September 22, 2014 | 956 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2011 5:07:00 PM More reviews by Beelzebub666

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using the Clarisonic Mia for about 3 months now and my spot prone skin is noticeably improved.
In the first few weeks the Mia "lifted" a whole bunch of stuff from my chin and jaw line. You could almost feel the gunk being drawn out.
My skin still gets the odd spot, but it is much clearer and smoother than it ever was before, or at any stage since I was about 12 in fact.
I have not experienced the flaking or sensitive skin that others have described. The brush vibrates from the brush fibre base, rather than rotates and so just gently exfoliates the skin. I suppose it's a bit like shaking a muesli bowl and all the larger bits migrate to the surface. There's no need to press down hard onto the skin, but you need enough pressure to feel the tickley vibration and also get the speed of movement across the face about right, not too fast, not too slow.
I use a cream cleanser or face wash with the Mia, morning and evening. You need to add enough product so the brush glides smoothly. If it drags or catches you may not have added enough. Over use doesn't seem to be a problem because it is not scraping, just vibrating. If I follow up with a toner after cleansing, there is very little make up left to pick up. Just the bits I missed on first pass with the Mia if I'm in a hurry.
Expensive, but well worth it if you have spot prone skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2011 11:38:00 AM More reviews by snowshoe73

Love it, love it, love it! This was a pricey investment but the best I ever made. I've had it for over two years and it's never given me one problem. It helps me get off even the most stubborn makeup and has done a great job of minimizing my breakouts. One thing I've noticed is that I have to be careful what cleansers I use with it, as thicker ones tend to get under the brush head and need to be cleaned out.

You need to replace the brush-heads every 3-4 months at the tune of $25 a brush head, but it's still worth it. Also, you can order 2-packs from Sephora and Ulta and the cost per head is lower.

I never leave home without my Mia!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/29/2011 9:02:00 PM More reviews by freshtalovesmakeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Okay I have to vent. WHY IS MY SKIN SO COMPLICATED? I was on Accutane last year and my 4 year acne cleared up! Accutane was a blessing and curse. The pro was that my acne disappeared. The con is that I am now left with dryy and sometimes red skin. About 6 months ago I discovered the Olay brush as an alternative to the clarisonic. My thoughts? WOW. All my little bumps disappeared. My coworkers even commented on my flawless skin. My other skin secret, EVOO. Okay back to the main focus, the clarisonic. Last month, I decided to give this classic a try due to ALL of the raves on MUA and youtube. Also because I heard that a rotating brush on the olay causes micro tears. The first day I was astonished because my skin never looked better! A week later, I was purging really bad. I was aware that it can do that for a while so I waited it out. Now it had been a month and the PURGING NEVER ENDS! My brother even today commented on my acne! He even asked me what was going on! Gosh darn it CLARISONIC! Why didn't you work for me! I am tired of getting these ugly breakouts and decided today that I am not using it anymore. I tried it with the most gentlest cleansers with it. I carefully watch my diet and I only wear tinted moisturizer if I am even wearing makeup. I want my skin back. I can't believe I threw my olay brush away! I was SO confident with this one. Now I just have to find my receipt.. :( Bad experience. Sensitive, dry, acne-prone skin beware! Don't easily give into this hype as I did.

** EDIT 12-10-11
Okay so I returned my clarisonic two days after I wrote my review because I knew that it was the culprit for my irritated skin. Don't get me wrong, the Mia can work wonders, but for the right skin type. Using it everyday, not only tore up my fragile skin, it spread the bacteria around my face (NO WONDER I broke out everywhere-places that I RARELY ever breakout). So people I pleasee advise you to properly cleanse your brush everyday. If you have gentle skin, overexfoliating will only spread your acne. Try using it only once, or twice a week. You may not feel anything while using this, but BOY is it a powerful tool. I just wish I knew all this before I started sing it nightly. I am wayy to scared to repurchase it and use it again. I also found that when using this often, your skin gets dependent on it. That is another con. It has been a little over a week without the clarisonic and I am still suffering from the consequences. I stopped wearing makeup and I put raw honey on my clean face everynight for about an hour (I heard it soothes irritated skin). I am also drinking ALOTT of green tea to treat inflammation. I Just want my skin to go back to normal. Bad experience :(

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2011 3:42:00 PM More reviews by leilanader

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

OLAY PRO X BRUSH vs CLARISONIC. I recently discontinued the pill and consequently started suffering from serious acne breakouts. My derm put me topical antibiotic for night and Retin-A for day. This made things a bit better however pimples still emerged. But even before any of this happened, I had been eying the CLARISONIC for years, just couldnt justify the price especially that my skin was in perfect condition at the time. With my current skin condition, the clarisonic had to be given more serious thought...still 200$ is a lot and what if I don't like brushing my face or dont stick to it like most things. So I decided to go for the cheaper alternative and bought the OLAY PROX BRUSH. I used it once a day everyday for 2 weeks before noticing that my skin was pimple free. I couldn’t believe it, it works! Was I not cleansing my skin properly before? Anyways, I was so happy but then I had a thought…If a 30$ brush did this, what can the 200$ one do?! Off I went to Sephora and purchased the CLARISONIC MIA. I had 60days to try it and return it for a full refund, no questions asked and with so many people debating which brush is better I thought I would do an experiment. I used each brush once a day on one side of my face RELIGIOUSLY for 6 WEEKS.

