April 19, 2014 | 1786 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2007 1:21:00 PM More reviews by odanit

I bought this after having breakout problems with the L'oreal Bare Naturale. So far, packaging is a bit better (I can throw away the useless brush! There is a cover on the sifter so product doesn't spill all over the lid! I can take it with me in my bag!). Still, the packaging can be greatly improved for more convenient application.

This powder is finely milled enough to give an even, soft, natural complexion. I have this in Buff Beige and find it compliments my medium Asian skin tone well - not orange or ashy. I use this over bare, moisturized skin. Coverage is satisfactory (which is all I need and the natural look of my skin showing through is what I want). It is most suitable for those with minimal blemishes. Although I have not tried it yet, I think this would be excellent as a setting powder over foundation if more coverage is required.

I have combination skin and this does an average job of controlling shine. Longevity so far is acceptable. I do not notice any scent and my sensitive skin is happy.

Until I find a better product, I will repurchase!

UPDATE: I have noticed when I wear this my skin gets oiler. After several hours, my face gets very shiny! I get better oil control by wearing nothing at all! Also, in artificial restaurant bathroom lighting, this made me look chalky and grey! Yikes!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/17/2007 12:50:00 AM More reviews by akennedy54

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not real thrilled about this loose powder. I have oily skin and require powders to make it through the day. This particular powder comes in a messy container, and comes with a brush that seems to just push the messy powder around. It is a very low coverage powder and tends to become cakey in a hurry. Have since tried BE and am more happy with the results. This would work well for someone who require little coverage.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/14/2007 5:09:00 PM More reviews by emmy_nyc

After reading all the rave reviews for this product, I decided to try it. I purchased the Translucent Light. I was really afraid that this product might be too dark or too pink for my skin tone. I am really fair with yellow undertone. I was impressed with the color and the coverage. It was not too dark at all and the color was neutral. I used a big shadow brush to conceal and it worked great. Then I used the small brush that came with the product and buff the powder onto my face and it was amazing. It covers redness better than the Benefit Get Even powder...but....the coverage does not last too long (lasted about 4 hrs on me without a touch up)...I have combo skin type and I could just imagine how fast this powder would wear off on someone with an oily skin type. The brush that comes with this powder is a bit rough. Oil control is not the greatest and it can look cakey if applied too much. I don't think you can compare this product to products like B.E. because this product does contain minerals but it is not 100% mineral and it does contain fillers. I like this product but I would use it in a different way. I am back to using Benefit Get Even, because I only need a small amount of this powder and it lasts all day and oil control is great. After I apply Benefit, I just take the small concealer brush and dab the Physicians Formula Mineral loose powder on areas I want to tone down on redness.
EDIT: I tried this loose powder again today and it felt a little bit heavy, when you first apply it, it feels nice and light but 4 hours later it feels heavy and coated. I do not apply much and I don't have an oily complexion either. The pressed powder version is much lighter feeling but does not cover as well as the loose powder. The loose powder also looked a bit shiny and really didn't control oil at all. I guess I will just use this powder when I am home and not going anywhere important or I can use it as a concealer. The loose powder is pretty average, not the worst , not the best. I guess the only product that I really love from PF are the baked eye shadows.
Since PF was not my HG in mineral makeup, I ordered samples from Everyday Minerals in matte today, so we will see if this brand works out.
Here is a informative link on mineral makeups:

www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/the-lowdown-on-mineral-makeup

rated 1 of 5 on 7/13/2007 4:06:00 PM More reviews by ksbkd00

I liked this powder a lot. I have combination/oily skin and I still don't like powders. But I really liked this one. I use it to set on my foundation. The coverage is not much, just natural and that was wht I wanted. Staying power is good, even in summer. The brush that comes with it lookes cute but it is useless. I use my own powder brush. It nicely sets my foundation. If you are looking for a heavy coverage, this may not be for you. It did not irritate my skin at all. Usually powders irritate my skin. I will purchase it again. EDIT: Sorry, ladies. I am not as excited about this as before. I realized that this powder is very difficult to blend. I use my own powder brush. It just sits on your face and may look cakey. Also, I think it makes my pores look even bigger. I was excited by "mineral" and "talc-free". It doesn't break me out but it does feel a bit heavy on my face. And I researched a little on talc in google. I am not really convinced that talc is harmful to skin. And it looks like talc is also a mineral. I won't bother again about any mineral/non mineral things. AND I won't buy this again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2007 9:54:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

