Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash

2.8

Active: Salicylic Acid (2%), Other: Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Disodium EDTA, Benzalkonium Chloride , Yellow 5, Red 40, Fragrance 07/2013

on 1/30/2009 10:13:00 PM

i wouldn't say this product is very bad. i have combination skin and its also very sensitive. so if i use the wrong product than uh oh for me but this product worked for me. i breakout a lot but mostly rashes. i have a oily t-zone and it helped get rid of it. my face feel a little tight but refreshed after using it. it was a little dry for my cheeks though since its the dry area of my face. a little moisturizer would fix it.

on 1/27/2009 4:54:00 PM

Let me start with saying, I normally love Neutrogena products. However, this one... not so much. I am definately not a fan of the cheap-soap smell. But more importantly this did nothing for my acne. My acne only got worse after using this and the product dried my face out. Overall, not a great product and would not buy this again.

on 1/25/2009 1:39:00 PM

Smells like crap. Too light of a cleanser. Makes my face feel clean I suppose, but does NOTHING for my acne. It made me break out even more. =( Also, it made my skin oilier.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It does help with my acne,so I guess it does what it claims to do, but I really hated the smell. It smells like the cheap soap in the bathrooms at rest areas.
Also, I didn't feel very clean, it felt like it left a film on my face, but that could be because I normally use stronger cleansers, this in comparison was very gentle.

on 1/24/2009 3:00:00 AM

I like this cleanser. I used to get really bad acne whenever I'd get stressed out but this has done a good job of keeping pimples at bay. I am an OSPW in Dr. Baumann's "Skin Type Solution" book. The only thing I don't like about it is that it can dry out your less-oily areas. I don't like to moisturize near my breakout-prone area (forehead) but I've noticed that I can get flaky if I don't after using this cleanser.

on 1/18/2009 4:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I've used this for years and love it. I have oily skin that's pretty tolerant, so this doesn't feel drying for me. I've recently started using this with a soft sponge, and my skin does feel smoother.

on 1/16/2009 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

This product kinda works. It helps to keep acne under control, but does not solve acne problem. A new pimple would always come up every week as the old ones go away. Does nothing for scars, and left little bumps on my cheeks, My derm recommended this to me to go along with this acne treatment, and they both were a lost

on 1/11/2009 11:26:00 PM

I love this stuff. I wish it was fragrance- and color-free but I use it anyways 'cause nothing gets my skin softer or cleaner. Granted that I have the oiliest skin of anyone I know. I can imagine this would be pretty drying for anyone without oily skin. But if you're "blessed" with skin like mine, you need some heavy duty oil-clearing and exfoliating from your cleanser. It also rinses clean - another great quality that I do not take for granted in a cleanser.

on 1/11/2009 10:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

this product made my face extremely dry. i had patches of severely dry spots that were irritated and noticeable. i would never buy this again.

on 1/11/2009 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I'm writing this review primarily for my boyfriend, who just just stated, "If you want to feel like a nuclear bomb went off on your face, try Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash."

I'm running low on my standard face care, but expecting a refill package soon. Not wanting to waste what precious little product I have left, my boyfriend picked this up and has been using it for the past week or so. He's a man of 33 and has generally smooth, clear skin- until he tried this junk, that is. Now he's got red, dry, taut skin with a harsh smattering of zits across his forehead.

I remember the horror of this stuff back from when I was a teen, and pegged this as the culprit immediately. To be sure that it was the Neutrogena and not anything else giving him the skin problems, I tried using this for a day myself. Wouldn't you know it, I ended up with irritated red skin, as well, just like I did when my dermatologist forced this on me when I was maybe 13 or so. This is the same man who suggested that scrubbing with (lye-filled) Ivory soap would cure my eczema, so it's truly a wonder the man didn't become a famous skin guru. I can see from the reviews on this thread that similar geniuses are still doling out that bad advice. Sure, this stuff is cheap, but it will ruin your skin.

I know I'm beyond the age demographic for Neutrogena's Oil-Free Acne Wash, but my advice still stands. Teenagers, there are far better products out there, so if someone tells you to buy this crap, ignore that person. Please.