Chanel No.5

3.5

on 12/22/2006 3:49:00 AM

Blegh. I have never been in a funeral home, but if I had, I can imagine it would have smelled like THIS. No joke. I agree with the below posters who wanted to love it because, after all, it's Chanel No. 5! How completely classy would it be to wear it? But alas, it smells like dead people. Sorry! Not for me. Maybe in fifty years.

on 12/22/2006 3:45:00 AM

I dearly wanted to like this. Wouldn't it be great if I could say "Oh yes, I wear Chanel No. 5"?

But alas, it smells kind of old lady, generic. I would never wear it, I don't want to smell like in thta gross floral funeral-homey kind of way. Although, and I don't want to sound dumb here but, I would (and did) buy the full 3.4 oz bottle just to have it on my dresser. It looks so sophisticated there, realand if anyone asks, I can at least pretend like I occassionally wear it. It's too bad though, I really had high hopes for this one. Perhaps it was relevant a long time ago and for a different type of woman of a different age, but I couldn't see any under the age of 70 wearing this today.

on 12/22/2006 3:32:00 AM

Too harsh to my nose (must be the aldehydes). Also smells too mature for me (I'm in my early 20s). Such a classic scent, and it must work on some, but to me, it's a chemical mess...

on 12/20/2006 10:50:00 PM

I so want to like this because there is part of this fragrance that appeals to me, but for the most part, it smells like a baby's pordered butt and an old lady. Foul.

on 12/15/2006 4:22:00 AM

On me, this scent starts out really, really strong and very "old lady" and musky.
As it eventually sinks into my skin, the scent steadily gets lighter, and sweeter and I actually find myself putting my wrist up to my nose to enjoy it.
Before it fades completely, it morphs into deliciously sweet, powdery scent that isn't too overwhelming, and is quite pleasing to the nose.

I will say that this is a scent that you DEFINITELY want to try out on yourself before you buy it, because it can smell pretty sour on some people. Let it set on the skin for awhile, and see how it reacts with your chemistry. If it works, then I suggest you pick up a bottle for yourself.

on 12/8/2006 1:18:00 AM

I really want to love this perfume, but I can't. It smells a little like baby powder on me, which isn't necessarily bad, but I could just put on some baby powder if I wanted that. The scent is very different to me, and I am giving it a chance. However I do know that my significant other absolutely detests the scent. He stepped into the bathroom a few minutes after I put some on and actually wrinkled his nose in disgust. I don't think I would repurchase this any time soon, but maybe I would again someday. For now I am partial to Coco Mademoiselle.

Edit: Nope, can't do it. I'll come back to it years from now to see if I feel differently.

on 12/4/2006 1:52:00 AM

Gorgeous, sexy, complex, timeless...Chanel No.5 is genius in a bottle. This is not a fragrance for little girls, and if you think it smells like your grandmother, well, No.5 may well be one of the reasons she IS a grandmother in the first place. capisce?

on 12/2/2006 4:27:00 PM

I dont get how this fragrance is so famous,well i guess it is Chanel but on me this does smells horrible!!
I guess it might smell better on other people but it just smells really old musky like a granny's attic!!

on 11/27/2006 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Doesn't work on me. I don't HATE it, but it just smells like baby powder on me. My hubby says it reminds him of "old ladies", so I definitely won't be repurchasing. Not the end all be all I thought it might be.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this in the gift set, with the shower gel, lotion, and 1.7 oz EDP. I tried it on in macys today, and was amazed at how GOOD it smelled on me. Im usually a fan of fruity/citrusy/light floral fragrances, and not so much the powdery or "older" types (Im only 25). I was expecting this to turn into a metallic, old-lady-with-lots-of-cats sort of smell, but it didnt. It dried down to a sweet and fresh powdery smell on me! Its like what you would expect a beautiful young woman to be wearing to church - a clean, respectable, memorable smell. My mom wants so much to love this perfume, but it turns sour on her, but for some reason it turns sweet on me. Whereas, Coco Mademoiselle smells awfully sour on me, but sweet on her. Very strange how that works. Anyway, Im very glad I bought this, its very sophisticated and elegant smelling, and Im glad it works on my skin.

Popular Fragrances