September 1, 2014 | 1951 users online

Lotions/ Creams - L'Occitane - 20% Shea Butter Hand Cream

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2005 7:19:00 AM More reviews by anna_hstad

I bought the big tube of this in Paris a few months back after trying a sample...I love it! Love the scent, the feel of it. My hands get a bit dry, not too much, in the winter time and this works great.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2005 2:03:00 PM More reviews by happygirl1

I just bought a small travel-sized tube of this from Sephora for $8. I thought even if it wasn't the greatest, I could still keep it in my purse and eventually use it up. Well, I do like it! The texture is nice, rich, kind of thick, but still spreads quite easily. It isn't sticky, greasy, or filmy at all. The initial scent is very feminine and soft, but after it has been on for awhile, I can smell the actual *butter*, which is not the greatest scent in the world to me, but is still tolerable enough to continue using. :-) I would give this a higher rating if it moisturized my hands very well, but it's just a decent moisturizer. I have very dry hands, especially since I'm a compulsive hand-washer and use Purell anti-bacterial gel about 100x a day. The only thing that has actually cured my dry hands in less than 24 hours, is Curel original lotion. I thought this would blow Curel out of the water, but it hasn't yet. Granted, I do use a tiny amount, so I'll use more and update again later if the results are better. I will say that it does hold up after 1-2 hand washings by keeping my hands soft. Overall, it's a good hand cream and the packaging is just lovely! It's a huge reason as to why I bought it. :-) I like the old-fashioned look of the tin tube (especially the small travel sized one that I bought).

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2005 8:45:00 AM More reviews by Marils

Works better than most but still not moisturising enough as my hands are generally quite dry. You need quite a bit of it for it to work thoroughly but it does absorb very well. Wish the smell was a bit more exciting though. The packaging also annoys me a bit. The silver tube looks nice but isn't very practical and the cap/lid isn't very user friendly. But it's still one of the better hand creams on the market.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2005 10:23:00 AM More reviews by 1975Crumpet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I agree with the "you didn't really pay that for a hand cream did you?" philosophy when it comes to this product but the way I look at it is this: your hands show your age and I want to stay as young looking as possible for as long as possible so my hands are a priority to me and L'Occitane take care of this area completely. This cream is thick, it's VERY thick and when I first had a sample I thought it would be far too rich and would never disappear into my hands but I was wrong, it absorbs within minutes, leaving my hands so soft and nourished, I've tried loads of hand creams and the only other one I like as much as this is The Body Shop Almond Hand Rescue, the scent of this cream is pleasant but not earth shattering, the shea butter is wonderful for an intensive conditioning, I use this with the L'Occitane hand scrub for a weekly treatment. The only thing I don't like is the tube, it looks stylish but unfortunately the label falls off and crumples the more you use it, also the metal tube gets battered very easily making it unsightly, but worst of all the lid is so bloody sharp it nearly cuts my hand every time I open it!, I wish they'd get rid of the hexagonal edges, whoever thought plastic could be so sharp?!, I love it but stick it in a tin and I'd love it more.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2005 9:46:00 PM More reviews by ms325i

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The only thing about this hand cream is that people look at me like I am insane when I tell them how much I pay for it. Whenever I am asked for lotion and I pull this out my purse, every single person I have let use it loves it..yet mention the price and they balk at the notion of $30.00 for hand lotion..but what can I say..if you tried it once you know its worth it. It's a out of my budget now that I have just bought a house and have to cut back.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2005 1:35:00 PM More reviews by Jakquetta

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I have the driest hands on the planet and this works fairly good. My hands do not feel dry but still I don't feel they are totally moisturized. My nails look better after a few nights' uses though. I still need a heavIER hand cream (told ya) but since this works to some degree I give it 3 lippies. The scent is okay, I was expecting something more shea or anything sweet like Le Couvent's Repairing Hand Cream (I was comparing these two a lot since they are both made by L'Occitane) which I actually like better. The metal tube packaging is the only minus point I can think of it....oh and the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2005 6:22:00 PM More reviews by ocngypz

I love the scent. Reminds me of Floris "Bouvardia" eau to toilette.

This is my HG hand and foot cream. There's nothing else like it.

Price doesn't bother me... because it works!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2005 1:24:00 AM More reviews by Cygentte3

This is definitely my HG hand cream. I'll admit that I haven't bought or tried tons of hand creams, but having tried 5 or so, my search stop when I tried this one.

It's got a lovely, thick and creamy texture. I don't need to use much to get the amount of moisture that I want, and I find that it sinks in quickly without leaving a greasy residue. It leaves my hands soft and gets rid of any dry patches I have (which I get fairly frequently since I teach and have to write with chalk frequently).

I also absolutely *love* the scent. It is very sweet, and I can't define it well (not good at describing scents), but I do love it.

Absolutely something that I'll be keeping in my stash. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2005 4:12:00 AM More reviews by cmhwi

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very good hand cream. The metal tube is somewhat interesting, but the screw cap is kind of a nuisance to deal with. This is a very heavy hand cream so I use it only on the tops of my hands, knees and heels. If any gets on my palms I have to wash it off so there is no sticky residue. I'm not crazy about the scent, however.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2005 2:31:00 AM More reviews by iammao

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have very dry hands and have not found any cream that can help my hands. I live in a humid tropical climate and still suffer from extreme hand dryness. I use gloves for doign the dishes and most household chores but washing my hands off grime can dry my hands out terribly.

I've tried even the more 'serious' brands at the drugstore but couldn't find any that worked long enough. So I decided to try out this cream at their store. The S.A gave me a huge dollop as a tester. It went on tacky and took a while to absorb. But when it did, it was the most nourishing and comfortable feeling my hands have experienced ever. The feeling remained despite several washes with hand soap.

As for the packaging, I'm not too fussed with the aluminium tube as I grew up on very traditional French cosmetics so am very used to everything coming in such tubes. It helps if you squeeze it out slowly from the bottom of the tube always.

I've also found that applying the cream in multiple thin layers works well. It helps you maximise the protection while helping you avoid wastage.

I purchased a small trial pack due to fears that it will be a let down. But I'm definitely going to repurchase a large tube.