December 22, 2014 | 1675 users online

Concealers - MAC - Select Cover-Up

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2008 1:28:00 PM More reviews by jenaht

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

It's been so long since I purchased this lovely little product that I don't even remember the cost. So I can't really vouch for that - but I do remember NOT fainting dead away when I paid for it. Good thing I think to remember!

I have it in the NC15. I use it for under my eyes when I wish to brighten up or help with dark circles. I use this mixed in with moisturizer so that it just sinks into the skin. It's a gem. It is a little paler than my actual skin - which why I use it as a brightener where needed. It works well with my BE Fairly Light Mineral Foundation [although I'm currently waiting for free samples from Everyday Minerals] - no cakey effects.

I like that it doesn't emphasize any fine lines or wrinkles that I might have [even though I'm lucky enough to say I don't have many even at MY age!]. It's a great little product and I'd recommend it to ANYONE. I've had better results with this than I did using the Studio Fix Powder Foundation overall [while that actually is a decent product as well - just not a fave of mine].

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2008 5:47:00 AM More reviews by spiffytiffi912

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm a low makeup kind of girl, so I don't like to layer a lot of stuff on my face. For everyday I'll wear Almay's blemish control concealer because it has some saylic acid in it and it's very sheer. But for nights out and pictures, I wanted something thicker. I've heard a lot of people warning against a lot of MAC face products (like foundation), but I figure since I'm only going to spot-treat with the concealer, it should be okay. So far, I haven't broken out and I have fairly sensitive and combo/oily skin.
It stays put a lot better than my Almay, although when I dab with my fingers I feel like the shade's a bit darker than my skin (I'm using NC 30; I have fair, olive-ish Asian skin). I was told it would be sheerer if I blended it with a concealer brush instead, but I haven't tried it as of yet.
All in all, I'm very pleased.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2008 3:01:00 PM More reviews by te_amo_xo0x

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this product. I wear it in NW 30/35 and it blends great! =]

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2008 8:27:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE (2012-02-17): BOYCOTTING RE. CURRENT ANIMAL TESTING FOR CHINESE MARKET

Ugh. Took me a while to realise this is too dark and yellow on me. Beware, pale people.

NB cross-posted for main MAC Select Cover-Up posting and for the specific NW15 one.

New HG concealer and colour-element for home-made foundation. OK, I know, it's not exactly new. But I finally caved and got it: NW15, best match ever for the Gingerrama pallor. No reactions, light smooth texture, sits well, blends completely, and neither drying nor oilifying. Is in a dinky squeezy tube, with tiny nozzle applicator and screw cap. And it's not tested on animals. What's not to love?

And then... you can mix it with other things: mix it with eye cream, and you have an eyelid primer/base (in theory: in practice, that didn't work for me - it settled in the crease). Mix with moisturizer or primer, and lo, a foundation (I've done this in the evening, being the only time I use a foundation, and rarely at that: this technique works really well).

The shades are hit or miss, sure; and it's not Prescriptives Custom Blend; but it's a heck of a lot cheaper, and there are an awful lot more shades - and degrees of coverage, kinds of application, etc. - than you get with most department store parallels. The real competition would be Bobbi Brown, maybe LM (but wayyy expensive here). And these parallels are a lot more costly here in Europe. Price-wise, the MAC is closer to drugstore here - we are talking under EUR/USD 5.00 difference between this and the likes of Revlon, L'Oreal, Max Factor, etc.

I'm still using trusty perfect Lancome Effacernes around my eyes (which replaced a similar L'Oreal concealer that's not available here in Europe). NW15 can be recommended for the pale redhead sort of individual with blue-purple undertones (especially around the eyes). Obviously, try before you buy, and try the different formulae; and look at the shades under different lights. That is: not just in the shop, and outside, but different lighting situations in both.

I'm impatient shopping but also annoyed about bad colour matches - products are almost always not pale enough and too beige/yellow for me. And let's not go into the SA who tries to sell you something inappropriate for your skin-tone, especially if she's an intriguing shade of orange that clashes with the behind-ear region. I also tend to politely distrust any SA who is not a fellow redhead. So I brought a small mirror with me, and tried colour swatches out dotted on face. Yes, outside as well. Worth a few minutes' embarrassment to get a product that does actually match one's skintone. Plus it's a public service: as it's surely good for members of the public to be occasionally perturbed and/or amused when going about their everyday business. In a non-harmful way. I hope.

