Clarisonic Pro Skincare Brush

4.3

bliss beauty trio

on 5/9/2009 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I owned the new version (3-speed w/body brush attachment) for about 3 weeks. I returned it today, though, because it only holds a charge for 4-5 days, it's large and heavy, and I did not notice a huge difference in my skin.

Granted, I only used it for a few weeks. While it's possible I was going through the "purge" phase — I am recovering from a bad breakout that appeared a few days ago, and I stopped using the brush when I broke out bc I didn't want to aggravate the acne, but the acne appeared in places on my face where I didn't use the brush (at the hairline, on my eyelids) but where I still used face soap. It's difficult for me to believe that a $225 brush is the only solution to clear skin. I mean, has no one in history had clear skin before this was invented? There are other solutions (e.g., diet, chemical peels...) that are cheaper and require less time and space.

The biggest disadvantage of this brush, however, was the battery life. Recharging every 4/5 days? No thanks! I already started to forget to recharge it after a few weeks. And the weight and size meant I had to be careful where I set it, lest it fall off the side of the tub or sink and onto the floor (or into the toilet! this did not happen, thank goodness).

If Clarisonic makes the brush smaller, lighter, and with a better battery life, I'll definitely buy this again. After all, aren't they the same company that makes the Sonicare toothbrush? The toothbrush is smaller and lighter, and has a better battery life, so why can't the Clarisonic brush? If they work on those aspects, they'll have a return customer. But until then, I'm going back to my MD Skincare alpha beta peel.

Background: skin is super sensitive, and for the last 9 months I've been struggling with acne rosacea. Did Retin-A religiously for 4 months - only made it worse. Metrogel did nada. The NP at my medi-spa gave me an IPL treatment which really helped with the red bumps and also recommended the Clarisonic and some La-Roche Posay products.
SO, I've only been using this for 10 days, Right now I think my skin is going through the "purge" phase still - some acne and blackheads flaring up BUT I'm thrilled to report that the scaly, dry patches are all gone and my skin is starting to glow again. It's already waaaay smoother and softer to the touch. And I can use less product because my skin absorbs everything so much better. Before, I couldn't leave the house without two layers of make-up and it's already so much better that I'm just using some GloMinerals or Benefit's powder foundation.
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking using this just 1x per day might be best for me. My biggest remaining problem is these red acne scars. I'm hoping that the Clarisonic gets rid of them over time...but I'd also love to hear what has worked for other people!
UPDATE 10/05/09: This is my holy grail, must have product. I cannot say enough good things about it. It will NOT matter what amazing products you use, if you don't use this one first, you're just not getting full benefit. Everyone compliments my gorgeous skin now. Someone recently compared it to Marcia Cross's porcelain beauty. It took a few months to get full benefit but now my skin is baby smooth, almost poreless and the acne scars have faded. I feel like I should get a commission for telling everyone I know about this product!!

on 5/3/2009 11:05:00 AM

UPDATE 9/13/2010

To people who hate this thing because it makes your skin freak and break out, you have to understand something... The brush makes your skin PURGE like crazy. Expect a purging period to kick in during the first 2-5 weeks of use, this varies upon how much gunk you have in your pores. Yes the purge sucks, yes your skin will be breaking out in places you never even had problems, but patience is a virtue. All the crap in your skin will come to the surface and puke all over your complexion. But after that period is over, voila your skin will magically clear and look smooth, porcelain, glowing, and you will not need to wear makeup! I strongly urge people to keep up with this and be patient because it will be worth it. My biggest regret is neglecting using it for a few months and having to go through the whole purge phase again. But religious use 2x a day, give it a month or so and you will be really pleased. It helps your serums and products absorb better and it definitely is the most effective and thorough way to take off makeup, if you don't believe me try cleansing normally with your hands and product, then run the clarisonic over your face and you'll see all the makeup that was left behind by your normal cleansing method. I also think the brush helps with circulation and feels like a massage which is an added bonus.
Hands down, the best skincare purchase next to my Tanda light system. The price is steep but since I'll have it forever the price is worth it. Also, the mini version is out now which is cheaper than the full size one, wish it was out when I originally bought this I definitely would've opted for the mini brush.

UPDATE 5/4/2009
I've been using this twice a day and OMG my cheeks hurt like hell, it feels rough and scaly, it's red in patches... My skin was aggravated but now it's MUCH worse. I'm going to make sure I use this on the low setting and I'm switching to only once a day with a very creamy cleanser (NOT the black african soap I was using which already stings my cheeks as it is). My skin might need to calm down and heal up before I start using this again. Will update.

5/3/2009
I was so excited to get this 3 days ago, 24 hours of initial charging was a bummer but I waited patiently. It's only been 2 days/nights of use but here's the results so far:

My skin was quite fragile and damaged as a result of over exfoliation (overdid the peels & aspirin masks) my skin was irritated, patches of scaly red skin, over sensitive, clogged pores, and a cystic pimple loaded with flaky dead skin.
The Clarisonic helped immensely with the scaliness and blasted away the dead skin around my pimple. It's definitely helping my blemish heal faster by speeding up skin turnover. My skin is softer, smoother, and more polished feeling. It did slightly irritate and sting my skin because it's currently so over sensitive. My moisturizer stung my face like hell after I used the Clarisonic partly because my skin is oversensitive but also bc my products are absorbing a lot better, my face drinks it in and there's no film or residue, only nice dewy feeling skin. Hasn't done too much for pore size or blackheads, they look a bit smoother but they haven't emptied out, but then again its only been 2 days.

