December 18, 2014 | 1670 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Acne Wash

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2009 11:26:00 PM More reviews by budapest

I love this stuff. I wish it was fragrance- and color-free but I use it anyways 'cause nothing gets my skin softer or cleaner. Granted that I have the oiliest skin of anyone I know. I can imagine this would be pretty drying for anyone without oily skin. But if you're "blessed" with skin like mine, you need some heavy duty oil-clearing and exfoliating from your cleanser. It also rinses clean - another great quality that I do not take for granted in a cleanser.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/11/2009 10:45:00 PM More reviews by queenkake

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this product made my face extremely dry. i had patches of severely dry spots that were irritated and noticeable. i would never buy this again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2009 7:46:00 PM More reviews by Schadenfrau

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm writing this review primarily for my boyfriend, who just just stated, "If you want to feel like a nuclear bomb went off on your face, try Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash."

I'm running low on my standard face care, but expecting a refill package soon. Not wanting to waste what precious little product I have left, my boyfriend picked this up and has been using it for the past week or so. He's a man of 33 and has generally smooth, clear skin- until he tried this junk, that is. Now he's got red, dry, taut skin with a harsh smattering of zits across his forehead.

I remember the horror of this stuff back from when I was a teen, and pegged this as the culprit immediately. To be sure that it was the Neutrogena and not anything else giving him the skin problems, I tried using this for a day myself. Wouldn't you know it, I ended up with irritated red skin, as well, just like I did when my dermatologist forced this on me when I was maybe 13 or so. This is the same man who suggested that scrubbing with (lye-filled) Ivory soap would cure my eczema, so it's truly a wonder the man didn't become a famous skin guru. I can see from the reviews on this thread that similar geniuses are still doling out that bad advice. Sure, this stuff is cheap, but it will ruin your skin.

I know I'm beyond the age demographic for Neutrogena's Oil-Free Acne Wash, but my advice still stands. Teenagers, there are far better products out there, so if someone tells you to buy this crap, ignore that person. Please.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2009 7:05:00 PM More reviews by pinkykathy

This product leaves my face really really really DRY after use.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2008 11:33:00 PM More reviews by youdroppedabalmonme

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I first started using this product, in my late 20s, I liked it. It was drying, yes, but I figured a constantly-peeling face beats a constantly-pimpled face. Now that I'm in my late 30s, I really can't tolerate the drying effect. And I'm not averse to deep cleansers: I use Clinique's liquid soap for oily skin, and Clarifying Lotion 4. But there is something about the Neutrogena product that just makes my face feel like it's been sucked dry by a Dyson vacuum. Not only that, but my skin then has the reaction of cranking out more oil and blemishes than before. I give this 3 lippies because I think it is appropriate for younger people with acne who want a quick improvement and don't mind dryness. I do wish the product was not so heavily colored and scented-- it's far from hypo-allergenic!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2008 6:54:00 PM More reviews by stephg4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It's a little drying, but nothing some moisturizer can't fix. I like how my face feels after i use it and it cleared up alot of the big pimples i got from using the Neutogena Fresh Moisture moisturizer. Highly recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2008 9:09:00 PM More reviews by mistikmajik

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

As a cleanser, it really gets rid of all the oil on your face. It's too drying for my skin, and even when I diluted it with a much gentler face wash it still dried out my face.
As a spot treatment, it works well. It doesn't dry out my whole face since I'm only using on my pimples. It's good as a spot treatment, but nothing special.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2008 3:07:00 AM More reviews by MrsPaulWalker

I have tried all cleansers, but I always come back to this.
After dealing with acne for years and 2 courses of accutane, this stuff seems to keep my skin in baby soft perfectly clear condition.
It is not harsh, and doesn't dry me out. It is quite capable of keeping the little bumps and sports at bay. I would say that it is perfection in a bottle.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/23/2008 12:34:00 AM More reviews by iiezzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Neutrogena's products are all ridicously harsh for my skin.
they break me out leaving red blotches and dry spot.
but this one takes the cake.
I hated this one. It burned.!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2008 3:48:00 PM More reviews by ninadelsol

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Did nothing to help control breakouts and actually made my sensitive skin break out more. The formula leaves a dry, sticky reside on my skin and I had to user toner to remove the residue. I will not repurchase.