NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 11/18/2012 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Great foundation once you figure out how to use it properly! The first time I bought this foundation, I disregarded the insert. I was unhappy with the result and I returned it. After other failed attempts in trying to find a great foundation, I saw a review on this that said you have to follow the instructions. So I bought it again, read the insert and followed the instructions. WOW - what a difference!

Just one pump of foundation covered my whole face perfectly. Shake the bottle very well. Then, you HAVE to warm it up in the palm of your hand first until the consistency changes somewhat and press it gently into your skin, patting and pressing the entire face. I admit it takes more time than other foundations, but for going out at night, it is totally worth it. Once you have it patted into the skin, I use a foundation brush very lightly to blend any areas that still needed it. I had flawless coverage - even around the nose where my pores tend to be larger. I use chanel powder to set and NARS orgasm blush.

As for breaking out, the trick here is to really cleanse well after wearing it to make sure you get everything out of your pores. After using a good cleanser and rinsing, I go back over with my olay rotating face brush after washing it off with water and make sure everything is off and follow with toner.

I didn't give it a 5 because it is cumbersome to apply, but if you have the time, it is totally worth it. Price was on the expensive side. The 3 on the packaging quality is because it does not come with a pump. This can be purchased separately for about $7 and is reusable.

on 11/17/2012 6:01:00 PM

I really wanted to love this product but it was just not for me, despite being recommended for dry skin I always looked patchy with this foundation, and by the end of the day i look ill and tired (completely not the look im going for). When its first applied it looks ok, but by the end of the day it looks as though its completely come off. Also I have sensitive skin and it did break me out but if you are eager to try the product out and cant get hold of a sample perhaps try the DUPE for this which is the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation just to see if you like the finish.

Im shade Punjab in this which is perfect

Im tawny in Estee lauder and 4 natural in bobbie brown

on 11/16/2012 5:17:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I have combo skin, but this doesn't make it appear any more oily. I actually like the shine it gives my cheeks without using highlighter, all I need to do is blot the t-zone and I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome. I recommended this product to a friend and she ended up purchasing one as well. I use to always purchase "matte" finish foundations such as MUFE Mat+, Chanel Mat Lumiere, and even the Nars Sheer Matte version, after awhile I found them to be too drying because of my combo skin. I prefer and will repurchase this product throughout the seasons. (P.S I use the Clairsonic Mia as apart of my a daily facial cleanser routine)

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This product is definitely very sheer. It is also very dewy so you would need a translucent powder on top of it. I just felt this foundation made me look very pale and yellowy. I wasn't pleased with the consistency and i will not be purchasing this product ever again. If you want a good foundation, makeup forever hd foundation is the way to go.

on 11/12/2012 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I decided to buy this product as I have been hearing lots of good things about Nars. It is very sheer so if you want full coverage you would have to build it up. Anyways, it applies really well like silky and it doesn't feel like it clogs up my pores. The only problem is I suffer from eczema and have dry skin, as with most foundations, my dry skin is very noticeable, therefore, I suggest that if you do use this to make sure you have fully exfoliated and have moisturised as this isn't a moisturising foundation. Besides from that, I would definitely buy it again!

on 11/12/2012 12:02:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Deauville or Ceylan is pretty much a perfect winter color match for me. I'm naturally pretty pale with yellow/olive skin tones. It blends really well, and the finish is semi-matte on me. The SA at sephora recommended using my fingers, because it helps warm and blend the foundation. I usually use a flat top brush though, and I'll pat on extra foundation with my fingers where I have acne scars/discoloration. It's probably medium coverage, and builds pretty well.

It lasts all day, and I don't really need to set it with powder. I use a primer underneath. It does accentuate flakes a little. It's doesn't transfer on clothes, other stuff, even without powder. It also looks great in pictures.

Last winter, I used a mix of MUFE HD 117 and 120. The 117 was a little on the pale side, and the 120 was a little too dark for most of the winter. So far I'm liking Sheer Glow better because the finish is more natural in real life, and I don't need to mix shades. Also, the MUFE HD would look really bad on flakes, and even with powder, it'd still transfer.

