August 21, 2014 | 1921 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Acne Wash

rated 1 of 5 on 11/1/2008 3:44:00 PM More reviews by prettypunky

Holy! This product was terrible. It was way too drying for me, and I have oily skin. This cleanser completely stripped my skin of its natural oils and made my skin so dry. There wasn't much redness, but I did get the flakies. So not good!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/27/2008 10:45:00 PM More reviews by toutlemonde

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Nope.

I really don't like this very much. It's good for getting make-up off though.
If you have really, really, super oily skin with tons of pimples it might help.

But in my case, even though I have a pretty oily nose, it made my nose red and dry. Not the kind of "dries out your pimples" dry, but that unpleasant tight feeling that causes redness while accomplishing nothing good. I had used it before and tried it again after store was out of my regular cleanser. I remember why I left it now.
Don't get me wrong, it's not like the worst thing in the world or anything .I just don't like it. I use Clearasil Skin Perfecting Wash and I really like it. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2008 3:23:00 PM More reviews by leslieanne

I'd used this when I was a teenager, and for some reason had strayed for years. Now I'm back and completely in love again. I've never had a problem with dryness while using it, in fact my skin feels perfectly clean but not stripped of moisture after I rinse this product off, if anything I'd say that my skin feels slightly moisturized after use.
My skin is pretty normal, if I overdo it on the zit products it can dry out, but it's basically normal with the occasional hormonal breakout. As for the acne killing properties, I can't really comment on that, as I don't see an increase in zits, but not really a decrease either, but to be perfectly honest, I can't remember what my skin looked like before I started using this cleanser. But I think that this is a wonderful general cleanser, especially for the price, I don't use a whole lot on my face, maybe a little more than a pea size, and that could possibly be the reason I am not seeing the dryness everyone else is. But that much works perfectly for me, and anything else that might be left over after an especially dirty day just comes off with my toner anyway. I'm almost out of this and am going to get another bottle, and that's something I haven't done with ANY PRODUCT in the past couple years.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2008 11:29:00 PM More reviews by ejbauman

I have combo-acne-prone skin with an extremely oily t-zone and this face wash, when used in conjunction with Neutrogena oil free moisturizer, is the single best face wash I have ever tried (and, believe me, I have tried them all).

I've been using it for over a year and my skin has never looked better.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/23/2008 1:16:00 PM More reviews by HisFirst

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used this when I was a teenager and it worked pretty well. My derm recently gave me a sample of this and I find it way too drying now, especially with prescription acne meds. I use it occasionally only and will not be purchasing. Aveeno Clear Complexion is my HG Salicylic Acid cleanser.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/17/2008 12:37:00 AM More reviews by andria318

I purchased this cleanser based on the book "The Skin Type Solution" and I tried it for 3 days, the results: dry skin and a super tight after feel and it caused me to have one major inflammation right above my upper lip (how badly that sucks!). Overall, this product claims to be gentle but it dried me out. Will not use again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2008 7:02:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

I have combo skin with a very oily t-zone that is subject to blackheads and pimples. While I do have to give this kudos for the fact that I didn't get any pimples when I used this, even that time of the month, I did experience major dryness in certain spots on my face, even if I only used once a day. Oddly, I got a dry patch under my nostril, which prompted me to stop using this. Also, I did feel like my face was left very "basic" feeling and squeaky. I didn't mind the smell - sort of medicinal - though I am interested in trying the Pink Grapefruit version perhaps. Overall, I probably wouldn't repurchase unless it was summertime - it's too drying for winter.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2008 12:37:00 AM More reviews by jebaca

I think success with this product really depends on your skin type. My skin is very oily and not usually sensitive. Therefore this product works great for me. I've been using it about two months now everyday and I've noticed that my breakouts are minimized (knock on wood!) and I'm not prone to hormonal acne anymore. However I would only recommend this to people who have very oily skin or at least have combination skin. Anyone with normal, dry or sensitive skin would probably not have success with this product.

As for cleansing efficiency....I find this works well for taking off my makeup, but I do use a separate eye makeup remover because I definitely wouldn't want to get this in my eyes (This has salicylic acid in it.).

This is probably one of the best cleansers I've found for my skin type so far. I'm hoping my skin still reacts well to this cleanser come winter time when my skin is less oily. I'll update if anything changes. Just wish I had tried this sooner!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2008 12:45:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

It's a classic. I had stopped using it and just came back to once a day or less. It clearly says on the label that if you get reactions like dryness or peeling, use it less and work your way up. This wash works, and I can already see blemishes going away. Yes, it will make skin feel tight or dry if you use it too much. I also use the Acne stress control 3 in 1 treatment, but lightly. You get acne from either hormones or clogged pores. There are other skin conditions that look like acne but are not. Everyone should go to a dermatologist, not a general doctor for a skincare diagnosis. That way you will know what you have and how to treat it.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/26/2008 4:43:00 PM More reviews by MissHippo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product is very drying and harsh. After using it for about a week a red and ichy rash formed around my mouth area. I would recommend something a little more gentle on the skin.