July 24, 2014 | 1772 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2011 3:42:00 PM More reviews by leilanader

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

OLAY PRO X BRUSH vs CLARISONIC. I recently discontinued the pill and consequently started suffering from serious acne breakouts. My derm put me topical antibiotic for night and Retin-A for day. This made things a bit better however pimples still emerged. But even before any of this happened, I had been eying the CLARISONIC for years, just couldnt justify the price especially that my skin was in perfect condition at the time. With my current skin condition, the clarisonic had to be given more serious thought...still 200$ is a lot and what if I don't like brushing my face or dont stick to it like most things. So I decided to go for the cheaper alternative and bought the OLAY PROX BRUSH. I used it once a day everyday for 2 weeks before noticing that my skin was pimple free. I couldn’t believe it, it works! Was I not cleansing my skin properly before? Anyways, I was so happy but then I had a thought…If a 30$ brush did this, what can the 200$ one do?! Off I went to Sephora and purchased the CLARISONIC MIA. I had 60days to try it and return it for a full refund, no questions asked and with so many people debating which brush is better I thought I would do an experiment. I used each brush once a day on one side of my face RELIGIOUSLY for 6 WEEKS.

The conclusion…Each brush had a different technology, the clarisonic has sonic vibrations so I had to do a rotating motion on my face while using it, the Olay brush rotates by itself so I had to just move it around in a straight movements (up, down, right, left). The MIA was bulkier to hold but I didn’t mind. I used both under the shower with no problem. Both left my skin feeling very clean, better than when I just rubbed my cleanser with my hands and both kept pimples at bay. Some people commented that the Clarisonic gives your skin better texture, so I carefully inspected each side of my face, both had reduced (a little) the size of my pores, had removed the majority of the blackheads on my nose and left my skin feeling equally soft. I did not see any difference in these two brushes in terms of efficacy. So after my little experiment was over, I returned the MIA to Sephora. I would have kept the Clarisonic had I bought the one that can be used on the body because that is an advantage over the Olay. But since this cannot be done with the MIA, I could not justify keeping it even if it felt fancier to hold and I liked that it had a charger instead of battery. I may purchase the Clarisonic that comes with a body brush in the future because I now know that electric brushes clean better than manual methods. It has now been 6 months since I started using the Olay and the battery is still going strong. Of note, I went on a trip for 10 days and forgot to bring my brush with me, and I got some pimples because of that. Which means this brush has to be used relatively daily. Not sure if the Clarisonic has longer lasting cleansing properties.

43 out of 45 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2011 1:46:00 AM More reviews by Angelamakeup

My mom was shopping for this brush and when the woman at the counter tried it on her I saw how much my mom liked it. So I decided to buy one for myself too. The first few days I broke out a bit but after that (and I've been using nightly for a month now) it has been wonderful. My skin always feel so soft and clean and I haven't broken out since the first week. It was totally worth the splurge for beautiful clean skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2011 8:12:00 PM More reviews by hip2Bsquare

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am so glad I got the Clarisonic Mia. I have always had uneven skintone, acne, and rough textured skin. The Mia does not completely eradicate acne, I still have small breakouts, but on the whole my skin looks so much better. My skin is much more smooth, fine lines are less prevalent, and my acne and redness have calmed. I did not have a huge purge, by the way; it just took longer to see the effects of the Mia to work. I am so much more confident now; it's absolutely worth the purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2011 12:02:00 PM More reviews by thedallasdiary

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love my Mia. At first I was hesitant because my skin was not used to such intensive exfoliation and it really rebelled. I began to get really dry skin and broke out a little more than usual. However, after you get past that initial purging period this thing will change your skin! I use it twice a day with the deep pore cleansing head. My skin looks flawless.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2011 10:23:00 AM More reviews by queenkimi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

