October 31, 2014 | 1087 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2007 11:07:00 AM More reviews by serene111

What can I say that hasn't been said before? This is a classic for a reason, elegant, understated yet avant garde for its time. Whenever I catch a breeze of this either on myself or on somebody else...it always leaves me surprised...again -the sillage is amazing, smells much better swirling in the air than when sniffed up close. Because it's been around so long, it's really easy to take this one for granted -just try to imagine when this fragrance first came out -the scent, the packaging..so modern!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2007 8:36:00 PM More reviews by kathy_in_california

Chanel No.5 is one of my all time favorite fragrances - I always have a bottle of it. It's a wonderful, classic, floral aldehyde - heavenly IMO. I know several people who feel it's an old lady fragrance - I would presume that's because it's been around so long one is bound to know/have known older women who wear it, thus the association. I have worn Chanel No.5 since I was in my late teens - and still love it (although, I guess now one could say I'm definately old enough to wear it! LOL) Chanel No.5 works is best as an evening and/or winter fragrance - and be sure to use a light touch!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2007 12:30:00 PM More reviews by Loves

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this classic perfume even more in the EDT than in the EDP or parfum. However so many people use this, I've read that it is one of the best selling fragrances, I decided to use something more obscure instead.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2007 11:10:00 PM More reviews by GimpyPoop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I realize this is a long-loved classic, but this scent just smells like old lady to me and others around me. Maybe my body chemistry doesnít react favorably to Chanel No. 5, but a few friends and boyfriends have outright asked me why I smell like cheap old lady perfume when I have worn this! Itís a pretty unique, discernible scent Ė florally, yet kind of musky. I would never buy a full sized bottle of this.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2007 4:03:00 AM More reviews by cyang604

The scent takes me back to my childhood, where all the "aunties" in my life seemed to douse themselves in No.5. Back then, I absolutely hated the scent - felt it was overpowering, synthetic, pretentious - but a decade later, I completely adore it. It's sophisticated, luminous, elegant, and ultimately daring while still being proper. It's essentially one of the most luxurious perfumes out there, and there's a reason it's the best-selling fragrance this world over: Not only is it a classic, but it has a sensibility that appeals to the "modern" woman as well. To me, "old lady" isn't even a question: Folks, if Chanel No.5 is "old lady", then by heavens, let me smell like my Grandmother. The trick is to wear this fragrance with confidence while not SHOWERING in it at the same time. Although I *do* feel a little young to wear this on a daily basis, it doesn't mean I won't wear it on special occasions... though I must warn that for the younger generations who wish to wear this, please, don't just put this on blindly. For some reason, on the wrong person, it can actually smell a little cheap and heady, while on the right person, it's absolutely delectable. I'd recommend the perfume in during fall/winter, more evening than morning, and for 30+ age demographics for the most part.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2007 5:49:00 PM More reviews by SaraJayne

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It so doesn't smell of old ladies!!! This is a GORGEOUS perfume, and I get complimented upon it every time I wear it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2007 5:38:00 PM More reviews by BHMum2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Neither my mother nor grandmother wore no.5. I actually wanted to see what all the fuss was about after reading some things...I went to a counter, sniffed the bottle (a no-no, I know!) and thought "HORRId!" I couldn't believe that ANYONE would touch this vile smell to their skin. At any rate, I heard something else about no 5. and dismissed it...tried it again on a card, and once again, it wasn't for me. Long story long, a woman at a golf tournamet up wind from me smelled amazing-I had to have what she had on. It was no. 5 bath oil. This is how I started, and now I wear the eau de parfum and LOVE it. I must say, if I have hairspray on it changes the smell to a synthetic. Bad combo. It's best when my natural oils have had a few hours of time after showering to come out. Freshly applied on dry showered skin doesn't work as well. Another thing, the lady at the golf wore Keri lotion under her no. 5 and said that the oils mixed well togeter. I just love it. No sentimental attachment for me. It's one of the few that I would buy again. (I was always a coco fan, but no. 5 can be worn more often - for me anyway)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2007 1:51:00 AM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I agree with Rosehillcottage that you either love No.5 or hate it. I LOVE IT. But I can see why people would say it smells old lady like, but since I'm young I can get away with it ;) It makes me feel like Marilyn Monroe, deff a classic fragrence. I hope Chanel never discontinues it!!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/29/2007 1:30:00 AM More reviews by sita12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

one of the worst perfumes I have ever worn. is meant for the monroe era- its an ancient relic that needs to be discontinued so that suckers like my dh don't ever buy it again. spend your money on something better. its a horror.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/28/2007 4:05:00 PM More reviews by BReams1980

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Hands down, one of the worst things I have ever smelled. It smells of stagnant water, and perhaps mildew. To each their own!