April 24, 2014 | 2021 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2011 10:16:00 PM More reviews by Mellieb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been using the Nutiva brand (which I got from an organic grocery store) for a week now for my skin and am very pleased. Every morning and night I've been massaging it onto my face, followed by a soap to remove any that is lingering and then a moisturizer. I have extremely oily, acne prone skin. And I find that my complexion has cleared up alot. In fact, I find my face no longer gets as oily throughout the day as it normally does. I've also been eating a tablespoon every morning in my oatmeal and banana (which is delicious by the way). I did try this as a hair treatment but I didn't like the results. It made my hair very staticky (I have thick/dry/damaged hair).

I give this a big thumbs up so far!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2011 10:56:00 PM More reviews by thebobcat64

This gave me whiteheads when I used it as a moisturizer on my face. Works well to moisturize my body, though. My favorite use of it is as a hair treatment. I melt a bit in the microwave and massage it into my scalp and hair and wash it out after twenty minutes. I do it at night so that I'll still be able to shampoo in the morning so it doesn't look oily. I prefer this to olive oil on my hair. I bought a tub two years ago and still have plenty left. I love the smell too.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2011 3:01:00 PM More reviews by SugarBabyRach

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Use it as a face moisturiser. I have dry/combo skin, but it gets very dry in the winter.

I use it while my face is still damp after toning, and give it a few mins to sink in before applying make-up.

No nasty chemicals, just coconut oil. Smells fab as well!

I do melt it into a smaller jar though, so I don't contaminate the whole jar it came in when I put my fingers in to get some for my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2011 2:33:00 PM More reviews by joya12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Its very moisturizing for my skin and feels so soft! just not my face because i have combo skin

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2010 2:18:00 AM More reviews by Olive143

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

11/11/11 - I use this on my scalp and as a deep conditioner/prewash. My scalp doesn't itch as much and really balances out the oils so I don't have to wash my hair as often. Also, leaves my hair super soft.

****************************************************************************
Love it! Only thing I use on my skin now in lieu of the 'traditional' lotion. Strange getting used to scooping this solid out of a jar and rubbing between my hands until it liquefies. Moisturizes like no other drug store lotion can and the smell is lovely. Funny it can be used in lieu of olive oil or any vegetable oil too for cooking. I will definitely alternate my olive oil for this when I cook, soon enough. I can imagine this solid tub of goodness to last me a year.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2010 5:27:00 PM More reviews by bennodalove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

I've used coconut oil for about 5 years now and use it for just about everything. I started off using it just for my hair, which was dry and damaged from all the dyes/chemical straightening/hot tools etc...that I used on it. Coconut oil is one of the best natural nutrition for hair - I regularly massage it on my head to get rid of dandruff and dry scalp. I used to have a lot of dandruff, to the point that if I ran my hand through my hair a whole bunch of flakes would come out (so disgusting, I know) but I no longer have that problem because coconut oil not only hydrates my dry scalp, it helps treat fungal conditons (such as dandruff) as well.

I also use it as a conditioner and deep treatment. I wash my hair once a week and whilst my hair is still damp in the shower (towel dried) I apply a bit of coconut oil throughout the mid-lengths and ends of my hair. Once I've finished washing/shaving/exfoliating...I rinse it out and dry as normal. It helps tame the frizzies and flyaways, and overtime has made my hair a lot healthier and stronger. I use it as a proper deep treatment once a month as it provides the essential proteins required for nourishing damaged hair - I mix melted coconut oil in a bowl with sesame oil, smooth the mixture all over my hair and put a warm towel on my head (turban style) for 3 hours or so whilst I watch a movie. I then rinse with shampoo and regular conditioner. My hair looks more shiny and is a lot easier to style afterwards. It doesn't go all poofy and nasty like it did before, I used to resemble a shaggy baboon but now my hair is frizz free, soft and managable. Occasionally I use it as a serum after flat ironing my hair - only a tiny tiny amount is needed, and I just smooth it on the ends. Makes them feel so smooth and look glossy!

