November 27, 2014 | 1011 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2012 10:49:00 AM More reviews by jc2729

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using the mia for about 4 months now...I almost returned it after month one though. This is not a miracle tool. It will not give you perfect skin unless you are genetically blessed to start with =) But...the reason I'm giving the mia a 4 is that it does do a lot of good things. If you wear foundation on a daily basis, as I do, this will make sure you remove it completely. I feel like it prevents a lot of the cosmetic acne that I had before because it really deep cleans your pores. It wont prevent all acne, but I feel like it speeds up the healing process when you do get breakouts. FYI If you have super sensitive skin, try the delicate rather than the sensitive brush that it comes with.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2012 2:17:00 PM More reviews by lilmi

This is over-priced in terms of what it does.

It is essentially, a high-tech 'cleaner' except it does require a cleanser to be used alongside it for maximum results.

If like me, you wear a fair bit of make-up that's quite pesky to remove with manual cleansing then this gadget is pretty handy. However, if you take into account the initial cost plus the cost of replacing brush-heads etc is it worth it? I don't really think so.

It did take off all my make-up and leave me with a 'really' clean feeling. It also lead me to break out, I even got cystic spots which I never get. It helps somewhat with flaking skin but it's no miracle worker. Can't really comment on fine lines, evening skin tone etc as I've not seen any difference. I have been using it for about a month, if I see any changes I'll definately update.

I just don't think it's fair to associate the product with evening skin-tone, helping fine lines, reducing pores etc when really, it is just a cleansing tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

UPDATE: 11/03/2012
Okay so the cystic breakouts gradually stopped. The mia doesn't really make me break out much anymore think it might just have been my skin getting used to it. My skin has become a little better in terms of texture/fewer spots [but I do still get em frequently!] I think most of the credit goes to the cleanser I'm using which I'll admit seems to be a bit more effective with the mia than without it.
I still think it's over-priced but I've used it now and can't return it anyway so for the price I paid I'll keep on using it.

Still hasn't made any changes in terms of skin tone, fine lines, dry patches etc so stick by my original review that it is basically a cleaning tool/way of making products a little more effective but not drastically so.

Also I've found it's better if I only use it a few times a week. Gives skin a chance to rest in-between uses and doesn't irritate it too much. I wouldn't personally advise to use it every single night and definately wouldn't use it twice a day that'd be much too harsh on your skin/would probably lead to more breakouts.

If you're still keen to try it and live with a fellow skincare junkie, I really reccommend you both chip in to buy one plus an extra brush head so you won't feel quite as guilty if it doesn't work for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2012 10:38:00 PM More reviews by teacherjess

I tried to wait a month but my excitement and disbelief got the best of me. Stop thinking about buying this; just do it- NOW. Save up, start a paper route, or cut back on your Starbucks and movie rentals- buy this because it is worth every penny. A week ago my face was flaky, super oily, clogged, and angry hormonal acne on my chin. Not to mention little oil bumps and engorged pores. After just one use, my skin started peeling in large flakes & felt real dry. While this was annoying, I realized the Mia was breaking up the top layer of dead gunk that caused my face to look like hell. After the 3rd or 4th use, the flaking stopped and revealed smoother, brighter skin that felt soft to the touch. Pores shrunk a bit too. No touch of makeup, oil, or dead skin when I swiped with toner. Going into a week, I still have that soft smooth feel and my skin glows. My makeup looks better. Products perform better. Acne scars fading, and blemishes I have go away faster. This is all in less than a week. WOW. I use Mia 2x a day for about a min & a half to 2 mins. I can't believe I waited to get this

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2012 7:15:00 PM More reviews by misspris26

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I questioned the hype, laughed at the price and thought "who in there right mind needs a $120 hand held device to wash their face"...and then I got one...on a whim while buying some Lancome makeup (yeah the SA roped me in...but how could I resist when it comes in pink?). I have to tell you that I fully expected to try it, find it absurd and return it (although secretly hoping that it would be awesome). So I charge it up and then it was time to try it: It was fun and easy to use, removed every trace of makeup (which I didn't think it could - fyi I have the sensitive brush head). But then I noticed my face looking....dare I say it? Glowing! Rosy complexion...clean looking skin. Like a clean I never felt. Needless to say I love it and actually look forward to washing my face at the end of the day. No more rubbing and rubbing with a washcloth. I just do my little circles without even pressing down and voila! **UPDATE** I returned this after a few weeks when a blister like area appeared on my nose!! plus the skincare board talked about it spreading bacteria. After a while it was sort of a pain to use, once the initial fun wore off.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2012 10:23:00 AM More reviews by nicola00

After months of reading reviews (good and bad) I decided to purchase the mia 2 from spaboutique.com. O-M-G I love this thing! I told myself I was only going to use it at night but I'm just so excited to wash my face that I use it morning and night (i've had it for almost 2 weeks now). I use the sensitive brush daily and deep pore once a week. I do see purging happening, mostly forehead and chin which is where I expected it the most. My skin does look and feel smoother, make up goes on nicer, and skin is just glowing. I clean my brush after every use with a mild PH balanced cleanser and warm water. It removes all my make up, weird the last review said that there's residue. Not sure how I lived without this and I'm so glad that it lived up to the hype!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2012 10:51:00 PM More reviews by michtou

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Women, I'm going to be honest: this economy is killing me. Life is tough, I'm looking for work, and my skin is showing the signs of all stress I've been under. The Clarisonic is expensive, so I was lucky enough to receive mine as a gift. I'm not going to sit here and act like $135 is not a lot of money...it is. But in the case of the Clarisonic it is a wise investment, particularly if you cannot afford facials and/or massively expensive skincare products. I've used my Mia for 3 weeks & it is everything they say it is.

