September 3, 2014 | 1349 users online

Primer/ Corrector - L'Oreal - Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2010 9:39:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

Like many others I first tried this via a sample in a magazine. I liked it enough to buy it and also had a $2.00 off coupon, as well as the fact that my very expensive Clarin's Pore Perfector, was almost empty. I never loved that stuff though at that price, felt I almost had to use it up. Like this stuff, I really only use this over mu, with one small exception. I apply my entire face, then I use a little of this (previously used the Clarins) on my nose to blot shine and make pores less noticable. Yes I use powder, but this mattifies even more. I use a thin line in my "1" between my eyes. Many people seem to have an "11," the dreaded expression lines, while I just have the "1," I hate it nonetheless! The Clarins was actually noticable at times, under or over mu in that area, looked cakey, this looks much better. I then take a very thin brush and apply a little in my tear troughs. I have taken meticulous care of my skin and have worn sunscreen 365 days a yr for 15 yrs, and wear large sunglasses daily, so my skin is not showing a lot of aging, but I am prone to milia and they always show in my tt area or just nearby. I apply a teeny bit right under or around any that "show" and it minimizes the look of them. I was using Clarins for that, but this actually works better as it looks more natural, and the tint to it works better on me. I then apply a little lighter concealer than i use for my under eye area in general, over this, I mean head of a pin sized of both products, but makes a real difference.

I should add I have never used this for its intended purpose under foundation, but then I have never been one for primer used that way. I think this is a great product, lately also swiping a little bit across my forehead again after mu, looks smooth and stays matte longer. For the price this is not only comparable with a high end primer, to me its better

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2010 6:29:00 PM More reviews by kirstabelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this because I haven't tried many primers, just the Bare Escentuals one which I hated, and I wasn't sure I really needed one so didn't want to get an expensive one.

When I first used it all over my face over my moisturizer and under my foundation I did notice that it felt very nice on the skin, weightless. I did not have any trouble blending even though my skin is dry, maybe because I moisturize well? The texture reminds me of the maybelline mousse foundations and concealers, but a little bit more gummy feeling, it does not feel greasy at all.

Unfortunately this broke me out when I used it all over, and hardly anything breaks me out. I still use it, but just under my eyes where I need to wear moisturizer plus eye cream and foundation and two kinds of concealer (regular and yellow colored) to cover my dark circles. It does keep all the layers in place all day and stops it from settling into my lines and looking crepe-y or cakey. I actually think it helps lock in the moisture or something because usually my under eyes get so dry which only exacerbates the bad looking-ness.

I think this product works well, and the only reason I said I wouldn't buy it again is because I want to try the monistat anti-chafing stuff everyone talks about. If that's no good I will re-purchase this because it helps my under eye area look good and that's not easy haha!

I didn't give it the nighest rating just because it broke me out although, I think maybe all these silicone things might do that. Also couldn't give it a five because I don't think the jar is the best way to dispense the product. The stuff is thick and gets under your finger nails, and its not hygenic, especially since a little goes a long way so it lasts a long time and you just keep putting your fingers in over and over again... would like a tube or a pump please!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2010 9:22:00 AM More reviews by sallysellsseashells

SO FAR SO GOOD! I've tried primers in the past (Clairins, Tarte & BE) only to be let down. With the few I used, I didn't really notice any difference in my skin's appearance nor did they provide oil control or they didn't seem to make a huge impact with makeup. So, I figure it was a useless step I didn't need. Well, I hear buzz over this and wanted to try it out. For drugstore, it is rather expensive @ $12.99. I didn't want to splurge on another $30 primer with mediocre results.
APPLICATION: AFTER moisturizer and eye cream, I apply this primer. I personally didn't experience this being hard to blend into the skin. I'm combo/oily and would use a moisturizer first as it helps blend in the primer better. After applying the primer, I wait for about 5 minutes than proceed with makeup application.
RESULTS: Immediatley, I noticed my oily forehead was nice and matte and my pores were gone. However, my foundation looked a bit cakey but once my skin warmed up, everything seemed to settle in nicely and I looked airbrushed. My skin feels soft and not slippery. I hate the feeling of any cosmetic product on my skin and you can't even feel that it's on.
PACKAGING: I don't care for the tub like container. However, you do get a whole lot of product for the price. I was surprised to open the cover and not find a plastic cover over the opening. But, I guess this is too thick to put inside a tube. I will update with any breakout issues & the overall staying power of this. Being winter, I'm not sure how this will hold up makeup on hot days. For now, it gets a 5 rating.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2010 8:29:00 PM More reviews by KelseyP

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

LOVE this stuff. I hate silicone slippery primers, and this stuff is a little thick but smoothes easily onto my face, controls oily skin, and smoothes over my little laugh lines and pores for a perfect face. I have had no bad reactions to it with skin break outs, etc. so this is a perfect product for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2010 8:17:00 PM More reviews by kielnico

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This review is actually for the L'Oreal Base Magique, which I believe is the same product but marketed under a different name in this part of the world (SE Asia).