This may sound strange, but I also use it as a relaxing balm. I'm always stressed out because of work and family etc...and often suffer from migraines, so sometimes I just lay down in a dark room and massage coconut oil into my forehead/temples for 10 minutes or so. It really helps calm me down and the massaging action helps soothe my migraines for a while until my medication kicks in.

As for skincare, coconut oil is the best body moisturiser ever! I have dry skin on my body and most body lotions moisturising effects are only short lived. Coconut oil keeps my skin hydrated for days and days on end....it's amazing. My skin feels baby soft and plumped up. It's also good if you have anything like psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections. I had a nasty patch of eczema behind my knees and tried endless prescriptions from my doctors that didn't work...coconut oil got rid of the eczema within 3 days.

Coconut oil has also done wonders for my health. I used to weigh 196 lbs but decided to get healthy and in shape 1.5 years ago after someone I knew died from weight-related problems. Anyway, I replaced all my old cooking oils (sunflower/sesame/olive) with coconut oil and I truly do think it helped aid my weightloss (I am now 123 lbs). Obviously it's not all down to coconut oil as I followed a low carb low fat diet, but coconut oil in no way hurt. My doctor told me coconut oil is very useful in reducing weight because of the short and medium chain fatty acids, not to mention it helps aid the digestion process and keep the thyroid system functioning healthily. I read somewhere it helps boost metabolism (can't say if that's accurate or not as I'm not a scientist) too...makes sense, seeing as countries that have coconut oil as a staple in their diets don't seem to have high rates of overweight or obese people. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to try incorporating coconut oil into your diet, so I'd suggest people should give it a go!

I've tried using this as a makeup remover but it didn't work out - it broke me out in cystic pimples because I could not get rid of the residue left on my face. But it does work really well as an eye makeup remover; doesn't sting my ridiculously sensitive eyes and removes my mascara/eyeliner/eyeshadow quickly. I use if for my nails aswell - I've always had a hard time growing my nails long because they break off, but coconut oil makes them a lot harder and stronger so they grow better.

I always make sure to buy extra virgin olive oil. I get a huge tub for about £9 that lasts me around a year or so. I have tried refined coconut oil but it did nothing for me, so I highly recommend the extra virgin. Sorry for the long review, but I hope it helped some of you. Good luck trying it!

74 out of 80 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2010 4:42:00 PM More reviews by TRGIRL66

I love coconut oil for so many reasons. First in the winter, even living in Florida, my skin is dry. I use a small amount of the oil to precleanse my face and then my proactive cleanser. My skin has been clear and soft. I use it in the am to cleanse and let it sit on before using my proactive treatment and it is not interrupting with the program. I suffer from sever acne and I can say this is not clogging my pores. And my skin just looks soft.

I also use as a body moisturizer after showering but use it OUTSIDE the shower as it makes a mess when it dries in the shower.

I have started taken a Tablespoon a day for my IBS and overall health maintenance, but I am having a hard time swallowing it and may have to switch to the capsules. I have two kinds of coconut oil one EV that I use on body hair, skin and one refined with no smell or taste that I was trying to take internally as I have read how it is pretty much a cure all.

I am going to be loyal with applying at night to my hair as in June I made the mistake of getting a perm and my hair is fried and split ends so bad that clumps have been falling out.

Yes this is a gift from God!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2010 12:58:00 AM More reviews by Obsess1onz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

First of all, I don't think I can find coconut oil in solid form in Asia so I got myself virgin coconut oil in a liquid form from the local spa brand. Smells great and very moisturizing for hair ends. I have some very sensitive scalp and facial skin so I don't normally use this for those areas, always try it on a small spot before lathering on big amount. All in all, I did notice a shinier and healthier hair after a while despite the daily use of dryer and thongs. Cheers.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2010 3:14:00 PM More reviews by EstherR

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've read in beauty magazines the oil is highly recmmended by doctors for EVERYTHING. From cooking to beauty. It's good as make up remover and as moisture.
I use it as night cream because it is too oily for day use and It doesn’t dry. But for night it is very good, also as lip moisture recover.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2010 9:23:00 PM More reviews by jesiij

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great as a hair and skin moisturizer. I also use it for deep treatments for my hair. Best when used on damp skin.makes the skin very soft.