I will update in a few weeks, I'm waiting to see if my skin purges. If this clears my blackheads and decongests my pores it'll be worth the money that I'll save on facials.

on 5/3/2009 1:56:00 AM

Unfortunately for me I didn't have a big "WOW" revelation over how great this product was. I had the three speed pro version and while it was SUPERB at removing any trace of makeup, it really didn't do anything for my skin. It actually made my one or two pimples worse because it uses the sonic technology to bring up all the dirt and oil. I guess if you can tolerate a good acne cleanser this would work to kill the bacteria but my skin is too sensitive for anything but a mild cleanser. It did nothing for my skin texture or tone besides giving it a deep clean. For the price and the effects it wasn't worth it for me to spend $200 on a makeup remover.

on 5/3/2009 1:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Okay so this was one of Oprah's favorite things and when I ever saw it in Essence Magazine as one of Taraj Henderson must have's in skin care(she has great skin) I decided to get it by any means necessary. I got my brush on ebay for $136.00 couldn’t spend $195.00 for it.

The version I have is the first model. Anyway I got it on 3/28/09 and after the first 3 weeks my skin was smooth, acne marks were fading I was so sold! I usually wash my face by hand first to "loosen" up the foundation and eye makeup then I use the brush as directed.

It should be mentioned that this cannot be used around the eyes because of the delicate skin that can become wrinkled and damaged due to the oscillation. Anyway after about 4 to 5 weeks though I started to get peeling just above the bridge of my nose. I reduced my usage to 1 time per day at night instead of twice a day. That switch was effective and the peeling subsided.

Then I started to get a couple zits here and there .The zits were a couple small whiteheads on the cheek area and hairline that I've never had before. It has been said that this happens to purge the skin of years of impurities. My skin is still smooth and black heads are definitely minimized. We'll see I'll come back with an update after about six months of using. Overall its a great brush for thorough makeup removal.

EDIT: I have officially been using the Clarisonic brush for 7 months now. I had some issues with dryness and peeling in the beginning and had to do some switching of facial soaps. I used to use the Murad Clarifying Cleanser for acne $26.00 6.75 FL. OZ and that was causing over stripping and white heads. I switched to Palmers Cocoa Butter soap and it works great and best of all its only $2.50!.

I lather up my face really well and I use my brush only once at night follwed by toner. Clarisonic is pretty superior at removing makeup and it also creates a clean base for product absorption. Also it provides evenly distributed exfoliation than cannot be duplicated with hand movements alone.

I recommend this brush. If you cannot afford it there is a knock off at Beauty Choice.com for $27.50 that is reviewed to comparably get the job done just as well.

on 5/1/2009 9:14:00 AM

Love the Clarisonic!!!! I've been using it for months now and it's made my skin look much better - no flakes! I've even had some other people comment on my skin.
But I do wash the brush with soap and dry it after each use - that might seem annoying but I have a feeling that it could spread bacteria if it's not washed.

on 4/30/2009 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

I read reviews all the time but I rarely write reviews until TODAY. I had to log in and tell everyone how pleased I am with the Clarisonic Brush! I've had oily, acne prone skin my entire life. I've tried every antibiotic, acne cream, lotion and potion, so I figured WTH?

I'm so happy I did! It's only been 2 weeks but my skin has transformed! The large pores on my cheeks are way less noticeable, the hormonal bumps on my jawline are finally diminishing. My skin looks and feels less greasy and it's SO smooth to the touch. I truly believe my acne creams and moisterizers are penetrating deeper and working as intended. Plus, I'm told it'll only get better with continued use. I cant wait! I highly recommend it.

UPDATE - It's been 4 weeks since I started using the brush and although my skin is still soft and the overall texture is improving, I'm purging like crazy. I have small bumps on my cheeks, around my ear area and under my chin. I haven't stopped using it because I'm hopeful that this will subside soon. I just hope I can hang in there. I really want this to work.

on 4/30/2009 3:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

EDIT:I've had this for about a year and a half. IT still rocks, and when I haven't used it for a week, my oil production kicks up. Still excellent in preventing that monthly smattering of the jawline.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: IMO, a month is not enough to judge it-- too many variables (usually cycle-related). I incorporated the Clarisonic into my regular routine, discounted changes I'd normally experience (like mid-month clearing up), and this is what happened: Oiliness in t-zone down about 50% (I blot about half as much during the day). Blackheads all but gone (and I know b/c I get extractions every month and they went waaaay faster last time). Acne in t zone, chin, and middle of cheeks gone (save for the predictable monthly ones). Face seems softer, smoother. This did not keep my hormonal acne from forming. It still comes on like clockwork, but the scarring is diminishing faster.

The best routine for me has been to use this twice a day, for 2 minutes, on low power. It was a pain to toggle through the settings, but this seems to be the best fit. I use all 3 brush heads, rotating them depending on how sensitive my skin is that day.

In addition, a creamy, mild cleanser works best. If I use my Medi-Bac on it two days in a row, I am rewarded with peeling reminiscent of a beach house exterior.

I clean my brushes with mild soap and witch hazel to disinfect (2xs a week).

And, of course, Do Not expect all your skin issues to be solved with a brush, even if it is the equivilant of a car payment (yikes!) Yes, the price is a lot for many of us, but even that money won't change your skin's chemisty, its response to hormones and environmental changes, etc. It can get you going on the right path, though, if congestion is one of your main issues. And if that's the case, this will be a great tool to slowly change and maintain your skin's health and clarity.

At first I was skeptical dishing out almost $300 for a face brush but after a month I am in love!

The only thing I don't like about it is that the directions it comes with isn't very clear.

on 4/29/2009 11:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Really great for all skin types. It does, however, require you to find the best facial cleanser for your skin. I use CeraVe foaming cleanser and I have used philosophy in the past. Glycolic cleansers also work really well with this. It helps topical serums and retinols work much better and faster. I really recommend it to people with congested skin that is unphased by regular exfoliation/facial/cleansing. Expensive, but completely worth every penny.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools