MAC Paint Pot in Painterly

4.3

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 9/19/2010 7:12:00 PM

This is a great product from MAC. For my NC15-20 skintone, when applied on my lids, it is almost unnoticeable. I cant say that my colours came up more true...i use a white base such as NYX jumbo pencil in Milk if i want this to happen...BUT...it kept my shadows on with NO creasing for the entire day! I dont find that my eyelids are particularly oily, so i dont know how it would last on people with oily lids, but for me, this completely worked. Yes, pricey, but if it works, im willing to pay. A+ product from MAC

on 9/19/2010 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Works decently to increase the color payoff of my eyeshadow, but really not by very much. Does nothing to increase the lasting power, on me. Upsides: I like the consistency, it's not pasty, it spreads on kind of like an undereye concealer and sets VERY quickly. Also I like the little pot it comes in. But really nothing special for me, which is sad as I heard rave reviews for it.

on 9/16/2010 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

WOW!! I love love love this product!! Why? Well 1st of all, I get frustrated when I buy an eye shadow and FALL crazy in love with it ONLY to apply it and it looks like a different color!! Especially, the $$$ I spend on it---this actually HELPS my shadow to last longer because I do NOT have to reapply it-therefore, saving me $$$ overall!! 2ndly, I LOVE that the color is more TRUE to the color in it's container!! Woohooo.. helping to POP out the color because it's the "TRUE" color!
I LOOVE this... it's the best thing since sliced bread!!
A little on the expensive side but it's WORTH it!! You'll save $$ in the end by not having to apply your eyeshadow 3x's in 1 day!! Usually by lunchtime, my makeup needs to be refreshed---and by the time I get home--forget it!! I'm in front of the screen all day long so my eyes really take a beating, and I commute 1.5 hours every day (round trip) so my eyes take its abuse!

on 9/11/2010 1:29:00 AM

Although it's a little more dry and not as bendable as I like, the product does provide a clean, smooth base for eyeshadow to be applied and not budge. I hope one day the company improves the formula to be slightly more creamy so I don't have to tug at my eyelids.

on 9/9/2010 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I went into MAC with plans of buying Bare Study paint pot because I wanted a nice shimmery base. However, when I told the makeup artist I wanted to look at the paint pots she pulled out painterly and said it was the best and she used it everyday. So, I thought hey I wanted that one too, so I got it. I am SO happy I did! It evens out my eyelids like nothing else!! It provides an awesome base for eyeshadows. However, I do find that with darker shadows I still get creasing, so I usually just use Too Faced Shadow Insurance first, then a thin layer of painterly (because I love how it evens out my eyelids) and then my shadows. I find applying it with fingers is the best way - but you only need a little bit and I just pat it gently onto my eyelid and it works perfect! I will never be without painterly, although I still want to get bare study for times when I want a shimmery base!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I purchased this because I wanted to hide the veins and other discolorations on my eyelids. I like a very simple eye. I didn't really mind it's very slight shimmer. When the MUA applied this at MAC I was quite pleased. Once at home I applied with my fingers, it's consistency isn't as smooth as I hoped because it's bit dry and with a brush I had trouble too. If you don't have that problem, I have to say that this creases after an hour or too. I was told by Mac it's guaranteed to last 8 hours.

They lied.

on 8/28/2010 8:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

believe the reviews. it works well. i use it under Mac or Mary Kay shadows and they last all day. i've heard "soft ocre" works just as well, and is a better color for some ppl. so i may try that next.

I use Painterly every day. It keeps my eyeshadow looking fantastic and crease-free all day. I cannot imagine how I lived prior to having this. Works for many different skin types and works well for all eye shadow colors.

on 8/26/2010 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I can't believe I've been remiss in reviewing this product! I love it! This is the best thing for neutralizing the red on my eyelids and making my shadow last all day. I put my eye makeup on at 6:30 a.m. and it still looks great when I take it off about 12 hours later. Worth every penny!

UPDATE 10/12/10: This is HG. I'll never be without this paint pot! Love it!!!!!!

This is a nice product to have as it neutralises your lid before applying eyeshadows and eyeliners. I find with other primers such as Urban Decay Primer Potion that, while it is an excellent primer, it is too translucent to create an even colour base. Painterly does that job nicely, which is why I usually prime with UDPP and then add a thin even coating of Painterly on top so that I have an even base colour to apply my eyeshadow onto. I am still experimenting with the best way to apply Painterly as I have found that when applying it with my finger it can cake sometimes and if I apply it with a small brush I cannot blend it in very well. I guess I will just have to keep trying to get it right, but if anyone has any suggestions for application I would love to hear them!

Painterly is a beautiful, muted nude colour, with absolutely no shimmer whatsoever to speak of. If I want shimmer as a base I use MAC paint in Bare Canvas. Painterly has quite a thick consistency, which can make it quite difficult to blend. I have quite pale skin and I would say Painterly is a couple of shades darker than my skin tone, but I can still use it on my eyes without making them too dark.

It is pricey but then again all MAC products are. But the quality is very good and you get so much in the pot. I doubt I will ever use it all up. If I did use it all up I would most likely purchase again, especially if I work out how to apply it a bit better. The packaging is quite good as it is a screw cap and is therefore probably almost completely airtight, but this product could dry out as it has a fairly dry consistency anyway. This is one product which I know is fabulous but which is let down slightly by my inexperience of applying it!

If you're not sure about this product get a sample as it will probably last you a good while!!

Top Rated MAC Products