November 1, 2014 | 1076 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2010 11:45:00 PM More reviews by dukechickie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This may be my HG foundation! I've been using the Diorskin Nude, which I also love. They both look natural on my skin - not too makeup-y - but this helps keep my oily skin matte (for a while, at least). Like its name would imply, this foundation gives a velvety finish, but it doesn't feel thick or gunky at all. I don't need too much coverage (just need to cover redness and I use concealer to spot conceal acne scars), and this is perfect without giving me a mask-like visage. I also like the squeeze tube - very compact and hygienic!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/8/2010 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Julia2007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My skin is combination-oily. I usually have a few breakouts on my skin at any given time, and I have marks from past acne that are taking forever to fade. I need a full-coverage to cover the breakouts and the past acne marks. I decided to try this after watching several videos on YouTube in which Makeupbytiffanyd raves about this foundation. According to her, this foundation is perfect. She says it covers well, looks natural, and in one video she even says all skintypes can use it. In several videos she says to not be scared by the name, because it is actually not that matte. I couldn't disagree more. Luckily, the SA at Sephora was kind enough to give me a generous sample of this, so I didn't actually purchase. I wore it for several days. I kept wanting to like it, but it just never looked right on me. It was way too matte. It looked unnatural, not at all like skin.Also, it was thick and diffiult to blend, so it ended up looking patchy. My skin actually looked worse with this on, and that is a difficult feat, given the poor state of my complexion. If you still want to try it, at least get a sample first. (As a side-note, I did not like MUFE HD foundation either. I also found it unnatural looking and difficult to blend; I guess there is something about MUFE foundations that don't work with my skin.)

rated 2 of 5 on 12/7/2010 9:35:00 PM More reviews by gatsbygarbo

I went through 1 and a half bottles of this foundation, it was my HG for most of winter 09, it does have great coverage and loved how it made my skin look. summer came along and i started noticing how heavy it felt (my skin tends to be alot more oilier in summer and drier in winter) the effect wasnt the same, it felt like my whole face was melting away on those very hot and humid days. i was not happy.. a friend recommended clinique and ever since i havent gone back to MUFE.. i will not repurchase this

rated 1 of 5 on 12/5/2010 1:57:00 PM More reviews by StrawberryMojito

I have oily skin, not natural looking at all.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by DontWorryAboutIt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Okay let me start out by saying this is a great foundation!... But people with dry skin beware. I say you should avoid this foundation all together. I first saw this on a friend and asked her what makeup she was using because it looked great on her! So airbrushed looking but still natural. I went and tried it out right away because I'm always on the hunt for a HG foundation. Didn't take long to settle into pores/fine lines, look cakey, and make my dry skin even more obvious (even with a good moisturizer & primer). Not everyone's skin is the same and something that looks amazing on one person can look horrendous on another. I had to learn this lesson again the hard way. Damn dry skin! But if you have normal to oily skin this might just be the perfect foundation for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2010 12:21:00 AM More reviews by katmac

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased this product after watching Tiffany D on YouTube do multiple tutorials with it. I must say, it does live up to the hype in terms of coverage and wear. I put this on at 7 am and it still looked pretty good at 7 pm. I'm normal to combo, so not sure how uber oily ladies would do with this. Mat Velvet + comes in a nifty little squeeze bottle, allowing you to adjust the amount you use with minimal product waste and no product contamination. A little bit goes a long way, but I never found this to look cakey or heavy on my skin. Rather it provides a medium-full coverage that looks like skin and doesn't sink into lines, whether I used a primer or not.
After all this, sadly, Mat Velvet + fails to be a holy grail for me and won't be repurchased due to the pitiful color range. I'm NC20 (25 in summer)/light olive toned and could NOT get a good match. 20 was too light and required tons of bronzer, 30 much too pink, 40 had a great undertone but was much too dark. I suppose 20 and 40 mixed would work, but why should I have to mix when there are great foundations out there that make shades to match me? So all in all, a great formulation if you can find a match.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2010 9:55:00 PM More reviews by prettyironic

This is my HG in liquid foundations! I have a really oily skin but this helps my face stay matte without looking too made up. It blend sin my skin tone, it doesn't grease nor slide. I love it! Plus the packaging is great. It didn't break me out unlike Revlon Photoready. It's pricey but it's worth it. :) Would definitely buy again :)

rated 2 of 5 on 11/25/2010 3:16:00 PM More reviews by abusleb

Unnatural looking. Color doesn't match my skin tone (#25). Drying. Settles in pores to some extent. Just used a sample so I don't know if ti would break me out but it's not great anyway.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2010 1:26:00 PM More reviews by marbleeyes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I just bought this product this week, I really like the look of a mat finish and this does the trick.
I do not have oily skin so I do not have a lot of shine issues but the finish is great and I find it easy to blend.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 4:10:00 PM More reviews by Utopia22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am really not impressed with this foundation. It does not seem to melt into my skin as I want it to do. Somehow - I can't really explain it - it emphasizes my flaws... Maybe because it's so drying. I really look old and tired with this on my face. All the life has gone, there's no healthy glow. Strange how something can really be too matte. Second con: It does not cover up my blemishes at all... Which is why I bought it so this really does a poor job. They sold it to me as a full coverage foundation, it's more a light/medium one.
It is the palest foundation I've ever seen. One lippy for the clean packaging and the good color range. Another for the fact that it is one of those rare foundations without spf, which is why I bought it in the first place. I really do not want to look like a ghost in pictures so I believe too many cosmetics have too many spf in them :)
Very disappointed this did not work out for me.
**If you're looking for a high performance full cover foundation that even looks natural, check into Estee Lauder's maximum cover foundation; works like a dream!**