Tarte Lights Camera Lashes

3.8

Ingredients: Aqua, oryza sativa (rice) bran wax, cyclopentasiloxane, hydrogenated stearyl olive esters, stearic acid, cera carnauba, triethanolamine, alcohol, candelilla cera, acacia senegal gum, panthenol, VP/VA copolymer, polyvinyl alcohol, aminomethylpropanediol, chlorphenesin, iron oxides (CI 77499).

I'm really surprised at the relatively neutral or negative reviews this product received. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I have pretty long lashes and was looking for a good mascara to give a 'little better than natural' effect for daytime. I hate gloppy, clumpy, sticky mascaras and also can't stand the plastic wands like in Lash Blast. This is the perfect formula and my lashes look miles long and perfectly dense... I've had several people ask if I'm wearing false lashes.

The best part is that my eyes are really sensitive and the best mascaras I've found in the past (Boots 360 Cils) have caused major eye irritation. Not so with the Tarte! I can wear it all day long... doesn't run or flake... and my eyes don't turn red!
Woohoo!

on 8/7/2009 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

LOVE IT!!! I HAVE TRIED A TON OF MASCARAS TRYINY TO FIND THE PERFECT ONE. THIS IS IT. IT GIVES VOLUME, LENGTH AND WITH A LASH CURLER IT GIVES ME A SEXY CURVE.

on 7/30/2009 1:36:00 AM

I got a sample of this at Sephora and it's one of my favorite mascaras to use with the Shiseido mascara base. It's a thin consistency so my lashes stayed separated and curled. Heavier formulas tend to weigh my lashes down. The bad part about the lighter formula is that it only lengthens and doesn't volumize the lashes. I would buy again to use with the mascara base.

on 7/5/2009 1:18:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I was using Diorshow until I got a sample of this product and started using it. I have naturally long and dark lashes, so I just need a bit of thickening and this does the trick. I haven't found it to be clumpy or dry...yet. I'm about to take a trip to FL and am taking the Lights Camera Splashes...will review upon my return.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes proved another mascara speed bump on my quest to find a one that will sufficiently enhance my decent length and volume without killing my curl.

While Lights, Camera, Lashes more or less held my curl, clumps and definition proved persistent problems. This mascara required quality time with a metal lash comb. The formula did not offer volume but did a nice enough job enhancing my existing length. The color is a rich black but the finished look is a little on the matte side. This wore decent and removed easily with cleanser and water. I was surprised how quickly this tube began to dry out (and how that exponentially increased clumps).

Ultimately, I was not snared by either the natural formula or the awkward, bulky faux leather packaging. Overall, Lights, Camera, Lashes is an average mascara that delivers a serviceable result. In the world of mascara, I think you could spend less and get more. This is not a repurchase for me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Although this shouldn't be waterproof, but it doesn't smudge when I cry. I am not sure why. This doesn't volumize, doesn't really lengthen, but holds my curls so-so. This is just an average mascara, I will stick to Majolica Majorca.

on 5/1/2009 3:39:00 PM

I received a sample size of this and I customarily keep a tiny mascara in my make up bag for touch ups. I went a few days without thinking of reaching for this mascara but when I finally did, I was pleasantly surprised. Granted my lashes were already coated in a myriad of random mascaras sitting around my bathroom sink, but this mascara added a nice even layer of volume over my lashes.

So I've been using it as my base mascara these days. After I curl my eyelashes, I apply a thin coat of this stuff and let it dry and then either add an additional coat or a coat of Rimmel Lash Extender (I think that's what it is). It goes on fairly evenly and gives my lashes a visible amount of ooomph without clumpiness.

Granted it's nothing as WOW as Lancome Defincils. I wouldn't say that it seemed like it "lengthening, curling, volumizing, and conditioning" my lashes. To be fair, I am very sparsely-lashed (thanks Asian genes) but like it said, the mascara did serve to hold my curve and emphasize the few lashes I have. I probably will not repurchase it (it's made in China and I'm maybe a little irrationally wary). But it's definitely one of the better mascaras I've tried.

Note: Okay a few weeks later I must say that this mascara becomes clumpy and unworkable rather quickly! I suppose my repeated use (mind you I just got the tiny sample size so I can imagine how frustrated I would've been had I purchased the full sized version!) facilitated too much air exposure and it's a little too thick and clumpy now. So my rating would've been a 4, but now it's a 3.

on 4/27/2009 8:11:00 PM

HG! The best mascara I've ever used, it's worth every penny.

Gives you thicker, slightly longer lashes without clumps. Brush is a perfect size and allows you to get close to the lash line; the tapered end is handy for those tiny lashes. While this one is not waterproof, it has great lasting power. Lashes don't feel crunchy at the end of the day, but remain soft and flexible.

Only thing is the packaging - has a weird purple, snakeskin like cover on the tube that tends to come off. Makes the tube have an awkward shape, but otherwise, the tube is generously sized.

Highly recommend!

on 4/25/2009 5:51:00 AM

I had high hopes for this mascara after it got rave reviews, but alas, it was another disappointment.

PROS: Curled well, seperated pretty ok
CONS: Everything else.

Let's start with the brush: It's densely packed with short bristles that are so hard and prickly that you could probably use it to scrub your oven. On somone with thin, fragile, short lashes like mine, it literally hurt to apply those pokey bristles at the roots of the lashes.

The color: it's an off-black - not shiny at all, and so dull it was more of a dark gray. I guess that's fine if you have blonde lashes, but I have tanned skin and need a deep black to make lashes pop against it.

The formula: Dry and thick [yuck]. It did not glide through my lashes smoothly at all. In fact, it took several coats before it even looked like I had anything on my lashes.

I guess if you have naturally thick, long dark lashes and you had lots of spare time and felt like brushing those lashes for fun, whip out this mascara. If you like Maybelline Full N' Soft, L'Oreal voluminous, or Maybelline volume express, you'll like this one. (I hated those dry, crusty mascaras too).

Save your $18 and buy one of the aforementioned drug store mascaras.

on 3/24/2009 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Disappointed. Hate the purple case but I could've gotten over that. There's nothing wrong with this mascara if you want a natural look. I prefer a deeper black like so many mascaras have now. Also prefer a little more volume.