The conclusion…Each brush had a different technology, the clarisonic has sonic vibrations so I had to do a rotating motion on my face while using it, the Olay brush rotates by itself so I had to just move it around in a straight movements (up, down, right, left). The MIA was bulkier to hold but I didn’t mind. I used both under the shower with no problem. Both left my skin feeling very clean, better than when I just rubbed my cleanser with my hands and both kept pimples at bay. Some people commented that the Clarisonic gives your skin better texture, so I carefully inspected each side of my face, both had reduced (a little) the size of my pores, had removed the majority of the blackheads on my nose and left my skin feeling equally soft. I did not see any difference in these two brushes in terms of efficacy. So after my little experiment was over, I returned the MIA to Sephora. I would have kept the Clarisonic had I bought the one that can be used on the body because that is an advantage over the Olay. But since this cannot be done with the MIA, I could not justify keeping it even if it felt fancier to hold and I liked that it had a charger instead of battery. I may purchase the Clarisonic that comes with a body brush in the future because I now know that electric brushes clean better than manual methods. It has now been 6 months since I started using the Olay and the battery is still going strong. Of note, I went on a trip for 10 days and forgot to bring my brush with me, and I got some pimples because of that. Which means this brush has to be used relatively daily. Not sure if the Clarisonic has longer lasting cleansing properties.

44 out of 46 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2011 1:46:00 AM More reviews by Angelamakeup

My mom was shopping for this brush and when the woman at the counter tried it on her I saw how much my mom liked it. So I decided to buy one for myself too. The first few days I broke out a bit but after that (and I've been using nightly for a month now) it has been wonderful. My skin always feel so soft and clean and I haven't broken out since the first week. It was totally worth the splurge for beautiful clean skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2011 8:12:00 PM More reviews by hip2Bsquare

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am so glad I got the Clarisonic Mia. I have always had uneven skintone, acne, and rough textured skin. The Mia does not completely eradicate acne, I still have small breakouts, but on the whole my skin looks so much better. My skin is much more smooth, fine lines are less prevalent, and my acne and redness have calmed. I did not have a huge purge, by the way; it just took longer to see the effects of the Mia to work. I am so much more confident now; it's absolutely worth the purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2011 12:02:00 PM More reviews by thedallasdiary

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love my Mia. At first I was hesitant because my skin was not used to such intensive exfoliation and it really rebelled. I began to get really dry skin and broke out a little more than usual. However, after you get past that initial purging period this thing will change your skin! I use it twice a day with the deep pore cleansing head. My skin looks flawless.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2011 10:23:00 AM More reviews by queenkimi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

OMG! I looooove this so much! I own the newer version, Mia2 in pink, and I don't want to be without this baby anymore! I don't have overly terrible skin with acne or anything, but being a teenager of 16 years I of course battle the hormones. I have extreme combination skin (moderately oily in the T-Zone and pretty dry in the cheek-area) with mostly clogged pores and blackheads around my nose and some breakouts on my forehead. I craved baby soft and clear skin so after deciding whether to buy this or the Classic version, I went for the Mia2 because it basically is the Classic, just smaller. After the first use I noticed a difference!! I felt that my skin was really clean and sooo soft!!!
I didn't go through that "skin purging" phase as a lot of other people did - which is a good thing! However, my skin went from average to absolutely amazing!!!
I used it for 3 months and after my dad telling me that doing so much to my skin is horrible & bla bla bla I stopped using it. Until now! And I'm happy I started using it again because you can really tell!!
If you can afford it I would really give this a try - it is worth the hype and money!!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2011 8:14:00 PM More reviews by missmegan07

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to love this product. I had saved my grade money up and after being tired of my skin looking bad, I finally splurged. I was so excited to get the skin everyone raved about, but after a few days of using it my skin began to purge. I had never had acne, just little annoying bumps on my face, but when using this I got more than ever! After two weeks, I gave up. A few weeks ago I picked it up again and tried using it. Nothing on my skin has changed, if anything, it's worse. I'm not sure if I'll return it or just keep it and hope that I'm just dealing with teen problems and it will maybe work one day. I'm disappointed in this product, especially with the price tag, but maybe it's not for everyone. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2011 6:54:00 AM More reviews by ybabe

I resisted the Clarisonic for a long time as I assumed it would irritate my sensitive skin. I don't do well with abrasive exfoliants, and I thought the Clarisonic would be similar. I was wrong!

After reading some positive reviews by people with sensitive skin, I decided to try it. My skin has been red and flaky lately and my rosacea has been getting a worse from the stress I've been under. I got the 'delicate' brush just to be absolutely sure the Clarisonic would be as gentle as possible.

After just a couple of uses, the dry flakiness had definitely improved, and I think the rosacea is a little better too. It feels gentle enough to use once a day, and my skin does not feel aggravated or stripped at all. Removes ALL my foundation without a trace! Best of all, I didn't get any of the 'purging' that some people have complained of. No break-outs! I've been using it for about a month now with no problems.

I'm very glad I decided to give this a try! The garnet color is beautiful ;)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No