Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

3.7

Mica, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Isopropyl Linoleate, Synthetic Wax, Polymethyl-silsesquioxane, Water, Zinc Stearate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid/Polystyrene Ethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethoxydiglycol, Sodium Dehydroaceatate, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (Goji Berry), Trisodium Edta, Peat Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-14, Dimethicone, Gold. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 11/23/2012 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

PROS: This is a great product - wonderful on my sensitive, acne prone skin, and I'm allergic to everything. Halo provided a wonderful medium-opaque coverage without caking or flaking, or creasing into those laugh lines. Absolutely one of the best powders on the market, IMO.
The packaging is unique, and I do like it - it's portable, has a mirror, and you can control how little or how much you want with a twist.

CONS: Toss the brush it comes with in the garbage, it's worthless. Use your own. Price is steep - $60 for two, maybe two and a half months of use? Eek. Also, my natural color is somewhere in between light and medium, which makes me wish Smashbox would come out with a color in between the two. Also, it's extremely hard to tell when you're about to run out! I usually order another towards the end of the second month, after I found out the hard way when I ran out the first time.

SUMMARY: I would recommend this product just for the fact it's really great on my sensitive, all over the map skin, provides decent coverage and Smashbox is a fantastic brand that rarely disappoints. 4 stars.

on 11/23/2012 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

My neice had putchased this and decided to give it to me,This product has been a complete Surprise to me. I was expecting a light coverage with a high shine finish. Boy was I wrong, this powder is awesome!! I have very oily skin and this didn't make it any worse in fact made it better as odd as that may sound. I have also never gotten so many compliments just wearing this powder alone with a little brush and some mascara. Price is steep but it's worth it and the product lasts a long time! I use this almost everyday and I've had it for 4 months now.

on 10/20/2012 12:41:00 PM

I like the container it came in, and the mill so that there's not too much powder loose at one time, but the latch on the container broke after a week. No big deal, just makes it difficult to travel with. I can't decide how I feel about this powder. It's not good, not bad. It's just a powder. It's not really a foundation to use on its own, but I use it to set my BB cream sometimes and it does work nicely for that. There's nothing really wrong with it, it's just too expensive for what it does (or doesn't do). I liked bare minerals better.

on 10/17/2012 10:01:00 PM

I really love this as a finishing powder. It makes my face look so smooth. I almost never go without wearing it. It's pretty expensive but definitely worth it IMO. The packaging is neat.

on 10/14/2012 12:42:00 PM

When I first bought this I was so incredibly angry with myself, I looked cakey and pale, and I had spent $60 to look that way! Since I spent so much money I was determined to try it for a few days before I returned it, and boy am I glad that I did. I am super pale with moderate acne...so that translates to red as well, and I noticed the second morning after using this that my skin felt unusually smooth and was even toned instead of its usual pink tinge. This is the only new thing I used, so I was amazed that this powder that looked so awful on me was living up to its supposed positive skin effects. Needless to say, I was determined to find a way to make it look good. Instead of using a big powder brush, I used a compact buki instead and buffed it in.... beautiful luminous skin!
I am now so pleased with my purchase I plan to buy again and again and again.

on 9/24/2012 2:04:00 PM

I've had this product sitting around for a while now. when i first bought it it was just one of those 'eh..i guess i like it' things. it's nice for setting a foundation but i bought it because i wanted something quicker and easier than liquid. i have combo/dry skin so the 'hydrating' claim drew me in. sadly, this does not offer even the slightest bit of hydration. if anything, it accentuates dryness in my skin. it also offers very little coverage hence why it's been sitting around for a while. however, i've found that if i dampen my brush using my bare minerals it offers a smoother and heavier coverage. i recently ran out and haven't had time to get more. then i stumbled upon this again. i used it with a damp sephora mineral powder brush and voila! the halo effect that it claimed to give was now in effect! it also lasted over 8hrs on my skin which is something a lot of foundations can't do for me. now i wouldn't say that once i run out of this i'll be jetting out to get more but for the time being it is a nice replacement for my bare minerals.

edit: after using this for a week my skin became way too dry to the point where any foundation looked terrible. shame because this did have a beautiful finish.

on 9/24/2012 1:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Packaging is great and the fresh milled grinder is a step up from powder foundations... But that doesn't matter cause the product itself kinda sucks. It's chalky looking on and drying. Even when I moisturizer and put a little concealer under my eyes, then buffed this stuff on with the brush it came with, It made my skin look older and pasty. Not an attractive look by any means. I purchased this in hope to find a better love than my long term six year relationship with bare minerals foundation. Didn't stand a chance. Honestly, when I think of this product... The only word that comes to mind is chalky... Just a chalky dry pasty look. I'm not one today don't try something, cause I've have tried EVERYTHING... But I really don't think you should waste your money on this one. It's too pricey to deliver such crap results.

on 9/15/2012 12:45:00 PM

I am on my second of this product, the minute I started running out I had to buy more. It does everything it claims, it's a great finishing powder although I use it alone (no foundation) and it works great for alone use as well.

I really really love the fresh grind feature, the only thing I would change is the little brush has to be kept separate and if I want to take it anywhere it's annoying to figure out what to do with it.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Lasts all day over my makeup, doesn't settle into fine lines as much as most other powders do and looks natural. I prefer a happy medium between dewy and matte and Smashbox Halo definately fits the bill. I've noticed that the finish is nice no matter what type of foundation I have on underneath, expensive but I would definately repurchase!

on 9/2/2012 4:33:00 PM

Bought this powder to use as a foundation as had been using Clinique Superbalance powder but it brought me out in spots. Personally its no good as a foundation on its own, perhaps best as just a powder over liquid foundation.

Colour selection good, didn't break me out, no talc and no parabens but sadly it didnt control the oil and didnt stay put for long enough.

Top Rated Smashbox Products