The brush head vibrates, thoroughly cleaning my skin and stimulating the circulation. My skin is so smooth and rosy. I use Cetaphil cleanser. I've stopped using a weekly exfoliant because I don't need one anymore. And what other reviewers have said is true: moisturizers & serums are absorbed into my skin so quickly, plus I've found that I use less than I had used pre-Clarisonic.

I'd like to add that for the past year I've been using the $30 Olay rotating head skin brush, and to be honest, $30 is bloody robbery for that product. It's works well enough, though the rotating brush is a bit scratchy on my skin. But seriously- the battery operated brush is really only worth $10 max. The Clarisonic is in another league.

Results (over 3 week period):
-smoother skin
-seems to regulate oil production
-overall rosiness, beautiful complexion (if I may say so myself!)
-pores on nose & area around nose seem diminished in size

I don't have a problem with fine lines, so cannot comment on that aspect of change. All I can say is that I LOVE my Mia and can't believe that what I did before was considered truly "cleansing" my face. If you want to invest in an excellent product that is well made, easy to use (and travel with) & results in healthy, younger-looking skin, consider the Clarisonic Mia.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/9/2012 3:23:00 PM More reviews by spytz

My boyfriend bought me this for Christmas (bless him), and I was really excited to try it out as I've been getting in to skincare a lot more these days. Unfortunately it didn't live up to the hype, so I'm returning it which is disappointing but it's +120 for my boyfriend (plus a potential 20- 25 in savings every 3 months for not having to replace brush head)!

Before the Clarisonic I would wash my face "properly" (night only) with an Emma Hardie washcloth (which is amazing), and Avene's gel cleanser. My normal routine would be to cleanse my face 3 times - 1st without the cloth, making sure that by the 3rd cleanse there isn't any makeup residue on my cloth. This has worked out brilliantly for me so far and I have found that my skin really benefits from this routine, so I hoped that the Clarisonic would streamline it all.

My routine with the Clarisonic was:
1. Using fingers, wash face with cleanser to remove excess makeup
2. Use Clarisonic (as per instruction manual).

The first time I used this I passed the washcloth over my face afterwards to check for any residue - and there was. So I used the Clarisonic again right after (I know this is bad!) to see if that improved things and again, there was still some residue. It did make my skin feel nice and smooth afterwards, but so does my washcloth.

I decided to give it a few more tries and every time I used it I found residue to my disappointment. I couldn't help but feel that I (or my boyfriend rather), was being ripped off every time I passed the vibrating bristles over my face - which kinda pissed me off to be honest.

SO I'm returning it - happily. It's fun to use but when it boils down to how well it performs vs. my washcloth, it pales in comparison.

To sum it up, in the words of my boyfriend: "My rag can do better than this".

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2012 3:17:00 PM More reviews by mspicky

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought my Mia a year ago. I love it, it works great to keep me exfoliated (which I need to prevent my skin from getting lumpy from clogs). I recently went traveling without it for 2.5 weeks and my skin was significantly worse, also I ran out of my toner. Between the 2 things, I remembered how horrible getting breakouts used to be. (I use DDF toner.)

Anyways, I am really writing this review because of my FRIEND's skin. She was ambivalent about buying one because it's over $100 and she kept asking me whether it was really "worth it". Even finally after she got it with holiday sale codes, she was saying her skin felt better, but didn't look better. Finally I saw her this week, and I suddenly noticed that her skin was very clear in tone and had maybe 80% fewer dark marks and breakouts. I was like, "Hey! Your skin!" and she bashfully said that it seemed like the Mia was really working well but it took a few weeks to start showing results. After I told her how lumpy I got during my trip, she vowed never to be without hers. She said the $100 was very much worth it! Think about it, even if you get a year's worth of clearer skin out of this machine, it's cheaper than getting facials.

Also, I recently read third party comparisons of Clarisonic versus other brands and also manual exfoliators. The Clarisonic is the clear winner in terms of getting pores really clean. But let's face it, not everyone needs the tippy-top level of cleaning. For some people it's too harsh. For some people, just some light manual exfoliation is fine. But some of us who have skin issues (especially those that really need exfoliation to keep skin in good condition) will benefit enormously from the Clarisonic, and nothing else will substitute.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2012 2:58:00 PM More reviews by summrgirl720

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Another great review on MIA. THIS DOES NOT CLEAR UP ACNE> It will help your skin be better exfoliated and cleaner to allow products to penetrate more effectively, and thus, *may* help clear up acne/discoloration/whatever treatment you use to help your skin's issues. Since using this, my pores are smaller, my products DO work better (so I'm using less) and I find myself enjoying washing my face at night. I use the sensitive head and probably will only use 'normal' or 'deep pore' occasionally in the summertime when my skin is greasier. Since using this, I have stopped using St Ives scrub (which I now believe is VERY abrasive to do the same job). It's really helped improve the tone and texture of my skin (post accutane, currently on retin a micro and using glycolic pads). HOWEVER, when i first got it i was using it morning and night... that was too much for my skin and i was breaking out. I now only use it at night and my face is a happy place again :). I do not want to ever be without my little mia! Save up, it's worth trying (you can always return).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2012 12:55:00 PM More reviews by gloss4me

I just got my Mia, not even a full week ago. I have combination skin, but not problematic skin. I initially wanted this brush to really get the make up off at night. The first time I used this tool I noticed the effects right away, then I wondered if it would be too harsh for my skin (using morning and night). So far I'm loving this gadget and will continue to use it, I've used different cleansers with it and have had good results. Mine is turquoise :)