April 20, 2014 | 1688 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet PLUS Matifying Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2010 11:27:00 AM More reviews by nola80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have very oily face with dry patches around the eyes and chin area and although this foundation gives fantastic coverage and the most mattifying foundation I've ever used it does emphasize my large pores and dry patches. It's such a beautiful coverage absolutely no powder needed and perfect color match. Like the other reviewers said, the bottle is kind of annoying wished it had a pump. Now that it's getting colder out I'll probably have to put this up and take it back out this summer to get ready for those 100 degree days! Overall, if you have oily skin but it's pretty flawless this would be perfect, I do have to use a primer since it dries so fast it's difficult to blend sometimes.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2010 7:29:00 PM More reviews by MoonLightAngel0

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

So I figured after using this foundation for over a year I would review it. Let me explain my skin type first though! So I have dry/ to combo skin that is acne prone and very sensitive. This foundation is the only foundation ( thus far) that I always come back to. When I started using it this foundation I needed a fuller coverage because of hormonal breakouts, and this did the job! I use the lightest shade ( #15 Alabaster) and My skin color is about N5- N10 depending on the season. This is a perfect match! It covers everything and Yet it is thick, That is what you are asking for when purchasing a full coverage foundation. I must say if you use too much it can look cakey, and mask like. This foundation doesn't break me out at all because it is water based, and didn't react any certain way to my skin. I still use this foundation ( on third, almost fourth bottle) yet I don't need as full of a coverage as it provides so I use it with a damp sponge and apply that way. and it dries to a lovely finish!! Leaves my skin looking glowy and amazing! I found I had no problems with it showing my dry patches, but If I do I will edit this post. The only con I have about it is that it dries semi quickly so you have to work a little faster than usual. If you are ghostly pale like me with some acne/ redness problems I wouldn't recommend anything else!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2010 12:50:00 AM More reviews by forbidden_desire

I bought this because I had tried MUFE's HD Microfinishing powder, which works wonders in keeping my makeup flawless, so I wanted to try this too especially since I've heard good things about it. I have extremely oily skin and I hate having to touch up several times and still looking shiny by midday. So as much as I wanted to love this foundation, unfortunately though for me, it didn't solve any of those problems. It says medium to heavy coverage but it didn't really do a good job of covering my undereye circles and dark spots that I have from acne scars. It's also supposed to be buildable, but it looked really cakey when I was outdoors (though it did look very nice indoors). I still have to blot frequently throughout the day with this on and it doesn't really seem to be anything special that makes it stand out from other foundations, especially for the price. I will be returning this and hope to find something with better coverage and mattifying power.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2010 11:36:00 PM More reviews by JoSummers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love the bottle design. I don't like bottles like the MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 comes in because I don't like how you have to pour the makeup. I feel like this bottle design is great because the makeup stays in the nozzle and isn't wasted as it runs low. It is a little hard to manipulate on your face-- it's like it dries too fast. However, it gives great moderate-to-heavy coverage without the SPF sheen. It also has great staying power on oily skin. I wore this makeup on my wedding day and my skin looked flawless. I didn't even have to touch my makeup up. This is an excellent foundation in my opinion.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2010 11:05:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

I thought I would really like this foundation. I had tried the F&B and found it to be a great color match but a little on the shiny side. So I purchased the Mat Velvet as I prefer not to shine so much. I chose the same color as I wear in the F&B (shade 20) and it was a little too pale for me. Not too much, but enough so that I can see a difference. It also made my face look chalky in places, especially under my eyes. It held up pretty well in the heat, and with sweating it was still mostly there. It only stayed matte for a little while though, but I do get oily on my nose and forehead. I also developed a rash on my face from this foundation, it couldn't have been any other product. I doubt I would buy this again even if I didn't have a reaction to it. I do love the way this goes on smoothly but cannot stand the chalkiness. Even if I chose a different shade, I still donít like this effect. I will return this to Sephora as it just isnít doing anything for me. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 9/4/2010 3:52:00 PM More reviews by hermommy09

