NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 7/16/2012 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am quite surprised by this product I just purchased it the other day. First off their is nothing "sheer" about this foundation not to say it is a bad thing at least for me. I hate to admit but I have bad skin I have a lot of blemishes so I need a good coverage. Anyways I put this on with my fingers since the Sephora I went to did not carry the beauty blender
:(. And it automatically covered every thing I thought I would need a second layer but every thing was covered I was pleasantly surprised. I got the foundation in the shade Cadiz, I am a NC45/NC50 (I have to mix to get my perfect color) Cadiz matched me perfectly.

About the "glow" when first applying I did NOT notice a glow but when the foundation sinks in you can definitely see a difference almost like a glow from with in. I loved it.

So far this foundation is pretty good but I will be updating.

UPDATE::
This foundation is my new HG, I know people are not to crazy about foundations claiming skin care benefits but NARS really works for me my skin is way more smooth and even ever since are started using it everyday, I use to use Estee Lauder Double Wear which is a great foundation, but ever since I started using NARS my sin is looking way better this coming from some one who has struggled with my skin my whole entire life specifically my face. Great foundation even greater benefits.

on 7/15/2012 4:20:00 AM

I finally jumped on the bandwagon and got this product during my stay in NYC. Well it was a big mistake.
I really wanted to love the foundation as everybody is raving about it and loving it.
It is nice to apply with the beautyblender. I first primed my skin with the hourglass veil primer. The instant result is a flawless looking skin. But after one hour I looked like a greaseball. I tried it with a lot of different primers but this product is not really my friend.
I do have to tell that I have oily skin on certain days in the month, but usually I have a normal skin.
It is just nothing for me.

on 7/13/2012 11:31:00 AM

I'm sooooo glad I took the plunge on ASOS (student discount) and tried this!
I bought this in the shade Punjab, prob equivalent to MAC NC25. It's got a liquid, runny consistency which I think makes it easier to blend and get an even coverage. I think applying with fingers is one of best ways - I've tried buffing brushes but it doesn't give as nice a finish. It actually gives SUCH a nice flawless finish - not dewy but not totally matte.
Staying power is not amazing - if I've overloaded with moisturiser it will be quite oily by midday but if you prep skin correctly for your skin type it does wear quite well. For example blotting skin of excess oil inbetween moisturiser and applying foundation.
But as for that frigging bottle. Well I hadn't really had any problems till I packed it in my suitcase to take on holiday. WELL. BIG MISTAKE. It had all leaked and pooled into the lid. I was devastated - not only because of the mess but the waste of product!

Deff try and get a sample of this to see if it works for your skin type. I would recommend this to people with normal/combo and it can be buildable in coverage to suit your skin. I wish I bought the pump from the start but resented paying that much for it! I am a bit of a foundation fiend so am always looking out for the world's best foundation - but I do really like this so would repurchase again at some point :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

So much has already been said, I'm keeping this review brief and to the point (not bothering to describe the product in detail):
- my shade is Siberia, it's quite yellow, but it's a cool yellow
- you need to prep your skin well, as with most foundations, or this can look awful, really sitting on top of skin, not looking natural
- have had good luck with: flat foundation brush, mini flat foundation brush, damp sponge, fingers. Have had bad luck with: brushes that use more of a buffing action, dry sponge
- less is more, somewhat buildable coverage, stop when you're still thinking you could add more
- averageish lasting power
- I only need to lightly powder it sometimes; never heavily powder, sometimes skip powder
- not sure if it has much of a 'glow' I find it more like demi-matte? don't believe it has any shimmer.
- can sink into pores
- will absolutely show dry/flaky patches
- color is a good neutralizer of my red cheeks
- for once, I seem to have found a foundation I can wear frequently without seeing an increase in acne. This is WHY this foundation is my go-to at the moment.
- however I have not seen any skincare benefits (nor did I expect to)
- shake before use

Bonus Section - Packaging Woes:
ARGH.
I didn't buy the pump. Later I thought about it, but if you buy only the pump from the NARS website, along with shipping etc. the price becomes ridiculous for what you'll get. (AKA something that should have come with the product for free.)
The rubberized big square part of the cap IS REMOVABLE. If you pull that sucker off, you won't be doomed to have an ugly foundation top covered in foundation-y fingerprints. However, the small plastic cap underneath is WEAK.
Mine cracked (and I'm pretty gentle on makeup products). Now I'm having to put plastic wrap over the bottle before putting the cap on to make sure I get an airtight seal. I am ordering a little bottle from Muji to decant the foundation into, and then I won't have these packaging woes anymore. Haha!

