L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

3.4

cyclohexasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, silica, acrylates copolymer, disodium stearoyl glutamate, aluminum hydroxide { /- may contain CI 77891/ titanium dioxide/ CI 77491/ iron oxides} FIL D30587/2

on 12/19/2010 9:33:00 PM

When I first bought this I didn't really see a difference and I was scared that I had just wasted my money because it is kinda pricey for a drugstore product. But I noticed that when i dont use it my face doesnt look as smooth...it is subtle but i can tell. Its an okay product but i feel like theres better out there. So basically, Im not sure if I would repurchase this because it didnt make a big difference and I feel like I could find a better product.

on 12/19/2010 8:35:00 PM

I love this primer! It's about the consistency of mashed potatoes, but it does a great job covering pores. To the reviewer below, you have to let it dry at least 5-10 minutes before you apply foundation, not immediately after or it will slide around. Will repurchase.

on 12/19/2010 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

this felt really nice and smooth on my skin, and it made my skin look quite matte for a while. The problem was that when i tried to put foundation over it, it caused the foundation to slide around and it wouldn't stay put on my face. I haven't tried many primers because i prefer just using foundation over moisturizer, it looks more natural on me. i wouldn't buy this again.

on 12/19/2010 1:12:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This product makes my skin feel so soft and beautiful. It is "ok" on the oil-controlling side, and does keep my foundation on the whole day. I do not apply this to my whole face though, because I felt it clogged some of my pores. I only appy on the areas around my nose. Although I believe that this might be the product that broke me out, I cannot help but going back to it, it makes my skin looks flawless.

on 12/18/2010 10:33:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

So amazing! It makes my face so smooth and silky. Can barely feel it. It's not expensive at all, but it isn't much. However, I don't need to use a lot. Like, a few dabs is fine for my whole face. It looks really natural, and is NOT chunky OR cakey. I have found my HG.

on 12/18/2010 2:15:00 AM

PROS: Fills in pores/light wrinkles well. Silky smooth (but not oily) texture. This is a bit less oily than Clarins' version of this. Very inexpensive compared to Clarins' version. I think this even helps my HG foundation (Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer) last longer. Keeps me more matte, but not dried up at all. Most things that make my makeup last longer or mattify my skin at all cause me to look crepey/dry/wrinkled. This does not dry me up or cause me to look more wrinkled. It doesn't break me out like other primers have.

CONS: Some won't like that it comes in a jar that can be contaminated with fingers. I guess it would be even better if the color wasn't so cool-toned and was more neutral (I'm NC10-15.) But I never see it as pink once I apply it to my skin.

APPLICATION TIPS: Wait about at least a minute before applying foundation so it has time to set. For eyes, I prefer an eye cream instead. I like to pat this into the biggest pores and then smooth the extra around to smooth everything out. Except for my pores, I use this minimally.

REMOVAL TIPS: If you are prone to clogging, you may want to remove this with a cleansing oil before using your regular cleanser. I do.

ALTERNATES: You can pay a lot more for something similar that will leave you slightly oily: Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch. AND Mally Beauty makes "Perfect Prep Poreless Primer," (the pink one, not the clear one) is very similar to this. It makes me even more "matte" and makes my makeup last even longer. (But it breaks me out every time I try it, and this one by L'oreal does not.)

on 12/16/2010 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

LOL! If the reviewer below me runs out of this in a few weeks, it's no wonder she gave it such a low review! She's using WAY too much! I'm surprised her makeup doesn't slide right off! =) This primer is wonderful! I am very impressed with this. I have oily, acne-prone skin, and this helps fill in pores, reduces redness, and makes my makeup go on easily. I have a hard time with primers because they usually break me out or make my skin even more oily than it already is. This definitely reduced the number of times I needed to blot throughout the day, so that way nice. For the first time after using a primer, I actually NOTICED a difference right away. My makeup looked visibly better, It comes in a glass jar, which looks nice, although I would prefer something more hygienic. Oh well. It makes it easy to see how much you have left, and it's easy to use only what you need. I've used Smashbox Photofinish, which broke me out horribly, and a few samples from Sephora, which did the same. This stuff didn't at all, so I'm completely thrilled. If you haven't had luck with primers in the past, give this one a try!

on 12/16/2010 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Wouldn't recommend this, you get such a tiny amount that if you were to use it every day you would run out within a few weeks. It's in a pot instead of a bottle like most primers, and it's annoying to apply if your nails are on the longer side. Germs can sit in the pot as well, since you're putting your finger in there, and I find the formula to be dry and hard to apply evenly, possibly even a bit chunky. It doesn't do anything to combat oil or help my foundation go on evenly. I would rather use no primer instead of this one. Wouldn't recommend.

on 12/16/2010 6:39:00 AM

I use the monistat shafing gel everyday and I am satisfied. I also bought the Smashbox one last year and was very disappointed so my experience with primer is not a constant one.
I got studio secrets as a sample and used it three mornings in a row. I love it! First of all it does not have that greasy texture that other primer have, and it's easy to apply. I used it on my T-zone only. It made my makeup stay put for hours. Usually by the time I get to work I have to retouch everything.
I will certainly buy it after I run out of shafing gel (which is discontinued anyway)
It's a good alternative to higher end products which are not necessarily better. I recommand it.

**EDIT: I have noticed that if you use very little as some users say in this review, it tends to not work very well. You don't have to use half the jar, but you do need a little more than a trace of product. Anyway I do....

on 12/15/2010 9:39:00 PM

I love this product, it makes my pores less noticible. It lasts for a good amount of time. You only need a little bit, I put on a regular primer and then add this where I need it, which is for my pores. I highly recommend this!