October 31, 2014 | 893 users online

Liquid - Chanel - Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2011 11:08:00 AM More reviews by Emma13

UPDATED REVIEW* This is an epic fail. The more I used this, the less I liked it. I get a much more beautiful and natural look using a heavier, creamier foundaiton (or concealer) sparingly and topping up with Chanel powder. B20 was not yellow enough for me, though it is an acceptable match. The foundation is even sheerer than I expected, seriously more like a tinted moisturiser. Only the finish is more matte than the average TM. The effect is like a soft-focus filter: the skin (and its imperfections, freckles etc.) still show, but less so. It does however still look like makeup - no holy grail there.

This would work for a no-makeup look for people who have nothing to cover. However it also demands a perfectly soft and smooth skin because is highlights dry areas. Finally its supposed to be buildable, but when I tried to apply a second (thin) layer I lose the natural look and it starts to look cakey. A more pigmented product, applied thinly, is much more effective.

What really kills it for me is that it simply does not last. Im not even oily, more combination skin. By noon I *really look like Im not wearing anything. And not in a good way! Simply infuriating, given how expensive this stuff was. (Note: another foundation that disappeared off my face was Lancome Photogenic Lumessence. I loved the finish - at least as pretty as Vitalumiere Aqua! - but it did not stick around.)

I am also concerned about the alcohol content, given that alcohol (the denatured kind) is a seriously bad ingredient for skin. It seems to be in a lot of the new foundations! Why.
Finally Im also not in love with the price.

A note on the packaging. It is plastic, and tiny, so very travel friendly unlike the heavier glass bottles. I had to double-check that the glass bottle and the tiny plastic one actually contain the same amount of product! (Just goes to show how deceiving the glass bottle is.) However, bonus points for practicality.

So: given the extreme lack of coverage while not having a perfect finish; lack of lasting power; and very expensive price - I will not buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2011 12:46:00 PM More reviews by ElektraS

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this foundation, but I find it too powdery for my skin! I wear it in B10 and I think it is slightlys too yellow, I should probably have bought the BR10. I apply it with my Sigma f80 for a medium coverage and I think that it works really well. It looks really natural but still covers. My only complaint is that it looks a bit powdery at the end of the day, (without primer), I am now going to buy the, "blanc de chanel-primer" and see if that helps me. Anyone with any experience with that primer combined with this foundation?

EDIT: I bought the chanel vitalumiere aqua compact, it works sooo much better for my dry skin!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2011 5:58:00 AM More reviews by ValentinaRUS

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am so pissed! I totally love this foundation. I like how you blend and blend and blend it into your skin and it disappears yet making you look radiant. But it broke me out. So will not repurchase

rated 3 of 5 on 10/17/2011 8:30:00 PM More reviews by WakeUpInMakeup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I loved this foundation for the first 3 hours after application. After that, it's doesn't hold up very well on my very oily skin. Also, I have a slight allergic reaction to the perfume in this.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/16/2011 1:55:00 PM More reviews by ilovemarilyn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was so excited to try this, but I should have known better. My skin is so sensitive, and I think the alcohol in this is what made it sting a little bit. The color match was great. I'm NW20 and the B20 was a nice neutral-tone that melted into my skin. I'm learning that I really don't like glowy foundations, since I have uneven skin from acne scarring. The slightly dewy finish is not flattering on me. It's easy to apply and I can see why so many people like it, nice coverage, looks like you're not wearing makeup, but it wasn't for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2011 5:44:00 PM More reviews by eva026

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I bought this foundation a week ago and so far I have to say I'm impressed.
I have dry skin and foundations tend to fall into two categories on me: 1 creamy and moisturising but don't stay on long or 2 liquid that dries my face out, setting into all the fine lines, making me look 10yrs older!
Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua falls into the liquid category so I was a bit sceptical at first.
However I was pleasantly surprised. It doesn't dry me out at all! In fact, after a few minutes it feels and looks like you are wearing nothing but your skin tone and minor imperfections are all evened out - like you have naturally flawless skin. Best of all it stays put all day - no powder.
The coverage is pretty light, although you can get it up to med-light. I do have to use a concealer under my eyes.
It gives your skin a healthy, glowing look which I personally love (I guess those who prefer a matt look may not like it).
I had some problems finding the right colour match so I would make sure you get a tester and wear it a few hours. Especially because the price is quite steep.
The packaging is ok - elegant looking and easy to use (no pump though). I was told to shake it well before using because it tends to separate.
Definitely worth the price!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2011 1:06:00 AM More reviews by kathyn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love the consistency and how easy the application is for this. I just use my hands to apply if I'm in a rush (most mornings) or use a stippling brush when I have more time. It smooths on so easily and feels nice and light on my skin. It has a fragrance but I don't mind this. I have dry skin and prefer to wear light coverage foundations and this is perfect. Only negatives are the price (expensive in Australia) and the fact that you have to shake the bottle.

EDIT: This has become my HG foundation! This gives me enough coverage and doesn't break me out or clog up my skin and is just so easy to apply (with my fingers). LOVE.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2011 12:01:00 AM More reviews by koreydickens

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Just used this product on a client for the first time today and was blown away. The client had dry skin with bumps and blemishes, skin that does not normally carry liquid foundation well. This foundation left her moisturized, dewey, and skin that was lit from within. It was also very light and blended beautifully. Im going to use perfection lumiere on myself tomorrow and I will let everyone know how it works.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/9/2011 12:24:00 PM More reviews by amywmy

what i love : the consistency of this liquid (if that's what it's called ) is fabulous, not too thick, not too watery. Easy to spread throughout the whole face and has a decent coverage. Also does nt clog pores.

What i dislike: it lasts only a few hours, bear in mind i have oily skin and sweat alot (i live in a tropical country). Would not repurchase as the bb cream i'm using has slightly better coverage and the staying power far exceeds this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2011 5:04:00 AM More reviews by stephalison

I cannot even begin to express the extent of my love for this foundation...actually thanks to makeupalley I can, so here I go:
Let me preface by explaining that my skin is ultra-sensitive, even the most gentle cleansers make me break out in hives and my skin becomes irritated extremely quickly. I am paler than an NC15, yet I tend to wear a shade or two darker in foundation anyway as my neck (and body) are a tad darker than my face.
Previously to buying this foundation, I wore Pro Lumiere in 20 Clair. I loved Pro Lumiere, but I felt like my combination skin needed something that was a little bit more matte or set to a more powder finish, as throughout the day Pro Lumiere would slip off the oilier parts of my skin. VitaLumiere Aqua has solved my problem. It stays looking natural, yet has more of a matte feel and sets on my skin rather than staying 'wet'. My skin is pretty clear, but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone searching for a "full coverage foundation". Although, that being said, if you have a good concealer (MAC Studio Finish/Laura Mercier Secret Camoflage) you actually could get a good, natural look with this foundation and still cover up some nasty spots. On days where my skin isn't looking its peak, I mix a little bit of Pro Lumiere with my VitaLumiere Aqua to get a bit more coverage. I actually find that I'm loving the look of the two mixed even more than both of them separately. I haven't had any adverse reactions to it yet (although I have heard some people do react badly to Chanel face products) and I'm currently half-way through my second bottle.
Just so you know, the colours in VitaLumiere Aqua are different from the colours in Pro Lumiere. I wear 20 Clair in Pro Lumiere and B20 Beige Tendre in VitaLumiere Aqua, but have found that the 20 Clair is significantly darker than the B20 Beige Tendre. This may be because of the formulation differences, or just because there different colours, but I suggest you go match yourself at a counter rather than ordering online.