October 24, 2014 | 1787 users online

Primer/ Corrector - L'Oreal - Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2010 1:59:00 AM More reviews by stauffer3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am 54 and an old looking 54 at that. Due to a combination of bad genes and neglect, when I turned fifty I found myself looking in the mirror at a woman who looked 60. Last summer bought the book about skin types and discovered that I was the worst skin type for aging--the same as Katherine Hepburn. Well, I followed the directions in "my chapter" and things were improving. I still felt that I did not apply foundation very well. Then I stunbled onto this L'Oreal primer in Walmart.
This stuff is absolutely wonderful. I have big pores. Some are so large that they cast their own shadows. From day one there was an immediate improvement in the look of my pores. I don't bother with foundation any more. I wear the Secret #1 primer with a light dusting Physician's folrmula mineral makeup. Family that came for Thanksgiving wanted to know what I was doing with my skin and that was when I was dead tired fom cooking and working and fixing up a rental house.
I love the little glass jar (short fingernails) and it lasted for 2 months. So, I think it is cheap.
In the morning I put on my Skin Effects Brightener and let it set for a minute or two, then the Olay Total Effects and let it set. Then the primer and let is set and then concealer and powder. Then I finish up with eye makeup. I have never been complemented on my skin until I started using this primer. I'd crawl across nails to get this if I had to.
By the way two months of the Skin Effects Brightener has faded 90% of the melasma I've hade for 30 years since the brith of my son and some age spots.. Now I just need to find a decent concealer.

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2010 5:01:00 AM More reviews by Ritagal09

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

What a great product! It keeps my oil at bay! The best face primer I've tried so far. I like it's odd texture; it isn't oily nor is it dry...the perfect medium. I will def repurchase this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2010 9:22:00 AM More reviews by chelsia

Can't believe I waited so long to try this stuff! It does exactly what it says & it helps me with my oily skin which is an added bonus! I love that I can wear this with or without makeup (sometimes I usually wear without makeup because it's just that great!) goes on so easily & even though the jar is so tiny, it does go a longgggg way! Good product for the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/4/2010 1:36:00 PM More reviews by allyson399

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm not really a fan of this. I usually get an oily t-zone and so I've been trying to find a primer to help my makeup stay on better and help with my pores. Anyway, this was fine I guess. I liked it better without putting anything on over it - just to even out my skin texture. Anyway I feel like this made my makeup more slippery on my skin and made me look more made-up. Also it was kind of expensive for a tiny pot of a drugstore brand product.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2010 7:56:00 AM More reviews by chvelarde

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just bought this product last night and applied this morning and holy velvety smoothness, Batman! I think the container is a little too small and it's hard to scoop out the product (would have rather had a tube). A little product goes a long way. I like the texture of the product. I use this with L'Oreal True Match makeup and I love the finish.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/3/2010 4:34:00 PM More reviews by ppinkrroses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

1. Definitly don't like the packaging. I prefer a pump, the pot is hard to get my finger in and the product always ends up under my nail, and I always get too much.

2. This doesn't work as a makeup primer. It doesn't make my makeup last longer or look better.

3. However, this works well on it's own without putting on any makeup over it. It makes my skin look smoother and my pores look smaller. It takes care of shine to an extent.

Overall, I wouldn't buy this again, and I wouldn't recommend it as a makeup primer.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2010 10:54:00 AM More reviews by phoenix511

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

A number of reviews I've read on this product (some here, some on other sites) complain its greasy or shimmery. Well...yeah, its a primer, it has silicone and such. Personally, the shimmer isn't a problem for me once I put on my foundation and powder.
I tried this after using Sally Hansen for about a year; that is also a good primer, but I got sick of the pumps literally firing the primer at me! At first I wasn't a fan of the jar for this primer, but it's turned out to be ok. A LITTLE GOES ALONG WAY. I just barely get a tiny bead's worth on the tip of my finger for each of my cheeks, my forehead, my chin/upper neck, and my nose/eyes. Obviously this tiny amount is meant to last (unless you can or want to spend $10/week, in which case I guess I'm on the wrong career track), and quite frankly too much is going to be more of a detriment. This will not cement your makeup to your face; you will not look the same at 6pm as you did at 8am. That said, unless you're working out or something, you won't notice a huge difference, and other people probably will think you do look just as good in the afternoon as you did that morning. At any given time I usually have at least one stress zit, and this is the best I've seen so far at helping my foundation and cover-up mask the litte blemishes.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2010 9:39:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