on 7/12/2012 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

So I found out this was not what was causing my breakouts. I'm so glad because its the best foundation I have ever used. Perfect texture that dries to a soft finish that does not accentuate dryness. I can adjust the moisture level with powder. Coverage is not too heavy and not too light either, and can be built up and not look cakey. But where this really shines is the color. I got this in Ceylan which is an exact match on me, is a nice true light yellow for my Mac C3 skin. Also just an FYI, this is available on Amazon Prime (a lot of Nars stuff is). I went ahead and bought the pump, which I got from Nordstrom.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

My HG foundation for now! Butter-like consistency melts into my skin and medium coverage leaves me flawless. I am extremely oily and acne-prone so I did not expect to like this foundation at all. In fact, any product with the word "glow" in it, I consider the anti-HG! I'm so glad I gave this product a shot based on a blogger's love for it. I do use an oil-controlling primer and UD De-slick setting spray for longevity. I wouldn't attempt this product without those steps if you are oily. I don't really care that there is no pump since I portion my foundation into a little pot daily. A little goes a loooong way! I prefer a foundation brush to fingers for application and I set with powder (brand varies). I do touch up mid work day with MAC blot powder. No breakouts so far. Bottom line...when I wear this foundation, I can't keep from looking at my skin in admiration every chance I get!

on 7/9/2012 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Have used: chanel vitalumiere, Missha bb cream, mufe face and body, armani face fabric, YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat, Hera HD foundation
REREVIEW: I think I liked this a lot better when it was humid out because it is not doing anything for me. The coverage is medium and it kind of looks cakey but it could be because I’m used to a more sheer coverage. Out of all the foundations I have used, I think this is quite average and not worth the price. I do recommend the Armani face fabric if you’re looking for a splurge. MUFE Face and Body and Hera HD foundation are still much better for my dry mid-20s skin.
nd armani.

on 7/8/2012 3:13:00 AM

I love this foundation. It wears really well on my dry skin and lasts all day. The coverage is more medium and not sheer at all and more matte than the name suggests. On my dry skin, I find that wearing this without powder gives me the perfect amount of coverage and lasting power and is a really great base for concealer as well.

HOWEVER - my biggest gripe with the product is the packaging. I like my foundations to have pumps and Sheer Glow does not come with one. Furthermore, when you do purchase a pump the lid will not fit over the top. This makes it impossible to travel with and just seems like pathetic design. Because of this, I do not see myself repurchasing which is a real shame as I adore this foundation. Please NARS - CHANGE THE PACKAGING!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I feel like people either love or hate this foundation. Unfortunately, in my case, it's hate. I loved it at first, I wore it and it blended well and looked awesome. Then the second time, it looked really yellow! I tried so hard to blend it out and it still looked weird. I have oily skin but it clung to dry patches that I didn't even know I had! It also looked cakey and fake. It got greasy looking throughout the day. I tried it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Well, it made my face itch so bad! So for the past week I've been dealing with zits popping up all over my chin! Ahhh! At least I didn't actually buy this foundation, I work at a cosmetics store so I had just made a sample. I'm writing this to warn acne prone or sensitive girls! Proceed with caution! Everyone's skin is different so it could just be me. I love the Nars tinted moisturizer though, no breakouts from that!

on 7/3/2012 10:40:00 AM

I have tried many foundations before this, pretty much every drug store brand and high-end ones such as MAC, Clinique, BareMinerals, Tarte, and Lorac. I went to Sephora and was choosing between Nars Sheer Glow and Benefit's Hello Gorgeous to wear for my graduation. The girl at Sephora tried both on me and I fell in love with Nars, it is absolutely beautiful-goes on smoothly and basically airbrushes my face where I need it most (I took accutane less than a year ago and I have some minor scarring still) but it also was light enough to not cover up my freckles, something I love :). It goes on great with a brush, although I was told to use my fingers, I don't like applying makeup using my hands. The cost of it in my opinion is well worth it, you get what you pay for. I'd rather spend $42 on a foundation I love than $42 on several foundations I was unhappy with. All and all, definitely worth the splurge!

Video Reviews & Tutorials