I bought this because this summer my skin started getting really oily and no other foundation would hold up. I kept hearing raves about this and i watch tiffanyd's YT videos and her skin always looks amazing and she swears by this stuff so i got it. I think this is a good foundation for maybe more normal skin, but on my oily skin it only stays matte for a few hours at most. I hate blotting so that's a downfall. also the price, to me, is really expensive. I dont think i'll be buying this once i run out, as I hope to find something better

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2010 2:39:00 PM More reviews by Melinalove

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My HG foundation! I love it, very easy to apply, looks natural and covers all my acne and scars! I don't have to use concealer with this because it already covers everything for me.
On my second bottle!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/21/2010 10:13:00 PM More reviews by bittersweet252

I read many mixed reviews on this product, but I thought I'd give it a shot because it seemed appropriate for my combination skin. I bought #30 and it was a good colour match, but I found this pretty drying and it seemed to age me... I guess it settled into the lines on my face (and I don't have many!) It gave nice coverage, though and left a nice matte finish. I returned this to Sephora, and the sales associate even said that it was more appropriate for someone older than me (im a teenager). She reccomended Clinique Superfit, and I purchased that, and I love it!
If you do purchase this, I would recommend you use a primer underneath, because this brings out your dry spots. Hope this helps!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2010 3:18:00 AM More reviews by ElleK7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm NC 25-30 and I use Vanilla. I like this foundation because it's full coverage, and VERY mattifying. I have an oily T-zone but when I use this foundation it keeps the oil at bay. I really don't think you even need to add powder to set because it dries so well. I do anyways just to add more drying/setting affect. It is a very buildable foundation without it looking cakey. I tend to add more around my huge pores because it covers them so well! It is pretty thick like a concealer, so I just use my hands or a sponge to rub it into my face. When I use the 109 it takes forever to use because it's so think. Honestly you only need a small drop to cover your face, it's awesome!

I wouldn't suggest this to people with dry skin, I'd image it'd dry you out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2010 11:26:00 PM More reviews by galai_curryqueen9830

This is my HG high end foundation! I am around NC30 and was matched #40 which is the perfect shade for me.

I only purchase foundations that are at least a medium coverage, build able, and more of a matte finish. When I saw MakeupbyTiffanyD's review of this on Youtube, I knew this foundation was the one.

I picked this foundation up at Sephora for $46 after taxes. This is a pricey foundation, but I honestly think that this is worth every penny.

This foundation comes in a wide range of shades. There are a total of 16 shades.

This foundation has a medium coverage that is very buildable. The formula is thicker than most liquid foundations, but it is very blendable and you can even use this with your fingers. Layering this foundation is do-able, however, if you layer too much on, you will be left with cakiness!

If the name of this foundation doesn't tell you..then I don't know what will. The finish of this foundation is, obviously a matte finish. If you prefer a dewy finish then stay away from this foundation. This is not a "semi-matte" finish..it is FULL ON MATTE. Very flat. You would need to highlight your skin if you want some dimension to your face. As the finish of this foundation is matte, it also does a good job of controlling MY oil on my t-zone. It does last a long time even without touching up so that is a plus! It is even waterproof, though I wouldn't be caught swimming with this baby on.

The packaging is a squeeze tube. Very convenient, efficient and hygienic. The packaging itself is also matte.

Pricing...iffy. This is a tad expensive, but because I do not use this everyday, it'll last me a long time. If you're wanting a foundation similar to this but cheaper, then try Maybelline's Super Stay foundation. It stays on pretty well and it does leave you with a matte-y finish, like this foundation.

I only wear this foundation for special events..events where there will be photos taken. One reason why is because of the price, another is because this does not have SPF. SPF in foundations or anything will make you look ghostly white in flash photography.

I am in love with this foundation to the point where I have no curiosity in trying out other foundations!! I'd definitely recommend it to those who want a medium+ coverage and who like matte finishes. Overall..good job Make Up Forever!

---EDIT---
I still enjoy this foundation especially for flash photography, but it's no longer my HG foundation. I've noticed that it's gotten harder to blend and accentuates the pores/dry flakes on my skin even more. Maybe it's because I've had it for a long time now...but who knows, I've just found a better matte foundation