July 30, 2014 | 2144 users online

Primer/ Corrector - L'Oreal - Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2010 8:29:00 PM More reviews by KelseyP

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

LOVE this stuff. I hate silicone slippery primers, and this stuff is a little thick but smoothes easily onto my face, controls oily skin, and smoothes over my little laugh lines and pores for a perfect face. I have had no bad reactions to it with skin break outs, etc. so this is a perfect product for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2010 8:17:00 PM More reviews by kielnico

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This review is actually for the L'Oreal Base Magique, which I believe is the same product but marketed under a different name in this part of the world (SE Asia).

I LOVE THIS PRIMER/BASE! First time I ever used anything that really made a difference in controlling my VERY oily skin. There's a trick to applying it though -- use too much and it will start to "pill", so try to pat it on instead of rubbing it in. It's not supposed to sink into skin like moisturizer but it needs to be spread evenly on top of the skin's surface, where it can do its magic. Skin feels velvety and make-up glides on -- best of all, no breakouts! I use a small plastic spatula to get the product out of the jar, so that solves the hygiene issue for me (I suppose cotton swabs would work too). I read somewhere that you also need to keep the jar tightly closed, which is easy since the cap has an inner plastic lining which keeps it sealed.

Highly recommended for oily skinned folks -- I've been trying oil control products for years and this is the only one that I can swear by. I hope L'Oreal never stops making this product, but I'm hoarding a few jars just in case, good thing they're having a 25% off sale now!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2010 More reviews by nsr

I had heard so many great things about this primer that I had to try it. I tried to like it but I really don't see what the big draw is. It is difficult to spread. I am 50 and I really don't want anything that makes me pull at my skin. It is thick and I thought it would melt a little in my hands before spreading..not so. Even though it is less expensive than department store primers, it is still expensive for a drugstore brand. Didn't really see any improvement. As a matter of fact, all that rubbing to spread the product actually made my skin more red! I also gave the packaging a low rating. I prefer a packaging where I can either squeeze out or pump out a product. Wouldn't buy this again.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/27/2010 1:25:00 PM More reviews by elphaba98

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product! It makes my skin look flawless! It's easy enough to apply. It goes on over my moisturizer and before my mineral foundation. You guys know the drill!

Over the years, I've used Smashbox, MAC and several different powered primers, this is by far the best!

The container is horrible, but it's probably way too thick for a squeeze tube. It's why I gave it an over all score of 3 instead of 4.

I think I paid about $17 Canadian (we never seem to get BOGOs here), which probably makes it one of the cheaper primers, although it's not a very big container.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2010 12:40:00 AM More reviews by TinkerbellonCrack

I have been on the lookout for a product to replace my Smashbox Photo finish primer because I just cannot spend $36 per bottle- I go through it way too fast! If you are looking for a quick primer fix, this stuff is not bad, but the more I use it, the less I like it.

Price: $10 at Wal-Mart. I must say I don't know how long this jar will last me but it beats $36 any day.

Packaging: This is the downfall of this primer. It comes in a little 0.5 oz. jar. If you have long nails, it is really annoying to get the product out. I like that I can control how much I use at a time (vs. a pump where product can spurt out and go to waste) but there's got to be a neater, more hygienic way of marketing this.

Effect: This base is a pale pink, marshmallowy whip that smooths on like butter. I am hesitant to call it "whipped" or "mousse" because I think those products are such gimmicks because you're paying for, well, air in your makeup but this primer goes on pretty thick despite its fluffiness.

I dotted it on my t-zone, where I get the most shine and blended it away. The product texture is initially very pleasing but takes on a waxiness when applied to the face. While it kind of felt like an odd masklike layer, my face definitely had a matte finish. I added liquid foundation and powder on top and went about my day. After 9 hours, I still did not see shine and my foundation was in place.

My issue: I have SUPER normal skin. I've never had acne, no dryness, not too oily, etc. I applied a heavier layer of this stuff yesterday and MAN, did it clog my pores! Obviously you shouldn't spackle your face with makeup but I was really shocked because my skin can take anything. I've been using this product for 3 months now and this is the first time it happened.

I use the Smashbox Photo finish Light and I do prefer it to this L'Oreal one. There is just something off about this one. I'll keep looking for my (affordable) HG primer.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2010 6:50:00 PM More reviews by layla10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was really surprised how great this primer was considering it's a drugstore brand.
It had a really nice texture and glided onto my skin leave it with a nice satin matte finish, my foundation looked even and flawless. The only thing I didn't like was the packaging, because i don't like the idea of dipping my fingers into a jar rather than having a tube, just seems unsanitary. I bought a little mini spatula which is a whole lot better :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2010 9:41:00 AM More reviews by Bindi7

This is an amazing primer. I will not be using any other primer again!!! I love love love this! Firstly the pricing is not too bad.. £13.29 from Boots... I didn't mind though as i got it on the 3 for 2 offer. It is easy to use although the texture seems a little strange and almost sticky at first, but after applying a couple of times you soon get used to the consistency. The results are wonderful - nice smooth skin and controls oil. Exactly what i have always wanted in a primer! I have tried so many other primers (MAC, Clarins, Smashbox, Avon, Estee Lauder) but this is the absolute best. I used to be shiny by lunchtime, but now i'm using this primer, i only get a teeny bit of shine coming through :-) so so happy! I recommend this to everyone with combination/oily/very oily skin. It is a great great product and one that i cannot live without!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2010 12:02:00 PM More reviews by tasha56

This is the first primer I ever bought and I did not know what to expect.
I don't think that this makes my make up last any longer...But WOW this stuff totally cleared up my skin and took all the oiliness away! The only breakouts I have are during that time of the month... but you can't win all the time...

Will def repurchase.

Thank you MUA for introducing me to this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2010 11:35:00 PM More reviews by IhearHelloKitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This stuff is amazing!! I didn't have high hopes for it, my mother uses and loves it..so I got it at Ulta on a sale....I put it on in the morning and...it controls my oil ALL DAY!! Seriously!! I never had anything that actually controlled it to where I don't need to blot! And it makes my skin sooo soft and just better looking. Holy Grail Foundation Primer...oh yea. I will keep buying this. I love it!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2010 7:33:00 PM More reviews by psforever

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Basically, this product is really good for people with oily skin. It glides on smoothly, mattifies the skin, and fills in any lines you may have. You need to use the smallest amount. I got this as a sample in a magazine before I bought the full size and the small sample lasted me two tries. I tried it out 2 days in a row, both for parties, and it definitely made a difference in how long my makeup lasted and the oiliness of my skin. It definitely kept it nice looking for about 4-5 hours which I think is reasonable for any primer.

I have sensitive, oily skin and this did not break me out. I'm not sure what might be breaking people out but I think everyone has different skin that may react to things differently. As for the packaging being a sanitary issue, I think the best thing to do is make sure you wash your hands before dipping your finger in to the jar and putting the product on your face. Then again, that goes for everything you put on your face. Perhaps use a brush if you are having issues with the sanitary aspect of it. I am actually surprised at how well this works because I did not have high hopes for it.

UPDATE: I feel that this does break me out a little bit.