April 16, 2014 | 1811 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Mineral Powder SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2007 10:49:00 AM More reviews by brassovaries

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'll try not to make this sound long winded, but some background is in order and I want this to be comprehensive. I have tried so many MMUs on the market in an attempt to find one that a) matched my NC-30 skin without turning orange/yellow/pink, b) didn't make me break out, and c) didn't make me look either old or like a greaseball, d) lasted more than an hour. For mineral MMU, I've tried BE, Everyday Minerals (semi matte and Intensive), Alima, Lily Lolo, JI, Lumiere, etc. NOTHING comes close to this in terms of coverage, finish, and wearability.

Color:
I first tried Rich Vanilla, and LOVED the gorgeous color it gave me. Unfortunately it was a color that wasn't mine :) Actually, it looked really good - as though I had a nice tan, but the rest of me didn't match. So I ordered Real Sand and at first was surprised at how pale it was, but after letting it sink in for 10 minutes it matched my skin EXACTLY. Yahooo! As I get some color in the summer I will be mixing in a bit of Rich Vanilla, which is darker (browner?), not yellower or beigier. In comparison, I used W-3 in Alima (which I used to counteract ruddiness and "force" my face to match my neck), Light/Med-beige in BE, and Warm Light in EM (which never matched no matter what formula/color I tried).

Coverage:
I always liked the way BE covered, I could dot it on a blemish with my finger and it covered beautifully. This is the same.....it covers better than any other MMU I've tried, even EM's Intensive formula, which just sat on top of my skin unevenly and caked. The coverage is so good that I don't need to compensate with a much yellower color (Alima W-3) to find a happy medium. It rocks as a concealer - I dot it on a blemish and it matches/covers beautifully.

Finish:
Beautiful, soft, flawless, satiny, even slightly dewy. Not overly dry or powdery (JI, Alima sometimes). It's almost as if it turns into liquid after a few minutes. Very nice subtle glow, similar to EM's semi-matte, but it actually stays on.

Wear: Out of habit, I had succumbed to touching up my MMU practically everytime I went to the bathroom. When wearing this, I was surprised upon looking at myself that I didn't need to! It looks like my bare skin, just without all the issues. Yes, there is some oil break through, but I deal with that by just going over my face with the bare kabuki, and it continues to look flawless.

Finally, my skin has issues. I have acne (2courses of Accutane only worked temporarily) and general unevenness. I use Tazorac and have the obligatory flakey, ruddy skin as a result. This is really the best I've tried.

Edit 7/4/07: LOVE this. Skin has cleared up completely, and I'm no longer using prescription retinoids. Coverage is flawless, and I've been getting tons of compliments on my skin. Now that it's summer I mix Real Sand/Rich Vanilla and the match is perfect. Sometimes wear it alone, sometimes over the Oil Free TM (nude) or Silk Creme Fdn (bamboo), or Stick fdn, depending on how much coverage I need. **love**!
Edit 12/21/11: About 3 years ago I realized MMU just doesn't work for my skin anymore (it can be somewhat "ageing"), and I've moved on to liquids. Nothing against this product, but as I have changed so does what I put on my face.

44 out of 46 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2007 4:14:00 AM More reviews by littlelamb

I came across this by chance in SpaceNK. I tried all the colours on the back of my hand and Rich Vanilla seemed to match the best - it was a nice yellow toned but quite fair colour that matched my fair asian skintone, and was one of the silkist mineral powders I've ever tested. My experience with Philosophy's told me that I should see it in a different light to see if it appears white/silvery, so I moved to another spot - but LM's looked true in different lights. I then put some moisturiser on a different patch on my hand, waited a couple of minutes, then tested Rich Vanilla again on top of that. It turned Orange! It looked awful - at least 3 shades darker than the original test patch! Maybe it was that particular moisturiser that made it turn? (it was Chantecaille's). Looking at all the generous reviews on MUA I'm a bit uncertain - I think I'll go back and test it with a different moisturiser, or makeup base (alas SpaceNK are not at all generous with samples, so cannot test at home with usual moisturiser).

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2007 2:59:00 AM More reviews by lovelyday

I am prone to heading straight for the makeup counter when I see an ad for a new makeup, but most of the time it doesn't live up to the hype that was promised. My intial plan was to just try it out and check it off my list of things to do. But once I tried it on, I was hestitant to say that I started to love it. I handed over my credit card and charged away, but still thinking I'll wait to see how I like it the next day.

