August 21, 2014 | 1039 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Acne Wash

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2008 3:10:00 AM More reviews by justfornow

I'm on my second bottle. This stuff is just...WOW. It may be slightly drying but it has made miracles for me..even though it took a while to realize. Well I purchased this cleanser last year and took it with me overseas to the hottest place in the world-literally. And I had hardly a single breakout there while using this stuff for a month. Maybe just 2 pimples..which is crazy considering I'm no stranger to huge breakouts. And naturally you would tend to breakout in high, humid temperatures. I honestly owe it to this stuff. Upon returning to Canada I stopped using this cleanser and...this school year experienced some pretty horrible breakouts. So I decided to go back to something simple: Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash, and once again my skin is doing better than ever before.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/23/2008 9:58:00 PM More reviews by icytiger8888

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

UGH, I really wasn't a fan of this cleanser when I was using it.
It did an OKAY job, but nothing great, I never noticed a DECREASE...or INCREASE of the amount of pimples/breakouts that I had, although now that I think about it, some of the worse break outs and other skin problems I got were while I was using this product....

personally, it did nothing for me. and I wont be buying it again.

and someone stated that the bottle lasts up to 6 monthes....mine lasted me about a month and a half...2 at the most.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2008 1:56:00 PM More reviews by TropicalyFrozen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

It did a really good job cleaning my face and did not break me out, but it dried out my face really bad. My skin was really dry after using this just a couple times and I live in a very humid area. It was a awesome facial cleanser but just to drying for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/13/2008 10:18:00 AM More reviews by sumansaran

A few months ago, I decided I finally needed to settle down with a good, classic, simple-formula cleanser. Up until recently, I would buy whatever I found on sale or just something that was different but basic enough. I don't use cleanser religiously, but I wanted something that would help with my mild acne and whiteheads. I bought this because Neutrogena is a trusted brand, the gel formula seemed simple enough, and because it has salicylic acid. I thought this would help with my frequent breakouts and blemishes. For a while it thought it was doing the job, but once I started using some acne medication, I realized how drying and irritating it can actually be. Even though its not a strong formula, I just don't think any facial products should have harsh ingredients, including any kind of "acid," in them. The only cleanser I've used whose salicylic acid content wasn't bothersome is the Burt's Bee's Peach and Willowbark Scrub, which naturally has it from willowbark. Since I stopped using the Neutrogena and started experimenting with Cetaphil, Dessert Essences Tea Tree Oil cleanser, and Avalon Revitalizing cleanser, and the Burt's Bees scrub (don't worry, I don't use them ALL, and definitely regularly - just in comparison they have given better results overall) in combination with my acne medication, my skin has already improved a lot. I agree with someone else's statement here that this is too harsh even for people with combination skin, especially if you have to use other prescribed products that already treating your skin with harsher ingredients. I can only imagine what cleansers with a higher percentage of salicylic acid or other ingredients do. I would stick with natural, organic cleansers and leave the heavy-duty treatments to prescribed creams or other drugstore brands. Cleansers should just clean and soothe.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2008 9:43:00 AM More reviews by orangeinsanity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My face felt really tight and dry after using this.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2008 9:13:00 AM More reviews by juliet92

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i used to use this for a while and i liked it, in time it managed to control my acne a bit and gave me a squeaky clean feel! but now i'm using a cleanser given to me by my dermatologist, but otherwise i would buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2008 8:48:00 PM More reviews by CraxFactor

This was too drying in my teens, it makes your skin squeaky clean and I was still oily as hell. However now I use it twice a day. Which is beyond disgusting because really this stuff is very, very harsh. I've been on retinoids and although I know it's a terrible idea to chemically blast my face like this, it seems to work. Oh but I did learn to wash first and rinse, then use a washcloth to ex-foliate. Otherwise your skin dries like crazy; this peels the loose stuff off, for the most part. However if you scrub WITH the soap, you will be able to see the blood pulsing through your translucent skin, and that's no good. Rinse then scrub. I use the Walgreens brand.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/27/2008 6:49:00 PM More reviews by campasianspice

i barely had acne as a teen but freaked out and decided to buy this because of all the advertising. i am a firm believer that this causes breakouts rather than treating them. i knew other friends whose conditions worsened the longer they used Neutrogena, so I stopped. i don't understand how this is a best-seller and why store-brands are replicating the formula.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2008 2:52:00 AM More reviews by urbankiwiii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

BEST CLEANSER EVER

pros: really keeps my acne at bay, good at preventing acne outbreaks, simple to use, not harsh on my skin, makes my skin soo smooth and clean, does not overdry my skin at all but gets ride of all the oil and shininess in the T zone, 1 bottle lasts forever- at least 6 months, when used 2x daily

cons: the weird orange color, the pump bottle is bad for traveling

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2008 4:32:00 PM More reviews by vandael

I've been using this acne wash for the last six years. I started when I was 16 and got my first pimple. Freaking out, I remembered a friend recommended it to clear up her skin. So I grabbed a bottle and used the wash everyday for the next four years. It really helped tame my acne with its built in salicylic acid medication, but as the years progressed I realized it became too drying for me. The skin naturally changes oil production and reception of medications, so in turn I had to change my routine. Since then I have been using Cetaphil, one of the most basic cleansers available in the market. My skin was being ravaged by all the overtreatment of acne medications, so I needed to take a step back. I still work Neutrogena's Acne Wash into my routine, but only once a week for the salicylic acid. It has worked wonders for my skin and I'll continue using it for as long as my skin allows.