September 30, 2014 | 1858 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 3 of 5 on 12/26/2011 2:37:00 AM More reviews by glamglamglam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

EDIT: I do like this product, but don't expect miracle results. It has improved my skin a little, but not too too much. I've kept it just because I've gotten used to the clean it gives me, and I kind of like the routine of it. I've had this for a little over a week, and am not overly impressed. Yes, it does make my skin softer and feel super clean, but not much else. I have oily skin, large pores, and some acne scarring. Nothing too crazy, but I'm a perfectionist. My boyfriend bought me this as an early Christmas present, and at first I was expecting miracle results. Truthfully, it does do what it says; it cleans your face very well. I didn't notice much of a difference to my skin, although my sister mentioned that my pores had shrunk a little, but that may be due to my makeup change. I'm going to keep it another month because it is a good product to have (it does clean your face very well), but I can't justify $130 for a clean face. Overall, I'm meh about this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2011 11:47:00 PM More reviews by janeyface

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I asked for this for Christmas, and I've gotta say, I was really scared. I've seen a ridiculous number of horrible reviews for this product, from people with similar skin to mine. I was going to wait a while before doing this, but I decided instead to update it as time progresses.

I've been using my Clarisonic Mia for about three days now. I use it twice a day, no more, no less (even though I want to be using it all the time!). It's really a very cool product. The packaging is sleek, and it comes in so many color options. Mine was purchased at Ulta, I ended up receiving the turquoise color. The bristles of the brush were much softer than I expected. I expected a very abrasive product, and for my skin, this brush is less abrasive than some of the scrubs I've used in the past.

The first time I used the brush, I was a bit disappointed. This brush is made out to seem like a one-minute miracle worker, a fast way to perfect skin. After my first use, my skin was a little softer, but not much. I didn't see a whole lot of difference. I remembered a review I had read that stated that this brush does what it promises and nothing more, and it does. It promises clean skin. My skin definitely feels clean after using this. It promises soft, smooth skin. After three days, my mother already commented on how soft my face was. It promises portability. The day after I got it, I packed it up and brought it from New York to Atlanta, Georgia, then to Florida.

I haven't noticed any purging symptoms yet, but that may be due to the fact that I already have three acne cysts from that time of the month. My skin is a little sensitive, but so far I haven't had any major problems. I've noticed today that my skin looks a lot healthier. I haven't changed anything else in my skin care routine, so I figure it must be the Clarisonic. It's always been easy to skip washing my face every now and then, because it's such a chore, but now I don't think I'll ever forget! Using the Mia is really fun! :) I plan on getting the deep pore cleansing brush heads and the delicate brush heads as soon as I get home.

Overall, I think this is a really nice product. It isn't magic, it doesn't turn your skin beautiful overnight, but I think with time, this will be a really useful tool in keeping my skin looking great.

**Edit: Two Years Later**
I recently rediscovered my Clarisonic and I gotta say I don't know how I lived without it for two years. I'm obsessed. It keeps my skin soft and fresh, and when I'm using it religiously, I don't break out.
I use it with a Dr. Lewinn by Kinerase face cleanser and Aveeno moisturizer, and I love it so much!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2011 5:05:00 PM More reviews by stormV301

YAY!!! My Clarisonic Mia arrived in the post yesterday, so I got to use it for the first time this evening after taking off my make up. I got mine from Amazon UK when they were on offer for around £72!!! Bargain - sadly I think they have gone up to the normal £120 on there now, but keep an eye out if you are thinking of getting one as they may have them on offer again.

So after the first use, my face definately felt good - time will tell whether it is any better than the Sisley face brush I have been using for the past year. I am almost certain it will be better!! ha! Buut will keep you posted :)

I am using my Mia with Elemis Tri Enzyme face wash in the morning, and with Elemis Sensitive cleansing face wash in the evening after taking off my makeup.

