October 26, 2014 | 926 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2011 3:16:00 PM More reviews by lexi95

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

its pretty good. i use it as a deep conditioner on my ends sometimes and it does make my hair softer; but don't use as a leave in treatment or you will look oily. i use it once in a while on my face and body but i would not recommend continuous use as you might break out. the packaging on mine is just a twist off jar and sometimes it is very hard for me to open, not to mention it is becoming hard for me to get all the product from the bottom. overall, this does leave my hair softer and help it grow more and does help moisturize my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2011 2:26:00 PM More reviews by Mspolkadotz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My favorite thing in the world! I use it for skin, hair, oil pulling, cooking and supplementation. I noticed something funny the other day which I will share with you now. Normally, I would class my skin type as extremely oily (no joke) which makes me super self-consious because my face can become such a GREASE-BALL >.< But after 2 months of using coconut oil as a facial moisturizer, I realized that my skin wasn't really oily at all and you'll see why in a minute. During the two months of being coconut crazed, my skin felt felt balanced (not oily nor dry). Which means happy days right? But then recently my sis bought an Aveda moisturizer and I couldn't resist to try since it reads something along the lines of Botanicals which sounded too good to be true.. and it was. Anyways, I tried the Aveda moisturizer and find myself back to being super oily. The next day I went back to my trusty old coconut oil and my skin is back to being normal. I'm AMAZED! so yeah, that's just my experience with using this product on my skin. Oh before I forget.. because I live in the UK, I use a brand called BIONA raw organic coconut oil. I highly recommend you make sure that the oil is RAW (called pressed) and organic because rancid oil isn't very good.. Also, it's always a good idea to take a break from chemical laden products and give your skin some lovely coconut treatment =). So yeah, hope that's useful. Tah

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2011 8:09:00 AM More reviews by alicia148

After the recommendations on this site I decided to try coconut oil on my face. I have fair, sensitive skin and also don't like the idea of using products saturated with chemicals.

My skin is sensitive and slightly on the dry side, and luckily since being on the pill I don't suffer from spots.

I really love using coconut oil. I don't consider it a miracle treatment or anything but it's a brilliant moisturiser which seems to make your skin glow. This may be down to the fact that I use it to massage my face as a night cream.

It's solid at room temperature and you have to gid a bit out of the jar and wait for it to melt in your hands. It turns into an oil so you can massage it over your face. I do this for around a minute before I go to bed and it really makes my face look radiant. It's a little bit oily but as long as you don't use too much it absorbs in quite quickly. It also smells deliciously of coconut.

It has amazing moisturising properties and is totally natural, just what I was after.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/7/2011 10:49:00 AM More reviews by becomingshadows

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

DO NOT PUT THIS ON YOUR FACE WITHOUT DOING A PATCH TEST!

I have been stupidly using organic virgin coconut oil as a facial moisturizer for months before I realized that all the cystic acne and breakouts were due to this highly comedogenic product. I am not saying that this does not have other uses. I will definitely use it to cook with, but I will never again put it on my face. If you do your research on the comedogenic scale coconut oil is a 4 out of 5. Its chemical breakdown is similar to plastic pellets and it works like a mask, trapping impurities beneath the pores. Some people may be ok with it, but I have had the worst acne of my life for the last 4 months because I thought my skin was detoxing...nope.

The moment I figured this out I put on a mint julep mask and started using avocado oil. The next morning my face was a hundred times better. If you are looking for a natural facial moisturizer, stick with something on the comedogenic scale under 2 (jojoba, avocado, olive, etc.).

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2011 4:59:00 PM More reviews by nesslee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

i spoil my hair with virgin coconut oil as a prewash treatment. as contrary to the other oils for hair that i have tried (almond, castile, olive etc..) the smell is great and it is not that oily at all !! as a result, its very easy to wash it off ! and yes, i use it for my scalp too (as a treatment against seborrheic dermatitis), i even slept over night with it and the next morning i washed it off with bio shampoo without any problem. the trick is to take it from its jar each time in very small amount (finger tip!) and warm it up in your palms, then apply it to your hair and scalp. this way, you cannot overuse it. enjoy !

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2011 5:24:00 AM More reviews by cls82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

iF YOU HAVE ACNE, STAY AWAY FROM COCONUT OIL, EVEN IF ITS ORGANIC, VIRGIN, OR UNREFINED!!!! For about the first few weeks I used coconut oil, I saw improvements. My skin felt soft, moisturized and looked glossy and smooth. I noticed after about 2 weeks I started to break out. I had beard of a so called purging, so I continued to use it. Well after about 3 weeks of " purging", I had the worst acne! All over my back, chest, shoulders( where i do not ever break out), and of course, my face! It took me about 4 months to fully recover from all the cysts, pimples, marks and blackheads this left on me.

15 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2011 12:23:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

I love coconut oil for so many reasons but one that I don't think I've read about on MUA. Its the best self tanner remover bar none for me. If you want to remove ST massage the oil into your skin at night, then in the morning scrub it off with a wash cloth, shower scrubbie thing, or whatever you like. If stubborn areas remain, just massage more oil in, and if the ST is very resistant, you can apply the oil like any moisturizer and within 24 hrs the ST should all be easily removable. I have spent time and effort rubbing my skin raw when I had ST concentrated too much in one area, or just came out streaky, and even times when I simply wanted it gone more quickly. Nothing works this well.

Its also great for hair, but for me, less so as a treatment before washing, more as a teeny bit for a leave in type serum. Feels great and skin is softer, more conditioned, when used after showering. Its great in cooking, even for popping popcorn, and when I make gluten free cookies. I like the Nutiva brand best, most coconut-ty flavor and amazing scent.

I read here its good for "secksy time" and um, yes, great, great, stuff!
Try it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2011 10:33:00 PM More reviews by Nightlilly89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Get tropical traditions. I eat it, use it as lotion, as face moisturizer to even skin tone and keep blemishes at bay. 100 % recommend for health in all beauty aspects. Health is beauty isn't it?

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2011 4:06:00 PM More reviews by gardengrrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

There are several types of coconut oil. I use two: Virgin and fractionated.

Virgin is solid at room temperature an smells coconut-y. I use it in a blend of 60% cocoa butter, 40% coconut oil as a lotion bar on damp legs and arms after I shower.

Fractionated has only the liquid fatty acid chains: caprylic and capric triglycerides. I use this as a facial cleanser, and as a weekly deep conditioner for my hair. I comb a tablespoon or so through the length of my hair and leave it on for at least an hour. I shampoo my length thoroughly and rinse with diluted vinegar. The vinegar rinse helps with my absurdly hard water and makes my hair shiny, but it does seem to strip it of moisture. This offsets that. I've used the virgin oil as a conditioner, but it's more troublesome to apply and takes more effort to shampoo out. I prefer both fractionated and virgin to using EVOO or other more traditional deep conditioner oils. It seems to absorb into the hair shaft more easily and isn't as messy.

Packaging: The virgin oil can usually be found in a jar in the cooking oils section. It can also be purchased in bulk from a soap making/cosmetics supplier. Fractionated oil is available from soap making/cosmetics suppliers and comes in a plastic PET bottle. Both glass jars and PET bottles are easily reused and recycled. When I've bought bulk virgin oil, it has come in a PET bag. A hassle to recycle, but cheaper to ship. (A little time in a water bath in the crock pot will liquify it and allow you to pour it off into more user friendly containers.) continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2011 9:47:00 AM More reviews by mininana

My skin loves this and I love the smell!!! :) My hair loves it too just use a tiny little bit and you are ready to go. :)