I felt no difference. it wasn't darker in my opinion, it looked the same. However the formula wasn't as wet as the regular one but I figured I just got a dried out tube. Also some other issues that I found was that it started giving me racoon eyes. Which is soo weird because my regular one doesn't and I got it in waterproof so I wouldn't get the racoon eyes. And by the end of the day when I clean my face and take off my makeup, this mascara is sooo hard to get off. That is the only time when I thought the waterproof worked. With the original one, It came off a little easier, but this one took me two makeup wipes and on top of that eye makeup remover. I will just go back to the L'Oreal Voluminous original in waterproof

Video Reviews & Tutorials