L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

3.4

cyclohexasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, silica, acrylates copolymer, disodium stearoyl glutamate, aluminum hydroxide { /- may contain CI 77891/ titanium dioxide/ CI 77491/ iron oxides} FIL D30587/2

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I have tried a few foundation primers in the past (Smashbox, MUFE, and Rimmel), and I must say that this primer is a great value for what you're getting.
Yes, its in a jar, which can cause some hygenic concerns, however I'm not sure if any other reviewers have mentioned, use a plastic spatula to get the product out. I know Sally's or any other beauty supply carries disposable spatulas for pretty cheap, or you can always buy a metal cosmetic spatula as well.
I have pretty oily skin that's breakout prone, and I have very visible pores. I do think its a little thick for a primer however I feel like it makes my skin feel a lot smoother and my pores a lot less visible. Only a small amount needs to be used or it'll start feeling entirely TOO heavy.
Overall, one of the better drugstore primers I have used and I would definitely purchase again.

on 12/21/2010 11:23:00 PM

Totally on the fence with this one, as it is my first and I have nothing to compare it to. What I can say is that does apply smoothly and I see my foundation covering slightly better, with less emphasis on my dry spot that I try to hide. However considering this is a drugstore product this is rather pricey considering the size of the jar. I know that everyone always whines that products in tubs or jars are not hygenic but as long as your hands are washed and cleaned I don't see a problem. Overall this product is worth a shot but I would like to see what else is out there in terms of facial primers.

on 12/21/2010 10:35:00 PM

This primer was SO thick I felt like I had on layers and layers of makeup! I use another brand of primer that can only be purchased online, so I decided to give this one a try because it was cheaper and available in town. I also use Clinique Acne Solutions foundation. I hated this primer. It was really thick. I have normal/oily and acne prone skin so maybe if your skin is really dry, you might like it. I like my primer to not really be felt, and the consistency was just weird. I used it twice and returned it.

on 12/20/2010 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is the first time I've used it, but I have used many primers before and never found one that was amazing. I have oily, acne-prone skin and this kept me matte all day (granted it is winter but I'm impressed). It also made my skin luminous--not like crazy, but it was nice and it looked real. I would recommend this if you have used other primers and not been impressed. I've tried the mac primer, smashbox, DHC...probably more but those are the ones that I remember! I gave it a 3 for price because it is a very small amount for the price I think. You dont need much but it would be nice to have more.

on 12/19/2010 9:33:00 PM

When I first bought this I didn't really see a difference and I was scared that I had just wasted my money because it is kinda pricey for a drugstore product. But I noticed that when i dont use it my face doesnt look as smooth...it is subtle but i can tell. Its an okay product but i feel like theres better out there. So basically, Im not sure if I would repurchase this because it didnt make a big difference and I feel like I could find a better product.

on 12/19/2010 8:35:00 PM

I love this primer! It's about the consistency of mashed potatoes, but it does a great job covering pores. To the reviewer below, you have to let it dry at least 5-10 minutes before you apply foundation, not immediately after or it will slide around. Will repurchase.

on 12/19/2010 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

this felt really nice and smooth on my skin, and it made my skin look quite matte for a while. The problem was that when i tried to put foundation over it, it caused the foundation to slide around and it wouldn't stay put on my face. I haven't tried many primers because i prefer just using foundation over moisturizer, it looks more natural on me. i wouldn't buy this again.

on 12/19/2010 1:12:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This product makes my skin feel so soft and beautiful. It is "ok" on the oil-controlling side, and does keep my foundation on the whole day. I do not apply this to my whole face though, because I felt it clogged some of my pores. I only appy on the areas around my nose. Although I believe that this might be the product that broke me out, I cannot help but going back to it, it makes my skin looks flawless.

on 12/18/2010 10:33:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

So amazing! It makes my face so smooth and silky. Can barely feel it. It's not expensive at all, but it isn't much. However, I don't need to use a lot. Like, a few dabs is fine for my whole face. It looks really natural, and is NOT chunky OR cakey. I have found my HG.

on 12/18/2010 2:15:00 AM

PROS: Fills in pores/light wrinkles well. Silky smooth (but not oily) texture. This is a bit less oily than Clarins' version of this. Very inexpensive compared to Clarins' version. I think this even helps my HG foundation (Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer) last longer. Keeps me more matte, but not dried up at all. Most things that make my makeup last longer or mattify my skin at all cause me to look crepey/dry/wrinkled. This does not dry me up or cause me to look more wrinkled. It doesn't break me out like other primers have.

CONS: Some won't like that it comes in a jar that can be contaminated with fingers. I guess it would be even better if the color wasn't so cool-toned and was more neutral (I'm NC10-15.) But I never see it as pink once I apply it to my skin.

APPLICATION TIPS: Wait about at least a minute before applying foundation so it has time to set. For eyes, I prefer an eye cream instead. I like to pat this into the biggest pores and then smooth the extra around to smooth everything out. Except for my pores, I use this minimally.

REMOVAL TIPS: If you are prone to clogging, you may want to remove this with a cleansing oil before using your regular cleanser. I do.

ALTERNATES: You can pay a lot more for something similar that will leave you slightly oily: Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch. AND Mally Beauty makes "Perfect Prep Poreless Primer," (the pink one, not the clear one) is very similar to this. It makes me even more "matte" and makes my makeup last even longer. (But it breaks me out every time I try it, and this one by L'oreal does not.)

Popular Primer/ Correctors