September 21, 2014 | 2056 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by DontWorryAboutIt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Okay let me start out by saying this is a great foundation!... But people with dry skin beware. I say you should avoid this foundation all together. I first saw this on a friend and asked her what makeup she was using because it looked great on her! So airbrushed looking but still natural. I went and tried it out right away because I'm always on the hunt for a HG foundation. Didn't take long to settle into pores/fine lines, look cakey, and make my dry skin even more obvious (even with a good moisturizer & primer). Not everyone's skin is the same and something that looks amazing on one person can look horrendous on another. I had to learn this lesson again the hard way. Damn dry skin! But if you have normal to oily skin this might just be the perfect foundation for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2010 12:21:00 AM More reviews by katmac

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased this product after watching Tiffany D on YouTube do multiple tutorials with it. I must say, it does live up to the hype in terms of coverage and wear. I put this on at 7 am and it still looked pretty good at 7 pm. I'm normal to combo, so not sure how uber oily ladies would do with this. Mat Velvet + comes in a nifty little squeeze bottle, allowing you to adjust the amount you use with minimal product waste and no product contamination. A little bit goes a long way, but I never found this to look cakey or heavy on my skin. Rather it provides a medium-full coverage that looks like skin and doesn't sink into lines, whether I used a primer or not.
After all this, sadly, Mat Velvet + fails to be a holy grail for me and won't be repurchased due to the pitiful color range. I'm NC20 (25 in summer)/light olive toned and could NOT get a good match. 20 was too light and required tons of bronzer, 30 much too pink, 40 had a great undertone but was much too dark. I suppose 20 and 40 mixed would work, but why should I have to mix when there are great foundations out there that make shades to match me? So all in all, a great formulation if you can find a match.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2010 9:55:00 PM More reviews by prettyironic

This is my HG in liquid foundations! I have a really oily skin but this helps my face stay matte without looking too made up. It blend sin my skin tone, it doesn't grease nor slide. I love it! Plus the packaging is great. It didn't break me out unlike Revlon Photoready. It's pricey but it's worth it. :) Would definitely buy again :)

rated 2 of 5 on 11/25/2010 3:16:00 PM More reviews by abusleb

Unnatural looking. Color doesn't match my skin tone (#25). Drying. Settles in pores to some extent. Just used a sample so I don't know if ti would break me out but it's not great anyway.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2010 1:26:00 PM More reviews by marbleeyes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I just bought this product this week, I really like the look of a mat finish and this does the trick.
I do not have oily skin so I do not have a lot of shine issues but the finish is great and I find it easy to blend.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 4:10:00 PM More reviews by Utopia22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am really not impressed with this foundation. It does not seem to melt into my skin as I want it to do. Somehow - I can't really explain it - it emphasizes my flaws... Maybe because it's so drying. I really look old and tired with this on my face. All the life has gone, there's no healthy glow. Strange how something can really be too matte. Second con: It does not cover up my blemishes at all... Which is why I bought it so this really does a poor job. They sold it to me as a full coverage foundation, it's more a light/medium one.
It is the palest foundation I've ever seen. One lippy for the clean packaging and the good color range. Another for the fact that it is one of those rare foundations without spf, which is why I bought it in the first place. I really do not want to look like a ghost in pictures so I believe too many cosmetics have too many spf in them :)
Very disappointed this did not work out for me.
**If you're looking for a high performance full cover foundation that even looks natural, check into Estee Lauder's maximum cover foundation; works like a dream!**

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2010 11:36:00 PM More reviews by shorty87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Overall, this is a decent foundation. FYI I am NC 20-25 and I was matched with #40. It looks good at first but it does not stay on long enough for me. It covers well enough - medium to full coverage; reduces shine. I applied it with fingers and Sigma's flat top kabuki and it wasn't exactly the smoothest blending. For some reason, it just did not look natural and blended enough for me. Only when i dust it with powder on top would it look nice. Then it lasted maybe 6 - 8 hours. I like it but only at first =P wouldn't buy this again though.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2010 10:28:00 AM More reviews by miinx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

The gist?

