October 26, 2014 | 1593 users online

Hair - Moroccanoil - Moroccan Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2010 9:15:00 PM More reviews by Matillyrose

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

When I first tried this oil I couldn't stop raving about it. My hair was silky, soft and manageable.

After about 3 uses I started to notice that my hair was frizzy, dry, looked oily which is a major feat in itself as I have very dry hair and was unmanageable. It was like I had gone from one extreme to another.

I have waist length curly hair and found I was having to wash more often.

Continued use for about a month my hair became dull and dry and when I applied Moroccan oil it looked greasy and lifeless.

I stopped using it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2010 1:15:00 AM More reviews by rockkitty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Wow, I really didn't want to like this product, especially since I'm a stylist at an Aveda salon! However, already having thick, medium/coarse hair, and after going from almost black hair to flaming red (which took two 35-volume bleach-and-tones), my hair needed some rescuing that I simply wasn't getting from Aveda products. My friend raved about this stuff and it's only about 7 bucks for the small bottle at Industry Source (professional salon supplier) so I figured I'd try it out.

I use it when my hair is damp, not soaking wet. I finger dry with the dryer until hair is about 60-70% dry then apply the product evenly from midlengths to ends, then finish styling with a round brush. You would never know how damaged my hair is! It looks glossy, shiny, and amazingly healthy without being greasy or weighed down.

I also use the hair mask, which I'll write a review for soon.

I forgot to mention that, while it's not its main selling point for me, I do love the smell of this product (as does my boyfriend, which is unusual).

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2010 6:00:00 PM More reviews by MAviva

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm a bit unsure which Morocconoil product this section is supposed to be for. I've tried 2 Morocconoil products: (1) the Oil Treatment (2) Hydrating Styling Cream.

Both products smell the same, and I really like the scent.

Oil Treatment: This product is supposed to restore shine, reduce drying time, and strengthen and condition. It did make my hair dry faster, but my hair wasn't really shinier and I couldn't tell if this product was doing anything for me. I do not buy this product any more (I bought a small bottle one time).

Hydrating Styling Cream (with pump): I love this product! It's supposed to provide a soft hold, and it definitely does. The first time I used it, I let my hair air dry, and my curls/waves dried beautifully in my hair (and almost no frizz as long as I refrained from touching my hair too much)! My curls were soft and shiny and they held all day. I've also straightened my hair with a flat iron after using this product (and letting my hair dry of course), and it looked great and held up very well. I've been using this product for about 2 months, and it's still working really well in this hot, sticky weather.
I use about 2 pumps worth (half-dollar size). I pump into my palm, rub my hands together, and then I start by applying it about 3 inches down from my part and down to the tips. After raking my hands through my hair around by face a few times, I rake my hands through the back... then I run my hands underneath and through all my hair (but not near the roots at the top of my head). My hair always feels so soft now. As long as I stop touching my hair as soon as it seems to start being dry, I avoid getting it frizzy.

Edit: I've stopped using this and switched to John Frieda Frizz-Ease Curl Boosting Mousse. While the Moroccan Oil cream made my hair soft, touching it would make ,y hair frizzy (and I constantly touch my hair to move it out of my face). With the Frizz Ease mousse I'm getting way less frizz and I wear my hair down much more frequently. (changed to 4 lip sticks because I think the mousse it better for defining curl and reducing frizz).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2010 7:33:00 PM More reviews by missnat

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am updating this review and going from 4 to 5 stars for this stuff since I tried it as a blow dry serum. My hair has never looked or felt as good. It was so incredibly shiny, but not in a silicone drops way-it just looked naturally glossy, without being limp! I also use the oil on wet hair then air-dry in a bun. It comes out very soft, silky, and not oily at all. My hair is long and highlighted so it needs extra conditioning. I don't know why people get oily from this, as I use a quarter-sized puddle, and I don't have thick hair. The only thing I don't like is that it is made mostly of a lot of 'cones and chemicals,with argan oil only listed as the 5th ingredient, so I'm not sure that it really has any protective or therapeutic value at all. As for frizz, it's not better than the average anti-frizz product for me, but at least it doesn't make my hair oily and limp like so many of the anti-frizz drops do. About the fragrance-I really hate it. It's very strong and earth-muffiny, clashes with my crisp, fresh perfume, and it doesn't go away in time, so, sadly, I don't use this all the time.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2010 5:23:00 PM More reviews by Limber

