December 18, 2014 | 1667 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Angels on Bare Skin

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2008 4:26:00 PM More reviews by Jaynne

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

It's been years since I've had a chance to be in a LUSH store (they are hours away in other cities from where I live) though I've always enjoyed using their products. For years I made my own cosmetics and had the best skin I've ever had.

Recently I was at a LUSH store and decided to buy two items that I used to like: Angels and Bareskin and Imperialis.

My skin has changed, matured, since I used LUSH before and recently I've been just kind of blaa on my skin care routine. Most recently I've used Alpha Hydrox wash, alternating with Vichy Olego 25 (both very nice products), and had just used up my routine of Neostrata for day and night care. For the summer I've been using Lise Watier matte spf 20 daytime lotion and it's been the bomb - but when winter came again this year I found my skin going blotchy and too oily during the day, and reoccuring dry patches that no amount of exfoliating seemed to reduce. Ugh! My beautiful Lise Watier makeup, which normally rocks for me, began looking dry and rough and just a big letdown all of sudden.

I began using the AOBS as soon as I bought it, so I've used it about 8 times now and boy! What a difference! My skin is so soft and smooth, with zero blotches or rough patches - it looks radiant and moist with no oily zones. And you know when your skin's canvass is like that, your makeup goes on smooth, you can use less and it can look amazing - and it does again!

I paid just over $9 for the pre-portioned tub they had and if it lasts me three months that is a bargain. With results like this, it's even more of a bargain - it's a HG product!

I use a little spatula to take out a small amount of AoBS which keeps things sanitary - I use just a bit larger than a pea size. I reseal the tub right away and just have the bit of cleasner ready for me when I want to use it, but first I start with Vichy eye-make up remover to remove my eye makeup (if it's at night). Then I splash my face with warm water, leaving my face and hands wet - then I pick up my little pod of AoBS and mash it into my wet palm until it is spreadable, then I wash my face in circular motions for a minute or so. I use a warm face cloth to remove the cleanser, then rinse well with warm water and my face is perfectly clean, smooth and radiant - I can't stop touching it!

I follow up with the Imperialis (going to do a review for that too) and I'm set for the day (I've been using the new Wise Women night cream from Body Shop for the evening and it's fabulous - another review on that to do! And I use the Wise Woman eye cream too and I totally love that too.)

So now I'm back being a LUSH gal - and of course, I can buy whatever I want online so no need to visit the stores.

I now totally look forward to washing my face - I love the smell, the natural ingredients and the results - it's a whole organic experience.

Colour me HAPPY!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2008 10:14:00 PM More reviews by Zhariel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have super sensitive skin. I tried this product after a friend recommended it for a break out. It seems to cleanse, tone and calm my skin. Since I've been using it for a year now, my skin is pretty flawless. Because it's a fresh product, I just buy about $13 worth of cleanser and it lasts me about 3 months (Which is the shelf life of the product). I normally use it twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. I don't feel that the price is high at all when I consider that it's about $4.33 a month. While I hate the smell of lavender (which is what this product smells like), I've gotten used to it with AOBB. And because of the wonderful results with my skin, this is my holy grail cleanser. It's a bit tricky to use at first. You need to wet your face and take a pea sized amount, and then get that wet and rub it between your hands and then rub it on your face.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/8/2008 2:14:00 PM More reviews by kablooie38

I like Lush because there's so much to chose from and the whole natural/organic company philosophy is great.

I was looking to try something new for fun and the SA suggested Angels on Bare Skin. I like that you can buy as much or little as you like and they'll put it in a plastic container with a label that looks like it came from a deli.

The mixture was kind of annoying trying to get it into a paste and it broke me out. It smells pleasant but left a thin residue.

I took it back to the store and the cashier said that AOBS is really more for normal skin. I have combination/oily/sometimes sensitive so not sure why they recommended it in the first place.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2008 6:57:00 AM More reviews by mc82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried this cleanser years ago, but didn't think much of it, but I recently got a tub free with a recent purchase so I have given it another go. I am glad I did as this is a little gem of a cleanser. The SA advised me to use much more then a pea-sized amount, and it actually works better. My skin feels really soft, clean but not stripped, and because of its light, exfoliating quality, leaves my skin much smoother. It rinses clean as well, leaving no residue on the skin. Has a rather pleasant smell too. This is an unusual cleanser in the sense of how you break a bit off and make into a paste with water, but if you do not mind that it is worth it. Overall a good quality natural cleanser that is quite inexpensive.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/2/2008 5:25:00 AM More reviews by sandoz28

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like Angels on Bare Skin, as it's a great gentle exfoliator. It's not the easiest product to use, but I find the results well worth it. I use it in the morning when I don't need to remove any oil or product but when my skin needs polishing/brightening. After use, my skin glows & my makeup goes on much more smoothly. Although I have very sensitive skin, I have had no reactions to this product & have had excellent results from Lush skincare overall. I'm already on my second tub of AOBS; this is a definite HG for me.

