April 18, 2014 | 1928 users online

Treatments - Retin A

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2003 3:31:00 AM More reviews by bellabambina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My personal experience is that Retin-A is super-nasty stuff and damn expensive to boot! It may help some people, but it wasn't for me! It is strong stuff so be prepared for some major drying, peeling, cracking, and oh yes, the rash of blemishes (that will certainly result in scarring) that the instructions claim are SUPPOSED to happen as a result of the skin "getting used to the treatment and the pores cleaning themselves" or whatever crap they tell you! I couldn't believe I was putting stuff on my face that made it 100 times worse!! After a week of this crap on my face and the resulting breakouts and peeling of my skin and lips I looked like I came from hell, or something. I had had enough--I was traumatized by the experience of using this bizarre product. Thank God I eventually got with Paula's skin care regimen. All I needed was a good irritant-free cleanser and effective BHA (unlike most of the stuff out there, Paula's does work) to take care of my blemishes and not some expensive pharmaceutical that the MD's tried to push on me. I only wish I had read Paula's books much earlier. BY THE WAY: My experience with dermatologists is that mostly they are 1) horribly uneducated and incompetent (Paula Begoun knows more about what's good for my skin than any MD I have ever been to), 2) they are in some instances practically like snake-oil salesmen (trying to sell you much-hyped products and services that DON'T DELIVER AS PROMISED and can even have side-effects and cause damage) and 3) a total waste of time. They are really just out there to make money first, even if they can't help you (because they are so clueless and incompetent)!! For example the so-called doctor I went to who prescribed Retin-A for me...if she had bothered to ask me only a couple of questions about my skin, she would have realized Retin-A was NOT good for my skin type, considering my medical and skin history and other factors. But she didn't because she wasn't a good doctor (AND, she did countless other things that didn't work or caused my skin harm). In fact, I've never even encountered a decent dermatologist. Paula Begoun is the one that solved my skin problems, and she's no MD, just a very smart woman!!! So if you see a derm, please be very very careful.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2003 5:35:00 PM More reviews by blondeambitioned

Retin-A has never worked for me, or anybody else I know who has tried it. Even the so-called more 'gentle' versions of this do not work. My dermatologist prescribed me this to combat my oily skin, and I used this for over 8 months, hoping that I would find an improvement in my skin. All it did was make my skin painfully sensitive and make it break out much, much more. Retin-A is hands down the worst thing I have ever put on my skin.
I use Avita Gel now, which is a MUCH more effective version of Retin-A, without the added 'heavy cream' that they put in with Retin-A that clogs your pores.
If you're looking into trying Retin-A, try Avita Gel first, it is much more effective. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2003 9:54:00 PM More reviews by d_E_S_S

Love 0.1% Retin A Micro, too. I had persistent acne, in small clusters between the brows and mid-cheeks. PTR AHA/BHA Acne gel cleared some of them up, but most of the improvements came from Retin A Mico. I've only been on this for about 3 weeks, but I suspect it will clear everything up in time. It has prevented a lot of the acne (cystic + pus-filled) from starting. A little drying but that's just a very mild side effect. Progress has been slow(hence the 4) but very consistent.

***UPDATE -- Clindoxyl (by Stiefel - containing 1% clindomycin and 5% benzoyl peroxide) cleared up my skin entirely, nips new pimples in the bud so prevents any new pimples. I LOVE CLINDOXYL!! I now have the smoothest, smoothest skin. Retin A Micro is good but a few small pimples came back, and Retin A couldn't do the job. Clindoxyl has managed to clear it all up. BUT I will continue to use Micro A occasionally as it's a acne-friendly form of retinol/retinoid so will hopefully reverse any sun damage without triggering any new acne on my oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2003 12:01:00 AM More reviews by TopNote

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I don't know what I would do without it. I'm on Retin A Micro, I use both .1% and .04 % strengths. Be prepared for it to get worse before it gets better. I experienced redness, flaking, peeling and even soreness. I contemplated quitting but now I am glad I hung in there. My skin looks clearer, brighter, and I actually look decent without makeup. Only thing is your skin is ultra sensitive while on this medication, so treat your skin with the utmost care.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/21/2003 11:18:00 PM More reviews by saranja

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I did not have a good reaction to this medication. I have very sensitive skin and this made it itch and peel like crazy. I could not wait to get it off my face. My dermatologist switched me to Differin, but the reaction was the same.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2002 5:55:00 PM More reviews by raetana

this product changed my life.After suffering from acne well after my teenage years I went to the doctor and got a prescription for retin a.
I think I have sensitive skin benzoil peroxide makes me look like someone poured acid on my face,But the retin a didn't bother me at all except for occasional dryness.If you pat some creme de lamer on your face after you apply
your retin a I swear you will look like you had a face lift after a few weeks.All the tiny lines,large pores,acne,and discoloration will begin to vanish.So instead of investing all your money in over the counter remedies, visit your local dermatologist. It's well worth it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2002 6:41:00 PM More reviews by mandy_mann

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Retin A

I had chin breakouts for quite some time before giving Retin A a try.

Retin A has kept my chin breakouts under control beatifully; people think I have flawless skin. Keep in mind that you do need to get it from your dermatologist and you need her to supervise your use for the first while.

You will definitely have to modify all aspects of your skincare program (no hot water, harsh scrubs, hot water, face cloths or bar soap or astringent. Wash your face with Cetaphil and always wear an SPF 15 sunscreen when you go outside. Keep a fragrance-free moisturizer handy to deal with that 'cracked' feeling.) because your skin will be very sensitive the first several months.

It wont 'cure' your acne but it will help control your breakouts. That is the idea: stopping breakouts before they start.

I have used Retin A for several years now and will never stop for the beautiful skin it gives me.

Hint: Avoid the gel formulation if you have sensitive skin. Gel will burn. Go for the cream formulation instead. continued >>

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No