Having said that, huge points to the MAC ladies of Dublin though, who were patient with this weirdness, had suggested which colour was best, and didn't look in the least smug when it was the one I picked. And not a redhead among them. Bless 'em.

This cost me EUR 17.00; it's cheaper in the US, I'm not even going to check and type the price as it'll just depress me.

INGREDIENTS: water - butylene glycol - hydrogenated polyisobutene - tea-stearate - caprylic/capric triglyceride - propylene glycol stearate - magnesium aluminum silicate - cetyl esters - lecithin - polybutene - shea butter - dimethicone - tocopherol - xanthan gum - polysorbate 85 - stearic acid - cetyl alcohol - stearyl alcohol - methylparaben - propylparaben - butylparaben [ mica - titanium dioxide (ci 77891) - iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499) - bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163) - chromium oxide greens (ci 77288) - ulramarines (ci 77007)] continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2008 8:23:00 PM More reviews by RaquellaDeVille

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I went for this in NW15. I's a perfect shade for my fair skin. I find myself using way less of this concealer than I would use any other concealer, because it is so pigmented. You only need a TINY dab to cover your imperfections --- this has great coverage. A little bit goes a VERY LONG WAY...I've had the same tube for over a year now.

But, it is kind of liquidy, so I always spot it on and then let it sit for a few minutes before I blend it.

This stuff did make me break out pretty badly everywhere I put it. On my cheeks, forehead, and chin. I decided to just start using it under my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2008 5:20:00 PM More reviews by Hunny67

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is really a decent concealer. It is very blendable and while it is not a very heavy concealer, it is does a nice job of covering redness, minor acne scars and most importantly, the dark undereye circles. It does not look crepey under the eyes at all. It has a very smooth texture. I always make sure to use my eye cream first and then immediately follow up with the concealer and set with brightening powder. The mua at the Mac counter suggested the NW35 for my golden brown complexion and it couldn't be a better match. I like Bobbi Brown concealer as well. But for under the eyes, I will continue to purchase this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2008 11:54:00 PM More reviews by laurentothemax

This is one of the better concealers i've used in recent years. I've had the same tube of this for roughly a year and i'm finally coming close to the end of it and i will definitely buy another. I use this one primarily to cover my dark under eye circles and on the sides and bridge of my nose to cover up any darker, shadowy spots. I also like this for covering up any old acne hyper-pigmentation. it blends really smoothly and doesn't cake or crease. I use this for covering all discolorations that are not raised or for minor zits. When I have something really major pop up I use the considerably heavier MAC studio finish concealer for serious spot coverage. Select cover up however is the best option for covering normal day to day imperfections.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2008 6:56:00 AM More reviews by berries674

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I LOOOOVE MAC products and purchased this b/c of the shade, blendability and b/c i wanted to try something new and less expensive than Laura Mercier Secret Concealer #2. Well, at first i liked the coverage...it was a little thin for my liking b/c i was used to the "pot" style and texture of LM. Second, i wore it to the gym (i don't go anywhere w/o concealer due to lack of sleep and dark circles) and it did not withstand sweat AT ALL...this made me all the more realize how AWESOME LM concealer is...so i guess this is a dual purpose reveiw. LM concealer is incredible. This one just didn't pass the test. If your eye even so much as tears it will breakdown and run. It also settles in creases/lines....it was worth the shot, but i wound up returning it and going with my fave...LM

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2008 7:26:00 PM More reviews by hebamo

This concealer is not bad, but not the best. It's good for covering up blemishes and uneven skin before putting on a foundation or powder. However, I bought it to conceal my super dark undereye circles and doesn't cover them up very well. I would say this is light to medium coverage, is liquidy, and isn't that great in covering up bags and would go for a thicker product for more coverage.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2008 5:59:00 PM More reviews by chilli

For me, this baby works. I'm a warm NC15 with green eyes and red hair and use NW15 for my undereye area. True, it can crease (hence only 4 lippies) but it also covers very nicely and doesn't dry my skin out. I have very dark bags, my fair skin only emphasizes them. I usually apply Studio Fix Fluid all over my face (also under the eyes) with the 187 brush and then dab quite a bit Select Cover-Up on my dark circles. I let it dry for a sec and then blend it with the 187. I also love that the color selection runs so light, good for us PPPs.