This product is phenomenal! I am not exaggerating! After having several unsuccessful mineral foundation attempts (BE, Alima, EM etc) I had almost given up. Then I came across the MUA reviews of PF loose powder and I immediately went out and bought it. (And a kabuki brush as the one that comes with the powder is coarse). Although the packaging says that this is a loose powder, on the back of the box it does say that it can be used as a foundation. I took at least 10 minutes in Walgreens holding the packaging to the light trying to select the right shade, and against impossible odds (fluorescent lighting, no testers) I picked the perfect shade - Creamy Natural. I applied this for the first time when I got home, and I was immediately thrilled at the natural coverage, perfect glow - not too shiny, not too matte. The packaging is good too, I tip the loose powder into the dome lid and swirl my brush in there. It reduces mess and your brush picks up all the powder in the lid. The next day I applied this for work - with my Neutrogena concealer applied first - and it looked amazing! My face looked flawless, but not like I was wearing makeup at all. My pores were invisible, my fine lines didn't show and my redness was covered. My skin looked plumped and youthful. All this for $10! I would absolutely buy this again and stock up just in case it is discontinued. **EDIT** I tried this when I was going to be outside in hot weather all day. Unfortunately this was totally gone on my face within a couple of hours (and I was in the shade). I still give it 5 out of 5 though, for the coverage and finish. But there aren't many products that actually do stay on my face! **UPDATE** This is the culprit that has been breaking me out recently. Only a few small minor pimples, but enough so I can't deal with it anymore! I have reduced the rating to a 2 from a 5. If it breaks me out and doesn't stay on my face in hot weather, then it is no use to me. And I loved it too. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2007 6:39:00 PM More reviews by cocacolagirl

For a drugstore mineral powder it is pretty good. Physician's Formula does not label this product as a 'foundation'. Some people on here have referred to it as a mineral foundation. I would not consider it like mineral foundation because when wearing this mineral powder alone it does not have the longer lasting staying power of a mineral powder foundation. It gives good coverage but not as a good as an actual mineral powder foundation.

When this powder is applied over a mineral foundation it gives good coverage, covers large pores and hides redness. It has pretty good staying power.

I don't use this product's kabuki brush. I use the 'Everyday Minerals' baby kabuki brush instead. I think the baby kabuki brush that comes with this product is horrible. The hairs of the brush are not soft and if you apply the powder with this brush over a mineral foundation it seems to wipe off some of your mineral foundation. I have found when wearing a non-mineral long lasting foundation such as 'MaxFactor Long Lasting' this brush does not wipe off the foundation. However, I hardly wear non-mineral foundation and wear mostly a powder mineral foundation (Everyday Minerals Matte Foundation).

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2007 2:25:00 PM More reviews by NotoriousCharity

It's okay for a loose powder. But for a foundation it doesn't last the whole day so it disappeared around mid-day. It was also very messy to apply and not portable with how bulky it was. I had to buy another baby buki brush since the one included started smelling like a goat after a while. It didn't help with my blemishes either. So I've since switched to Revlon's Blemish Colorstay Concealer.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2007 3:40:00 PM More reviews by gudewife

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wow. Really. I have always avoided powder foundation because when I turned 38, someone stole my skin and replaced it with uber-dry sandpaper, and my "rosy" cheeks became a mess of blotches and capillaries. I need good coverage that doesn't get patchy on hot, dry, irritated skin...and did I mention that almost everything burns my skin?

So after MAC Studio Tech (meh...okay, no handstands, a lot of work for okay results) and Loreal Age Perfect (OMG, get this off my face, it burns and stinks to high heaven!) I had pretty much given up. I was intrigued by the reviews for this, so I bought some. Came home, put it on...flake city. Oops. Remove, exfoliate, jojoba oil, reapply.

Wow. The stuff covers. I had doubts, but it covers. It's smooth, no patches, does NOT cling to peach fuzz nearly as badly as most powders, does NOT burn my skin, doesn't smell bad. The finish (to me) seems pretty porcelain/matte, not at all glittery or shiny, which exactly what I like (when I was young, my HG was L'Oreal Mattique for the china doll look...which was easy back then). The translucent fair is not a perfect match, it's just a smidge dark, but good blending down the jawline helps, and it's not THAT bad (and honestly, MAC NC15 is a teesny bit dark). One or two flakes and a few spots where coverage wasn't perfect, but that was with a magnifying mirror at 3 inches away. I'm not complaining. I haven't noticed any transfer, and the staying power is okay...not incredible, but more than respectable. I don't ask much of my makeup, I'd just like to look good for several hours once a month or so. I don't wear it on a regular basis, just when I dress up, so I can let things like that go if it works. I am used to exfoliate-moisturize-prime-correct-conceal-foundation, and I swear, with NO primer or green corrector, this did a good job covering a TON of blotchy, angry redness without looking cakey or powdery. I'm amazed. 10 minutes and I was done (and with experience, I can see this being just a few minutes).