PROS:
-Huge range of shades and undertones, from super pale to super dark.
-Cheaper than many other high end foundations
-Nice packaging that is sanitary, but still allows you to control how much product you're dispensing
-Really, truly oil-proof, water-proof, sweat proof. No shininess to be found and won't budge all day.

CONS:
-Too matte looking to look natural. The matte finish magnifies any skin imperfections and uneven texture. Can be cakey.
-Need to use a TON of product to get medium-full coverage
-Extremely hard to work with and blend.

I rate this stuff as purely okay. It does what is claims - mattifies and keeps oil at bay, as well as being pretty darn waterproof. However, I'm not sure I like the look of this foundation and find it a bit difficult to work with.

Its certainly not a bad product, and some may prefer the ultra matte look and find dewier foundations to disagree with their oily skin, but I don't think mat velvet looks particularly natural - which is a big factor when I choose a foundation.

I've been an MUFE HD devotee for a while now. I have oily skin, particularly in the T-zone, which was resulting in some serious shine with the HD that was only partially alleviated by mattifying powder. However, SOME shine is natural, and the HD did look nice on.

That said - I had heard rave reviews about Mat Velvet and have loved MUFE products, so I decided to give it a go in hopes that it could still give me a natural finish and keep my oily skin controlled a little better than HD managed to.

I used this stuff as always, on top of a moisturized face with Laura Gellar Spackle primer.

The first thing I noticed was that it was extremely difficult to spread and get full coverage - MUFE HD is much more fluid than this - Mat Velvet really seemed to grab hold to wherever it was first applied, and be really resistant to blending out. I used a MAC 187 brush and I felt like I needed to use a ton of product to get decent coverage and fully blend over my face compared to the HD.

The second thing I noticed was that after first applying, it looked pretty matte, and not in a good way. It looked unnatural - almost cakey and corpse-like. Not flattering. A light dusting of HD powder on my nose and some cream blush seemed to alleviate it a little bit, but I still think it looked mask like.

Once my oiliness cropped up it kept it at bay and started to look a little better, but I'm still not sure it looked really convincing. It was very obvious I was wearing foundation, and it caked in the corners of my nose and my smile lines, which arent ever even noticable with other foundations. Any flakes or blemishes are magnified 10 times over with this stuff on. Not a flattering look. On the bright side, I never got shiny and this stuff truly is waterproof, oil proof, and smudge proof - it stayed put for a good 16 hours, no melting or fading.

That said, this stuff is just a little too hard to work with and too matte of a finish to look natural. If you have perfect, but oily skin with no blemishes or uneven texture to worry about, i suppose this stuff could work - but if you have any uneven texture, the slightest hint of lines, or blemishes.. this stuff just seems to make them look worse. I'll stick with the HD and continue my hunt for a decent mattifying gel to use on my t-zone.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2010 5:50:00 AM More reviews by lalsamiksha

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is my second most fav foundation after EL double wear . I have really oily skin, really oily is an understatement. Whenever I wear foundation, any kind of liquid foundation , it tends to wear off after 3 hours. I have always had trouble choosing the right foundation which can stay for atleast 6-8 hours.

This foundation works brilliantly on my skin type. I have acne prone skin and this foundation hasn broken me out. It gives medium to full coverage which is good, cos i have blemishes aswell, which need to be hidden. It does not cover a big red pimple , for tat I use a concealer.But over all this product does give a pretty good coverage.
The only draw back is that i have to keep touching up my face once every 3 hours, which i a ok with as long as the foundation works brilliantly.

Surprisingly i have found the right shade, which does not makes me look too bright or too dark . Its just perfect

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2010 11:50:00 AM More reviews by macstar05

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have combination skin, I only get oily in my tzone. This is my favorite foundation so far, with this you get medium coverage but its build-able. It is very light weight, i apply it with a stippling brush my MAC 187 and it looks great. If you want a long lasting foundation this is it! For reference I am an NC 40and i got # 35 i think i can got with a #40 as well but # 35 will do for the winter.