April 21, 2014 | 1007 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2007 8:10:00 PM More reviews by misskitty5077

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I get this in the classic bottle eau de perfume spray. I fell in love with the fragrance during my teens. Fifteen years later I still love it but not for every day wear. A bottle will last me forever and it is my *one* cosmetic splurge :-)

I find this to be a flowery-powdery scent. Very feminine. If applied heavy, it is too much and smothers me. Lightly applied, it is wonderful and such a soft fragrance.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/2/2007 4:30:00 PM More reviews by rakkle99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was really excited to try a sample of this, like many others that reviewed it before me. But unfortunately, it was 100% powdery, old-lady scent on me and gave me a headache. Too bad!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2007 8:52:00 AM More reviews by beckibabe

This is my signature perfume, I have had it for a few years now and will definately repurchase when it runs out. Its quite strong so it does take some getting used to, but gosh its lovely. Smells fresh, clean powdery hard to explain but its devine. I get so many compliments from it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2007 3:02:00 PM More reviews by MariaBraun

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a true Chanel fragrances fan. They really agree with my body chemistry. No.5 is such a timeless classic. It is my second favourite fragrance after Allure and just before Allure Sensuelle and Coco Mademoiselle. I absolutely adore this fragrance. I feel soooo classy wearing it. I love how it smells on my skin, flowery with a heavy powdery base. Somehow I associate this with a smell of a very expensive soap. I totally understand that some people might not like it as this is one of those 'love it or hate it' fragrances. It is definitely worth testing though. A very grown-up scent. Highly recommended!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/21/2007 2:30:00 PM More reviews by xxporcelainxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Nauseating. I can't believe people still wear it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2007 4:56:00 PM More reviews by Cinnamon1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried and tried to like this scent when I was in college, but I apparently wasn't womanly enough back then. :) Ten years later, I absolutely love it. I think back then I couldn't get past No. 5's initial, out-of-the-bottle smell. And I have to admit, it still smells "pollen-ish" to me. Hard to explain, but it has the smell of some flowers (like lilies) that are pretty but don't smell the best. But No. 5's drydown is absolutely magical. I don't know what to compare it to; I don't know what it smells like, and I don't want to know. It makes me feel classy and beautiful. UPDATE 11/27/07: Still absolutely love this fragrance. But I have something to share. I went camping a couple of months ago, and it was buggy. We busted out with the bug spray, and I said, "This smells soooo good." Then I realized it smelled like No. 5. Still love it, tho!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2007 7:26:00 PM More reviews by kimmy310

Smells like powdery flowers. The pure parfume lasts all day. This is for the very sophisticated lady. I personally prefer Chanel Allure over No. 5 for it's more youthful scent.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/8/2007 1:47:00 AM More reviews by emmenez

In all honesty, I feel like No. 5 thrives on its caché more than anything else. I tried to love this -- because, by god, you get so many cool points for being a sworn No. 5 user! -- but the "timeless" label is a bit of a crock. It's *definitely* old-ladyish and smells like old powdery flowers. An interesting specimen and a classic product, but not, perhaps, a fragrance that can stand on its own if it didn't have the mesmerizing power lent to it by its name.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2007 3:16:00 PM More reviews by petiterien

Chanel N°5 is one of the few fragrances which boasts not only household recognition but arthouse respect as well. Warm yet aloof, sensible but sexy, legendary and timeless. The unique melange of aldehydes imparts a cold, clean marble feel on initial contact with skin, but the drydown boasts a soft vulnerable quality and adaptability, not unlike Coco Chanel herself. N°5 is often adrift in a world of its own while snaking seamlessly through furs or lovingly faded jeans, or even nothing-a la a certain Marilyn. Perfumer Ernest Beaux is said to have "found the olfactory inspiration for N°5 around 1920, on his return from a military campaign that had taken him inside the Arctic Circle. During the midnight sun, the lakes and the rivers give off a very special fresh fragrance, which the perfumer was determined to recreate." Beaux is also rumored to have dabbled in the occult and alchemical arts, which might explain a portion of the perfume's intelligent, mythical appeal.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2007 8:44:00 PM More reviews by satin828

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I was always skeptical of this perfume since it had a reputation of being a granny perfume. Strong scent, ugly bottle... but boy, was I wrong. This scent is gorgeous!!! No wonder it's a timeless classic. I absolutely love it! My only complaint is the plain ugly bottle but who cares when the stuff inside is so divine.