September 22, 2014 | 1282 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 12/4/2011 1:19:00 AM More reviews by riccoeb

So devastated about this product. After all the reviews, and the recommendations I have to to say I am really disappointed. I have sensitive/dry skin and initially with application it seems fine. Then within seconds all these dry patches appear everywhere! I have tried with primers, bases, and a whole host of different moisturisers. Still the worst and you have to worked incredibly hard to blend it, it is thick, and sticky. Also, found colours are darker than usual, as normally have worn Nars Deauville, but it is so dark in the Sheer Glow. Mont Blanc a better option for pale, dark skin girls.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/3/2011 12:01:00 AM More reviews by Lanolin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wanted to like this foundation so bad. Nars? Love it. Sheer? Sure. Glow? Sounds good. Nars Sheer Glow? Not so great.

I have nice skin but I wear foundation to just even out my coloring. I don't need to cover up acne, or scars, or gigantic pores. I just want my skin, but better. Anyway, this foundation goes on smooth initially but,

1.) It does not last

2.) If you build it, it will be cakey. You will totally see it sitting on your skin

3.) It settles into lines. Not drastically, but I expect better for the price.

4.) I've tried, it with different moisturizers and different primers, different sponges and brushes, but it always goes sliding off my face by noon (i don't even have oily skin.) It just isn't pretty. It actually makes my skin look worse. I feel like it highlights my rifts and valleys.

5.) It adds a ton of color without coverage if that makes sense. Yes, I know it is a sheer foundation but it should COVER something, right?

I never took this back. In fact, I still wear it from time to time and each and every time, I regret putting it on. I don't think this is a terrible foundation but it doesn't work for me. Some people love it. I know some makeup artists that swear by it and I know some that think this is Nars' biggest dud. My advice is to completely test drive this foundation before you buy it, or at least be prepared to take it back.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2011 8:10:00 PM More reviews by TerranceChristian

I'm a male Makeup Artist who has tried tons of foundations (MAC, MUFE, Smashbox, Bobbi Brown, Stila, and Josie Maran) just to name a few. For reference I'm an NC42 - NC44.

For about a year I've been using Nars Sheer Glow in "Syracuse" which is described as medium-dark with brown undertones. Unfortunately for me, lately I've been noticing that it tends to lean on the pink/neutral side on my very yellow undertone. Yesterday I decided to pick up a few samples from Nars in the colors "Stromboli" (medium with olive undertones) and Tahoe (medium-dark with caramel undertones). By mixing the two I've created the perfect match! I no longer need to wear a bronzer to warm up my complexion, which ultimately made me two shades darker than I really was. I don't expect the average customer to buy more than one color to get the right match, but it's what works best for me.

Nars' description is spot on (satin-finish foundation with sheer and buildable coverage). As a man, I don't want people to know I'm wearing makeup and this foundation truly gives me that. My skin looks perfected with a completely natural radiance to it and best of all I get complemented on my skin everyday!

Method of application: Fingers! The warmth of your fingers will melt the foundation into your skin for a seamless natural look and provide sheer to light coverage. If you're interested in Medium coverage use a brush (my recommendation is MAC's #130). After applying the foundation I finish off by spritzing MAC's Fix + and finger-tapping it into my skin. If throughout the day I get oily I'll do a light dusting of MAC's Blot Powder in "Medium Dark".

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/30/2011 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Johelian

[For reference – I am of mixed Filipino/English descent, with light olive skin-tone that leans towards warm/yellow. Skin-type is Combination/Sensitive, with redness on my nose & cheeks. Pronounced pores. NC20-25]

In my hunt for the perfect foundation – i.e. one that matches my pale yellow skin without being too dark/pink, does not slide off my red cheeks and lasts for a full work-day with little-to-no touchups – I have tried almost every brand under the sun. Bobbi Brown, MAC, Estee Lauder, Lancome, Chanel, Maybelline, Revlon, Bourjois, UNE...as a matter of fact, you can read my reviews on many of these here!

I had read a lot of good reviews for Nars Sheer Glow; however it was one particular video on YouTube, in which a girl with acne showed just how effective the coverage of this product was, that caused me to actually go out and try the product. When I arrived at the store - makeupless so that I could get the best possible match - I was actually very red and sweaty from rushing through town; I didn’t expect the foundation to adhere for a moment to my bedraggled skin! However, when the MUA dabbed a little Sheer Glow onto my cheek, it actually obliterated the ruddiness of my flushed cheeks. I was super-impressed! I was matched to the shade “Deauville” by the MUA; this is a light neutral, which was the perfect colour intensity for me, but worked out too pink on my skin due to my redness. I worked out that Ceylan was probably my best colour match from the swatches on KarlaSugar (basically Deauville but without any pink), and bought it online since my local store didn’t hold the full range of 20 shades.

