L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

3.4

cyclohexasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, silica, acrylates copolymer, disodium stearoyl glutamate, aluminum hydroxide { /- may contain CI 77891/ titanium dioxide/ CI 77491/ iron oxides} FIL D30587/2

on 1/7/2011 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I was really excited to try this product after seeing in a magazine. It was nothing special.

The pot really annoyed me because it was hard to use your finger to get product with long finger nails. I then started using a spatula. It created a nice base, however did not wear as well as I though it would.

Too bad...

on 1/7/2011 10:12:00 AM

Okay so i was looking for a good primer to try out and i found this cute little pot so i decided to try it out since L'Oreal is usually good quality. However, i am very disappointed with this product. It's expensive to say how small the jar is and trust me it doesn't last long. Now the actual product is a very nice looking pinky moose like substance, it doesn't really smell and it glides onto your skin invisibly and makes your skin extremely soft. I loved it for putting it on and makeup goes on very easy over the top, however i have to say i noticed no difference what so ever than from not using it. I tried it for 2 weeks and i also on two occasions tested it by using it on only one half of my face. Unfortunately there was absolutely no difference, my makeup didn't stay on any longer or look even the smallest bit better or smoother than without. I'm quite upset that i spent that much money on such a waste of time. I definitely won't be buying it again.

on 1/4/2011 11:37:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This is quite an interesting product. It does even skintone and fill in fine wrinkles, leaving a smooth matted look. The only con is that is doesn't last long as it rubs off easily, so if I apply foundation over this it ruins the effect and rubs most of it off in the end. This would be handly for people with good complexions to wear alone or over sunscreen. .

on 12/30/2010 1:54:00 PM

I was hoping to like this because of the great price, but this primer is just too thick to apply, and it doesn’t control shine very well on me. I'm sticking with the Smashbox primer for now.

on 12/29/2010 2:59:00 PM

Basically, I'm not sure if I like it or not. The first couple times I used it, it was wonderful. I was using my friend's jar that was almost finished, and so I was only using tiny little bits and really trying to make it go the distance. Then when I bought it for myself, the second time I used it, I found I looked EXTREMELY cakey and flaky. Which is weird, because this stuff makes your skin crazy soft.

Since then I stopped using it. I'm afraid to give it another shot because I only ever do makeup when I'm going somewhere. My skin can be unpredictable, so I try to give it a break from makeup when I know I'm just staying home. I thought maybe it was because my skin gets really weird when the seasons change. (I live in Canada, and fully experience all 4 seasons. Sometimes makes my skin and makeup routines really difficult because I have to change them so often.)

PROS!!!!
I REALLY liked that it made my skin so soft. I always have trouble with my skin being oily and flaky at the same time. (By that, I mean in the same place. Like my T-zone, specifically. Oily underneath, but when I touch my fingers to it, my skin flakes off. This product stopped that.) I also really liked that it did wonders to even out the redness I have in my cheeks. This, plus my foundation, gave me an even complexion. I didn't notice much about minimizing my pores, I wasn't paying attention to that. Easy to find, I can just walk to the store 5 minutes away and pick it up, instead of having to find a ride to the Sephora. Unlike with products in a tube, if you scoop out too much initially, you can just stick it back in the jar! No waste, I love that. :)

CONS!!!!
It started being randomly cakey and flaky. Why? I have no idea. I didn't change anything. And the jar is rather small for the cost.

If I can figure out why it did that cakey / flaky thing on me, and avoid having it happen, I think this product would be a pretty good buy. As of right now I'm unsure if I'll repurchase, or try something different. I'm not usually one to use primers on a daily basis (but I really should).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I have tried a few foundation primers in the past (Smashbox, MUFE, and Rimmel), and I must say that this primer is a great value for what you're getting.
Yes, its in a jar, which can cause some hygenic concerns, however I'm not sure if any other reviewers have mentioned, use a plastic spatula to get the product out. I know Sally's or any other beauty supply carries disposable spatulas for pretty cheap, or you can always buy a metal cosmetic spatula as well.
I have pretty oily skin that's breakout prone, and I have very visible pores. I do think its a little thick for a primer however I feel like it makes my skin feel a lot smoother and my pores a lot less visible. Only a small amount needs to be used or it'll start feeling entirely TOO heavy.
Overall, one of the better drugstore primers I have used and I would definitely purchase again.

on 12/21/2010 11:23:00 PM

Totally on the fence with this one, as it is my first and I have nothing to compare it to. What I can say is that does apply smoothly and I see my foundation covering slightly better, with less emphasis on my dry spot that I try to hide. However considering this is a drugstore product this is rather pricey considering the size of the jar. I know that everyone always whines that products in tubs or jars are not hygenic but as long as your hands are washed and cleaned I don't see a problem. Overall this product is worth a shot but I would like to see what else is out there in terms of facial primers.

on 12/21/2010 10:35:00 PM

This primer was SO thick I felt like I had on layers and layers of makeup! I use another brand of primer that can only be purchased online, so I decided to give this one a try because it was cheaper and available in town. I also use Clinique Acne Solutions foundation. I hated this primer. It was really thick. I have normal/oily and acne prone skin so maybe if your skin is really dry, you might like it. I like my primer to not really be felt, and the consistency was just weird. I used it twice and returned it.

on 12/20/2010 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is the first time I've used it, but I have used many primers before and never found one that was amazing. I have oily, acne-prone skin and this kept me matte all day (granted it is winter but I'm impressed). It also made my skin luminous--not like crazy, but it was nice and it looked real. I would recommend this if you have used other primers and not been impressed. I've tried the mac primer, smashbox, DHC...probably more but those are the ones that I remember! I gave it a 3 for price because it is a very small amount for the price I think. You dont need much but it would be nice to have more.

on 12/19/2010 9:33:00 PM

When I first bought this I didn't really see a difference and I was scared that I had just wasted my money because it is kinda pricey for a drugstore product. But I noticed that when i dont use it my face doesnt look as smooth...it is subtle but i can tell. Its an okay product but i feel like theres better out there. So basically, Im not sure if I would repurchase this because it didnt make a big difference and I feel like I could find a better product.