December 20, 2014 | 1612 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2007 10:41:00 PM More reviews by bluezinnia

The wide disparity of opinion of this product made me curious enough to seek this out to smell it again (I had not knowingly smelled it in years). Imagine my surprise at being neither thrilled nor horrified at this perfume. I tried the EDP at Ulta. To me, it smells like a perfume that a dignified (but not necessarily old) woman of wealth or accomplishment would wear. I don't see it as "old-ladyish," like so many others do. It didn't seem particularly strong or long-lasting, but that may have been because I was testing it on a very warm, humid day. I don't know if this was the French-made or USA-made product. I'll check out the EDT & pure perfume to see if there's a substantial difference when I get the chance.

1/17/08 EDIT: the Ulta bottles are made in USA. I tried the EDT recently, and I wasn't impressed. Probably only worth buying in the EDP form.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2007 10:24:00 AM More reviews by rutgutpoo

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I never did understand why this is so great. It does not please my nose. It gives me a stomachache. It smells so warm and funky, a cloying sickly sweet, heavy syrupy smell. Someone spilled the molassis. Makes me want to run away from it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2007 9:49:00 PM More reviews by AJC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well, I agree with previous opinions that you either LOVE it or HATE it. For me No.5 was a journey of growing up. As far as I remember I would go to local perfume shops and smell & sample fragrances. Back then No.5 was absotutely awful to me: yes, it did seem old-lady-like and terribly pungent. It wasn't until about a year ago that I decided to smell it again, just for the kicks, and what a surprise!!! I absolutely loved it! Maybe I grew up as a woman to appreciate it more and I honestly consider a possibility that something about my skin chemistry changed as now No.5 smells so alluringly on me. I went to my best friend and asked her to smell it for me: she hated the scent straight from the bottle but loved it on me. Ahhhh, the mysterious concoction of Ms. Chanel. I DO LOVE it: the soapy powdery smell of clean skin, and I'm sure it'll stay with me for quite some time (it's the only fragrance I've ever used 4 bottles of).

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/7/2007 12:09:00 PM More reviews by tinyroses

This is one of the most disgusting smells my nose has ever experienced. I can't believe how much hype it has got attached to it, simply because it is Chanel. Really, it smells repulsive, something like old ladies who died 2 days ago.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2007 12:53:00 PM More reviews by Rachel1234

I have this in the EDT (because the parfum and EDP are too strong for me) and I really like it. It is a soft, utterly feminine scent. It envelops the wearer in a velvet blanket of ultra-feminine sensuality and then reaches through the air to any man in a half-mile radius pulling him in with it's soft pink wisps of seduction. Not an innocent scent at all, yet not mature either ... it is simply the embodiment of "female" in the purest sense of the word. Lovely.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2007 11:07:00 AM More reviews by serene111

What can I say that hasn't been said before? This is a classic for a reason, elegant, understated yet avant garde for its time. Whenever I catch a breeze of this either on myself or on somebody else...it always leaves me surprised...again -the sillage is amazing, smells much better swirling in the air than when sniffed up close. Because it's been around so long, it's really easy to take this one for granted -just try to imagine when this fragrance first came out -the scent, the packaging..so modern!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2007 8:36:00 PM More reviews by kathy_in_california

Chanel No.5 is one of my all time favorite fragrances - I always have a bottle of it. It's a wonderful, classic, floral aldehyde - heavenly IMO. I know several people who feel it's an old lady fragrance - I would presume that's because it's been around so long one is bound to know/have known older women who wear it, thus the association. I have worn Chanel No.5 since I was in my late teens - and still love it (although, I guess now one could say I'm definately old enough to wear it! LOL) Chanel No.5 works is best as an evening and/or winter fragrance - and be sure to use a light touch!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2007 12:30:00 PM More reviews by Loves

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this classic perfume even more in the EDT than in the EDP or parfum. However so many people use this, I've read that it is one of the best selling fragrances, I decided to use something more obscure instead.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2007 11:10:00 PM More reviews by GimpyPoop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I realize this is a long-loved classic, but this scent just smells like old lady to me and others around me. Maybe my body chemistry doesnít react favorably to Chanel No. 5, but a few friends and boyfriends have outright asked me why I smell like cheap old lady perfume when I have worn this! Itís a pretty unique, discernible scent Ė florally, yet kind of musky. I would never buy a full sized bottle of this.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2007 4:03:00 AM More reviews by cyang604

The scent takes me back to my childhood, where all the "aunties" in my life seemed to douse themselves in No.5. Back then, I absolutely hated the scent - felt it was overpowering, synthetic, pretentious - but a decade later, I completely adore it. It's sophisticated, luminous, elegant, and ultimately daring while still being proper. It's essentially one of the most luxurious perfumes out there, and there's a reason it's the best-selling fragrance this world over: Not only is it a classic, but it has a sensibility that appeals to the "modern" woman as well. To me, "old lady" isn't even a question: Folks, if Chanel No.5 is "old lady", then by heavens, let me smell like my Grandmother. The trick is to wear this fragrance with confidence while not SHOWERING in it at the same time. Although I *do* feel a little young to wear this on a daily basis, it doesn't mean I won't wear it on special occasions... though I must warn that for the younger generations who wish to wear this, please, don't just put this on blindly. For some reason, on the wrong person, it can actually smell a little cheap and heady, while on the right person, it's absolutely delectable. I'd recommend the perfume in during fall/winter, more evening than morning, and for 30+ age demographics for the most part.