I still haven't had a chance to really get an idea of this in the daytime because it's raining, will have to wait to see if there's an orangey cast in daylight/full sun, but if my luck holds with this, I am hooked. Don't care about the so-so brush or the annoying packaging, it works. It's been so long since something *worked* that not much else matters.

If you are dry, you MUST exfoliate and moisturize before using this, but I am VERY impressed. Never thought a powder could cover this well and look this good on me. Again...Wow.

EDIT: Ok, I *do* see a slight golden/peach cast to it in bright sunlight, but almost everything is too warm for my coloring, so I'm not changing my rating based on just that.

UPDATE AGAIN: Ok, a few months out and still...WOW. I have stopped using green corrector and primer, just sugar to exfoliate, jojoba oil to moisturize, and PF powder. Staying power is still only okay, but this is not an issue for me. I did put it in a different container for packing purposes. And here's the thing...I am MUCH more likely to put on makeup now that it only takes 5 minutes. All in all, it's been a good thing, a much-needed success in the search for makeup that works for me.

ONE MORE EDIT 11/01/07: I never in a million years thought I would be using a powder foundation. As a matter of fact, I had almost given up on makeup altogether when I found this because nothing worked. About 3 months into using it, I actually started crying one day while putting on my makeup because I felt like my face finally looked pretty again...that, to me, is an enormous accomplishment after years of high-priced foundation misery. Seriously...it may not work for everyone, but for me, it was a miracle I never thought I'd find. Total, absolute, ultimate HG foundation for me. Cannot tell you how in love I am with this stuff.

3/2/08: I keep coming back to edit this because I am still in love with it. It has been a bit harder for me to use in the dry-skin days of winter, but I manage. And miracle of miracles, it does NOT burn or flush my skin...if anything, my skin cools down wearing this. Most other products flush my skin so badly that it's hot to the touch, but not this. Just WOW.

11/3/09: Still going strong with this stuff. Improved it even more by using a flat-top brush for better coverage. Love it. I wear makeup more often now, and putting on makeup has gone from being 45 minutes of multi-layer misery to a 5-minute dream. It may not work for everyone, but for me, it's been a lifesaver and a confidence-booster.

1/28/2014: Still using it, still love, 6+ years later. Yay.

33 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2007 1:15:00 PM More reviews by Jasmine1990

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I swore off foundation just because everything i used felt like a mask. so my makeup routine was mascara, concealer, bronzer, and a pressed powder to keep oilys at bay during the day. i was the store and saw this with a package with the matching mineral wear concealer. while i dont like the concealer because it drys to quickly, i really like this. i actually use the brush that comes with it bc i like it!!! anyways u only need a little bit for your whole face. and it just melts into my skin and makes me look flawless!!! also after a long day at work ( i work at marcs which is a walmart meets giant eagle kinda thing-im 17 and needed a summer job) anyways...it stays on perfectly all day. even when my skin starts to get oily my skin just looks dewy and it doesnt wear off at all. i love this and doubt i would need to rebuy it because it looks like itll last forever!!!

edit: i stopped using this a while ago actually i realized u can tell ur wearing makeup with this and that it can turn orange sometimes. would not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2007 12:45:00 AM More reviews by meme222122

I have been using BE (1.2fairly light) for over a year now, and i liked the coverage but i always hated the instant shine/shimmer i would get after applying, i still got the shine after applying the mineral veil before and after application. anyways i liked BE b/c of the light feeling and the coverage but i wanted to go out and find something that would work just as good but without the shine. after doing some research i found that it was the titanium dioxide that was creating the shine, and not the mica that i originally thought. anyways i was searching through MUA to see the reviews on some of the mineral make ups that i found did not have the titanium dioxide. so i decided to buy this brand (in buff beige, a very good match to my skintone) b/c of the good reviews and i am glad that i did. i love, love, love the powder. it has great coverage, feels light, and best of all there is no shine unlike BE. it even has good staying power. i have been using this product for about a week now and i still have not had any breakouts. i did notice that after about 6 hours i started to get oily (probably b.c it is really humid) but i just blotted with one of those oil reducing sheets and everything was good. i do hate the packaging b/c it is hard to get the right amount of product out to get on the brush (this is why i took off one lippie). so i use an empty BE jar and put the product in there (this is much easier). the brush is not too bad, not as rough as some people have made it out to be. but i still do not use it b/c it is too small. i will definitly rebuy if i do not find anything else that is better. i hope that someone from the company will read these reviews and decide to make a change to the packaging.