I LOVE THIS PRIMER/BASE! First time I ever used anything that really made a difference in controlling my VERY oily skin. There's a trick to applying it though -- use too much and it will start to "pill", so try to pat it on instead of rubbing it in. It's not supposed to sink into skin like moisturizer but it needs to be spread evenly on top of the skin's surface, where it can do its magic. Skin feels velvety and make-up glides on -- best of all, no breakouts! I use a small plastic spatula to get the product out of the jar, so that solves the hygiene issue for me (I suppose cotton swabs would work too). I read somewhere that you also need to keep the jar tightly closed, which is easy since the cap has an inner plastic lining which keeps it sealed.

Highly recommended for oily skinned folks -- I've been trying oil control products for years and this is the only one that I can swear by. I hope L'Oreal never stops making this product, but I'm hoarding a few jars just in case, good thing they're having a 25% off sale now!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2010 More reviews by nsr

I had heard so many great things about this primer that I had to try it. I tried to like it but I really don't see what the big draw is. It is difficult to spread. I am 50 and I really don't want anything that makes me pull at my skin. It is thick and I thought it would melt a little in my hands before spreading..not so. Even though it is less expensive than department store primers, it is still expensive for a drugstore brand. Didn't really see any improvement. As a matter of fact, all that rubbing to spread the product actually made my skin more red! I also gave the packaging a low rating. I prefer a packaging where I can either squeeze out or pump out a product. Wouldn't buy this again.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/27/2010 1:25:00 PM More reviews by elphaba98

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product! It makes my skin look flawless! It's easy enough to apply. It goes on over my moisturizer and before my mineral foundation. You guys know the drill!

Over the years, I've used Smashbox, MAC and several different powered primers, this is by far the best!

The container is horrible, but it's probably way too thick for a squeeze tube. It's why I gave it an over all score of 3 instead of 4.

I think I paid about $17 Canadian (we never seem to get BOGOs here), which probably makes it one of the cheaper primers, although it's not a very big container.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2010 12:40:00 AM More reviews by TinkerbellonCrack

I have been on the lookout for a product to replace my Smashbox Photo finish primer because I just cannot spend $36 per bottle- I go through it way too fast! If you are looking for a quick primer fix, this stuff is not bad, but the more I use it, the less I like it.

Price: $10 at Wal-Mart. I must say I don't know how long this jar will last me but it beats $36 any day.

Packaging: This is the downfall of this primer. It comes in a little 0.5 oz. jar. If you have long nails, it is really annoying to get the product out. I like that I can control how much I use at a time (vs. a pump where product can spurt out and go to waste) but there's got to be a neater, more hygienic way of marketing this.

Effect: This base is a pale pink, marshmallowy whip that smooths on like butter. I am hesitant to call it "whipped" or "mousse" because I think those products are such gimmicks because you're paying for, well, air in your makeup but this primer goes on pretty thick despite its fluffiness.

I dotted it on my t-zone, where I get the most shine and blended it away. The product texture is initially very pleasing but takes on a waxiness when applied to the face. While it kind of felt like an odd masklike layer, my face definitely had a matte finish. I added liquid foundation and powder on top and went about my day. After 9 hours, I still did not see shine and my foundation was in place.

My issue: I have SUPER normal skin. I've never had acne, no dryness, not too oily, etc. I applied a heavier layer of this stuff yesterday and MAN, did it clog my pores! Obviously you shouldn't spackle your face with makeup but I was really shocked because my skin can take anything. I've been using this product for 3 months now and this is the first time it happened.

I use the Smashbox Photo finish Light and I do prefer it to this L'Oreal one. There is just something off about this one. I'll keep looking for my (affordable) HG primer.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2010 6:50:00 PM More reviews by layla10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was really surprised how great this primer was considering it's a drugstore brand.
It had a really nice texture and glided onto my skin leave it with a nice satin matte finish, my foundation looked even and flawless. The only thing I didn't like was the packaging, because i don't like the idea of dipping my fingers into a jar rather than having a tube, just seems unsanitary. I bought a little mini spatula which is a whole lot better :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2010 9:41:00 AM More reviews by Bindi7

This is an amazing primer. I will not be using any other primer again!!! I love love love this! Firstly the pricing is not too bad.. £13.29 from Boots... I didn't mind though as i got it on the 3 for 2 offer. It is easy to use although the texture seems a little strange and almost sticky at first, but after applying a couple of times you soon get used to the consistency. The results are wonderful - nice smooth skin and controls oil. Exactly what i have always wanted in a primer! I have tried so many other primers (MAC, Clarins, Smashbox, Avon, Estee Lauder) but this is the absolute best. I used to be shiny by lunchtime, but now i'm using this primer, i only get a teeny bit of shine coming through :-) so so happy! I recommend this to everyone with combination/oily/very oily skin. It is a great great product and one that i cannot live without!!!!