Let the test for me begin!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2011 10:33:00 AM More reviews by luvmyface11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I absolutely LOVE my MIA!!!! I have (had) oily skin in some areas such as my checks and nose but am relatively dry around my mouth and normal on my forehead... (I know a hot mess) so you can imagine my skin care regimen has to be strict!!! When I first starting using the MIA I was a little skeptical as I did have two breakouts on my cheeck but it may have been due to my make up so not really sure but what I can say now is that those breakouts are completly gone from my face!!!! I also suffer from post acne scars which have left brown marks on my face... ughhhh... well with the help of the MIA my marks are beginning to fade and I have only been using it for about 3 weeks now... I use it twice a day with my BIORE face cleanser and I use toner and moisturizer after. Ladies and gents even if you have oily skin as I do, please please please do not skip moisturizing!!! It will balance out your skin and reduce the formation of oil!!! Since using the MIA I have seen a significant change in the way my face looks and the tone of it. I have this glow to my face now and I feel confident enough that I dont even wear foundation anymore!!! I would definately tell EVERYONE to get this product. It is a little expensive but so worth the INVESTMENT of clear and beautiful skin!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2011 9:02:00 AM More reviews by Jpain96

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

A few years ago, I tried out the Clarisonic once at Sephora. Fell in love. It cleared out half of my clogged pores in one go. Couldn't afford it though. THEN I bought it this year!!! Went through 6 weeks of purging (which sucked), but stuck to it and after 6 weeks of regular use, I am frequently stopped and told that my "skin is glowing". Love it.

For ppl who have sensitive skin, use once every other day for the first 2 or 3 weeks to let your skin get used to it, then try using once a day. I have super sensitive skin (can't even have a mask on during facials) and am now able to use this morning and night. Don't give up after 30 days, some ppl take 6 weeks of purging, but it's worth it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2011 1:27:00 AM More reviews by cpacifica

I always thought my desert island product would be sun screen but after using the Mia for the last month, this has taken the crown. I'm not sure what I ever did without it. I LOVE this little gadget and am buying one for my sister for Christmas. In the first few days my skin glowed and there was an immediate improvement in texture - I couldn't believe how soft it felt. I am acne prone and should advise that after the first week I went through about 10 days of breakouts but after reading reviews, understand that this is a common experience. I stuck with it and my skin is clearing up dramatically and looking better than it has in ages. I use a toner/cleanser after washing my face and when washing manually, no matter how thoroughly, I was always disappointed by how much make-up residue there was on the cotton ball - and I don't wear that much make up. After cleansing with the Mia - nothing - the cotton is as white as fresh snow. My skin feels oh so soft, refreshed and clean, clean clean! I look forward to my morning and evening cleansing ritual and consider it a treat. Also when I was trying to decide which machine in the Clarisonic line to buy I looked for comparison reviews to help with my choice and couldn't find many. Thinking that my fellow gentle readers might be in the same situation I thought I'd add that although I've not used the Classic or Plus and can't compare, I'm glad I went with this little gem instead of it's pricer siblings. It's delivered fantastic results, easy to travel with and I couldn't be happier. I must confess that I am curious to try the body brush that only comes with the Plus but absolutely no regrets - I have a good loofa. I do use the Mia on my neck and décolletage and it works a treat. I take the brush off every night and let it and the hand unit air dry completely. They say to do this once a week, but I think it stays cleaner and more hygienic done nightly. So so happy with this product. One final thought, over the last week I've been testing a nightly Manuka honey mask for my acne and am really pleased with the results. Mia + Manuka = TLF for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2011 10:39:00 PM More reviews by emilybarb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My skin was never super acne-prone, but every once in a while I'd get a giant, ugly zit in the middle of my face. I also had a bunch of small bumps on my forehead and blackheads around my lips, nose, and eye brows. My skin acted terribly to this product for the first month and a half. My skin wasn't used to the rigorous treatment of the brush so it made my skin extremely dry. It also caused a giant breakout on my face, but, after the breakout, I realized that this product was bringing all of the bad toxins and blackheads to the surface of my face. My skin is AMAZING now. The Clarisonic Mia didn't hide or push away the gross dirt and bacteria, it brought it to the surface and got rid of it. I no longer have those annoying bumps, blackheads, or even discoloration that I had before. My pores are almost invisible and I've gotten a lot of complements on my skin. I would totally recommend this product to EVERYONE

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2011 4:23:00 PM More reviews by AlexAlexAlex

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Really works as a gentle exfoliator on my dry, sensitive skin. I can use the very gentle Cetaphil cleanser for dry skin with this, and feel like I am getting a deep clean without tearing all the moisture from my face. It also helps my skinceuticals serum absorb better.

but BEWARE: you will probably break out the first week you use it. Push thorough and it will clear up.

