September 2, 2014 | 1966 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Acne Wash

rated 2 of 5 on 7/31/2008 4:49:00 AM More reviews by kettyserene

I haven't used thsi product in a very long time but since I just recently found MUA, I want to review this.

I don't know why this is dermatologist reccommended, this product sucked.
--Didn't work to clear up my acne.
--Dried up my skin
--Felt/smelled like dish liquid. No tingling to tell me it worked.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2008 1:01:00 AM More reviews by TwoPointers

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The beauty of this product is that it contains salycic acid. That helps exfoliate the outer "yucky" skin cells to help reveal clear skin.

That being said, I would NOT use this if I had any type of dry skin problem. I have super oily skin and I need daily exfoliating, either with something with SA or otherwise (I use Paula's Choice stuff too occasionally). Once you get over the "bump" as someone said their derm told them, and your skin has managed to slough off all the nasty stuff, you are in for smooth sailing with clean, soft skin.

Again, this is NOT a cleanser if you have any type of problem with drieness. I can definitely see how some said it made their skin crack. But if you have oily or super oily skin and need some strong stuff, this is the product for you!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2008 11:21:00 PM More reviews by eq2008

I don't know why Allure magazine gave this one the Award. I hated it! Using this for your face is like using Dish Washing Liquid for your face...I don't think I want to do that!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2008 10:47:00 PM More reviews by AlanaBanana6

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my HG cleanser. It was reccommended by my derm, and at first I hated it. It dried out my skin and seemed to break out more. When I questioned her about it, she told me to give it a few more weeks and that my skin was probably just adjusting (I am also on rx Benzaclin-which I LOVE.) She was right, and within a matter of about 3 weeks I saw major improvement in my skin. It feels so clean and fresh, and removes all make-up (although I don't reccommend using it for eye make-up as it does sting if you get it in your eyes.) At first the scent bothered me a bit too, but now I actually like it..kind of weird! The only annoying thing about it is the packaging...it has a pump top and no matter how many times I try to "lock it" it seems to re-open in my suitcase or bag. Now when I travel, I either put some in a travel size bottle or just put it in a small zip-lock bag to prevent leaking.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/28/2008 10:42:00 PM More reviews by N123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like this cleanser. Given, I don't have acne, so I really just use it to prevent the occasional pimple, which it does work pretty well. It doesn't dry out my skin, and I don't love the smell, but it doesn't last on your skin or anything.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/28/2008 8:54:00 AM More reviews by maxlightmusic

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

Dried out my skin until it cracked and peeled.
Horrible, over-whelming smell.
Made my eyes water just by the smell.
Didn't do anything to my acne.
Probably made it worse, I hate this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2008 12:29:00 AM More reviews by drummagirl65

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This cleanser works really well for me. My skin feels so clean and soft after using it. I don't have any residue on my face afterwards, and it doesn't dry it out. It doesn't seem to have a huge effect on my acne though, maybe just clearing it up a little from dirt and whatever else accumulates on my face daily that would worsen it or cause small pimples. It lasts a long time because I find that half a pump is all I need each time I use it. Overall it is a great cleanser, just not the best acne product. I would definitely buy again.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2008 1:18:00 AM More reviews by MAS520

I was not expecting much from this cleanser, and I was surprised! It helped purge a lot of my clogged pores and it helped smooth out my skin. I used this cleanser 2x a day with PTR's clarifying glycolic at night. I was so excited to see that it was working, but after a couple of weeks, it totally dried out my skin. It have an oily t-zone with normal cheeks (combo skin), so it might have been the fact that I was using AHAs in combo with the 2% salicylic acid found in this wash. It was just too drying and harsh for my skin. Too bad, I was starting to think this could have been my HG cleanser. If anyone knows a good cleanser for combo skin with clogged pores and some white heads let me know!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/3/2008 1:25:00 AM More reviews by civicbabe627

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product has dried out my skin so bad!
I haven't noticed a difference in my zits... I don't get many, but using this hasn't made them any less frequent.
I won't be buying this product again, just too harsh for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/1/2008 4:29:00 PM More reviews by KellyAnne8

Too harsh for my skin. Very apparent medicine-y smell.

When I had horrible skin in my teens this might have worked well, but as a 25 year old with changing combination skin (read: aging process has started) this stripped my skin and changed the texture to rough and red. Not quite sure of my impetus behind this purchase.