November 23, 2014 | 1124 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2006 5:08:00 PM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't think any perfume is old lady and would never use those words as descriptors. I have loved No.5 Cologne since the sixth grade. It surrounds me in a cloud of serenity and well being.Pure parfum is unremarkable on my skin. EdP, is thick, linear and annoys me when I wear it.. Vintage cologne is heavenly but so hard to find. Vintage (from the 1970s and earlier) EdT is DEAD sexy. Thankfully, I still have my 1970's refillable bottle. Clean and sexy is how my husband describes it. After 35 years of knowing and loving this fragrance I am absolutely certain that if you love No.5 and can't wear it, try a different formulation. If the fragrances don't work, try the bath and body line. I assure you, there is a No.5 for everyone.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2006 1:21:00 PM More reviews by ontheborder

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Classic. And you don't even need to get a thesaurus and write a "treatise" to say so.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2006 11:08:00 AM More reviews by williams_dd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ugh, I don't understand the previous few reviews who call this a "funeral home" scent. This is such a beautiful perfume, & for some unknown reason, it gets a bad rep for smelling like "old lady". Granted, it's not a perfume for somebody who likes to smell light, or fruity - it's not an in your face scent, it's subtle & heavy & that's why I love it. Classic, clean, deep and sexy - I love the way I feel when i put this on & I love not smelling like every other young woman my age. I will continue to buy this for years to come.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/22/2006 3:49:00 AM More reviews by wally7062

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Blegh. I have never been in a funeral home, but if I had, I can imagine it would have smelled like THIS. No joke. I agree with the below posters who wanted to love it because, after all, it's Chanel No. 5! How completely classy would it be to wear it? But alas, it smells like dead people. Sorry! Not for me. Maybe in fifty years.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/22/2006 3:45:00 AM More reviews by vain_emily

I dearly wanted to like this. Wouldn't it be great if I could say "Oh yes, I wear Chanel No. 5"?

But alas, it smells kind of old lady, generic. I would never wear it, I don't want to smell like in thta gross floral funeral-homey kind of way. Although, and I don't want to sound dumb here but, I would (and did) buy the full 3.4 oz bottle just to have it on my dresser. It looks so sophisticated there, realand if anyone asks, I can at least pretend like I occassionally wear it. It's too bad though, I really had high hopes for this one. Perhaps it was relevant a long time ago and for a different type of woman of a different age, but I couldn't see any under the age of 70 wearing this today.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/22/2006 3:32:00 AM More reviews by Tartini

Too harsh to my nose (must be the aldehydes). Also smells too mature for me (I'm in my early 20s). Such a classic scent, and it must work on some, but to me, it's a chemical mess...

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2006 10:50:00 PM More reviews by missnat

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I so want to like this because there is part of this fragrance that appeals to me, but for the most part, it smells like a baby's pordered butt and an old lady. Foul.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2006 4:22:00 AM More reviews by Lividity

On me, this scent starts out really, really strong and very "old lady" and musky.
As it eventually sinks into my skin, the scent steadily gets lighter, and sweeter and I actually find myself putting my wrist up to my nose to enjoy it.
Before it fades completely, it morphs into deliciously sweet, powdery scent that isn't too overwhelming, and is quite pleasing to the nose.

I will say that this is a scent that you DEFINITELY want to try out on yourself before you buy it, because it can smell pretty sour on some people. Let it set on the skin for awhile, and see how it reacts with your chemistry. If it works, then I suggest you pick up a bottle for yourself.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2006 1:18:00 AM More reviews by carlyann23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really want to love this perfume, but I can't. It smells a little like baby powder on me, which isn't necessarily bad, but I could just put on some baby powder if I wanted that. The scent is very different to me, and I am giving it a chance. However I do know that my significant other absolutely detests the scent. He stepped into the bathroom a few minutes after I put some on and actually wrinkled his nose in disgust. I don't think I would repurchase this any time soon, but maybe I would again someday. For now I am partial to Coco Mademoiselle.

Edit: Nope, can't do it. I'll come back to it years from now to see if I feel differently.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2006 1:52:00 AM More reviews by acberger

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Gorgeous, sexy, complex, timeless...Chanel No.5 is genius in a bottle. This is not a fragrance for little girls, and if you think it smells like your grandmother, well, No.5 may well be one of the reasons she IS a grandmother in the first place. capisce?