All in all, totally worth the investment. I know the clarasonic website has sales from time to time (my mom got two mias, for my two sisters, for $60 on cyber monday), so look out for those.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/16/2011 5:09:00 PM More reviews by stechi13

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was disappointed with this product, my skin did not feel any different after using it. My face felt cleaner after washing it with a washcloth compared to this $150 contraption. I have acne and some reviews said that it helped with blackheads and acne. I saw no difference. Everybody also said it felt great on their skin-It just felt like I was taking a brush and dusting it over my skin-with water dripping all over the place. I understand everybody's skin is different and I wanted to like this after all the hype. But for me, there was no difference and for the expense, its definitely not worth it.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2011 6:44:00 PM More reviews by km1704

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

EDIT: I've completely stopped using this product. No desire to whatsoever. I feel that my go-to exfoliating cleanser (Clarins - orange one?) is sufficient and I find the Mia to be intimidating... I will reiterate that this might be good if you have super coarse/thick skin with lots of oil or acne. Not for me. (Oh yeah, and I still have a broken capillary near my nose thanks to the Mia...)

Ugh... Okay. Sometimes I get carried away trying new products (and finding things "wrong" with my face) only to then realize that less is sometimes a LOT more.

I don't regret buying this because it was something I could afford (I got an additional friends/fam sephora discount, so it came to about $100). So, not much lost there.

But I have to admit... It doesn't do what I thought it would! Now, to give some background, I never had horrible acne at all (nowhere close), but I've always had blackheads on my nose (easily covered by make-up, but still) and since moving to Manhattan 3 years ago, my skin has gotten..dirtier, and I've been getting more of the odd pimple here and there (chin mostly). I also have dry skin, (and as it turns out, fragile skin, but I'll get to that in a minute).

I really, really thought this would eliminate my ever having to go for a facial and completely clear up my pores. This, it did not. Yes, I had the initial purge, and actually my skin was quite irritated after the first couple of times. (It made me realize just how sensitive and delicate my skin is. I assumed I was "normal" but I imagine that since other people are able to use this once a day (or even TWICE?!) I must not be the norm.)

So I started spacing out my usage (now about 3 times a week, max, or even less) to compensate for that. (I was getting sore and red around my mouth and chin).

One definite con: I now seem to have more clogged pores around my nose ( around the nostrils, where I've always had slight issues, but these are weird, larger clogs/whiteheads). When I scrub, it leads to broken capillaries so out of paranoia I refuse to touch that area now. I also think that the clogged pores were caused by scrubbing there for the first time, like, ever which increased oil production... I would wake in the morning and feel oil around my nose which has never happened to me, I have very dry skin. So I'm hoping if I stop scrubbing there they'll go away...

The definite neutrals: My pores elsewhere aren't any smaller, stubborn blackheads on my nose are still there, and while I'm happy the pimples from the initial purge on my chin are gone, it's not like my skin there is totally clear (again, blackheads.)

A few pros: I DO like that this makes my skin feel really, really clean afterward. It's kind of a fun beauty "gadget" and the ritual is cool, I guess.

But yeah, overall I'm unimpressed and disappointed. It may work well if you have REALLY oily skin, lots of acne and/or wear a ton of makeup (I wear concealer and bronzer but rarely foundation). I guess I shouldn't have really messed with a "good" thing because my skin is no better after using the MIA.

ALSO: really important to use this with caution. I sort of went ahead and did exactly as the instructions said, because I was so encouraged by all the glowing reviews. But ease into it if you have sensitive skin. You could break capillaries or otherwise do damage that may even be irreversible (I now have one broken capillary near my nostril thanks to MIA and no idea if it'll ever go away. Trying not to dwell on it, hah.)

And I agree with another reviewer, I needed to use it longer than a month to truly tell how it worked, and so I missed the 30 day money back guarantee deal.

Will edit this in a few months if I notice any change.