MAC Select Cover-Up

3.7

Water (Aqua Purificata) Purified, Butylene Glycol, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Tea-Stearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Cetyl Esters, Lecithin, Polybutene, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Dimethicone, Tocopherol, Xanthan Gum, Polysorbate 85, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben Select Cover-Up may contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron oxides, Bismuth Oxychloride, Chromium Oxide Greens, Ultramarines

So I bought this product because I had a gift card for the MAC store. After using it for a while I noticed that I was breaking out on my forehead. I thought that maybe it was the skincare I was using. Since I had just bought new skincare. So I went back to my old skincare, still receiving break outs. Stopped wearing the concealer and make up totally no break outs. Then Valentines day, I used the make up again. On Saturday woke up with tons of little zits on my forehead.

This has been over a three month period. I am going to stop using this concealer completely even though it does cover up my blemishes well. I rather not have the blemishes at all!

on 2/13/2008 12:27:00 PM

Hair: Other, Other, Medium

There is no need for me to be writing yet another review of this concealer, yet I am bored and it is wonderful....and I have given it a two week contenplative trial that I believe deserves a fair evaluation!

The SA gave a generous sample of NC 15, a bit pasty but then again so am I. Lately, I have fallen on the I am in love with Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Cream foundation (buy it) bandwagon. I take it right up under the eyes and so I only use the teensiest bit of Select Cover Up, rather than a full "banana". I use a concealer brush for the entire application.

I have dark, difficult undereye circles that I have been battling my entire life and with the combination of the Maybelline and the Mac, they are finally under control! I do eye make-up first, foundation, then concealer and voila - I'm awake! What impresses me most about the Select Cover Up is a) the condensed pigmentation. A little really goes a long way and this sample is lasting me eons. And b) It doesn't settle into my fine lines providing I don't wear powder under my eyes!

I only wish the colour was a tad more yellow as it does appear a little greyish on my skin. But, considering how little you use, you don't get grey streaks, so it's not terribly noticable. I am really, really fond of this concealer and plan to purchase when my sample is used up. It comes in a wee tube that dispenses a tiny amount that I hope can be controlled, as I am using microscopic amounts. What a great product!

on 2/12/2008 4:16:00 PM

I think this is a great concealer. I was looking for one to cover up blemishes and post-blemish red spots and this works wonderfully. I use NW15. It's easy to apply with my finger or a concealer brush, it doesn't take very much to do the job, and it sets quickly and stays well. If I ever need touch ups, it's easy to do with this. I also use the Studio Touch-Up stick for touch ups since it's so purse friendly. So far, it's the best concealer for blemishes I've found. I also think the price is pretty good for MAC. I've read about a lot of other ways to use this in these reviews (mixed with eye cream, mixed with moisturizer) that I never would have thought of that I can't wait to try! I will repurchase, although it'll take a long time to run out since a little goes a long way.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my first MAC product, and the little tube surely goes a long way, i've been using it for over a year but it still has half a tube!

UPDATE: i found this concealer quite runny in a sense. As I'm a sweaty person, the concealer would come off during the way when I pat my face with a napkin. Ugh, but for normal days and cooler days I suppose this concealer works well.

This product creates lines under my eyes :( doesn't cover my under-eye circles very well, though. I found this product works on eye circles, blemishes, but not with pimples while they are still red.

on 2/10/2008 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Love this concealer! Always go a shade lighter than your foundation color. For instance, my concealer color is an NC30 and I'm an NC35. It covers well, makes my skin look flawless, and doesn't make me break out. It's a staple in my daily makeup regimen.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This concealer is too thick for my liking. To me it feels and looks caked on. Having said that, it does cover up well, with the ability to produce a fairly opaque layer over the skin. I used this to disguise a black eye and it was very effective in concealing the bruise, but on close inspection it was quite clear that there was a lot of make-up involved. It also tends to show fine lines around my eyes when I have used it. I can see this product has merit, it just hasn't really worked for me. I will keep it though, and use it for spots and may even mix with moisturiser or MAC eye cream for lighter coverage.

on 2/9/2008 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It's been so long since I purchased this lovely little product that I don't even remember the cost. So I can't really vouch for that - but I do remember NOT fainting dead away when I paid for it. Good thing I think to remember!

I have it in the NC15. I use it for under my eyes when I wish to brighten up or help with dark circles. I use this mixed in with moisturizer so that it just sinks into the skin. It's a gem. It is a little paler than my actual skin - which why I use it as a brightener where needed. It works well with my BE Fairly Light Mineral Foundation [although I'm currently waiting for free samples from Everyday Minerals] - no cakey effects.

