August 1, 2014 | 1233 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2006 4:22:00 AM More reviews by Lividity

On me, this scent starts out really, really strong and very "old lady" and musky.
As it eventually sinks into my skin, the scent steadily gets lighter, and sweeter and I actually find myself putting my wrist up to my nose to enjoy it.
Before it fades completely, it morphs into deliciously sweet, powdery scent that isn't too overwhelming, and is quite pleasing to the nose.

I will say that this is a scent that you DEFINITELY want to try out on yourself before you buy it, because it can smell pretty sour on some people. Let it set on the skin for awhile, and see how it reacts with your chemistry. If it works, then I suggest you pick up a bottle for yourself.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2006 1:18:00 AM More reviews by carlyann23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really want to love this perfume, but I can't. It smells a little like baby powder on me, which isn't necessarily bad, but I could just put on some baby powder if I wanted that. The scent is very different to me, and I am giving it a chance. However I do know that my significant other absolutely detests the scent. He stepped into the bathroom a few minutes after I put some on and actually wrinkled his nose in disgust. I don't think I would repurchase this any time soon, but maybe I would again someday. For now I am partial to Coco Mademoiselle.

Edit: Nope, can't do it. I'll come back to it years from now to see if I feel differently.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2006 1:52:00 AM More reviews by acberger

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Gorgeous, sexy, complex, timeless...Chanel No.5 is genius in a bottle. This is not a fragrance for little girls, and if you think it smells like your grandmother, well, No.5 may well be one of the reasons she IS a grandmother in the first place. capisce?

rated 2 of 5 on 12/2/2006 4:27:00 PM More reviews by niamhoo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I dont get how this fragrance is so famous,well i guess it is Chanel but on me this does smells horrible!!
I guess it might smell better on other people but it just smells really old musky like a granny's attic!!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2006 1:29:00 PM More reviews by Mijon444

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Doesn't work on me. I don't HATE it, but it just smells like baby powder on me. My hubby says it reminds him of "old ladies", so I definitely won't be repurchasing. Not the end all be all I thought it might be.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2006 9:20:00 PM More reviews by fermidiracgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this in the gift set, with the shower gel, lotion, and 1.7 oz EDP. I tried it on in macys today, and was amazed at how GOOD it smelled on me. Im usually a fan of fruity/citrusy/light floral fragrances, and not so much the powdery or "older" types (Im only 25). I was expecting this to turn into a metallic, old-lady-with-lots-of-cats sort of smell, but it didnt. It dried down to a sweet and fresh powdery smell on me! Its like what you would expect a beautiful young woman to be wearing to church - a clean, respectable, memorable smell. My mom wants so much to love this perfume, but it turns sour on her, but for some reason it turns sweet on me. Whereas, Coco Mademoiselle smells awfully sour on me, but sweet on her. Very strange how that works. Anyway, Im very glad I bought this, its very sophisticated and elegant smelling, and Im glad it works on my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/20/2006 8:11:00 PM More reviews by Danielle82

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Just like almost any other woman, I WANT to love Chanel No. 5. I just...don't. On me, it doesn't work I guess. I've never liked the smell. Too many times I've walked past a perfume counter or aisle, gave it a whiff, and had to put it back, grimacing. Even on me, after I've let the fragrance set in, it doesn't smell good. Now Coco Chanel? That's a whole different story. Now THAT fragrance is what perfume should smell like. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2006 5:14:00 PM More reviews by SexyLittleMe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I love the idea of wearing No. 5, but it refuses to let me. It is an icon, and like Chanel's suits, black dresses, and quilted bags, it should work on anyone, but it doesn't. I get a pounding headache from it, I suppose because it isn't all natural. If I get a magazine with a sample in it I will sniff it until I start thinking about trying it again, then before I get a chance it starts smelling like bug spray...

rated 2 of 5 on 11/17/2006 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Bito

When i first tried this in the mall,it smelled bad like Incense ,but after a while it really transformed and became like a nice, powdery smell on my skin,however no one from my family liked it,and i don't think it is worthy of the price at all since i didn't like it that much, there are much more beautiful fragrances out there..

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2006 1:28:00 AM More reviews by mnguyen34

My husband gave me this perfume for our fifth anniversary. Talk about the quintessential anniversary gift! My husband could hardly contain his excitement as he watched me open my gifts. :) I opened the box with the perfume first and was happy when I saw what it was. I have tried (and loved!) many of Chanel's other fragrances in my lifetime, but for some reason I did not remember ever trying Chanel No. 5. I put a little on my neck and invited my husband to come closer and smell. He took one whiff and wrinkled his nose in distaste. I've read some of the other reviews for this perfume and the positive ones make it sound absolutely lovely. However, this was not the case for me. It smelled like baby powder mixed with musty lavender. A very strange and disgusting combination - but it will probably smell completely different (and hopefully more pleasant!) on someone else. Worse is that after I had opened my other presents, my husband noticed a rash developing on my neck from the perfume! I broke out in hives and spent the rest of the night fighting the urge to scratch and trying to convince my husband not to feel bad (how did he know I was allergic to Chanel No. 5?). Needless to say, my darling husband felt so bad that he returned the perfume the next day and made a trip to Tiffany's! So I may not be able to wear (or would want to wear) Chanel No. 5, but at least I have a wonderful husband in exchange!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No