OMG! I looooove this so much! I own the newer version, Mia2 in pink, and I don't want to be without this baby anymore! I don't have overly terrible skin with acne or anything, but being a teenager of 16 years I of course battle the hormones. I have extreme combination skin (moderately oily in the T-Zone and pretty dry in the cheek-area) with mostly clogged pores and blackheads around my nose and some breakouts on my forehead. I craved baby soft and clear skin so after deciding whether to buy this or the Classic version, I went for the Mia2 because it basically is the Classic, just smaller. After the first use I noticed a difference!! I felt that my skin was really clean and sooo soft!!!
I didn't go through that "skin purging" phase as a lot of other people did - which is a good thing! However, my skin went from average to absolutely amazing!!!
I used it for 3 months and after my dad telling me that doing so much to my skin is horrible & bla bla bla I stopped using it. Until now! And I'm happy I started using it again because you can really tell!!
If you can afford it I would really give this a try - it is worth the hype and money!!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2011 8:14:00 PM More reviews by missmegan07

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to love this product. I had saved my grade money up and after being tired of my skin looking bad, I finally splurged. I was so excited to get the skin everyone raved about, but after a few days of using it my skin began to purge. I had never had acne, just little annoying bumps on my face, but when using this I got more than ever! After two weeks, I gave up. A few weeks ago I picked it up again and tried using it. Nothing on my skin has changed, if anything, it's worse. I'm not sure if I'll return it or just keep it and hope that I'm just dealing with teen problems and it will maybe work one day. I'm disappointed in this product, especially with the price tag, but maybe it's not for everyone. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2011 6:54:00 AM More reviews by ybabe

I resisted the Clarisonic for a long time as I assumed it would irritate my sensitive skin. I don't do well with abrasive exfoliants, and I thought the Clarisonic would be similar. I was wrong!

After reading some positive reviews by people with sensitive skin, I decided to try it. My skin has been red and flaky lately and my rosacea has been getting a worse from the stress I've been under. I got the 'delicate' brush just to be absolutely sure the Clarisonic would be as gentle as possible.

After just a couple of uses, the dry flakiness had definitely improved, and I think the rosacea is a little better too. It feels gentle enough to use once a day, and my skin does not feel aggravated or stripped at all. Removes ALL my foundation without a trace! Best of all, I didn't get any of the 'purging' that some people have complained of. No break-outs! I've been using it for about a month now with no problems.

I'm very glad I decided to give this a try! The garnet color is beautiful ;)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/14/2011 10:37:00 PM More reviews by sweetliz312

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

unfortunately i'm one of the few that this did not work for. my skin turned red and blotchy and i broke out very badly, i know this is part of the "purging" process...but the pimples just kept coming.... i don't wear any foundation on my face period, just moisturizer with sunscreen so i didn't think i had to purge for very long....my face became very irritated and dry, i stopped using this for 3 days and my skin is starting to go back to normal. luckily Bloomingdales has a good return policy... i would say that if you have VERY sensitive skin like i do to try and purchase from a store that is willing to give you your money back. its too expensive to just sit up in your closet.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2011 3:38:00 PM More reviews by hellothere45

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Simply said it's changed my skin forever. I hated the price, but after only about 2 days of use I'll never go back. I get so many compliments on my skin now. My pores are smaller, texture even, skin tone even. It's a miracle product.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2011 3:26:00 PM More reviews by BohemianMartini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Update 10/18/12: So I've had this a year. I still love it and it is still working perfectly (knock on wood). Hands down - it is still the best purchase I've made for my face. The expensive brushes are the only downside - but to have my skin look and feel as nice as it does, it's completely worth it. I've found the deep pore brush to be what my skin likes. The sensitive and regular both irritated my skin. I used it more frequently when it was purchased - but I've found 3 times a week to be the perfect frequency for my skin. Other than my hormonal break-outs, this thing has really kept my skin in check. And I've noticed old acne scars fading because of the exfoliation. Still HG. =)

I know this is an amazingly long review (for me the longest to date - but because of the cost and knowing the research most of us go through before committing - I felt it only appropriate. Thanks! =)

