September 2, 2014 | 2197 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2004 10:42:00 PM More reviews by oasdus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I've used this off and on since I was probably 14. There have been times in my life where it helped with acne, but not much better than benzoyl peroxide since my acne was only helped with pills. Now that I'm not bothered with acne too much, I get a prescription sometimes o help w/discoloration, lines and all that. I always think this isn't doing anything for the little lines under my eyes, but when I stop using it for a while, they look so much worse that I realize it IS doing SOMETHING which is a lot more than most of the products in the entire world actually do for lines.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2004 9:17:00 PM More reviews by kitsy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

this stuff is my hg- i owe my glow to it. it is verrry drying in the winter though. i use it every night religiously. the pros definately outweigh the cons. you must make it throught the depressing "purging" time when you break out more, but it is truly worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2004 8:50:00 PM More reviews by rain20

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Retin-A is a miracle for me, but I had to figure out how to use it. It is very important to use some sort of product about 3 days afterwards to avoid that lizardy peeling effect (which can clog your pores). I use some sort of mild acid product, such as clinique total turnaround or advanced stop signs. Afterwards I just look magically better. I only do it 4 times a year or so and it is just amazing.

Oh, and I have the most sensitive skin-- about 95% of products (including shampoos!) bother me so it is a miracle to be able to use this. I think the key is that it is just one ingredient. One more thing, do not use it when you are pregnant-- vitamin A is a big no-no then.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/10/2004 3:15:00 PM More reviews by C8LIN

Call me crazy, but this is not for me. This stuff doesn't do anything for my acne. All it does is dry out the skin where applied and cause me to look like something off the SciFi channel with scaly skin. I find that using tea tree oil [right out of the bottle] works much better at clearing up żĩŧş w/o annoying dryness.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2004 3:32:00 PM More reviews by SprTwig

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using Retina A Micro for 2 years now, and I am in love with it!! I'm 17, and my skin type is very oily but sometimes dry...and very sensitive. I have one of the weirdest skintypes!! I hate it! But Retina A Micro has helped my skin in so many ways! My blackheads are barely visible, and my skin never has a red cast from my acne, and this stuff isn't potent, yet for most people it does cause peeling, happens to my sister constantly, but it is clearing up her skin!! Just remember to use a moisturizer if it does peel your skin, a gentle one such as Cetaphil. I use Cetaphil cleanser with this RX too, and I think that lessens the irritation. This is definitely stuff that I'm always gonna have, I constantly reach for this whenever my skin is acting up, it always helps!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2004 4:06:00 PM More reviews by JaclynC

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Retin A Micro is saving my skin!! I've only been using it for a few weeks but it has made such a difference already. I went to the dermatologist because I've had horrible chin/mouth area breakouts for years and nothing helped. Since I've been using Retin A Micro, I'm not getting anymore new pimples and my clogged pores are going away. I have sensitive skin and this really isn't irritating it at all. My derm told me that I should use a very tiny amount and that it should feel like I'm not putting enough on. I use it every night before going to bed. I'm so glad I finally decided to go to the dermatologist and realized that drugstore acne products are just a complete waste of money for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2004 4:01:00 PM More reviews by Sammy311

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Miracle product. I buy it cheap--$14.00 for 30 grams, which would cost about $100 if I went through a dermatologist. Well, I don't need a dermatologist to tell me that Retin A will make my skin look better. I've been using it now for about a month and my skin has never looked better. I use the .05% version, but I only use a little dab, about half the recommended amount, and mix it with a good moisturizer. And--I only use it every other night until my skin builds up a tolerance. The moral to the story: I was walking by some well-lighted mirrors today and marvelled at how great my skin looked--no age spots or wrinkles at all, and no noticable pores. Not bad for a 44 year old. :-) P.S. For those who have trouble with Retin A, ease into using it. I'm convinced that half the people who have a problem with it are slathering it on every night, which is not a good idea when you first begin. Take it slow and you will almost certainly see results. UPDATE: I get a lot of emails asking where I buy this product...try medsmex dot com! I have been ordering from them for 4 years now and they are the real deal. I am not affiliated with them in any way.

25 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2004 7:34:00 PM More reviews by wingedtwilight

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Retin-A Micro has saved my skin. I have used it for a little over a year, and the difference is amazing. I did not have terrible acne. In fact, on a scale of one to ten, my derm rated me a one but prescribed treatment for a two. I had baby acne over my forehead and the sides of my face. I also had blackheads on my nose and chin. The first month I peeled considerably, but this is because Retin-A was extracting acne lesions in my skin. I still notice this every now and then, but good skin maintainance [no picking, overwashing, or scrubbing] and a good moisturizer can keep it under control. After two weeks my acne began to clear up. Some people report increased breakouts, and this makes sense, again, due to extraction. After two months my skin looked fabulous. Clean and smooth and so even. My blackheads are less noticeable, but Retin-A does not get rid of them. It makes the pores less sticky so less will get clogged insied them, though. I don't rely on Retin-A as much as I used to, but if I go for some time without it, I can definitely see a difference in my complexion. I use it every other night to maintain its good effects while sparing my skin some irritation. All in all, I love this product. I don't know what my skin would be without it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2004 2:55:00 AM More reviews by mountainshadow

This is my HG skincare product... if you can call that. I'm using the lowest concentration (0.01%) in the gel form. Now, my face is pretty much flawless except for the occassional small non-inflammatory zits (that I picked at... naughty me). I use it at night and use Dalacin T in the day. My friends think I put on powder when I don't cos' my skin is so fine. I cannot live without it though my facialist warned me against using it so often cos' I have naturally translucent thin skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2003 1:21:00 PM More reviews by xen02

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have dryish skin, so Retin-a wasn't made for me anyway, but I really wanted to try it for the peeling. Since starting on .05% about 6 weeks ago, my skin has gone though some changes. The milia along my jawline and under my eyes are gone and my skin is smooth like marble; it also looks fresher and more even.

However, at one point my skin got incredibly itchy along my jaw and beside my mouth that I scratched it so much it got kind of cut up from my nails, and it looked like I had a beard of bright red skin. Pleasant. This passed. If you have dry skin like me, you have to use a really moisturising moisturiser like something for eczema while you're doing retin-a, otherwise you will wake up with your skin streched so tight across your face it's like you're in a wind tunnel.

I had been using benzoyl peroxide to prevent cystic acne on my forehead, and while it was preventing breakouts, it was also making my skin look shrivelled up, and my skin just wouldn't rejuvenate after the scarring I had from previous cysts. I have since stopped using it and use Retin-A on the area instead and the skin is both acne free and much 'plumper' looking. I know some people get breakouts in reaction to this, but I haven't had any of that, though I don't have oily skin in the first place

Now the bad stuff, my skin has gone from normal/dryish to _extremely_ dry with the Retin-A; if I put foundation on, it shows up all the flakes, and looks appalling, like someone dug me out of a crypt. If I don't put foundation on, my skin looks red and irritated. I'm sticking with it though coz I assume that at some point, the peeling will stop and I'll only have the good effects. This is a commitment; don't even start if you're not willing to look like crap for a while.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No