July 29, 2014 | 1723 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2007 8:02:00 PM More reviews by loogie

This is my holy grail foundation. I had tried BE and Pur Minerals and while they are both good products, the PF is considerably cheaper and works better. I find that it settles into lines less than any other mineral make up I have tried and doesn't get as shiny. I don't use the brush that comes with the product - I use the Pur Minerals Chisel Brush. I also think the packaging is really good. I discard the brush and bubble and just turn the product upsidedown, give it a tap, and then open up the flap. One container last a really really long time too!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2007 8:10:00 PM More reviews by katenabi

First off-- Packaging SUCKS. What's up with the bubble thing? And the Brush is awful. But if you use a big fluffy brush, its just your average powder, though in some light it can appear too orange-y.

Not sure if I would buy again. Def. would look at other powders first.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2007 12:48:00 AM More reviews by goodbyexxkitty

I love this product! I've always worn liquid foundation and pressed powder. Then, one day I decided to try this to set foundation and I fell in love with it! I loved it even more when I decided to try it on it's own one day, it's really all the coverage I really need and it looks so natural!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2007 1:35:00 PM More reviews by quixotica

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

BE failed me miserably - it was shiny and itchy and orange and expensive. A year ago, when this stuff was new, I decided to take a risk ruining my finally-cleared skin by trying it. I love this stuff. Plain and simple.

The good: I have the palest, whitest skin and I use translucent light with no issue, regardless of the time of year. I have never broken out from it, even when I have SLEPT in it. It blends seamlessly. My boyfriend finds the look of foundation very unappealing, but has never figured out that I even wear any. It has no line of demarcation around the face, and it basically removes the facial redness as you buff. It's soft to the touch and you can't feel it on. It does not streak on ANYTHING. Comes off easily.

The bad: the packaging is really dysfunctional. I'm going to try emptying a BE container and putting this in it instead. The packaging is unnecessarily large, the brush sucks, and the 'opener tab' is close to breaking. It also just looks cheap - their futuristic 'space packaging' is really ugly.

The ugly: this can streak badly if you put it on right after moisturizer. I generally don't. But those who do, will have some bad results. This grossly enough tends to work the -best- with some natural oils on my face, i.e. a few hours after moisturizing.

I wouldn't stop using this if you paid me. It's a cheap mistake if it doesn't work for you, and for some, it won't. But for me, it's perfect, and I have skin that's notoriously hard to please.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2007 12:20:00 PM More reviews by misspris26

Now here is something I expected to love and hated so bad I had to wash my face. It was so heavy and left an odd shimmer on my face (not sparly but like a sheen). I looked like a little girl who got into mommy's make-up. I bought translucent light and it smeared on my face like tan mud. It is anything BUT translucent. The brush is not soft so I tried using my own brush, no luck. Loose powder is supposed to be good for setting your foundation, well it is impossible to blend this over your face!!!! Since I despise returning used MU, I gave it to my 14 yr old (this allows me to try things and not waste my money, she often LOVES my rejects since our skin is different, etc). She HATED it and was like, "omg...mom....LOOK at my face!" For $13 I expect more out of a drugstore powder seeing as CG makes one for $5 that works nicely.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2007 1:21:00 PM More reviews by odanit

I bought this after having breakout problems with the L'oreal Bare Naturale. So far, packaging is a bit better (I can throw away the useless brush! There is a cover on the sifter so product doesn't spill all over the lid! I can take it with me in my bag!). Still, the packaging can be greatly improved for more convenient application.

This powder is finely milled enough to give an even, soft, natural complexion. I have this in Buff Beige and find it compliments my medium Asian skin tone well - not orange or ashy. I use this over bare, moisturized skin. Coverage is satisfactory (which is all I need and the natural look of my skin showing through is what I want). It is most suitable for those with minimal blemishes. Although I have not tried it yet, I think this would be excellent as a setting powder over foundation if more coverage is required.

I have combination skin and this does an average job of controlling shine. Longevity so far is acceptable. I do not notice any scent and my sensitive skin is happy.

Until I find a better product, I will repurchase!