The next morning, I put on my LM primer and buffed the mineral powder into my skin. Still didn't want to believe it, but my skin looked the BEST it's ever looked! Flawless, glowy...airbrushed without looking like you have a ton of powder on. The powder totally evened out my skin, but without the heaviness of foundation. Another major bonus is that my makeup looks as fresh at the end of an 8+ hour day...WOW! I was never able to achieve that with foundation or the tinted moisturizer!

This is my first time trying mineral makeup so I don't know how it compares to other brands, but its excellent for those who have used tinted moisturizers but want something that last longer and looks WAY better.

A million raves for Laura Mercier's mineral makeup!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2007 8:28:00 PM More reviews by joey_s

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love the colors, love the texture and finish, love the jar with an adjustable sifter and large, deep lid for mixing -- my favorite MMU ever! I have light-med olive/yellow toned skin (C25-C30) and I mix the Warm Sand and Rich Vanilla. Unlike the poster below, this is the only MMU that HAS NOT made my face itch!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2007 6:04:00 PM More reviews by trish69

IVE BEEN GOING CRAZY OF WHAT FOUNDATION IS GOOD FOR ME ESPECIALLY HAVING ACNE PRONE SKIN AND SCARS BUT THIS LAURA MERCIER MINERAL FOUNDATION GAVE ME A MIRACLE.. I CAN LOOK FLAWLESS WHILE HIDING MY FLAWS.. I LOVE THIS FOUNDATION AND I WILL BUY IT AGAIN...

YOU GUYS SHOULD REALLY TRY THIS IM WEARING THE RICH VANILLA, IT GIVES A HEALTHY GLOW FOR MAC IM NC30-35 I THINK..
YOU WONT BE SORRY AND YOUR MONEY WORTH EVERY PENNY TAKE MY WORD FOR IT :)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/17/2007 5:37:00 PM More reviews by Tinamarie1968

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

On its own, this doesn't cover the way that BE does and doesn't melt into the skin as well even with primer and moisturizer. However, I do love it dusted lightly over my foundation (Chanel ProLumiere in Radieux). It sets my makeup beautifully, leaves a nice finish and helps keep my makeup lasting all day. Works beautifully as a loose powder.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/16/2007 6:43:00 PM More reviews by tinksbell

I tried this foundation and just didn't like it....It felt like I had to put alot on to see some covereage (compared to BE where you only need a bit). Once this was on I had a mask face....like a geisha girl...The color was nice, but after a couple of hours (turned orange). Taking it back today..Sorry LM I will keep the brush but the makeup goes back.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2007 2:03:00 PM More reviews by Amst

Simply the best mineral foundation that I have tried. Beautiful, seamless, glowy, natural look. I use it on top of my tinted moisturizer, and it truly makes my skin look flawless.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2007 9:27:00 AM More reviews by clay2626

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried this but it just didnt work, the colors are very limited and Sand was just too beige for my NC20 skin so I took it back to the store. I seem to never be able to match my skin tone with any LM foundations which is quite frustrating, so I will stick with Chanel for a powder foundation for now. If you can find a color that matches your skin tone this is a nice alternate to liquid foundation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2007 12:20:00 AM More reviews by snochic469

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Well, all I can say is that I would pay $35 for the packaging alone!! Why did it take so long to figure this out?? =) As previous reviewers have mentioned, the jar has a sifter with a swivel top, that allows you to uncover the right amount of holes to get just the right amount of product. Powder doesn't fly everywhere when you open the jar, and it is MUCH more travel-friendly. Not only that, but you can actually use the lid of the container to swirl the minerals instead of an extra dish, which is what I previously had to do with Alima. They really put a lot of thought into the packaging, and it's making my life SO much easier!

On to the actual product itself, I absolutely love it. I am a C-3 (Jasmine) with Alima, and the Tendre Rose was a perfect match. This product is a lot less dry than Alima, and provides better coverage as well. The finish is excellent, luminous but NOT over-the-top like BE. This stuff is very natural. The MA that works for LM told me that there's a little trick if you find the finish too "glowy" for your liking. If you buff on a light dusting of the LM translucent powder first, it tones down the finish. I haven't actually tried this yet, but a previous reviewer commented on shine, and this is supposed to help. I highly recommend this stuff, and hey, even if you can't find a color match I would DEFINITELY keep the packaging and fill it with another MMU! =)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No