November 28, 2014 | 1616 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Acne Wash

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2008 12:29:00 AM More reviews by drummagirl65

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This cleanser works really well for me. My skin feels so clean and soft after using it. I don't have any residue on my face afterwards, and it doesn't dry it out. It doesn't seem to have a huge effect on my acne though, maybe just clearing it up a little from dirt and whatever else accumulates on my face daily that would worsen it or cause small pimples. It lasts a long time because I find that half a pump is all I need each time I use it. Overall it is a great cleanser, just not the best acne product. I would definitely buy again.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2008 1:18:00 AM More reviews by MAS520

I was not expecting much from this cleanser, and I was surprised! It helped purge a lot of my clogged pores and it helped smooth out my skin. I used this cleanser 2x a day with PTR's clarifying glycolic at night. I was so excited to see that it was working, but after a couple of weeks, it totally dried out my skin. It have an oily t-zone with normal cheeks (combo skin), so it might have been the fact that I was using AHAs in combo with the 2% salicylic acid found in this wash. It was just too drying and harsh for my skin. Too bad, I was starting to think this could have been my HG cleanser. If anyone knows a good cleanser for combo skin with clogged pores and some white heads let me know!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/3/2008 1:25:00 AM More reviews by civicbabe627

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product has dried out my skin so bad!
I haven't noticed a difference in my zits... I don't get many, but using this hasn't made them any less frequent.
I won't be buying this product again, just too harsh for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/1/2008 4:29:00 PM More reviews by KellyAnne8

Too harsh for my skin. Very apparent medicine-y smell.

When I had horrible skin in my teens this might have worked well, but as a 25 year old with changing combination skin (read: aging process has started) this stripped my skin and changed the texture to rough and red. Not quite sure of my impetus behind this purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2008 3:10:00 AM More reviews by justfornow

I'm on my second bottle. This stuff is just...WOW. It may be slightly drying but it has made miracles for me..even though it took a while to realize. Well I purchased this cleanser last year and took it with me overseas to the hottest place in the world-literally. And I had hardly a single breakout there while using this stuff for a month. Maybe just 2 pimples..which is crazy considering I'm no stranger to huge breakouts. And naturally you would tend to breakout in high, humid temperatures. I honestly owe it to this stuff. Upon returning to Canada I stopped using this cleanser and...this school year experienced some pretty horrible breakouts. So I decided to go back to something simple: Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash, and once again my skin is doing better than ever before.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/23/2008 9:58:00 PM More reviews by icytiger8888

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

UGH, I really wasn't a fan of this cleanser when I was using it.
It did an OKAY job, but nothing great, I never noticed a DECREASE...or INCREASE of the amount of pimples/breakouts that I had, although now that I think about it, some of the worse break outs and other skin problems I got were while I was using this product....

personally, it did nothing for me. and I wont be buying it again.

and someone stated that the bottle lasts up to 6 monthes....mine lasted me about a month and a half...2 at the most.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2008 1:56:00 PM More reviews by TropicalyFrozen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

It did a really good job cleaning my face and did not break me out, but it dried out my face really bad. My skin was really dry after using this just a couple times and I live in a very humid area. It was a awesome facial cleanser but just to drying for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/13/2008 10:18:00 AM More reviews by sumansaran

A few months ago, I decided I finally needed to settle down with a good, classic, simple-formula cleanser. Up until recently, I would buy whatever I found on sale or just something that was different but basic enough. I don't use cleanser religiously, but I wanted something that would help with my mild acne and whiteheads. I bought this because Neutrogena is a trusted brand, the gel formula seemed simple enough, and because it has salicylic acid. I thought this would help with my frequent breakouts and blemishes. For a while it thought it was doing the job, but once I started using some acne medication, I realized how drying and irritating it can actually be. Even though its not a strong formula, I just don't think any facial products should have harsh ingredients, including any kind of "acid," in them. The only cleanser I've used whose salicylic acid content wasn't bothersome is the Burt's Bee's Peach and Willowbark Scrub, which naturally has it from willowbark. Since I stopped using the Neutrogena and started experimenting with Cetaphil, Dessert Essences Tea Tree Oil cleanser, and Avalon Revitalizing cleanser, and the Burt's Bees scrub (don't worry, I don't use them ALL, and definitely regularly - just in comparison they have given better results overall) in combination with my acne medication, my skin has already improved a lot. I agree with someone else's statement here that this is too harsh even for people with combination skin, especially if you have to use other prescribed products that already treating your skin with harsher ingredients. I can only imagine what cleansers with a higher percentage of salicylic acid or other ingredients do. I would stick with natural, organic cleansers and leave the heavy-duty treatments to prescribed creams or other drugstore brands. Cleansers should just clean and soothe.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2008 9:43:00 AM More reviews by orangeinsanity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My face felt really tight and dry after using this.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2008 9:13:00 AM More reviews by juliet92

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i used to use this for a while and i liked it, in time it managed to control my acne a bit and gave me a squeaky clean feel! but now i'm using a cleanser given to me by my dermatologist, but otherwise i would buy this again.