HG status for me! I only wish I had learned about this product ten years ago! I had heard about this product in magazines, on various boards and reviews. I, being of sound mind and body, had serious reservations about spending 130 bucks on what could very well end up being a glorified brush that sat in my pile of unused beauty products. I milled over the purchase for a good few months. I happened to mention it in passing to my boss - a super high end lady who knows her products - and she said she swore by it. (Though I'm pretty sure she has the pro - cause that's how this chick rolls.) Well that's all it took for me. I had a couple of returns to make at Sephora, so I took my credit and purchased the Mia. It was meant to be - I mean the returns came out to the penny on my purchase of the Mia - so for me, I considered it a freebie. (Yeah, I know it wasn't really free but it makes me feel better.) I picked up the Mia set that contained some various products (have yet to try them) and the deep pore brush head for $119 in white.

As luck would have it - within 24 hours of my purchase - I came down with the flu. There was no way I was going to try the Mia until I got better. About a week later, when I finally felt better I decided to try her out. My face looked awful. Over the week of being sick, I completely abandoned my normal routine. And my face showed it. I looked like hell warmed over - my mild rosacea was in overdrive from fever - I was dry and oily in all the usual places and broken out. Perfect! I figured if this thing could bring my face back - it must be the real deal. I tried it out in the shower using my TJ's Tea Tree Oil Pure Veggie Soap (all I ever use - all over). I slathered my face, neck and the very top of my chest. (Probably more skin than the Mia was meant for - but like all my stuff - you earn your keep!) It took about three minutes to get everything washed. It did tickle my nose at first, but you get used to it. The brushes don't move - but vibrate. {Am I the only one who thinks Clarisonic should really branch into other businesses considering they already have the technology ;) } I took special care on my cheeks and nose. I could see where it would be easy to go crazy. When I got out of the shower and dried off my face - I noticed all my dry flakes were completely gone. My skin had a softness to it that it's only had when I've used my Embryolisse creme. I was so excited. My face had a healthy glow. I called over my SO to feel my face. He commented on how soft my skin was. Nice! The best part - it didn't aggravate my rosacea at all! I put on my usual cream - Olay Micro-Sculpting - and it sunk in. It didn't just sit on the top of my skin like it normally would.

Over a two week period - I didn't notice a huge purge period. What purging I did have were black heads - on my chin and nose especially . I remember putting my moisturizer on and when I applied it to my chin, feeling two or three sand-like granules in my hand. (From resting the phone on my shoulder/chin when talking to clients on the phone for hours at a time.) I've also noticed that my skin looks noticeably brighter, healthier and much more clear. I suffer from large pores on my nose, and they definitely look smaller than they ever have. My rosacea has all but gone. In all honesty, my skin has never looked better or felt better.

On to the cons - and there are a few. The battery life is supposed to be 20 minutes. It feels more like ten to me. I've never timed it - and I should. Just be prepared to have it on the charger every few days. I was warned by the SA to only charge it when the battery is dead. And the brush heads - be prepared to thoroughly rinse out the brush heads and the unit itself after each use. And do not cap it wet! I did and walked away - came back the next day and I noticed it started to get a funk. I had to thoroughly soak everything in peroxide before using it again. It was fine after but this isn't a no-maintenance product. My routine with it after each use is to take the brush head apart and rinse each piece separately along with the unit and hand drying the pieces and leaving them to air dry on my counter. It takes all of two minutes but still. And as some of the other reviewers have mentioned - if you stop using it for a short period of time - you will notice a change in your skin. My SO and I have been bouncing the flu between us - so I didn't use the Mia for a few days. And I could definitely tell in the texture and look of my skin. My final verdict - I love it! The only thing I'm wondering now is if I should have bitten the bullet and gotten the Plus because I'm so impressed with the Mia! Highly, highly recommend! And like the SA at Sephora said - try it for a month - if you don't like it, bring it back (with a wink and smile).

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No