I like that it doesn't emphasize any fine lines or wrinkles that I might have [even though I'm lucky enough to say I don't have many even at MY age!]. It's a great little product and I'd recommend it to ANYONE. I've had better results with this than I did using the Studio Fix Powder Foundation overall [while that actually is a decent product as well - just not a fave of mine].

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm a low makeup kind of girl, so I don't like to layer a lot of stuff on my face. For everyday I'll wear Almay's blemish control concealer because it has some saylic acid in it and it's very sheer. But for nights out and pictures, I wanted something thicker. I've heard a lot of people warning against a lot of MAC face products (like foundation), but I figure since I'm only going to spot-treat with the concealer, it should be okay. So far, I haven't broken out and I have fairly sensitive and combo/oily skin.
It stays put a lot better than my Almay, although when I dab with my fingers I feel like the shade's a bit darker than my skin (I'm using NC 30; I have fair, olive-ish Asian skin). I was told it would be sheerer if I blended it with a concealer brush instead, but I haven't tried it as of yet.
All in all, I'm very pleased.

on 2/6/2008 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I love this product. I wear it in NW 30/35 and it blends great! =]

on 2/5/2008 8:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

UPDATE (2012-02-17): BOYCOTTING RE. CURRENT ANIMAL TESTING FOR CHINESE MARKET

Ugh. Took me a while to realise this is too dark and yellow on me. Beware, pale people.

NB cross-posted for main MAC Select Cover-Up posting and for the specific NW15 one.

New HG concealer and colour-element for home-made foundation. OK, I know, it's not exactly new. But I finally caved and got it: NW15, best match ever for the Gingerrama pallor. No reactions, light smooth texture, sits well, blends completely, and neither drying nor oilifying. Is in a dinky squeezy tube, with tiny nozzle applicator and screw cap. And it's not tested on animals. What's not to love?

And then... you can mix it with other things: mix it with eye cream, and you have an eyelid primer/base (in theory: in practice, that didn't work for me - it settled in the crease). Mix with moisturizer or primer, and lo, a foundation (I've done this in the evening, being the only time I use a foundation, and rarely at that: this technique works really well).

The shades are hit or miss, sure; and it's not Prescriptives Custom Blend; but it's a heck of a lot cheaper, and there are an awful lot more shades - and degrees of coverage, kinds of application, etc. - than you get with most department store parallels. The real competition would be Bobbi Brown, maybe LM (but wayyy expensive here). And these parallels are a lot more costly here in Europe. Price-wise, the MAC is closer to drugstore here - we are talking under EUR/USD 5.00 difference between this and the likes of Revlon, L'Oreal, Max Factor, etc.

I'm still using trusty perfect Lancome Effacernes around my eyes (which replaced a similar L'Oreal concealer that's not available here in Europe). NW15 can be recommended for the pale redhead sort of individual with blue-purple undertones (especially around the eyes). Obviously, try before you buy, and try the different formulae; and look at the shades under different lights. That is: not just in the shop, and outside, but different lighting situations in both.

I'm impatient shopping but also annoyed about bad colour matches - products are almost always not pale enough and too beige/yellow for me. And let's not go into the SA who tries to sell you something inappropriate for your skin-tone, especially if she's an intriguing shade of orange that clashes with the behind-ear region. I also tend to politely distrust any SA who is not a fellow redhead. So I brought a small mirror with me, and tried colour swatches out dotted on face. Yes, outside as well. Worth a few minutes' embarrassment to get a product that does actually match one's skintone. Plus it's a public service: as it's surely good for members of the public to be occasionally perturbed and/or amused when going about their everyday business. In a non-harmful way. I hope.

Having said that, huge points to the MAC ladies of Dublin though, who were patient with this weirdness, had suggested which colour was best, and didn't look in the least smug when it was the one I picked. And not a redhead among them. Bless 'em.

This cost me EUR 17.00; it's cheaper in the US, I'm not even going to check and type the price as it'll just depress me.

INGREDIENTS: water - butylene glycol - hydrogenated polyisobutene - tea-stearate - caprylic/capric triglyceride - propylene glycol stearate - magnesium aluminum silicate - cetyl esters - lecithin - polybutene - shea butter - dimethicone - tocopherol - xanthan gum - polysorbate 85 - stearic acid - cetyl alcohol - stearyl alcohol - methylparaben - propylparaben - butylparaben [ mica - titanium dioxide (ci 77891) - iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499) - bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163) - chromium oxide greens (ci 77288) - ulramarines (ci 77007)] continued >>