EXCELLENT! I comb a dime sized portion of this heavenly oil through my wet hair before drying then again prior to styling. It keeps my hair shiny, soft and most importantly, well protected. Since the day I started using this, my hair has felt post-salon-esque every day. What a treat for damaged hair!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2010 10:48:00 PM More reviews by psmitty

For the shine spray: by far the worst I've used, although Aveda's was close. No matter what I did, my hair was dull and greasy, with no positive effects. I have fairly smooth, thick, straight hair and most shine sprays work really well on me. I love Tresemme (amazing value and product) and L'Anza's excellent shine gel which was discontinued. There is absolutely no excuse for this over-priced, poorly-performing product when so many inexpensive ones do a great job. Not worth it!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/4/2010 11:35:00 PM More reviews by glvazquez

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Celebrity hyped Moroccan oil was probably my worst makeup purchase of last year. I have wavy thick hair which is probably the kind of hair that would most likely benefit from this type of product ,yet even a dime sized amount makes my hair the equivalent of the BP oil spill.
Don't waste your money.Garnier Fructis silicone drops are less oily and as effective for a fraction of the price.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2010 11:06:00 PM More reviews by k9muttlover

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am not sure how they can get away with marketing this product as an "oil" - it's nothing but a bunch of silicones with a drop of argan oil.

If you use silicone serums and like them, this product will probably do well for you. It's an awful expensive serum and what I'd call average for sure.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2010 6:51:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

I'm a bit late on the Moroccanoil boat. For some reason, I thought it was like argan oil (which I have used on my skin and hair before), so I decided not go buy it. However, after seeing all of the editorials, I decided to give it a try. I purchased the small bottle at Duane Reade for $13.99. For reference, I have shoulder length color treated hair that is thick and slightly wavy. It has a tendency to frizz, but the roots are also oily.

Moroccanoil is a lightweight serum - proportionately has more silicones than any oil, so if you are wary of oil, this should be fine. I use about a nickel sized amount on damp hair, working in from the ends to about half an inch from the roots. I find this absorbs quickly, and when my hair dries, it just feels very soft and smooth. I have tried this both with heat styling and with air drying, and both have yielded about the same results, so I don't think any of the ingredients are heat activated.

The packaging, as some have noted, is slightly cumbersome, because there is no pump, and the bottle is glass. I've been super careful not to spill or knock it over. The smell is slightly coconutty (less nutty than pure argan), and the serum is a mid-brown color, a bit lighter than maple syrup.

I did take off a lippie because this isn't as good as my Phytodefrisant at keeping frizzies at bay. On super humid days, I am still frizzy. Overall, though, I do like Moroccanoil and find that it gives my hair a nice, smooth texture on normal days. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2010 8:08:00 PM More reviews by OfYourHeart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought the small bottle of this for about $15 after using this at my friend's house. The price is pretty average for salon hair care.
The packaging quality I gave a 1. For the ammount I use (about 1/2 a dime size for below shoulder length dry hair), it needs to have a pump instead of a dump-out bottle. When there is oil all over my hands, it is difficult to close and hold. Hair also gets wrapped around the neck of the bottle if you close after applying. The only good thing is the dark-amber color to preserve the solution.
My hair is wavy and fine. I use it after I straighten my hair. It leaves it with a beautiful shine and less frizzy. It also makes my ends less fried from bleaching and heat-styling. I only use it from my ears down or it gets greasy.
I notice I use less and it works better on dry hair than wet. It does allow my hair to dry faster if I apply wet though.
Overall, good product! I use it daily and have noticed again. I will buy again...at least until I find something better.