Ceylan was just the right colour for winter me – perhaps a little light, but nothing that bronzer didn’t fix. I do think that this foundation has one of the best colour ranges that I have ever seen, and I would be surprised if anyone struggled to find a good match. Coverage is medium to full, and the product is creamy and doesn’t dry too quickly during application. You only need a very small amount to blend out over the skin, and I did not notice any oxidisation during the day. Unfortunately the product doesn’t come with a pump, which is atrocious when the foundation costs so much money (approx. £29.50). There is no real discernable odour to the product.

Although I was impressed with the coverage (particularly on my redness), I was not so pleased with the lasting-power of this foundation; by the end of my 8-hour work day I had lost pretty much all of the product on my nose and chin, leaving powdery specks in my pores. The rest of my face was noticeably shiny and greasy-looking. I will be the first to admit that I do not blot or powder during the day, so if you don’t mind a bit of maintenance I’m sure you will be able to make this work for you. Unfortunately, after a few days of using this, I also broke out with spots quite badly. I will not be repurchasing this product.

The Good:
1) Absolutely fantastic, true-to-life range of shades (second to Bobbi Brown for the best colour match I have had).
2) Medium to full smooth coverage, even on rosacea and unevenly textured skin.
3) Does not oxidise.

The Bad:

1) More expensive than many other department store foundations.
2) No pump.
3) Did not last a full work day before fading away on my oilier zones.
4) Little to no oil control.
5) Caused my skin to break out.
6) No SPF (though that may be a good thing if you’re under flash photography!)

The Bottom Line
Fantastic colour range means there is a product for everyone; however this is unlikely to last a full day without real work, particularly if you have oily skin. I would not purchase again, as I feel there are better products for the money out there.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2011 9:38:00 PM More reviews by bblopez64

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My Shade for the Nars Sheer Glow foundation is Barcelona. This product made my skin look dewy and silky however I was expecting a bit more coverage. It did not cover some redness that I had in my cheeks until i applied a second layer. Usually one layer of foundation is enough for me. Even though i used more product than I usually would I still like the way it made my skin look.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/29/2011 2:00:00 AM More reviews by mdani

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Awful!!! Awful!!!! I have always had almost flawless perfect skin and this has made me break out horribly each time I have used it. This is very disappointing as I was very excited to try it out after reading about all the hype surrounding it. They really need to reformulate this as I have read countless other reviews where others have encountered the same problem. I love all the other products nars has and am really sad about this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2011 2:04:00 PM More reviews by Mashmash

A decent but annoying product as you will have to buy the pump separately. I use Fiji, which is a bit darker than my skin tone (yellow, shade between Mac NC15-20). The downside is that it accentuates dry patches, but that may be a good warning for me to moisturise more. It lasts all day when it's set with Chanel loose powder (20-clair), but not as good with Makeupforever microfinish HD powder.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/25/2011 4:25:00 PM More reviews by immasosexymx

I've always used my HG Relvon Colorstay foundation (normal/comination skin). The only thing I hate about Relvon Colorstay foundation is that it can feel a little heavy on my face. I wanted to try a foundation that is a little less heavy than my Relvon Colorstay. I did a little research and found that Nars Sheer Glow seemed to have a tons of good reviews + it's also light weight. Score! I gave in and brought Nars sheer Glow foundation at Sephora. When I first tried the foundation on my skin, I love how easily it can blend into my skin, it felt light weight on my skin..( I was matched with Fiji. Prefect shade for me!). However, in about a week into switching from my Relvon Colorstay foundation to Nars Sheer Glow foundation, I started to break out along my chin and cheeks ( Occasionally, I will break out during that time of month ). But I decided to keep using it because I love how light weight it was on my skin and the shade I was matched to was perfect! Weeks into using this foundation, I still get break outs and what's worse was that I started noticing my face would cake up ( I don't set my face with powder )! With this foundation breaking me up and caking up on me, I knew I had to returned it back to Sephora. :(

rated 2 of 5 on 11/24/2011 10:36:00 AM More reviews by nobelprizeforshopping

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

While this is a good colour match on me (Siberia), everything else disappoints. From the name I wasn't expecting a matte finish but I don't glow as much as sparkle. This stuff basically makes me look like I've been frosted. It's so frosty it's embarrassing. It also has rotten staying power - it slides off my nose within about an hour. And the lid to the bottle doesn't shut tight which means that I can't even swap it because it would leak in transit. I also object, given the already high price, at having to pay extra for a pump dispenser.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2011 10:19:00 AM More reviews by TinyForever

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wow this liquid is so runny to start off with and also does not keep an oil at bay whatsoever. Coverage is light to medium and sets to a dewy finish. The only good thing I can say about this is the great yellow toned shades it offers. I have since gone back to my ELDW which is my HG.