UPDATE: I have noticed when I wear this my skin gets oiler. After several hours, my face gets very shiny! I get better oil control by wearing nothing at all! Also, in artificial restaurant bathroom lighting, this made me look chalky and grey! Yikes!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/17/2007 12:50:00 AM More reviews by akennedy54

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not real thrilled about this loose powder. I have oily skin and require powders to make it through the day. This particular powder comes in a messy container, and comes with a brush that seems to just push the messy powder around. It is a very low coverage powder and tends to become cakey in a hurry. Have since tried BE and am more happy with the results. This would work well for someone who require little coverage.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/14/2007 5:09:00 PM More reviews by emmy_nyc

After reading all the rave reviews for this product, I decided to try it. I purchased the Translucent Light. I was really afraid that this product might be too dark or too pink for my skin tone. I am really fair with yellow undertone. I was impressed with the color and the coverage. It was not too dark at all and the color was neutral. I used a big shadow brush to conceal and it worked great. Then I used the small brush that came with the product and buff the powder onto my face and it was amazing. It covers redness better than the Benefit Get Even powder...but....the coverage does not last too long (lasted about 4 hrs on me without a touch up)...I have combo skin type and I could just imagine how fast this powder would wear off on someone with an oily skin type. The brush that comes with this powder is a bit rough. Oil control is not the greatest and it can look cakey if applied too much. I don't think you can compare this product to products like B.E. because this product does contain minerals but it is not 100% mineral and it does contain fillers. I like this product but I would use it in a different way. I am back to using Benefit Get Even, because I only need a small amount of this powder and it lasts all day and oil control is great. After I apply Benefit, I just take the small concealer brush and dab the Physicians Formula Mineral loose powder on areas I want to tone down on redness.
EDIT: I tried this loose powder again today and it felt a little bit heavy, when you first apply it, it feels nice and light but 4 hours later it feels heavy and coated. I do not apply much and I don't have an oily complexion either. The pressed powder version is much lighter feeling but does not cover as well as the loose powder. The loose powder also looked a bit shiny and really didn't control oil at all. I guess I will just use this powder when I am home and not going anywhere important or I can use it as a concealer. The loose powder is pretty average, not the worst , not the best. I guess the only product that I really love from PF are the baked eye shadows.
Since PF was not my HG in mineral makeup, I ordered samples from Everyday Minerals in matte today, so we will see if this brand works out.
Here is a informative link on mineral makeups:

www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/the-lowdown-on-mineral-makeup

rated 1 of 5 on 7/13/2007 4:06:00 PM More reviews by ksbkd00

I liked this powder a lot. I have combination/oily skin and I still don't like powders. But I really liked this one. I use it to set on my foundation. The coverage is not much, just natural and that was wht I wanted. Staying power is good, even in summer. The brush that comes with it lookes cute but it is useless. I use my own powder brush. It nicely sets my foundation. If you are looking for a heavy coverage, this may not be for you. It did not irritate my skin at all. Usually powders irritate my skin. I will purchase it again. EDIT: Sorry, ladies. I am not as excited about this as before. I realized that this powder is very difficult to blend. I use my own powder brush. It just sits on your face and may look cakey. Also, I think it makes my pores look even bigger. I was excited by "mineral" and "talc-free". It doesn't break me out but it does feel a bit heavy on my face. And I researched a little on talc in google. I am not really convinced that talc is harmful to skin. And it looks like talc is also a mineral. I won't bother again about any mineral/non mineral things. AND I won't buy this again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2007 9:54:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

This product is phenomenal! I am not exaggerating! After having several unsuccessful mineral foundation attempts (BE, Alima, EM etc) I had almost given up. Then I came across the MUA reviews of PF loose powder and I immediately went out and bought it. (And a kabuki brush as the one that comes with the powder is coarse). Although the packaging says that this is a loose powder, on the back of the box it does say that it can be used as a foundation. I took at least 10 minutes in Walgreens holding the packaging to the light trying to select the right shade, and against impossible odds (fluorescent lighting, no testers) I picked the perfect shade - Creamy Natural. I applied this for the first time when I got home, and I was immediately thrilled at the natural coverage, perfect glow - not too shiny, not too matte. The packaging is good too, I tip the loose powder into the dome lid and swirl my brush in there. It reduces mess and your brush picks up all the powder in the lid. The next day I applied this for work - with my Neutrogena concealer applied first - and it looked amazing! My face looked flawless, but not like I was wearing makeup at all. My pores were invisible, my fine lines didn't show and my redness was covered. My skin looked plumped and youthful. All this for $10! I would absolutely buy this again and stock up just in case it is discontinued. **EDIT** I tried this when I was going to be outside in hot weather all day. Unfortunately this was totally gone on my face within a couple of hours (and I was in the shade). I still give it 5 out of 5 though, for the coverage and finish. But there aren't many products that actually do stay on my face! **UPDATE** This is the culprit that has been breaking me out recently. Only a few small minor pimples, but enough so I can't deal with it anymore! I have reduced the rating to a 2 from a 5. If it breaks me out and doesn't stay on my face in hot weather, then it is no use to me. And I loved it too. continued >>