Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

3.9

Active Ingredients: Dimethicone (1.2%) Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone/ Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trisiloxane. ---------------------------------------------------- COMPARISON: SmashBox Photo Finish Primer ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract.

on 10/8/2009 1:57:00 PM

i really didnt like this product the first time..but i think it was because it has gone really liquid-y under some heat. I tried it a second time and I am amazed at how it covers and glided over my flakes. I love to use it with my mineral foundation. you really dont need alot. it is best to wait for any sunscreen or lotion to dry before putting this on or else the products will roll off. this trumps smashbox !

on 10/8/2009 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Before I broke down and bought Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel (I hate even typing the name. It's embarrassing. I don't want to admit to Monistat or chafing...), I had loads of questions. First things first, in what aisle do you find this crap? Second, how much was it? Third, how embarrassed was I going to be in the check-out line? Well, I found it, and I can't really remember what aisle it was in, so I'm sorry if you have the same question I did. I also forgot how much it ran me up... somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.99-7.99$, maybe? And I sucked up the embarrassment and I lived, because this is a good primer.
I need primer because I am absolutely, positively religious about applying sunscreen every single day and I have found that even though sunscreen manufacturers claim that their face sunscreen doesn't leave a residue... it does ('Sup, Neutrogena!). Applying foundation on top of freshly 'screened skin is a nightmare. It's patchy. It's greasy. It's gross. Ew. A pea-sized dab of this covers my face with siliconed smoothness. Instead of patchy UVA-blocking grease chemicals, my pre-makeuped face feels powdery yet quite smooth. I've used many different foundations in different formulas, from powders to liquids to creams, and they all apply nicely over Monistat Anti-Chafing Powder Gel. I love it. Except the feeling I get when I'm in the check-out line.

on 10/7/2009 10:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Ok, I never ever thought I would replace my MOM as a primer but in search of that softer matte, flawless finish I bought this- mainly because it was the cheapest "primer" at the store. A pea size does my whle face including eyelids- no scent and no color. Leaves a dry yet silky smooth finish. My makeup applies nicer and looks better plus it stays perfect all day! Perfectly flawless and fresh. I even think I may be able to use a lighter foundation because my face looks that good. (currently I use Revlon Colorstay) I have oily skin and this will not keep me shine free forever (nothing does) but I only really get "glowy" (and thats after 7-8 hours) not super shiny- except for maybe on my chin but all I have to do is blot -No powder touch ups needed since my makeup looks that good. Not sure if it will perform quite as well in the heat and humidity of summer. But right now this is a must have for me.
NOTE- for all thse who are skeptical and don't want to use "vag cream" on their face this is NOT "vag cream" it is a silcone based "protectant". Read the label - its intended use is an anti- chafing gel for inner thighs, under breasts, under arms etc.... don't let the name Monistat scare you off.

on 10/5/2009 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is very similar to Lancome LA BASE PRO. I am attracted to this due to the price. I mixed it with liquid foundation, and the foundation immediately turn very light on skin, which is a plus. I am using NYX the Make Up and studio fix separately. I use this primer and the two, well, it feels great, it looks a little bit better, smooth and even, but it's not wow. (FYI, i don't like the MakeUp and Studio Fix that much, just that I bought it, and I need to finish it.) So, i don't know if it's the foundations or what. I am not very surprised.
Update: the dimethicone or whatever clogs my pores! continued >>

on 10/4/2009 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

When my mineral makeup settled into my fine lines on my forehead (how embarassing) I thought I'd look into using a primer. I'd never used one before but after reading the reviews here I found myself in the feminine hygiene aisle picking up a tube of this gel. How wonderful! My makeup slid on effortlessly, stayed where it was supposed to, and fine lines were nowhere to be found! Also, I am very prone to breakouts but lo and behold-- nothing! I used this on my wedding day and my pictures look natural and amazing. I would repurchase but I don't see myself ever running out of this as I am lazy and only bother to use this for special occasions.

on 9/30/2009 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This made my skin absolutely, silky soft - just like the other ladies did. It held my makeup great. I'm in high school and my school day lasts at least 9 hours every day. My m/u looked pretty decent by the time I washed my face, which was at late night. I didn't have any extra breakouts at all (I wash my face with the Biore Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser and it washes away all my m/u).

I'm having issues with picking whether this deserves 3 or 4 lippies though. I've never used a primer before, so this is basically my first one. I have VERY OILY skin, and though this has a silicone that's supposed to keep oil from getting to the surface, I was VERY oily within probably ... 5 hours? The thing is, my oil wasn't too noticeable and my skin wasn't a great big grease-ball, but it sure felt like it did! I don't normally blot throughout my school day b/c I am lazy, so I know how my skin feels by the end of the day. And using this made me feel horrible, I had to use 3 or 4 blotting sheets, usually I only need 2. I used it for about a month, but have since stopped.

on 9/30/2009 10:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I read about this powder gel a couple of days ago on this website. At first I thought Monistat?! That's in the wrong category for primers. After reading a few reviews and searching a few other sites, I decided to give it a try. I told my mom about it and she went to Walmart today and got us both a tube. I tried it tonight (just over my makeup since I haven't washed my face for bed yet.) I'm really impressed already. It made the fine lines disappear under my eyes. I even tried it on the back of one hand and it looks much smoother than the other hand. We'll see how it does tomorrow when I put it on before my makeup. Keeping my fingers crossed until then...
here's a pic...
Full Size Image

I tried it under my right eye and not the left. Virtually no lines under my right eye. I did not edit this pic at all (proof with the oily skin and messy brows lol.)
Update: I tried it again the next morning on a clean face and didn't get the same results of smoothing out wrinkles. I've used it occasionally since but it hasn't been life changing lol.

on 9/28/2009 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Cool

My friend was trying to get show me the benefits of a primer (she uses Smashbox herself, but will only use it on rare occasions when she has to look flawless) but Smashbox was just WAY too expensive then I found these reviews.

So far, I"ve used it for couple of days and to say my skin is oily is a total understatement, but this actually made a difference! I've only had to blot once today and its already noon!! (oh, I've also just started using Makup for ever, duo matt) and my skin looks amazing! But after reading more of the reviews, maybe i'll just use this every once in a while instead of everyday like I was planning on...I breakout easily...so far nothing's gone wrong yet, but I don't want to end up hating this. Will try to remember to update later.

on 9/23/2009 9:54:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This product is very similar to Smashbox Photo Finish Primer. For my skin, I thought that while it did make my face incredibly soft, it took away the "life" from my face. It looked too dry once I put foundation over it (and I tried powder, cream, and liquid). My face was just "flat." My makeup did smooth over it, but I thought I looked better, "fresher" and more alive without this primer. It didn't break-me-out, which is good, because a lot of primers do.
I feel this is very comparable to the Smashbox primer, but I am not thrilled with that one either. I am still on my quest for a great primer. I've just heard about a Clarins one, so that's where I am going next.

on 9/23/2009 4:20:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

There isn't much I can add that hasn't already been mentioned by other reviewers, but I'll chime in anyway about how great this stuff is. Definitely HG primer .... after using Pure Luxe original eraser ($16 for 10 ml) for for several years as both a primer and eraser, I decided to give the Monistat a shot.

Not only is it dirt cheap, but it works just as well, or even better than the PL eraser (which in my experience, tends to dry out pretty quickly). I use it under my makeup as a primer, which gives me an "airbrushed look", and over my foundation and powder under my eyes to fill in little fine lines. It lasts all day, and seems to help control my extremely oily skin as well. Although I've not tried all the primers available out there, I don't think I'll ever bother as I'm so happy with this one!

Popular Primer/ Correctors