Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 4/27/2011 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Got sweaty feet? Hate the smell? Virgin coconut oil is your new best friend! I can't use this stuff on my face because it breaks me out but it's a must in hand and foot care. It takes care of smelly feet, prevents athletes foot and keeps my feet happy and healthy all year round. It also makes a great cuticle oil but for some reason works best when I use it under a moisturiser. One small jar goes a long way as long as you keep the opened jar in the fridge and depot a smaller amount to keep in your bathroom/wherever. A staple product for me.

on 4/24/2011 6:38:00 PM

My skin type: oily, sensitive, acne-prone. I used the Nutiva brand organic extra-virgin coconut oil. I used it morning and evening as a moisturizer on my face and neck for several weeks. For the first few days, my skin looked and felt great; smooth and clear. Then I broke out in huge red pimples and dry, irritated red patches all over my face and neck. I don't believe in purging, but I really wanted this to work because of all the anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties I'd heard that coconut oil has. I kept using it for the next month, and it just kept getting worse. So I stopped, and now I'm using Burt's Bees Natural Acne Solutions cleanser and toner to help clear up my skin, and that's been working for the last week.

I gave it a 2 rating because I'm now using coconut oil on my feet and on a patch of eczema I have on my leg, and it seems to be working fine on those areas.

on 4/21/2011 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Average, but if you have acne-prone skin like me, DON'T BUY IT! You guys, it makes me break out, even on my hands!!! If I buy coconut lotion with coconut oil in it, I get zits on my hands, WHAT THE HECK?!! My mother is also acne prone and it makes her break out too. Fine whatever if you like it, but this is my skin's worse nightmare.

on 4/3/2011 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Coconut Oil is an amazing product at an excellent price. I use a small amount this oil every other morning as a scalp/hair treatment about an hour to 2 hours before I wash my hair - I wake up hours before work so have plenty of time to do this - shampooing twice cleans the excess oil off my hair and I no longer need to use a conditioner on my fine curly hair, which has been nice as I didn't realize just how much conditioners had been weighing down my hair. I also use it every other day as a body moisturiser, it can take a while to absorb into my skin but leaves my skin the softest it has ever felt.
Despite cleansing and moisturizing my face with oils for a couple of years now I am hesitant to do so with coconut oil, however I am almost at the end of my first tub and will purchase a better grade of the oil for this purpose (I chose a fairly cheap version for my body and hair to see how it would perform before over-spending on yet another product that sits in the bathroom doing nothing, I have been using Superdrug's own brand Coconut Oil at 1.99, the organic virgin coconut oils are closer to 15.).
I hadn't even considered cooking with it until reading other reviews here and after looking into some of the health benefits I shall definitely be trying that too.
Coconut Oil is a definite repurchase for me, anything to reduce the amount of crap on my bathroom shelves and this little tub of wonder has certainly earned the right to remain in my hair/body regimen - simple and effective, just what I like!

NOTE
Not a 5 lippie review yet as I haven't tried it on my face but will update once I finish my current oil cleanser and purchase a better coconut oil.

100% organic cold-pressed Coconut Oil.
Just amazing...
I'm 45 so I have tried hundreds of different products, cheap and expensive, but I have to say this was really one big surprise to me.
There is just nothing better for moisturizing dry skin.
Solid when cold, it melts soflty in your hands, just a very small amount (half a teaspoon) is enough for one complete leg.
Smells fantastic (good quality oil should just send a hint of coconut aroma), feels even better on the skin.
As hair treatment there is just nothing better, use a little (dime-size), rub it before styling or use it for shine on curly hair.
I recommend it 100%.

on 4/3/2011 9:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I've been using coconut oil mixed with my shampoo every day for the past 6 months and it's the best thing I've done for it. My hair is naturally very curly and dyed since I went gray early. Curly hair is thirsty hair and my hair drinks this right up. This is the healthiest my hair has been in over 15 yrs.
I will keep buying.

I wish I had read the negative reviews on this page before tried using coconut oil as a beauty product. I've eaten it, it's great for that, but as a beauty product I found that the pros and cons of using it were both so extreme that they cancelled each other out!

Pros: if I melt a tiny scoop of the oil -- about the size of an M&M -- in my palms and run it over my hair as a pre-wash hair protectant, it keeps my hair hydrated, helps it grow longer, and makes it thicker. I have fine hair, so thicker hair from an oil is a bonus. I also get extremely shiney hair from using this oil and I have had comments about how beautiful my hair has been looking lately. Coconut oil works great as a shine treatment on dry hair too. I really liked using it as a shine treatment because most commercial shine treatments contain cyclopentaxiloxane, which I am allergic to. I have also tried using it to make my eyelashes longer the same way that people use castor oil for eyelash growth, it really works.

The cons: it reacts VERY badly with my skin. If I get some of this on my face or even on my scalp, I get breakouts. Also contact with coconut oil made the skin on my face rougher. I have never had rough facial skin before! I think this oil clogs pores. I don't find the oil to be particularly moisturizing on my legs either.

If your skin is compatible with coconut oil, you're very lucky and I'm jealous. Guess I'll be trying some other oil to put in my hair and using the remainding coconut oil to fry food.

on 3/30/2011 2:27:00 AM

I use this stuff for so many things! it is a staple for me. I totally disagree with the reviewer below who says this should not have a smell - it should! if you are using coconut oil with no scent you are using a highly refined coconut oil that will not have as many nutrients for your hair and skin. Get extra virgin UNrefined oil. it has a delicious coconut smell (of course, it is pure coconut oil)! :-) I use this to :
- clean my makeup off at night. rub it into my face, then cleanse off with warm water and a cleanser.
- moisturize after my shower, like a lotion
- as a hair mask before shampooing, once every other week. makes my hair shiny and bouncy!
I also love cooking with it and eating it on toast, YUM! :)

on 3/30/2011 1:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

i love coconut oil and use it on my hair and my skin and on my fiances face and scalp. this stuff is amazing! i purchased mine at patel brothers which is an indian food market which is by my home. it has no smell to it, as it is only coconut oil. oil should not have scent to it i believe the ones who have scent and are purchased at wmart and make people break out are in the black hair section and not meant for the face etc. i use many black hair products since they are so rich and my hair is so curly and dry. but the coconut oil i have has NO scent at all. i think people here are using two diff things.

I use extra-virgin organic coconut oil.
It is a 'solid oil' and requires some warming up before use.
It smells great. It is an oil actually penetrates the hair shaft. Makes my hair shiny without being greasy. I coat my dry hair with this then put it up and let it soak then use a mild shampoo to wash it out. I can really tell a difference in my hair's health since using this.
This is a staple in my bathroom, and in my beauty regimen.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products