Like many others I first tried this via a sample in a magazine. I liked it enough to buy it and also had a $2.00 off coupon, as well as the fact that my very expensive Clarin's Pore Perfector, was almost empty. I never loved that stuff though at that price, felt I almost had to use it up. Like this stuff, I really only use this over mu, with one small exception. I apply my entire face, then I use a little of this (previously used the Clarins) on my nose to blot shine and make pores less noticable. Yes I use powder, but this mattifies even more. I use a thin line in my "1" between my eyes. Many people seem to have an "11," the dreaded expression lines, while I just have the "1," I hate it nonetheless! The Clarins was actually noticable at times, under or over mu in that area, looked cakey, this looks much better. I then take a very thin brush and apply a little in my tear troughs. I have taken meticulous care of my skin and have worn sunscreen 365 days a yr for 15 yrs, and wear large sunglasses daily, so my skin is not showing a lot of aging, but I am prone to milia and they always show in my tt area or just nearby. I apply a teeny bit right under or around any that "show" and it minimizes the look of them. I was using Clarins for that, but this actually works better as it looks more natural, and the tint to it works better on me. I then apply a little lighter concealer than i use for my under eye area in general, over this, I mean head of a pin sized of both products, but makes a real difference.

I should add I have never used this for its intended purpose under foundation, but then I have never been one for primer used that way. I think this is a great product, lately also swiping a little bit across my forehead again after mu, looks smooth and stays matte longer. For the price this is not only comparable with a high end primer, to me its better

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2010 6:29:00 PM More reviews by kirstabelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this because I haven't tried many primers, just the Bare Escentuals one which I hated, and I wasn't sure I really needed one so didn't want to get an expensive one.

When I first used it all over my face over my moisturizer and under my foundation I did notice that it felt very nice on the skin, weightless. I did not have any trouble blending even though my skin is dry, maybe because I moisturize well? The texture reminds me of the maybelline mousse foundations and concealers, but a little bit more gummy feeling, it does not feel greasy at all.

Unfortunately this broke me out when I used it all over, and hardly anything breaks me out. I still use it, but just under my eyes where I need to wear moisturizer plus eye cream and foundation and two kinds of concealer (regular and yellow colored) to cover my dark circles. It does keep all the layers in place all day and stops it from settling into my lines and looking crepe-y or cakey. I actually think it helps lock in the moisture or something because usually my under eyes get so dry which only exacerbates the bad looking-ness.

I think this product works well, and the only reason I said I wouldn't buy it again is because I want to try the monistat anti-chafing stuff everyone talks about. If that's no good I will re-purchase this because it helps my under eye area look good and that's not easy haha!

I didn't give it the nighest rating just because it broke me out although, I think maybe all these silicone things might do that. Also couldn't give it a five because I don't think the jar is the best way to dispense the product. The stuff is thick and gets under your finger nails, and its not hygenic, especially since a little goes a long way so it lasts a long time and you just keep putting your fingers in over and over again... would like a tube or a pump please!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2010 9:22:00 AM More reviews by sallysellsseashells

SO FAR SO GOOD! I've tried primers in the past (Clairins, Tarte & BE) only to be let down. With the few I used, I didn't really notice any difference in my skin's appearance nor did they provide oil control or they didn't seem to make a huge impact with makeup. So, I figure it was a useless step I didn't need. Well, I hear buzz over this and wanted to try it out. For drugstore, it is rather expensive @ $12.99. I didn't want to splurge on another $30 primer with mediocre results.
APPLICATION: AFTER moisturizer and eye cream, I apply this primer. I personally didn't experience this being hard to blend into the skin. I'm combo/oily and would use a moisturizer first as it helps blend in the primer better. After applying the primer, I wait for about 5 minutes than proceed with makeup application.
RESULTS: Immediatley, I noticed my oily forehead was nice and matte and my pores were gone. However, my foundation looked a bit cakey but once my skin warmed up, everything seemed to settle in nicely and I looked airbrushed. My skin feels soft and not slippery. I hate the feeling of any cosmetic product on my skin and you can't even feel that it's on.
PACKAGING: I don't care for the tub like container. However, you do get a whole lot of product for the price. I was surprised to open the cover and not find a plastic cover over the opening. But, I guess this is too thick to put inside a tube. I will update with any breakout issues & the overall staying power of this. Being winter, I'm not sure how this will hold up makeup on hot days. For now, it gets a 5 rating.