Note: It is really important to use clean dry hands when removing the product from the packaging as there are no preservatives in AOBS, and it will mold if water is added to the product. Also, Lush recommends using the product completely within 3 months of first use.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/27/2008 1:50:00 PM More reviews by hmori328

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Unfortunately, I don't really like this product. For me, it had no cleansing properties whatsoever. The consistency wasn't really enough to exfoliate my skin. It didn't do anything for me, and I still had to follow up with another cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2008 12:59:00 PM More reviews by redqueen11

I use this as an exfoliator several times a week, not as a cleanser. Most products adverstised as "scrubs" are just way too harsh; this is gentle and still effective.
I mix this with a pump of gel-type cleanser (P. Choice) and a little water; this creates the ideal consistency. It is a little too dry/crumbly when mixed with just water; the gel cleanser gives it a nice paste-like texture that is easy to work with.
I use this in the shower, as it can be messy (like any scrub).

It's not a miracle product, but it lovely to use (I like the smell and texture), and it exfoliates skin gently without irritation.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2008 1:55:00 PM More reviews by HollyMarie

I just didnt care for this-Im not exactly won over by LUSH products anyway-expensive and just advertise "natural ingredients" thrown together and nothing has been really amazing-I purchased this, Not crazy about the packaging its like clay stuffed in a plastic bin-and the texture is okay-but using it can get messy and I dont think this is a cleanser but more of an "after cleansing exfoliator"
I dont know-you can try and many people love it but I just did not notice one thing to make me want to try this again. I had better results using sugar as an exfoliator!
No more Lush products for me!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2008 2:20:00 AM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

a cleanser?! i don't think so. for me, using AOBS doesn't really remove anything makeup-wise, and all i am attempting to remove is non-waterproof mascara and some concealer. i can't imagine how anyone could actually use this as a cleanser, because although it gently exfoliates, it certainly doesn't 'cleanse' anything. so although i would *never* use this in hopes of it removing makeup, oil, or just the regular accumulation of a day's grime, i do like it for gentle exfoliation and a kind of skin massage. the way i've been using it is by first washing with Coal Face (which i LOOOOOVE, and which removes makeup and grime without even slightly drying out my normal/very slightly combo skin), rinsing that off, and then kind of massaging this into my skin before rinsing again. my second pet peeve with this product (first being that it's NOT a cleanser imo) is how difficult it is to use. taking the recommended 'pea sized amount' in my palm and wetting it slightly to mix it up did absolutely nothing, and i found for it to work at all i need more like 3 pea sized amounts. you put this in your palm, add a tiny bit of water and then rub, and it turns from a paste into a milky, watery puddle with what looks like chunky oatmeal in the center. it never becomes the kind of 'paste' that you could actually easily and evenly apply to your skin and then rub in. so what you're doing is rubbing your skin with crumbly beige specks and milky water. ok, whatever, it's a nice gentle way of exfoliating for the cooler months when harsh scrubs irritate dry skin. but what i can NOT understand is how anyone who is acne-prone could ever use this! when you rinse it leaves a very noticeable film of oil on your skin that doesn't wash off, and while i myself am not acne-prone and this so far hasn't done anything negative to my skin, it still doesn't feel clean when i'm done rinsing. after drying, your face does feel nice and soft and smooth, probably from the exfoliation and the natural oils your skin is wearing, and while this is ok for people who aren't acne/clog/breakout prone, i can't imagine it working for anyone who is. for me, i got this as a sample and even after all the negatives i've stated, i do kinda like it, but it's nothing i would splurge on or couldn't live without. i'll use up my sample, and wouldn't mind eventually coming across another sample, but won't purchase. continued >>

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/17/2008 2:55:00 PM More reviews by nunzi182

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was a little disappointed with this. I find this much harder to make into a paste than Herbalism. I much prefer herbalism over this because of that fact. I find this to be crumbly and kind of stiff. It's hard to explain. I also feel like I have a coating of grease on my face after I use it. It hasn't made me break out or anything but it's not easy to use.