I don't like the packaging. I wish it had a pump (apparently you can buy one.

on 11/10/2012 5:52:00 PM

I love love love this foundation. I have acne prone skin, which is semi-under control currently, but I have red acne spots that are taking a while to fade. This foundation covers up most of my acne spots while still not being too thick or mask-like. I feel like the luminescence of my skin is still able to shine through. Also, I've been using this foundation for a few months now and it hasn't made me break out. Awesome product! I will definitely repurchase despite the price ($42 at Sephora).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

So. I really wanted to love this foundation, and I really was until I realized this *perfect skin match* was waging war on my face!

At first I was ecstatic because I found a perfect match for my pale, pale, pale skin. I bought this in Siberia- MAC NC15 is a bit too dark. Shortly after I started using this, I started getting cysts, but not regular acne cysts. They were akin to what I get when I eat processed soy products... I've never had acne like this in my life and I was HORRIFIED! I stopped using my new primer, I cut out food with even the smallest amount of soybean oil but the cysts would reappear as soon as the old ones went away- it took 6 months to figure out what the heck could be doing this to me.

I pulled up ingredient lists for the Sheer Glow and for my old foundation (MAC Select). The Nars is silicone based with the second ingredient being Cyclopentasiloxane. This ingredient is not present in the water-based MAC I had used for years. Never had a breakout from the MAC.

Other than the skin reaction, this is a great foundation. It photographs beautifully and provides good coverage (it is not sheer). I applied it with a damp sponge, my fingers, dry foundation brush and a damp foundation brush and all produced a nice result.

It can highlight dry patches, so if you have very dry skin (like me :( ) exfoliate and moisturize before you apply.

I am very sad Sheer Glow didn't work for my skin, but if your skin isn't bothered by CPS, give it a go!

Edited 11.30.12: After stopping this foundation for weeks, I have realized that this foundation didn't just give me the reactionary cysts, it DESTROYED the texture of my skin! I had finally, at 29 gotten my skin nice, even with postpartum hormones but this makeup caused my skin to be perpetually rough! Without altering my routine, my skin is back to being smooth and now I have minimal spots (stupid hormones!) again. Three cheers for California Baby Calendula Cream!!

on 11/5/2012 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I hear such good things about this foundation, but I just can't get it to work for me. It sits on top of my skin and emphasizes any uneven texture. In this way, it reminds me of MUFE HD and Armani LSF. If you like either of those two, you might like NARS. Another problem I have with this foundation is the shade selection. I have light skin with yellow undertones (MAC NC20/25). There is no shade in this foundation that looks right on me. I have tried deauville (too light), ceylan (too light and too yellow), fiji (too yellow), punjab (dark and off somehow), and santa fe (too dark). With the exception of deauville, the other shade are so yellow/orange/peach. I have combination skin, and this foundation doesn't wear well on me. My face gets oily, and the foundation slides off easily. Even though this doesn't work for me, I can see it working well for someone with normal, smooth skin who is looking for something that will give moderate coverage and a dewy finish.

on 11/5/2012 12:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I do not like this foundation. The name makes you think it will be natural looking and glowy! NOPE.

The foundation itself is very liquidy and easy to blend, but also causes quite a bit of waste because the foundation does not have a pump.

For $44 USD you should really get a pump. The cap it comes with is also bulky and just like ALL NARS packaging, every speck of makeup or dust sticks to the surface. It comes off easily with a makeup wipe, but it's still irritating.

Like I said, it does spread very easily. But this foundation does not like brushes, it doesn't matter what type I used it ended up looking streaky and cakey. This works best, for me, with something like a Beauty Blender. (But I am convinced that little sponge can make any foundation look much better.)

This foundation sets relatively and you would think with a name like "sheer glow" it would set to a glowy, or at least satin finish. It does not. It goes completely matte. For the first few days of using it I thought someone had switched the bottles and I had gotten Sheer Matte instead.

It does set to a matte finish, but it does not stay that way. Even with my NARS Pro Prime, within 4 hours this foundation started clinging to the dry patches between my eyebrows and collecting around my nose and chin in a very greasy fashion. Not cute. I figured with my drier winter skin this would last much longer but it just didn't.

This product is so raved about everywhere and I was SO excited when I finally got the chance to buy it. I was so disappointed in this, I'm glad it works for other people but it just isn't for me. Sad day.

Video Reviews & Tutorials