April 18, 2014 | 1758 users online

Mascara - Tarte - Lights Camera Lashes

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2007 12:23:00 PM More reviews by alula

I also received this as a sample from Sephora. Wow, great mascara! I have short, stubby lashes and this does a fantastic job of curling and lengthing. I sometimes have a few flakes above, not below, my eyes - I suppose where my lashes have reached up and touched the crease above my eye. I'll live with that, thanks.
Packaging is super ugly on the regular mascara. Open suggestion to Tarte People to change it immediately.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2007 4:50:00 PM More reviews by h2okolor

Just tried this today and at first blush I'm very pleased with the product. The package is funky and before I had even applied the mascara to my lashes the bottom purple cover had loosened and come off. I actually prefer NO purple cover so that's okay (except for the fact the purple cover is probably part of the medium-high cost of the whole thing)... Anyhow! No clumping. No smearing. No smudging. Only a couple flakes. If my opinion of this product
changes I'll update. At this point I would purchase again.

Later: This does irritate my eyes a little. There is minimal flaking (which might be what irritates my eyes). Clumps slightly when applied so I have to comb thru with the eyelash comb (I have lots of fine, long eyelashes so it's very easy to clump them). I'm not changing my lippie rating but would only buy this again if I HAD to....(i.e. something better not available).

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2007 12:45:00 PM More reviews by Vampy1976

I got this in a kit from QVC, I wasn't expecting much from it - as I was more interested in the cheek stain in the kit. WOW - I was wrong. This is a great mascara for me. It has a nice deep black color, dries nicely without being overly stiff. Has a nice fat brush. I was getting used to the spongey brushes that are all the rage now. Which I do like to clean up any possible clumping. My typical mascara routine is:

1. Curl with SU curler
2. Apply 1st coat, wiggling at the base and bringing up slowly
3. Curl again, about 20 seconds or so
4. Comb through
5. Apply 2nd coat, up and out
6. Curl one last time, about 30 seconds or so
7. Comb through

It doesn't take nearly as long as it sounds...lol.

As far as the packaging, I can care less about that. Sure it looks a little tacky - but to me I care more of how it's going to work. Would I buy it again? Yes, If I don't find a cheaper one I like just as much :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2007 1:56:00 AM More reviews by ruqayya33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this as a sample as a Sephora "Insider Member." I must say that this mascara is quite impressive.

The wand is very sense, yet does not get gunked up with a great deal of excess mascara, unlike others. (I do wipe the tip, where a little gunking happens, with a tissue before I apply.)

I'm not sure why some reviewers had trouble loosing their curl with this on. I wonder what kind of curler they're using?! My curl (with Shiseido's Makeup Lash Curler) lasts all day, if I apply 2 light coats of this mascara (with or without Shiseido's Makeup Lash Primer underneath.)

If I use 1-2 light coats of Shiseido Makeup Lash Primer with this mascara, my lashes end up being a little thicker and fuller. On it's own - with a typical 2-3 coats - it has minimal thickening properties.... In fact, I have yet to find a decent mascara that actually does thicken well in 3 coats or less, without clumps or flakes. (I'm a contact wearer and am not fond of thickening mascaras containing fibers. They flake off into my eyes....)

In all, this is a nice mascara that holds up all day, without clumping, flaking or smearing.

Only cons:
* $18 price tag - but it may end up being worth it over 2-3 months.
* I may be one of only a few here.... but I'm not totally in love with the actual "funky" packaging cover. It's a little weird, IMHO. I'm more into "regular" mascara tubes... but since I don't carry it around with me, like lipstick , I think I'll be ok with it. ;)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2007 11:03:00 PM More reviews by veeboo

After getting a sample of the Tarte mascara and the seeing the tacky packaging- I thought it all was just a gimmick. Since the sample was a small size- I threw it into my purse just in case I needed it. I grabbed it while I was at work to perk myself up and it did separate and lengthen my lashes very nicely. No clumping or smudging and it gave a very nice shine. (Unfortunately it doesn't add volume at all. And it may not hold a curl all too long either.) Towards the end of my work day- I started getting tired and rubbed my eye- I ran to a mirror expecting racoon eyes a la Great Lash- but I saw beautiful glossy lashes. Pleasant surprise! It also didn't irritate my eyes like many many other mascaras do. It's now the everyday mascara I am always looking for and okay... I'm starting to like the tacky packaging too- it makes it easier to find!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2007 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Mickster

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Lights, Camera...where did my curl go? Not impressed. 3 seconds after curling lashes and applying mascara curl go bye bye... with one coat.

Does give a nice glossy black finish, and really defines lower lashes.

Won't repurchase

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2007 12:03:00 AM More reviews by msdi2u

Got this as a freebie from Sephora (from their Beauty-Insider Club perks), and am really impressed with this mascara so far! This gave me decent length, nice glossy black color, no clumps, smearing, smudging or splashing during application. It also didn't burn or sting my eyes by the end of the day like some other mascaras I've used. After a few more tries, I will come back and update this review if this mascara continues to impress- or... takes a turn for the worse.

EDIT 11/04/07: This mascara thoroughly impressed me yesterday, when- for whatever reason- one of my eyes kept tearing and "running" all day... and this mascara never smudged or smeared ONCE! Any other mascara would have left me raccoon-eyed for sure! When I need more mascara, I am going to invest the $18 on this one; becuz it has more than proved that it's worth it!

Update 9/15/08: Well, I bought a new tube of this a few months back, and I have been very disappointed in the full-sized version. Why does this happen? It performs quite differently from the way the trial-sized tube did! This one still doesn't smudge or burn my eyes, but it applies wetter and clumpier then the trial. Today it left a mess on my lids (grrrrrr); and I have to use a lash comb when I use this, otherwise, it is Clump City for me. Too bad... I will not be repurchasing after this one. Back to my current HG: Telescopic Clean Definition, which currently has me spoiled for other mascaras. (Better price, too!) Deducted a few lippies from earlier reviews. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2007 9:06:00 PM More reviews by rbella

This mascara is great. I think the packaging is one of the biggest draws for me. Other than that, I like the fact that it does allow my lashes to keep their curl all day and that it isn't clumpy. Also, this mascara separates my lashes better than any other that I have tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2007 10:54:00 AM More reviews by kmwilt15

I love this mascara! It doesn't give a ton of volume, but that's good for my because I don't like the look of thick lashes (it overpowers my face). However, the lengthening and curling effects were beyond anything that I've ever tried. It lasted all day and didn't flake or smudge, and it held a curl really well. HG product!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2007 5:33:00 PM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

this one's a winner! it's the closest thing i've found so far to my dc'd HG (Dior Maximeyes) and i love it. it's really dark glossy black, has a wet formula that doesn't clump and doesn't straighten your lashes, holds your curl up well, doesn't flake or smudge on me, and leaves my lashes soft. i wouldn't say it gives TONS of volume, more like nice feathery black lashes. now, onto the things i don't like: the brush is meh to me, i think it could be better w/longer and thicker bristles. and the packaging- eeeek! i HATE it! first of all, i think it's tacky and second of all, i can tell that within the first 10 uses the snakeskin will unglue from the tube and will be useless. then i'll be stuck w/a plain black unmarked tube of mascara! :( but i can live with that since the product is really good. i would definitely repurchase this, and it may become my new HG. *EDIT* i was loving this until i decided to wear my Maximeyes again one day, and it made me so dissapointed. it just doesn't come close, it's not a bad mascara, but compared to Maximeyes it's a bust. so frustrating. **EDIT** i tried this again today out of curiousity, and bleh. it's just so mediocre.