Chanel No.5

3.5

I can't understand some of the reviews Chanel no.5 has gotten. It truly is a classic sexy scent.
Every time I wear it I get asked "Oh my, what are you wearing?". And that's a reaction from a total male stranger.
It's lovely and timeless.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but to be so harsh on such a classic. I just do not get it.
I love it and I will always wear it and I KNOW I do not smell like an old lady.

This is my interpretation of Chanel No. 5: So ladies, imagine you are given the most beautiful bouquet of flowers entailing of roses and jasmine. Smells great right? Unfortunately the flowers were sent to your job at the science lab and the only place you can put these flowers is in a beaker filled with alcohol. As you are working, the heady scent of the aldehyde, roses and jasmine permeates the room inviting (or offending) noses everywhere!

Ok so I'm not a huge fan of this. The scent is quite strong and you need a really light hand to spray this. The scent is rather strong, evoking old money flair. "Classic" would best describe this scent.. classic as in classical music, champagne, diamonds and fur coat.. something an old socialite in Russia would truly enjoy.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I was hoping I'd like this perfume, seeing as it's considered classy & all. I test sprayed it though (the EDP) & it smelled like mix between old lady & a public bathroom. Seriously. Do they spray public bathrooms with Chanel No.5? I doubt it. Unfortunately, I really did not like the smell of this. I really like Coco Mademoiselle though, so I picked that up instead.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

this perfume will never go away. never. ever. it is a true classic. very thick, one spritz is almost overpowering. not realy for school, but good for special occasions. this perfume is kinda makes me think old hollywood glamour and goes well with a little black dress. very out of place in casual attire. i think its too overpowering but if you spray one spritz in the air and walk through it its wonderful. its the kind of perfume that people walk past and think "that person obviously wearing chanel no5" it is very expensive but lasts forever! classic perfume that will never go away. ever

Sick, this smells like old people. I asked two people for their opinions. #1) smells like baby powder. #2) smells like old people. There ya go. I can't believe people under 50 wear this...

Wow!!! I can't believe there are women who actually hate this fragrance. This is a true classic with staying power! How many other perfumes have made it throughout the years like Chanel 5? Not many. There's a reason for it. After all these years it is a universal favorite. I started wearing this as a teenager, many moons ago. It was given to me as a gift from my first true love's mom. She wore it all the time. So I have been wearing this for the last 30 years. The ONLY scents I wear are Chanel 5, White Linen, must de Cartier or Ceasars. Because Chanel 5 is still a hot seller it doesn't smell old or outdated in my opinion. It's just pure class. I always receive compliments when I wear this and I am still surprised when people ask me what it is so they can buy some. I thought everyone knew this famous scent.

I love the perfume, the cologne, the bath soap and the lotion. I have them all! I find it's long lasting but never overpowering unless you spray half the bottle on yourself.

To each her own I know, but this will forever be my favorite scent and I will never get tired of it. My husband and son love it as well and always compliment me when I wear it around the house.

for the person who purchased it from a drug store...that sounds like a knockoff or fake because Chanel does NOT sell their products to drug stores EVER.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

DISGUSTING! i pratically choked the first time i smelled it. I first smelled it at a a local drug store and thought it was horrendous. 2 months later, I saw it again and thought maybe I would give it another go and that maybe the other one i smelled was a fluke. it wasn't a fluke, it just smelled like ...ew. its so heavy and artificial and overwelming. I then went to meet my friends after trying this perfume the second time and they were all like ' ugh, what are you wearing? you smell like an old lady' I know that a lot of people are saying this and saying this again would be pointlessly repetitive but this stuff smells like old ladies who wear too much makeup.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

its a bit overrated although it smells great on my mom...my dad gave her a bottle of this when they were dating...so i can't imagine wearing this..lool..good thing cos i'm not too crazy over the smell...i prefer guerlain's samsara.

There's nothing like Chanel #5 in my hair. It is very femine, and very light, without being sweet at all.

I purchased my first bottle of Chanel No 5 a week ago. I'm 34. It's the best perfume I've ever owned or smelled. I purchased the EDP version and it's not too heavy. I use it lightly and only on my pulse points. Sometimes I just put it in my inner elbow creases and wrists and thats enough. The scent is so wonderful that you definitely don't need a lot of it.
I feel so grown up, sexy, elegant, intelligent, regal...when wearing this perfume. Of course, I'm all of those things without the perfume (SMILE) but the perfume gives me that extra something.
People compliment me when I wear this. I love it. I wear it when I feel like it. It's not for casual wear but of course one can wear it when and how she wishes.

Love the bottle--simple and elegant. Price is fine because it's a classic and it's a great scent. It will last forever if you use it properly. I rated it a 5 overall of course and I will definitley buy it over and over again.

Edited to add**** For those of you who do not like the fragrance, could it be because you are using the EDT (eau de toillette) and not the Parfum or EDP (eau de parfum)?? Also, be careful, there are a lot of fakes out there on the market. Don't buy this fragrance unless you are buying it from a reputable seller (I buy mine from Neiman Marcus, Sephora, or Nordstrom only). Also there is a HUGE difference between EDT and EDP...I honestly never knew the difference until a few years back...LOL. I always used to buy EDT's. NEVER AGAIN (with the exception of my Aquolina Pink Sugar--like this frangrance for light spring, summer days) EDP is sooo much better, stronger, it's the closest you can get to the pure parfum version. Eau De Toilette is just water, alcohol and a little bit of fragrance in my opinion. Also when you use an EDP---PLEASE use it lightly. I only place it on one pulse point and that's the area in the middle of my collarbone and I may place a little dab in the creases of my elbows..but that is it. You don't need more and if you put more you will smell awful---in my opinion. There is such thing as 'too much of a good thing'. Well, Chanel is a great thing and you can ruin it by using it too much. And lastly, everything doesn' t match everyones body chemistry. So perhaps on one body it smells old lady yet on another it smells captivating and sexy mature.

Popular Fragrances